Modern RL Idea

Last response: in Video Games
April 21, 2005 9:55:39 PM

During breaks from working on ASCIIWorld, I've been tossing around
some other ideas for roguelikes to make later. Lately, my interests
have been in working out an interesting idea for a modern RL.

Picture this. Solid Snake-ish special forces guy. Well-trained, in
peak phyical condition, and outfitted with high-tech doodads and
weaponry. Combat is deadly and typically game-ending, forcing well
placed shots and stealth tactics to be of the utmost importance.

The main objective of the game would be to recover some secret
blueprints, assassinate some terrorist leader, stop the missile from
launching, etc. Nothing unique here, just your typical secret agent
stuff. One of the benefits of such a setting, is that there is no
shortage of stock henchman to deal with, and plenty of possibilities
for mini-bosses.

Obviously, stealth weapons would be ideal in most situations.
Thankfully, most guns can be used in conjunction with a silencer,
leaving plenty of possibilities, from the classic silenced pistol, to
the sniper rifle, to a silenced sub-machine gun. Also, when you
factor in hand-to-hand killing methods, there should be no shortage of
variety when it comes to dealing with enemies, in a stealthy manner.
Also, there's nothing stopping a player from using ordinary, noisy
weapons, when stealth is unnecessary.

One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
there should be no lacking in general carnage.

Overall, I think a setting like this would a great deal of fun, and
should nicely fill a certain untouched niche in the genre.

Like always, and suggestions or critique are more than welcome. :-)

--
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'

-- The Book.

More about : modern idea

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:51:11 AM

Timothy Pruett wrote:
[idea snipped]
> Like always, and suggestions or critique are more than welcome. :-)

I had a similar thought after playing through Metal Gear Solid 3. But I
am horrible when it comes to coding larger stuff than a "Hello World".
The main problem with stealthy RL action I see is that you probably need
facing. But I would love it when somebody does such a game.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 5:34:15 AM

Timothy Pruett wrote:
> One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no
RL
> has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
> it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM!

My project has dynamite which works the same way. I also have planned
smoke bombs to create smoke screen and even moveable cannon! These
items just were must to have, because I'm planning to create a kind
of physics engine which causes more "realistic" damage to the
environment.
April 22, 2005 4:31:10 PM

Jakub Debski wrote:
> You haven't seen my game Xenocide? Maybe I should start to advertise
it?
> I wish to have more free time to work on Xeno... :/

I was just wondering one thing. When you set the bomb it will take
couple of turns to explode. What happens if the player enters next
level before the grenade/bomb/whatever explodes? In my game there
is only one level structure in memory at a time so the bomb in the
previous level can't explode..
I planned to explode the bomb while player is at the stairs
(before switching to the next level). Like if it would take player
some turns (enough for all bombs to explode) to climb the stairs:)
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 4:49:27 PM

Dnia Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:39 -0400, Timothy Pruett napisa³(a):
> [cut]
> One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
> has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
> it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
> other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
> there should be no lacking in general carnage.

You haven't seen my game Xenocide? Maybe I should start to advertise it?
I wish to have more free time to work on Xeno... :/

regards,
Jakub
--
"We're just toys in the hands of Xom"
xenocide.e-plan.pl - SF roguelike in development

Jakub Debski wrote:
> Dnia Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:39 -0400, Timothy Pruett napisa³(a):
>
>>[cut]
>>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
>>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
>>it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
>>other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
>>there should be no lacking in general carnage.
>

> You haven't seen my game Xenocide? Maybe I should start to advertise it?
> I wish to have more free time to work on Xeno... :/

I've played Xenocide a bit, but right around the time I started with
that, I started working on my own project again, so I never got very
far in it. I didn't know it had grenades, but, then again, I got
nowhere, and barely remember it at that. I'll have to pick it up
again and start playing soon, since it was quite fun. ;-)

--
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'
`Why do they die?' `Why do they spend so much of the
intervening time wearing digital watches?'"

-- The Book.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:34:17 PM

Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades.

SLASH'EM, for one.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Chedday, April.

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
>
>>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
>>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades.
>

> SLASH'EM, for one.

Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?

--
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'
`Why do they die?' `Why do they spend so much of the
intervening time wearing digital watches?'"

-- The Book.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 8:39:31 PM

Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
> I planned to explode the bomb while player is at the stairs (before
> switching to the next level). Like if it would take player some turns
> (enough for all bombs to explode) to climb the stairs:)

Of course, you would remove the player from the map, and then explode
the bomb, right? Or would you let a player who dropped a 10-turn grenade
and then went up the stairs blow themself up?

Seems like a good enough hack, though. (Not good enough for me, though;
I've implemented consistant timing across levels. It was easy. Hopefully
it will remain algorythmically practical.)

--
Jim Strathmeyer
Anonymous

Ah.... when will we see shockfrost again???

--
Slash
Anonymous

Timothy Pruett wrote:
> David Damerell wrote:
>
>> Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no
>>> RL has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades.
>>
>> SLASH'EM, for one.
>
> Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
> more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
> grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?

http://www.thetombs.com has a modern weapons class,
although I haven't found what weapons those are yet.

DRL of course has rocket propelled grenades - YAY!

--
WhoIs Neo*?TwistedOne?Kydaimon?Twisted?Bogey?Booger?Zargon?PaulD
http://web.archive.org/web/20030625041733/www.globalser...

ABCGi wrote:
> Timothy Pruett wrote:
>
>> David Damerell wrote:

>>> SLASH'EM, for one.
>>
>> Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
>> more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
>> grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?
>
> http://www.thetombs.com has a modern weapons class,
> although I haven't found what weapons those are yet.
>
> DRL of course has rocket propelled grenades - YAY!

All quite innocuous.

But then he appends another copy of that spammy little bunch of numbers
and stuff that incorrectly associated my 'nym with someone else's web
page, calls me a liar, etc. ...

Have you got nothing better to do???

April 23, 2005 4:07:41 PM

Twisted One wrote:

> All quite innocuous.
>
> But then he appends another copy of that spammy little bunch of numbers
> and stuff that incorrectly associated my 'nym with someone else's web
> page, calls me a liar, etc. ...

oopsie, another offtopic post. The numbers that script posts in
his sig just got worse as a result. Or hadn't you figured that
out yet?

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you; he'll probably stop soon
after you quit annoying him. And hey, that's really easy, isn't
it?

Bear
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:07:42 PM

Ray Dillinger wrote:
> oopsie, another offtopic post. The numbers that script posts in

That script shouldn't even be there. Its sole purpose is to be inflammatory.

April 23, 2005 4:07:43 PM

Twisted One wrote:
> Ray Dillinger wrote:
>
>> oopsie, another offtopic post. The numbers that script posts in
>

> That script shouldn't even be there. Its sole purpose is to be
> inflammatory.

And here I thought that its purpose might be to teach you a
valuable lesson about maturity and futility and the consequences
of being consistently annoying.

Bear
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:07:44 PM

Ray Dillinger wrote:
>> That script shouldn't even be there. Its sole purpose is to be
>> inflammatory.
>
> And here I thought that its purpose might be to [insults deleted]

That is off-topic for this group whether one agrees with it or not.

April 23, 2005 4:07:45 PM

Twisted One wrote:
> Ray Dillinger wrote:
>

>> And here I thought that its purpose might be to [insults deleted]
>

> That is off-topic for this group whether one agrees with it or not.

So? It was in a post that was on-topic, which is more than
either of us can say for this exchange. And I reiterate;
he'll probably stop doing it shortly after you stop annoying
him. And it's really easy to stop annoying him.

But this is offtopic; to continue this thread is to wallow
in loser-ness, and I'll stop now. I suggest you do the same.

As I said in another post, now or later you have to choose
how this fight ends. And the only thing you have control
over whether to stop about this fight is your participation.

Bear
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:37:47 AM

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> Of course, you would remove the player from the map, and then explode
> the bomb, right?

Yes.

> Or would you let a player who dropped a 10-turn grenade
> and then went up the stairs blow themself up?

I guess some players could wait at the stairs for enemies, then
drop the bomb and escape to the next level. Maybe it's better
just blow it before the player leaves. That will teach to be
careful with dynamites.

> Seems like a good enough hack, though. (Not good enough for me,
though;
> I've implemented consistant timing across levels.

What is a consistant timing?
Btw the event system is a bit too much for my programming skills.
For example I found out that if I set a fuse of dynamites and throw
one away it doesn't explode because it has different id. The event
stores the item's id, but I'm now aware that the id can change.
Also the item can be destroyed and the event code doesn't know it.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:30:38 PM

Krice wrote:

> I was just wondering one thing. When you set the bomb it will take
> couple of turns to explode. What happens if the player enters next
> level before the grenade/bomb/whatever explodes? In my game there
> is only one level structure in memory at a time so the bomb in the
> previous level can't explode..
> I planned to explode the bomb while player is at the stairs
> (before switching to the next level). Like if it would take player
> some turns (enough for all bombs to explode) to climb the stairs:)

When the player throws a bomb and then hits the stairs, just store
the level with the bomb on it.

If the player ever returns to that level, you will know then how
many turns later the player is returning. So wait until then to
run time forward for the level the player is entering; explode
bombs, advance timers, let monsters wander an appropriate distance
back toward their lairs, etc. - and *then* put the player back
into the map.

Bear
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:35:42 PM

Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
> What is a consistant timing?

I just meant to express that time also passes on the maps/levels that
you aren't on. The maps are actually on a priority queue, the same way
that creatures on a map are in a priority queue. So when a player goes
to another level, time still passes on the previous level, and monsters
can even go up and down stairs to go after or escape from the player. It
works well for me right now because my game is small, and will probably
stay small. As the game gets bigger than a simple dungeon, I will have
to find some way to deal with the computational complexity involved.
(Threading, or just faking things away from the player, ie what's the
result when the group of 20 orcs ambushes 30 travelers, but then 4 royal
knights happen to pass by, instead of doing it turn for turn.)

Also, some people mentioned using old machines to test the efficiency of
their games. Doesn't anybody use profiling? I implemented profiling when
I took a Computer Gaming class and don't remember it being very hard,
and also remember it being very helpful/cool. Profiling is definitely
done in all modern games, and seems like a much better alternative to
just trying your game on an old CPU, though I've never seen an roguelike
'article' about it anywhere.

--
Jim Strathmeyer
Anonymous

Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
> Btw the event system is a bit too much for my programming skills.
> For example I found out that if I set a fuse of dynamites and throw
> one away it doesn't explode because it has different id. The event
> stores the item's id, but I'm now aware that the id can change.
> Also the item can be destroyed and the event code doesn't know it.

Then ask for help! That's what we're here for!

Why does the ID change? When you change it, why cna't you also change it
in the event-system? When the item is destroyed, why can't you inform
the event-system? Feel free to post code.

--
Jim Strathmeyer
Anonymous

Dnia 22 Apr 2005 12:31:10 -0700, Krice napisa³(a):
> I was just wondering one thing. When you set the bomb it will take
> couple of turns to explode. What happens if the player enters next
> level before the grenade/bomb/whatever explodes? In my game there
> is only one level structure in memory at a time so the bomb in the
> previous level can't explode..

Just as Ray wrote: the time (max 1000 turns) passes on the level,
but without player. The game shows "Please wait, calculating changes"
message and then player appears on the level.

Moreover - in my game stairs are not safe to run away through.
Monsters can follow player even when they are further that 1 cell from
stairs.

regards,
Jakub
--
"We're just toys in the hands of Xom"
xenocide.e-plan.pl - SF roguelike in development
www.graveyard.uni.cc - visit Roguelike Graveyard
www.alamak0ta.republika.pl - my other projects
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:35:07 PM

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:

> Also, some people mentioned using old machines to test the efficiency of
> their games. Doesn't anybody use profiling? I implemented profiling when
> I took a Computer Gaming class and don't remember it being very hard,
> and also remember it being very helpful/cool.

Testing on old machines will tell you whether it runs acceptably on your
minimum target hardware. It's how you get absolute numbers like "200 FPS
on a Tritium II Pro at 57Thz."

Otherwise, you use a profiler to find out *why* it's not running so
well. A profiler gives you relative numbers, like "Out of 23:00 total
CPU time, 87% was spent in function foo()" - which tells you that time
spent optimizing foo() would be very well spent.

Neither testing method will adequately replace the other - you need to
do both.

sherm--

April 25, 2005 6:11:56 PM

Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
>>>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
>>>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades.
>>SLASH'EM, for one.
>Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
>more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
>grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?

Time-delayed, except when fired from a grenade launcher. The delay varies
a lot with cursed grenades, somewhat with uncursed, and not at all with
blessed.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Potmos, May.

Dnia Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:35:42 -0500,
Jim Strathmeyer napisal(a):

> Also, some people mentioned using old machines to test the efficiency of
> their games. Doesn't anybody use profiling? I implemented profiling when
> I took a Computer Gaming class and don't remember it being very hard,
> and also remember it being very helpful/cool. Profiling is definitely
> done in all modern games, and seems like a much better alternative to
> just trying your game on an old CPU, though I've never seen an roguelike
> 'article' about it anywhere.

You think you could write one? Please?

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
`The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

The Sheep <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Jim Strathmeyer napisal(a):
>> [blabering about in game profiling]
> You think you could write one? Please?

There should be one in one of the Game Programming Gems books. I'll take
a look when I get home and have the time. (Could be awhile...)

Anything I write would also be very implementation specific. Like, it
would be Linux/Cygwin C++ and using my Singleton class...

--
Jim Strathmeyer
Anonymous

David Damerell wrote::

> Quoting Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com>:
>
>>David Damerell wrote:

>>>SLASH'EM, for one.
>>
>>Really? Never played SLASH'EM, so I wouldn't really know. I'm a bit
>>more intrigued to try it now though. Are they actual time-delayed
>>grenades, or ones that just blow up right away?
>
> Time-delayed, except when fired from a grenade launcher. The delay varies
> a lot with cursed grenades, somewhat with uncursed, and not at all with
> blessed.

And monster can pick them up an throw them back at you :)

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
>
>>Btw the event system is a bit too much for my programming skills.
>>For example I found out that if I set a fuse of dynamites and throw
>>one away it doesn't explode because it has different id. The event
>>stores the item's id, but I'm now aware that the id can change.
>>Also the item can be destroyed and the event code doesn't know it.
>
> Then ask for help! That's what we're here for!
>
> Why does the ID change? When you change it, why cna't you also change it
> in the event-system? When the item is destroyed, why can't you inform
> the event-system? Feel free to post code.

This is the sort of place where pointers or transparent, assignable
references (such as Java and Smalltalk variables, aside from Java
primitive types like int) would be useful. The trick is double
indirection: various places refer to a handle object, which in turn
refers to the actual object data structure. The reference to the data
structure is localized to just one site, so you can hot-swap objects
easily. This sort of thing is in all high level OO languages for a very
good reason, besides general usefulness: these systems need to
physically move objects to consolidate free space after each GC sweep.

April 26, 2005 5:54:08 AM

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
> > What is a consistant timing?
>
> I just meant to express that time also passes on the maps/levels that
> you aren't on. The maps are actually on a priority queue, the same
way
> that creatures on a map are in a priority queue. So when a player
goes
> to another level, time still passes on the previous level, and
monsters
> can even go up and down stairs to go after or escape from the player.
It
> works well for me right now because my game is small, and will
probably
> stay small. As the game gets bigger than a simple dungeon, I will
have
> to find some way to deal with the computational complexity involved.
> (Threading, or just faking things away from the player, ie what's the
> result when the group of 20 orcs ambushes 30 travelers, but then 4
royal
> knights happen to pass by, instead of doing it turn for turn.)
>
> Also, some people mentioned using old machines to test the efficiency
of
> their games. Doesn't anybody use profiling? I implemented profiling
when
> I took a Computer Gaming class and don't remember it being very hard,
> and also remember it being very helpful/cool. Profiling is definitely
> done in all modern games, and seems like a much better alternative to
> just trying your game on an old CPU, though I've never seen an
roguelike
> 'article' about it anywhere.

I did quite a bit of profiling for Guild (using the inbuilt tool in
Visual Studio), it beats the hell out of just guessing which part of
your program is slow. There is a bit of an initial learning curve which
can be offputting, but it's worth it (if your game runs slowly).

For me the big time costs were AI (especially some parts of the AI: for
example the code for scared monsters running away turned out to be much
more time-consuming than that for aggressive monsters attacking),
pathfinding, LOS (although this got better when I stopped recalculating
the LOS of every group of monsters in every turn), and certain lookups
that I did very frequently. This was very helpful in directing my
optimising efforts (otherwise I might have wasted time rewriting code
which looked inefficient but didn't actually waste much run time).

It also led me to simplifying some parts of the functionality - for
instance, measuring the loudness of a sound in terms of the crow-flies
distance from noise to hearer, rather than the shortest clear path
through the corridors.

I never figured out, though, how to subtract the time spent waiting for
keyboard input from the profile. There must be some way of doing it.

A.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:45:24 PM

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> Why does the ID change?

Dynamites can be stacked. If one dynamite is thrown away the engine
creates a duplicate of it with different ID of course.

> When you change it, why cna't you also change it in the event-system?

Maybe in the duplicate code check if the ID has some event going on
and create another event of the same kind.

> When the item is destroyed, why can't you inform
> the event-system?

Of course I can:)
The problem is that I have a vague idea of what to do, but it's
probably not the best way to do it and that leads to a lot of
re-programming work.. Sometimes I envy the people who are much
better programmers and who know exactly how to get things work
properly in the first place.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 4:50:42 PM

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Otherwise, you use a profiler to find out *why* it's not running so
> well.

Some time ago I tried to find a free profiler for DevC++.. It seems
that there aren't many of them around..
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:14:59 AM

Krice wrote:
> Sometimes I envy the people who are much
> better programmers and who know exactly how to get things work
> properly in the first place.

That comes with experience.

April 27, 2005 3:33:54 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:39 -0400, Timothy Pruett
<drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> wrote:

>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
>it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
>other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
>there should be no lacking in general carnage.

So, a turn in the game would be one second? That's slicing things
pretty fine. I don't think I'd bother with the delay on grenades.
Ideally, you time them so they explode about the time they land, so
the enemy doesn't get a chance to throw them back or have a heroic
squad member fall on it, leaving the rest all hot to avenge their
martyred buddy. I'm not saying there isn't a place for timed
explosives, but I'd abstract grenade to a one turn throw-and-blow
weapon not much different than a fireball. (Except that you'd take
into account throwing accuracy/range and it sure wouldn't be an
Angband fireball that doesn't hurt the caster.)

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Idiot boy, when are you going to post something useful?
Or better yet, get a job and stop being a welfare bum?
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 12:35:21 PM

On 2005-04-26, Krice <paulkp@mbnet.fi> wrote:
> Some time ago I tried to find a free profiler for DevC++.. It seems
> that there aren't many of them around..

Since Dev-C++ uses MinGW gcc as its compiler, you should be able to use
GNU's gprof as a profiler. It might even be included in the Dev-C++
distribution, or then you'll need to look for the MinGW or Cygwin port
of gprof.

--
Risto Saarelma
Anonymous

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:39 -0400, Timothy Pruett
> <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>One weapon you can use would be particularly fun, mainly because no RL
>>has ever featured the equivalent, to my knowledge. Grenades. Throw
>>it where you want it, and three to five turns later, BOOM! Toss in
>>other fun explosives, like proximity mines, remote mines, etc, and
>>there should be no lacking in general carnage.
>
> So, a turn in the game would be one second? That's slicing things
> pretty fine. I don't think I'd bother with the delay on grenades.
> Ideally, you time them so they explode about the time they land, so
> the enemy doesn't get a chance to throw them back or have a heroic
> squad member fall on it, leaving the rest all hot to avenge their
> martyred buddy. I'm not saying there isn't a place for timed
> explosives, but I'd abstract grenade to a one turn throw-and-blow
> weapon not much different than a fireball. (Except that you'd take
> into account throwing accuracy/range and it sure wouldn't be an
> Angband fireball that doesn't hurt the caster.)

Lets not forget the critical failure too -
dropping the grenade at your feet ala
"Napola" the movie.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!