Javascript Roguelike in progress

Hello,

I've been reading this newsgroup for a couple of years and I've really
found it interesting. I have several roguelike projects on the go at
the moment - in reality they are all the same game, but I seem to be
much better at starting projects than finishing them :)

Anyhow, I thought you might like to have a look at my Javascript
efforts and let me know your opinions/suggestions/ etc. I've been
really impressed by the games developed by some of you guys, and I'd
value your thoughts :)

My roguelike projects webpage is at:
http://www.pagezero.net/roguelike

I hope you like them!

AndyD
14 answers Last reply
More about javascript roguelike progress
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    andyhd wrote:
    > Anyhow, I thought you might like to have a look at my Javascript
    > efforts...

    Nah -- I prefer not to crash my web browser and lose all history/etc. :)

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Uzytkownik "andyhd" <google@pagezero.net> napisal w wiadomosci
    > Anyhow, I thought you might like to have a look at my Javascript
    > efforts and let me know your opinions/suggestions/ etc. I've been
    > really impressed by the games developed by some of you guys, and I'd
    > value your thoughts :)

    I am not one of the impressive guys, but I really liked your
    JavaScript thingies :-) Surprising, how many things are doable with an
    ordinary browser. Shame there is no link to your working Java project,
    as the games in JavaScript are rather simple...
    How do you plan to distribute your Ruby game? Are there tools that
    allow creating executables from Ruby code?

    regards,
    Filip
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Filip Dreger wrote:
    > Uzytkownik "andyhd" <google@pagezero.net> napisal w wiadomosci
    >
    >>Anyhow, I thought you might like to have a look at my Javascript
    >>efforts and let me know your opinions/suggestions/ etc. I've been
    >>really impressed by the games developed by some of you guys, and I'd
    >>value your thoughts :)
    >

    > I am not one of the impressive guys, but I really liked your
    > JavaScript thingies :-) Surprising, how many things are doable with an
    > ordinary browser. Shame there is no link to your working Java project,
    > as the games in JavaScript are rather simple...
    > How do you plan to distribute your Ruby game? Are there tools that
    > allow creating executables from Ruby code?

    AFAIR Yes. At least for Windows. What is sufficient, cause I guess Ruby
    is shipped with every major distro of Linux anyway.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

    Thanks for your comments :-)

    > Shame there is no link to your working Java project,
    > as the games in JavaScript are rather simple...

    I'm confident I can make a real game of the Javascript version, but it
    will take some time. I was thinking about using AJAX techniques to load
    extra levels and such.

    I'll package up the Java version and post a link, since it has more
    working features than any of my other projects, but it is really just
    an engine demo.

    Andy
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    >> Anyhow, I thought you might like to have a look at my Javascript
    >> efforts...

    > Nah -- I prefer not to crash my web browser and lose all history/etc.
    :)

    I promise it won't crash your browser.

    I can't promise it won't install a keylogger that sends all your
    passwords to me though...

    ;-)

    Andy
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > Filip Dreger wrote:
    >> Uzytkownik "andyhd" <goo...@pagezero.net> napisal w wiadomosci

    <snip>

    >> How do you plan to distribute your Ruby game? Are there tools that
    >> allow creating executables from Ruby code?

    > AFAIR Yes. At least for Windows. What is sufficient, cause I guess
    Ruby
    > is shipped with every major distro of Linux anyway.

    Yes, there is exerb, a Ruby Win32 compiler. I will probably release the
    source code, though. Windows people can use rubyinstaller to set up
    Ruby easily.

    Andy
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Christophe Cavalaria wrote:
    > Well, I would have been impressed once. But now that I've seen that :
    > http://193.151.73.87/games/lemmings/ you'll have to code Doom in
    Javascript
    > to impress me again :)

    Heh, Javascript Lemmings is cool. Speaking of Doom, have you seen
    Wolfenstein 5K?
    http://www.wolf5k.com/

    Andy
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Filip Dreger wrote:

    > Uzytkownik "andyhd" <google@pagezero.net> napisal w wiadomosci
    >> Anyhow, I thought you might like to have a look at my Javascript
    >> efforts and let me know your opinions/suggestions/ etc. I've been
    >> really impressed by the games developed by some of you guys, and I'd
    >> value your thoughts :)
    >
    > I am not one of the impressive guys, but I really liked your
    > JavaScript thingies :-) Surprising, how many things are doable with an
    > ordinary browser. Shame there is no link to your working Java project,
    > as the games in JavaScript are rather simple...
    > How do you plan to distribute your Ruby game? Are there tools that
    > allow creating executables from Ruby code?
    >
    > regards,
    > Filip

    Well, I would have been impressed once. But now that I've seen that :
    http://193.151.73.87/games/lemmings/ you'll have to code Doom in Javascript
    to impress me again :)
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Andy Driver wrote:
    > Christophe Cavalaria wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I would have been impressed once. But now that I've seen that :
    >>http://193.151.73.87/games/lemmings/ you'll have to code Doom in
    >
    > Javascript
    >
    >>to impress me again :)
    >
    > Heh, Javascript Lemmings is cool. Speaking of Doom, have you seen
    > Wolfenstein 5K?
    > http://www.wolf5k.com/
    >
    > Andy

    awesome, esp lemmings - thanks for linx.

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

    Christophe Cavalaria wrote:
    > Filip Dreger wrote:
    >

    >>Uzytkownik "andyhd" <google@pagezero.net> napisal w wiadomosci
    >>
    >>>Anyhow, I thought you might like to have a look at my Javascript
    >>>efforts and let me know your opinions/suggestions/ etc. I've been
    >>>really impressed by the games developed by some of you guys, and I'd
    >>>value your thoughts :)
    >>
    >>I am not one of the impressive guys, but I really liked your
    >>JavaScript thingies :-) Surprising, how many things are doable with an
    >>ordinary browser. Shame there is no link to your working Java project,
    >>as the games in JavaScript are rather simple...
    >>How do you plan to distribute your Ruby game? Are there tools that
    >>allow creating executables from Ruby code?
    >>
    >>regards,
    >>Filip
    >

    > Well, I would have been impressed once. But now that I've seen that :
    > http://193.151.73.87/games/lemmings/ you'll have to code Doom in Javascript
    > to impress me again :)

    Damn that's awesome!

    Where on earth did you find it?

    --
    Ash Ellis
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    I've done some more work on my Javascript Roguelike Redux (JRR).
    The dungeon is now randomly generated using an algorithm based on Mike
    Anderson's article on roguelikedevelopment.org.
    There are some Kobolds to beat up. They don't fight back yet, but they
    can be tricky to pin down because they move randomly. The combat system
    is a jumble of Fighting Fantasy (those books were cool) and
    Warhammer-ish stuff. Not balanced or tuned at all yet.
    Also, the rooms light up when you enter them, inspired by Martin Read's
    7DRL.
    You can win the game by killing all the kobolds. It's not much, but
    it's something to do.
    No support for MSIE yet, let me know if it breaks in your browser or if
    it's too slow.

    Thanks for your interest :-)

    Andy
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Oops, I meant to post a link to it:

    http://www.pagezero.net/roguelike/javascript2

    Andy
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    In article <1115721615.073667.294310@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "Andy Driver" <google@pagezero.net> wrote:
    >http://www.pagezero.net/roguelike/javascript2

    I like the translucent inventory windows. Also the shaded message log,
    although top posting the messages seems backwards to me. I'm betting
    it's a limitation of html though.

    Alan
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    R. Alan Monroe wrote:
    > although top posting the messages seems backwards to me. I'm
    > betting it's a limitation of html though.

    Would the messages be better at the top of the screen, with older
    messages pushed off the top? I can do that, no problem. You'd be
    surprised what you can do with HTML and Javascript.

    Thanks for your comments :-)

    Andy

Development Javascript Games Video Games