Most stable chipset for the athlon

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Lets see what is chipset is most stable for the Athlon...

Pick one: I'm not looking for the fastest speed but most stable like no problems at all with video cards, sound card and stuff like that.

1) Ali Magik 1 = Not the Fastest but most stable
2) AMD 760,761 = Fastest but alittle unstable
3) SiS 730 = stable but for Low-End
4) VIA KT133a , KT266 = unstable and average speed wise

If you say the KT133a , KT266 then you full of [-peep-]. As i remember you need to download 4-in-1 drivers w/ Bios to get your system stable.

Im talking about straight out of the BOX. Before your 4-in-1 drivers and bios are done.

!!! Leader of the Anti-via army !!!

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
2) AMD 760,761 = Fastest but alittle unstable

I think that is the best choice, but hey what do I know.

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, but your post makes no sense to me as I would never try to run any chipset for any period of time without updating the drivers first.

It's the first driver that gets loaded when I install the operating system, the 4-in-1 drivers I mean with VIA. The same is true for the ALI, AMD, and Intel systems that I build.

So, I would say that VIA is as stable as any other chipset that I have used.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

G

Why should we trust your obviously objective opinion regarding the Via chipset? ("!!! Leader of the Anti-via army !!!") Honestly, I don't trust the ALi chipset. It's inexpensive and, IMO, cheap. Inexpensive isn't bad, but if I want stable, I don't want it to be cheap. I've been using the KT133 for... oh, about 8 months now I guess. I had problems at the beginning, but after that: nothing. It's been a rock solid platform ever since and it has better performance than many of its competitors.

Of your list: #1 Via, #2 AMD, #3 SiS, #4 Ali. That's my choice. Of course, for a DDR platform it's gotta be #1 AMD. And I wouldn't buy any other chipset at this point. They are all performing sub-par.

Charles

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I've heard about it many times and I still don't know what are these 4 in 1 drivers. In fact, I didn't even know that chipsets required drivers. I am planning to buy an A7V133 mobo (VIA KT133A) and would really like to have some tips on how to set these drivers for best performance. Also, do you recommend flashing the BIOS at the same time ?

To help you help me, here's my system
- A7V133 mobo
- Tbird 1.2 GHz
- 256 MB PC133
- GeForce 2 GTS 32 MB
- Maxtor 40 GB

Thanks for any help !

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair...

G

I don't know what planet you come from, but on my planet I update drivers for system devices right after installing the OS. My Gigabyte GA-7DXC has the AMD761 north bridge and Via 686B south bridge and I have had minimal quirks with my system. (See the post about the guy buying the Alienware box for my full specs.)

Error: The idea generated by your cerebral processor is invalid, reprogram your logic and try again.