Sneakily, I'm starting a new thread here, because I know new threads
get read more often than old ones. Meanwhile in reality I'm expanding
on ("replying to") a note by Filip Dreger in Timothy Pruett's "failed
7DRL" thread.

> Now here is a good idea for a 7DRL. You are a aueen (queens move just
> like ordinary RL characters) moving through a giantic, strangely
> shaped board. All 'monsters' are chess pieces, with their ordinary
> movement and attack styles, the difference being - pieces do not take
> place of someone they killed. It would require a great AI, but would
> really be a great game. Probably the levels should not be random, as
> this may lead to traffic jams (bishop or pawn can not traverse a
> square wide corridor).

Funny, I've been thinking on and off about something like this for
quite a while now. Only thinking, though, because of the minor
complication that I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag.

Here's the conception I had:

* Player classes are based on the pieces in classical chess, plus
perhaps some of the extended pieces used in variants, such as the
superknight. During the game design phase, various abilities are
assigned a point cost. Classes have the movement abilities one would
expect for their class, and their remaining benefits are balanced out
based on the "points" left over (still talking about game design phase
here) after that. Players would also have a point system for buying
abilities. Some classes' benefit would be discounted purchasing of
abilities, or perhaps simply more purchase points to start with.

To keep things from getting any more complicated than this scheme would
already be, there would be but one race (the "Alicinians", of course).

Examples:

The pawn class would literally start out with no movement except a
1-square vertical, upward movement and 1-square upward vertical
attacks. But to make up for it, it would start with an unusually large
purchasing capacity (and probably good HP and melee -- pawns as
"grunts"). I.e. flexibility.

The queen class would have the typical queen movement options, but very
little flexibility to purchase anything else.

* Attacking does not necessarily include moving, similarly to Filip's
note.
* Considered both deterministic and non-deterministic combat;
non-deterministic would certainly be more thematic and elegant.
* Maps would generally be quite "open", to avoid the "stuck piece"
problem. Exceptions would be levels where the monster mix meant such
problems are avoidable, and thematic maps (e.g. "black" squares only
and lots of "black-square" bishops).
* Opportunities for puzzle maps abound, but Sokoban syndrome (player
feels compelled to do "optional" puzzle level even if he doesn't enjoy
it) is to be avoided.
* Monsters would be based on classical pieces at first, and moreover
only gradually start including the nastier classical pieces.
* Buyable abilities would include all the standard and many variant
chess moves and attacks (separately, plus a third category for attacks
that include movement upon victory), plus more roguelikish things like
spells, offensive/defensive boosters, etc.
* The usual scale of permanent and expendable items would be generated
and would normally provide quite roguelikish things like attack/defense
boosters and roguelikish abilities, but a few powerful ones (mostly
expendables at first) would provide movement options normally
restricted to the more powerful pieces.
* Staircases would be "pawn-friendly" at first, i.e. vertically aligned
up stairs for each set of down stairs, and would likewise start out
"bishop-friendly", but eventually these map generation restrictions
would be loosened, then disappear entirely (the player will be expected
to gain the needed movement capabilities, whether via spell, innate
ability, item power, or expendables).
* Ability points and purchases granted upon level ups. "Save and spend"
rather than "use it or lose it."
* Candidate for theme: You, a delegate of the defeated Aliceinians,
have come to the Land of the Red Queen to offer peace. You find you are
offered no welcome at all. Perhaps by the time you reach the Queen, you
can return the favor by altering the outcome of the war?

Erik

Twisted One wrote:
> "Sokoban syndrome"?

There's this little game named Nethack you may have heard of with an
optional area you may have heard of that amounts to a few rounds of a
certain puzzle game named Sokoban. Some people like it. Some don't.
Many, AFAIK, feel compelled to do it, even if they don't like it,
because they feel they'll fall behind if they don't reap the rewards.

I do hope you're not pulling my leg.

Erik

erisdiscordia wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
>
>>"Sokoban syndrome"?
>
> There's this little game named Nethack you may have heard of with an
> optional area you may have heard of that amounts to a few rounds of a
> certain puzzle game named Sokoban. Some people like it. Some don't.
> Many, AFAIK, feel compelled to do it, even if they don't like it,
> because they feel they'll fall behind if they don't reap the rewards.
>
> I do hope you're not pulling my leg.

I'm not. I never did get far in Nethack. What exactly is this Sokoban
thing though?

Uzytkownik "Twisted One" <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> napisal w
wiadomosci news:f-adnfhSM9NyHPvfRVn-1Q@rogers.com...
> I'm not. I never did get far in Nethack. What exactly is this
> Sokoban thing though?

Rather hard to describe. You will find the details here:
http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~games/Sokoban/
("sokoban syndrome" was probably not googlable, but sokoban itself
certainly is - and it would be polite of you to look it up before
asking; don't be surprised if someone points it out in an unpleasant
fashion)

regards,
Filip Dreger

Uzytkownik "erisdiscordia" <erik@sky.cz> napisal w wiadomosci

> Funny, I've been thinking on and off about something like this for
> quite a while now. Only thinking, though, because of the minor
> complication that I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag.

Mmmm... can you program at all?
I think the game should be simpler than what you described. Adding
features and movement types makes game less unique with each addition,
to the pointt when it becomes indistinguishable from other RLs. It's
like with mixing paint: if you add to many different colors, you end
up with gray.
If the player was a queen, they could freely move around, while the
monsters would have more specific movement patterns (and maybe AIs) -
this would make game interesting. If only the enemies were restricted
to move in a very specific way, it would be easier to arrange them:
eg. white pawns would always begin against the southern wall, and
black ones - northern. On the whole, chessrogue seems doable. Would
you participate in such project?

Ewige blumenkraft,
Filip Dreger

Filip Dreger wrote:
> Uzytkownik "erisdiscordia" <erik@sky.cz> napisal w wiadomosci
>
> > Funny, I've been thinking on and off about [a chesslike roguelike]
for
> > quite a while now. Only thinking, though, because of the minor
> > complication that I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag.
>
> Mmmm... can you program at all?

Let's say not. I can tinker with existing code (in the privacy of my
own home mind you ;-)), I can do a hello world, and that's about it.

[different conception than mine]
> you participate in such project?

Not sure if the participation would be worth a damn, but I wouldn't be
opposed to helping implement a different conception than mine, if
that's what you mean.

Erik

erisdiscordia wrote:
*SNIP*
> Here's the conception I had:
>
> * Player classes are based on the pieces in classical chess, plus
> perhaps some of the extended pieces used in variants, such as the
> superknight. During the game design phase, various abilities are
> assigned a point cost. Classes have the movement abilities one would
> expect for their class, and their remaining benefits are balanced out
> based on the "points" left over (still talking about game design phase
> here) after that. Players would also have a point system for buying
> abilities. Some classes' benefit would be discounted purchasing of
> abilities, or perhaps simply more purchase points to start with.
>
> To keep things from getting any more complicated than this scheme would
> already be, there would be but one race (the "Alicinians", of course).
*SNIP*

Interesting. Homage should be paid in the RL to
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Harry Potter,
Archon etc.

Reminds me of the buttonmen dice game being
converted to an RPG/RL... perhaps with a few
more 7DRL the guys here will of converted
every other game into a form of RL!!!!
http://www.buttonmen.dhs.org

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk

Neo?TwistedOne?PaulD?Neodymium?Kydaimon?Twisted medals
- haha: 1 ignored: E wrong: 9 troll: 1E ontopic: <NULL> -

> [different conception than mine]
>> you participate in such project?
>
> Not sure if the participation would be worth a damn, but I wouldn't
> be
> opposed to helping implement a different conception than mine, if
> that's what you mean.

I was thinking about chessrogue in terms of another 7DRL. I think
making a real 7drl requires the pressure of other people taking the
challenge at the same time , so I'll wait for aniother official
edition with my entry. And entering the 7drl as a team might make the
chances of success even better :)

regards,
Filip

Filip Dreger wrote:
> I was thinking about chessrogue in terms of another 7DRL. I think
> making a real 7drl requires the pressure of other people taking the
> challenge at the same time , so I'll wait for aniother official
> edition with my entry. And entering the 7drl as a team might make the
> chances of success even better :)

Chancess of success? They are high anyway.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

erisdiscordia wrote:

> * Candidate for theme: You, a delegate of the defeated Aliceinians,
> have come to the Land of the Red Queen to offer peace. You find you
> are offered no welcome at all. Perhaps by the time you reach the
> Queen, you can return the favor by altering the outcome of the war?

Ok, when do you want ChessRL to be ready? ;-D