Modern RL Idea

During breaks from working on ASCIIWorld, I've been tossing around
some other ideas for roguelikes to make later. Lately, my interests
have been in working out an interesting idea for a modern RL.

Picture this. Solid Snake-ish special forces guy. Well-trained, in
peak phyical condition, and outfitted with high-tech doodads and
weaponry. Combat is deadly and typically game-ending, forcing well
placed shots and stealth tactics to be of the utmost importance.

The main objective of the game would be to recover some secret
blueprints, assassinate some terrorist leader, stop the missile from
launching, etc. Nothing unique here, just your typical secret agent
stuff. One of the benefits of such a setting, is that there is no
shortage of stock henchman to deal with, and plenty of possibilities
for mini-bosses.

Obviously, stealth weapons would be ideal in most situations.
Thankfully, most guns can be used in conjunction with a silencer,
leaving plenty of possibilities, from the classic silenced pistol, to
the sniper rifle, to a silenced sub-machine gun. Also, when you
factor in hand-to-hand killing methods, there should be no shortage of
variety when it comes to dealing with enemies, in a stealthy manner.
Also, there's nothing stopping a player from using ordinary, noisy
weapons, when stealth is unnecessary.

One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
there should be no lacking in general carnage.

Overall, I think a setting like this would a great deal of fun, and
should nicely fill a certain untouched niche in the genre.

Like always, and suggestions or critique are more than welcome. :-)

--
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'

-- The Book.
34 answers Last reply
More about modern idea
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Timothy Pruett wrote:
    [idea snipped]
    > Like always, and suggestions or critique are more than welcome. :-)

    I had a similar thought after playing through Metal Gear Solid 3. But I
    am horrible when it comes to coding larger stuff than a "Hello World".
    The main problem with stealthy RL action I see is that you probably need
    facing. But I would love it when somebody does such a game.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Timothy Pruett wrote:
    > One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no
    RL
    > has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
    > it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM!

    My project has dynamite which works the same way. I also have planned
    smoke bombs to create smoke screen and even moveable cannon! These
    items just were must to have, because I'm planning to create a kind
    of physics engine which causes more "realistic" damage to the
    environment.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Jakub Debski wrote:
    > You haven't seen my game Xenocide? Maybe I should start to advertise
    it?
    > I wish to have more free time to work on Xeno... :/

    I was just wondering one thing. When you set the bomb it will take
    couple of turns to explode. What happens if the player enters next
    level before the grenade/bomb/whatever explodes? In my game there
    is only one level structure in memory at a time so the bomb in the
    previous level can't explode..
    I planned to explode the bomb while player is at the stairs
    (before switching to the next level). Like if it would take player
    some turns (enough for all bombs to explode) to climb the stairs:)
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Dnia Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:39 -0400, Timothy Pruett napisa³(a):
    > [cut]
    > One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
    > has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
    > it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
    > other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
    > there should be no lacking in general carnage.

    You haven't seen my game Xenocide? Maybe I should start to advertise it?
    I wish to have more free time to work on Xeno... :/

    regards,
    Jakub
    --
    "We're just toys in the hands of Xom"
    xenocide.e-plan.pl - SF roguelike in development

    Jakub Debski wrote:
    > Dnia Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:39 -0400, Timothy Pruett napisa³(a):
    >
    >>[cut]
    >>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
    >>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
    >>it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
    >>other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
    >>there should be no lacking in general carnage.
    >

    > You haven't seen my game Xenocide? Maybe I should start to advertise it?
    > I wish to have more free time to work on Xeno... :/

    I've played Xenocide a bit, but right around the time I started with
    that, I started working on my own project again, so I never got very
    far in it. I didn't know it had grenades, but, then again, I got
    nowhere, and barely remember it at that. I'll have to pick it up
    again and start playing soon, since it was quite fun. ;-)

    --
    "There are of course many problems connected with life, of
    which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'
    `Why do they die?' `Why do they spend so much of the
    intervening time wearing digital watches?'"

    -- The Book.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
    >One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
    >has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades.

    SLASH'EM, for one.
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
    Today is Chedday, April.

    David Damerell wrote:
    > Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
    >
    >>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
    >>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades.
    >

    > SLASH'EM, for one.

    Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
    more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
    grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?

    --
    "There are of course many problems connected with life, of
    which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'
    `Why do they die?' `Why do they spend so much of the
    intervening time wearing digital watches?'"

    -- The Book.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
    > I planned to explode the bomb while player is at the stairs (before
    > switching to the next level). Like if it would take player some turns
    > (enough for all bombs to explode) to climb the stairs:)

    Of course, you would remove the player from the map, and then explode
    the bomb, right? Or would you let a player who dropped a 10-turn grenade
    and then went up the stairs blow themself up?

    Seems like a good enough hack, though. (Not good enough for me, though;
    I've implemented consistant timing across levels. It was easy. Hopefully
    it will remain algorythmically practical.)

    --
    Jim Strathmeyer
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Ah.... when will we see shockfrost again???

    --
    Slash
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Timothy Pruett wrote:
    > David Damerell wrote:
    >
    >> Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
    >>
    >>> One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no
    >>> RL has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades.
    >>
    >> SLASH'EM, for one.
    >
    > Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
    > more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
    > grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?

    http://www.thetombs.com has a modern weapons class,
    although I haven't found what weapons those are yet.

    DRL of course has rocket propelled grenades - YAY!

    --
    WhoIs Neo*?TwistedOne?Kydaimon?Twisted?Bogey?Booger?Zargon?PaulD
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030625041733/www.globalserve.net/~derbyshire/mrant.html

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Timothy Pruett wrote:
    >
    >> David Damerell wrote:

    >>> SLASH'EM, for one.
    >>
    >> Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
    >> more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
    >> grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?
    >
    > http://www.thetombs.com has a modern weapons class,
    > although I haven't found what weapons those are yet.
    >
    > DRL of course has rocket propelled grenades - YAY!

    All quite innocuous.

    But then he appends another copy of that spammy little bunch of numbers
    and stuff that incorrectly associated my 'nym with someone else's web
    page, calls me a liar, etc. ...

    Have you got nothing better to do???

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:

    > All quite innocuous.
    >
    > But then he appends another copy of that spammy little bunch of numbers
    > and stuff that incorrectly associated my 'nym with someone else's web
    > page, calls me a liar, etc. ...

    oopsie, another offtopic post. The numbers that script posts in
    his sig just got worse as a result. Or hadn't you figured that
    out yet?

    I wouldn't worry about it if I were you; he'll probably stop soon
    after you quit annoying him. And hey, that's really easy, isn't
    it?

    Bear
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Ray Dillinger wrote:
    > oopsie, another offtopic post. The numbers that script posts in

    That script shouldn't even be there. Its sole purpose is to be inflammatory.

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Ray Dillinger wrote:
    >
    >> oopsie, another offtopic post. The numbers that script posts in
    >

    > That script shouldn't even be there. Its sole purpose is to be
    > inflammatory.

    And here I thought that its purpose might be to teach you a
    valuable lesson about maturity and futility and the consequences
    of being consistently annoying.

    Bear
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Ray Dillinger wrote:
    >> That script shouldn't even be there. Its sole purpose is to be
    >> inflammatory.
    >
    > And here I thought that its purpose might be to [insults deleted]

    That is off-topic for this group whether one agrees with it or not.

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Ray Dillinger wrote:
    >

    >> And here I thought that its purpose might be to [insults deleted]
    >

    > That is off-topic for this group whether one agrees with it or not.

    So? It was in a post that was on-topic, which is more than
    either of us can say for this exchange. And I reiterate;
    he'll probably stop doing it shortly after you stop annoying
    him. And it's really easy to stop annoying him.

    But this is offtopic; to continue this thread is to wallow
    in loser-ness, and I'll stop now. I suggest you do the same.

    As I said in another post, now or later you have to choose
    how this fight ends. And the only thing you have control
    over whether to stop about this fight is your participation.

    Bear
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
    > Of course, you would remove the player from the map, and then explode
    > the bomb, right?

    Yes.

    > Or would you let a player who dropped a 10-turn grenade
    > and then went up the stairs blow themself up?

    I guess some players could wait at the stairs for enemies, then
    drop the bomb and escape to the next level. Maybe it's better
    just blow it before the player leaves. That will teach to be
    careful with dynamites.

    > Seems like a good enough hack, though. (Not good enough for me,
    though;
    > I've implemented consistant timing across levels.

    What is a consistant timing?
    Btw the event system is a bit too much for my programming skills.
    For example I found out that if I set a fuse of dynamites and throw
    one away it doesn't explode because it has different id. The event
    stores the item's id, but I'm now aware that the id can change.
    Also the item can be destroyed and the event code doesn't know it.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Krice wrote:

    > I was just wondering one thing. When you set the bomb it will take
    > couple of turns to explode. What happens if the player enters next
    > level before the grenade/bomb/whatever explodes? In my game there
    > is only one level structure in memory at a time so the bomb in the
    > previous level can't explode..
    > I planned to explode the bomb while player is at the stairs
    > (before switching to the next level). Like if it would take player
    > some turns (enough for all bombs to explode) to climb the stairs:)

    When the player throws a bomb and then hits the stairs, just store
    the level with the bomb on it.

    If the player ever returns to that level, you will know then how
    many turns later the player is returning. So wait until then to
    run time forward for the level the player is entering; explode
    bombs, advance timers, let monsters wander an appropriate distance
    back toward their lairs, etc. - and *then* put the player back
    into the map.

    Bear
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
    > What is a consistant timing?

    I just meant to express that time also passes on the maps/levels that
    you aren't on. The maps are actually on a priority queue, the same way
    that creatures on a map are in a priority queue. So when a player goes
    to another level, time still passes on the previous level, and monsters
    can even go up and down stairs to go after or escape from the player. It
    works well for me right now because my game is small, and will probably
    stay small. As the game gets bigger than a simple dungeon, I will have
    to find some way to deal with the computational complexity involved.
    (Threading, or just faking things away from the player, ie what's the
    result when the group of 20 orcs ambushes 30 travelers, but then 4 royal
    knights happen to pass by, instead of doing it turn for turn.)

    Also, some people mentioned using old machines to test the efficiency of
    their games. Doesn't anybody use profiling? I implemented profiling when
    I took a Computer Gaming class and don't remember it being very hard,
    and also remember it being very helpful/cool. Profiling is definitely
    done in all modern games, and seems like a much better alternative to
    just trying your game on an old CPU, though I've never seen an roguelike
    'article' about it anywhere.

    --
    Jim Strathmeyer
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
    > Btw the event system is a bit too much for my programming skills.
    > For example I found out that if I set a fuse of dynamites and throw
    > one away it doesn't explode because it has different id. The event
    > stores the item's id, but I'm now aware that the id can change.
    > Also the item can be destroyed and the event code doesn't know it.

    Then ask for help! That's what we're here for!

    Why does the ID change? When you change it, why cna't you also change it
    in the event-system? When the item is destroyed, why can't you inform
    the event-system? Feel free to post code.

    --
    Jim Strathmeyer
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Dnia 22 Apr 2005 12:31:10 -0700, Krice napisa³(a):
    > I was just wondering one thing. When you set the bomb it will take
    > couple of turns to explode. What happens if the player enters next
    > level before the grenade/bomb/whatever explodes? In my game there
    > is only one level structure in memory at a time so the bomb in the
    > previous level can't explode..

    Just as Ray wrote: the time (max 1000 turns) passes on the level,
    but without player. The game shows "Please wait, calculating changes"
    message and then player appears on the level.

    Moreover - in my game stairs are not safe to run away through.
    Monsters can follow player even when they are further that 1 cell from
    stairs.

    regards,
    Jakub
    --
    "We're just toys in the hands of Xom"
    xenocide.e-plan.pl - SF roguelike in development
    www.graveyard.uni.cc - visit Roguelike Graveyard
    www.alamak0ta.republika.pl - my other projects
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Jim Strathmeyer wrote:

    > Also, some people mentioned using old machines to test the efficiency of
    > their games. Doesn't anybody use profiling? I implemented profiling when
    > I took a Computer Gaming class and don't remember it being very hard,
    > and also remember it being very helpful/cool.

    Testing on old machines will tell you whether it runs acceptably on your
    minimum target hardware. It's how you get absolute numbers like "200 FPS
    on a Tritium II Pro at 57Thz."

    Otherwise, you use a profiler to find out *why* it's not running so
    well. A profiler gives you relative numbers, like "Out of 23:00 total
    CPU time, 87% was spent in function foo()" - which tells you that time
    spent optimizing foo() would be very well spent.

    Neither testing method will adequately replace the other - you need to
    do both.

    sherm--

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
    >David Damerell wrote:
    >>Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
    >>>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
    >>>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades.
    >>SLASH'EM, for one.
    >Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
    >more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
    >grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?

    Time-delayed, except when fired from a grenade launcher. The delay varies
    a lot with cursed grenades, somewhat with uncursed, and not at all with
    blessed.
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
    Today is Potmos, May.

    Dnia Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:35:42 -0500,
    Jim Strathmeyer napisal(a):

    > Also, some people mentioned using old machines to test the efficiency of
    > their games. Doesn't anybody use profiling? I implemented profiling when
    > I took a Computer Gaming class and don't remember it being very hard,
    > and also remember it being very helpful/cool. Profiling is definitely
    > done in all modern games, and seems like a much better alternative to
    > just trying your game on an old CPU, though I've never seen an roguelike
    > 'article' about it anywhere.

    You think you could write one? Please?

    --
    Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
    `The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

    The Sheep <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
    > Jim Strathmeyer napisal(a):
    >> [blabering about in game profiling]
    > You think you could write one? Please?

    There should be one in one of the Game Programming Gems books. I'll take
    a look when I get home and have the time. (Could be awhile...)

    Anything I write would also be very implementation specific. Like, it
    would be Linux/Cygwin C++ and using my Singleton class...

    --
    Jim Strathmeyer
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    David Damerell wrote::

    > Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
    >
    >>David Damerell wrote:

    >>>SLASH'EM, for one.
    >>
    >>Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
    >>more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
    >>grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?
    >
    > Time-delayed, except when fired from a grenade launcher. The delay varies
    > a lot with cursed grenades, somewhat with uncursed, and not at all with
    > blessed.

    And monster can pick them up an throw them back at you :)

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
    > Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
    >
    >>Btw the event system is a bit too much for my programming skills.
    >>For example I found out that if I set a fuse of dynamites and throw
    >>one away it doesn't explode because it has different id. The event
    >>stores the item's id, but I'm now aware that the id can change.
    >>Also the item can be destroyed and the event code doesn't know it.
    >
    > Then ask for help! That's what we're here for!
    >
    > Why does the ID change? When you change it, why cna't you also change it
    > in the event-system? When the item is destroyed, why can't you inform
    > the event-system? Feel free to post code.

    This is the sort of place where pointers or transparent, assignable
    references (such as Java and Smalltalk variables, aside from Java
    primitive types like int) would be useful. The trick is double
    indirection: various places refer to a handle object, which in turn
    refers to the actual object data structure. The reference to the data
    structure is localized to just one site, so you can hot-swap objects
    easily. This sort of thing is in all high level OO languages for a very
    good reason, besides general usefulness: these systems need to
    physically move objects to consolidate free space after each GC sweep.

  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
    > Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
    > > What is a consistant timing?
    >
    > I just meant to express that time also passes on the maps/levels that
    > you aren't on. The maps are actually on a priority queue, the same
    way
    > that creatures on a map are in a priority queue. So when a player
    goes
    > to another level, time still passes on the previous level, and
    monsters
    > can even go up and down stairs to go after or escape from the player.
    It
    > works well for me right now because my game is small, and will
    probably
    > stay small. As the game gets bigger than a simple dungeon, I will
    have
    > to find some way to deal with the computational complexity involved.
    > (Threading, or just faking things away from the player, ie what's the
    > result when the group of 20 orcs ambushes 30 travelers, but then 4
    royal
    > knights happen to pass by, instead of doing it turn for turn.)
    >
    > Also, some people mentioned using old machines to test the efficiency
    of
    > their games. Doesn't anybody use profiling? I implemented profiling
    when
    > I took a Computer Gaming class and don't remember it being very hard,
    > and also remember it being very helpful/cool. Profiling is definitely
    > done in all modern games, and seems like a much better alternative to
    > just trying your game on an old CPU, though I've never seen an
    roguelike
    > 'article' about it anywhere.

    I did quite a bit of profiling for Guild (using the inbuilt tool in
    Visual Studio), it beats the hell out of just guessing which part of
    your program is slow. There is a bit of an initial learning curve which
    can be offputting, but it's worth it (if your game runs slowly).

    For me the big time costs were AI (especially some parts of the AI: for
    example the code for scared monsters running away turned out to be much
    more time-consuming than that for aggressive monsters attacking),
    pathfinding, LOS (although this got better when I stopped recalculating
    the LOS of every group of monsters in every turn), and certain lookups
    that I did very frequently. This was very helpful in directing my
    optimising efforts (otherwise I might have wasted time rewriting code
    which looked inefficient but didn't actually waste much run time).

    It also led me to simplifying some parts of the functionality - for
    instance, measuring the loudness of a sound in terms of the crow-flies
    distance from noise to hearer, rather than the shortest clear path
    through the corridors.

    I never figured out, though, how to subtract the time spent waiting for
    keyboard input from the profile. There must be some way of doing it.

    A.
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
    > Why does the ID change?

    Dynamites can be stacked. If one dynamite is thrown away the engine
    creates a duplicate of it with different ID of course.

    > When you change it, why cna't you also change it in the event-system?

    Maybe in the duplicate code check if the ID has some event going on
    and create another event of the same kind.

    > When the item is destroyed, why can't you inform
    > the event-system?

    Of course I can:)
    The problem is that I have a vague idea of what to do, but it's
    probably not the best way to do it and that leads to a lot of
    re-programming work.. Sometimes I envy the people who are much
    better programmers and who know exactly how to get things work
    properly in the first place.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > Otherwise, you use a profiler to find out *why* it's not running so
    > well.

    Some time ago I tried to find a free profiler for DevC++.. It seems
    that there aren't many of them around..
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Krice wrote:
    > Sometimes I envy the people who are much
    > better programmers and who know exactly how to get things work
    > properly in the first place.

    That comes with experience.

  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:39 -0400, Timothy Pruett
    <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> wrote:

    >One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
    >has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
    >it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
    >other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
    >there should be no lacking in general carnage.

    So, a turn in the game would be one second? That's slicing things
    pretty fine. I don't think I'd bother with the delay on grenades.
    Ideally, you time them so they explode about the time they land, so
    the enemy doesn't get a chance to throw them back or have a heroic
    squad member fall on it, leaving the rest all hot to avenge their
    martyred buddy. I'm not saying there isn't a place for timed
    explosives, but I'd abstract grenade to a one turn throw-and-blow
    weapon not much different than a fireball. (Except that you'd take
    into account throwing accuracy/range and it sure wouldn't be an
    Angband fireball that doesn't hurt the caster.)

    R. Dan Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com
    Idiot boy, when are you going to post something useful?
    Or better yet, get a job and stop being a welfare bum?
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On 2005-04-26, Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
    > Some time ago I tried to find a free profiler for DevC++.. It seems
    > that there aren't many of them around..

    Since Dev-C++ uses MinGW gcc as its compiler, you should be able to use
    GNU's gprof as a profiler. It might even be included in the Dev-C++
    distribution, or then you'll need to look for the MinGW or Cygwin port
    of gprof.

    --
    Risto Saarelma
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:39 -0400, Timothy Pruett
    > <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
    >>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
    >>it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
    >>other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
    >>there should be no lacking in general carnage.
    >
    > So, a turn in the game would be one second? That's slicing things
    > pretty fine. I don't think I'd bother with the delay on grenades.
    > Ideally, you time them so they explode about the time they land, so
    > the enemy doesn't get a chance to throw them back or have a heroic
    > squad member fall on it, leaving the rest all hot to avenge their
    > martyred buddy. I'm not saying there isn't a place for timed
    > explosives, but I'd abstract grenade to a one turn throw-and-blow
    > weapon not much different than a fireball. (Except that you'd take
    > into account throwing accuracy/range and it sure wouldn't be an
    > Angband fireball that doesn't hurt the caster.)

    Lets not forget the critical failure too -
    dropping the grenade at your feet ala
    "Napola" the movie.

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

Development Video Games