rgrd relative post count

rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)

The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
x = recently
y = over the last year

1st
Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35
ABCGi: 775 [inflated]
Kornel: 736 (3+4)
The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
Hajo: 533 (4+13)
Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
David Damerell: 295 (+1)
SZDev - Slash: 285 (1+2)

10th
Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
Gerry Quinn: 206
Martin Read: 200 (1+3)
Björn Bergström: 196 [Dweller mobile] (1+3)
Glen Wheeler: 193
copx: 171 [a really hard rl]
Antoine: 163
Mike Blackney: 141
Timothy Pruett: 125

20th
Filip Dreger: 117 (+1)
konijn: 105 (+3)
su: 105 (+2)
Bateau: 103 (2)
Sherm Pendley: 83
Krice: 76
DarkGod: 76 [TOMEnet - provides roguebasin host] (+1)
Ilya Bely: 66 (+2)
crichmon: 64
Jakub: 63 (+1)

30th
Steve Yrjana: 62 (+1)
Paul Pekkarinen: 60
R. Alan Monroe: 58
Mystic Triad: 57
Juho Julkunen: 56
Larry Smith: 55 (4)
Jim Strathmeyer: 54 (2)
Auric: 51
Christophe Cavalaria: 44
Arthur J. O'Dwyer: 41

40th
Gero Kunter: 40 (2)
Chris Reuter: 40 (2)
Raghar: 37
Elethiomel: 34 (+1)
Raymond Martineau: 33
Risto Saarelma: 33
James Bulgin: 31 (+1)
Graeme Dice: 31
Mark Hughes: 30 (1+6)
JSwing: 29 (+1)

50th
Jan Drahokoupil: 27
JimmyB + jimrandomh: 24 [calcrogue] (+7)
Aki Rossi: 24
courtney campbell: 24 (+2)
adrien beau: 13
archibald: 23
Heroic Adventure: 22
Bryce McQuern + bamcquern: 22 [abstract roguelike post]
zillameth: 21 (+1)
jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com: 18 (1)

60th
Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
Paul Murray: 17 (2)
Pfhoenix: 17
Joseph Hewitt: 17 [deadcold] (+3)
Martin Woodard: 16 [the tombs www.thetombs.com] (3)
Lochok: 16
Brent Ritchie: 16
kostatus: 13 (+2)
erisdiscordia: 10 (2)
NIm: 8

70th
Mechanoid: 8
Chipacabra: 7 (+1)
J. W. McCall: 6
Jason Allen: 6
Andrew Doull: 5
chrisgwilliams: 5 (+1)
caradhras: 5
Amy Wang: 5 [famed]
Leon Torres: 4
Andy Driver + andyhd: 4+1 [http://www.pagezero.net/roguelike]
AngeloB: 1

81
ShockFrost: 0 [famed - last post 1/7/2004
- archive count over last year = 26]

[1] started 10/2/2005, goes by multiple nix

corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!

Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
the following words over the last year?
"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

    ABCGi wrote:
    > The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
    > this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.

    > Krice: 76
    > Paul Pekkarinen: 60

    These two are the same person:) I began to use Krice when google beta
    asked for a nickname.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Dnia Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000,
    ABCGi napisal(a):

    > The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)

    What's "RD"?

    > Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
    > the following words over the last year?
    > "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

    It'd be either Hajo or Bjorn, I suppose...

    /me checks

    Ha, I was right! :)
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Your+email+arrived%2C+thanks.+Response+is+sent.

    --
    Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
    `The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

    ABCGi wrote:
    > rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    > (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    >
    > The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
    > this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
    > x = recently
    > y = over the last year
    >
    > 1st
    > Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35

    No saved posts of Neo? :-?

    > ABCGi: 775 [inflated]
    > Kornel: 736 (3+4)

    Cool! I'm so high! (no pun intended ;-) ). It seems I don't produce much
    meaningfull posts tough :-/

    > Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
    > the following words over the last year?
    > "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

    I would guess similary as Sheep (+ myself, I can imagine writing such a
    message ;-) ). But he was first :-D
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

    ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    >(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    <snip>
    >corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
    >etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!
    >
    >Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
    >the following words over the last year?
    >"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

    I'm hurt; I didn't even make the list. Of course, I think I've had
    maybe three on topic posts so far.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    > (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)

    Mystic Triad and Heroic Adventure are the same. :)
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    The Sheep wrote:
    > Dnia Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000,
    > ABCGi napisal(a):
    >
    >>The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
    >
    > What's "RD"?

    You used R.D. (your full name) twice earlier in the year
    before changing to The Sheep. Someone else used sheepy
    but it wasn't you.

    >>Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
    >>the following words over the last year?
    >>"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
    >
    > It'd be either Hajo or Bjorn, I suppose...
    >
    > /me checks
    >
    > Ha, I was right! :)
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Your+email+arrived%2C+thanks.+Response+is+sent.

    Nice I like how you didn't have to do the google search
    initially... wd!

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000, ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)

    blah blah blah blah blah

    At least you found some of it interesting.

    >Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)

    This guy, though, is obviously doing something right.

    R. Dan Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com
    Idiot boy, when are you going to post something useful?
    Or better yet, get a job and stop being a welfare bum?
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Krice wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >>The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
    >>this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
    >
    >>Krice: 76
    >>Paul Pekkarinen: 60
    >
    > These two are the same person:) I began to use Krice when google beta
    > asked for a nickname.

    Krice + Paul Pekkarinen: 76 + 60

    Ah missed that one - puts you quite a bit higher in the
    rankings!

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    >> (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    >>
    >> The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
    >> this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
    >> x = recently
    >> y = over the last year
    >>
    >> 1st
    >> Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35
    >
    > No saved posts of Neo? :-?
    >
    >> ABCGi: 775 [inflated]
    >> Kornel: 736 (3+4)
    >
    > Cool! I'm so high! (no pun intended ;-) ). It seems I don't produce much
    > meaningfull posts tough :-/

    heh - that's a very rough metric, so I wouldn't worry
    about it! You would be the top legit poster it would
    seem ;P

    >> Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
    >> the following words over the last year?
    >> "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
    >
    > I would guess similary as Sheep (+ myself, I can imagine writing such a
    > message ;-) ). But he was first :-D

    BTW Check out the news page on http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    for Doomish writings ;)

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    >>> Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
    >>> the following words over the last year?
    >>> "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
    >>
    >> I would guess similary as Sheep (+ myself, I can imagine writing such
    >> a message ;-) ). But he was first :-D
    >
    > BTW Check out the news page on http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    > for Doomish writings ;)

    Geeesh, where should I search? This site is *large*!
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    Carceri -- A prelude to GenRogue... Coming Soon
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    > (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    >
    > The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
    > this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
    > x = recently
    > y = over the last year
    >
    > 1st
    > Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35

    I am confused here; he is the first one in on topic posts???

    > ABCGi: 775 [inflated]

    This guy must not be here! ;)

    > Kornel: 736 (3+4)
    > The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
    > Hajo: 533 (4+13)
    > Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
    > R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
    > David Damerell: 295 (+1)
    > SZDev - Slash: 285 (1+2)

    Whooa! I am in the top ten !! ;D

    I haven't posted a lot lately tough... may be its time to let those mad
    ideas flow out of my head :D

    SNIP

    > Amy Wang: 5 [famed]
    SNIP
    > ShockFrost: 0 [famed - last post 1/7/2004
    > - archive count over last year = 26]

    They ought to come back!!! There was some elegance in their flames, in
    contrast to Neo's whinning.

    > [1] started 10/2/2005, goes by multiple nix
    >
    > corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
    > etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!
    >
    > Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
    > the following words over the last year?
    > "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

    --
    Slash
    http://peltkore.net/~szdev
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry wrote:
    > blah blah blah blah blah
    >
    > At least you found some of it interesting.
    >
    >>Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
    >
    > This guy, though, is obviously doing something right.

    [attacks deleted]

    FOAD.

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com>
    wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000:
    > rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    > (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    > The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
    > this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
    > x = recently
    > y = over the last year
    > Mark Hughes: 30 (1+6)

    48th, but memorable. Works for me. Of course, that's largely because
    I took a long time off from posting last year.

    "Gibson and I dueled among blazing stacks of books for a while. [...] The
    streets were crowded with his black-suited minions and I had to turn into a
    swarm of locusts and fly back to Seattle." -Neal Stephenson, /. interview
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

    >>> I would guess similary as Sheep (+ myself, I can imagine writing such
    >>> a message ;-) ). But he was first :-D
    >>
    >> BTW Check out the news page on http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    >> for Doomish writings ;)
    >
    > Geeesh, where should I search? This site is *large*!

    haha the "News" page - not "new" page!

    http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/news.html

    We are amused :)

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Paul Arthur wrote:
    > ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    >>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
    >>etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!
    >>
    >>Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
    >>the following words over the last year?
    >>"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
    >
    > I'm hurt; I didn't even make the list. Of course, I think I've had
    > maybe three on topic posts so far.

    Sorry - was a quick job. Had you posted anything over
    the last week or so?

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Paul Arthur wrote:
    >> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    >>>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
    >>>etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!
    >>>
    >>>Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
    >>>the following words over the last year?
    >>>"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
    >>
    >> I'm hurt; I didn't even make the list. Of course, I think I've had
    >> maybe three on topic posts so far.
    >
    >Sorry - was a quick job. Had you posted anything over
    >the last week or so?

    Yeah; my last on topic post was on 2005-04-28.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Paul Arthur wrote:
    > ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Paul Arthur wrote:

    >>><snip>

    >>>I'm hurt; I didn't even make the list. Of course, I think I've had
    >>>maybe three on topic posts so far.
    >>
    >>Sorry - was a quick job. Had you posted anything over
    >>the last week or so?
    >
    > Yeah; my last on topic post was on 2005-04-28.

    hmmm failure... warning will robinson!

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Heroic Adventure wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    >> (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    >
    > Mystic Triad and Heroic Adventure are the same. :)

    Of course! I *did* know that...

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000, ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
    >
    > blah blah blah blah blah
    >
    > At least you found some of it interesting.

    Yes thanks to you and everyone at rgrd who posts useful
    stuff! (And those that write RLs for free of course!)

    I find your itemising of element for a single idea so
    complete and useful that they are a must save! Your
    posts often stand alone within a thread (ie does not
    require context). You have done quite a lot in the
    past, not so much lately... They make ideal checklists
    for implementation surely!

    'Roguelike "Terrain"'
    "RL engines"
    "magic tower"

    And this nugget!
    "Any future development must add on-fire status,
    because that'd be a great overlay."

    hehe on-fire -> every RL should have this!!!

    >>Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
    >
    > This guy, though, is obviously doing something right.

    Yeah it's an enigma! He has also maintained a good level
    from the past to present. Of course its an approximate
    pseudo-science at best, but he has good short articles
    that encompass an idea compactly - often in reply to
    others initial ideas.

    "Minigames"
    "User Interface Design"
    "Roguelikes and vision cones"
    "intelligent vs stupid slots"

    And this quote that took my fancy;
    "Good ideas make good things better. Great ideas make better
    things simple." - Ray (Bear) Dillinger

    The top #E rankings in terms of ABCGi saved posts is;

    1st
    Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
    Hajo: 533 (4+13)
    R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
    Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
    Kornel: 736 (3+4)

    Mark Hughes: 30 (1+6)
    JimmyB + jimrandomh: 24 [calcrogue] (+7)
    The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
    Björn Bergström: 196 [Dweller mobile] (1+3)
    Larry Smith: 55 (4)

    Martin Read: 200 (1+3)
    Martin Woodard: 16 [the tombs www.thetombs.com] (3)
    SZDev - Slash: 285 (1+2)
    konijn: 105 (+3)
    Joseph Hewitt: 17 [deadcold] (+3)

    NOTE:
    rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
    this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
    x = recently
    y = over the last year

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Ray Dillinger wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> R. Dan Henry wrote:
    [snip]

    > Hmm, okay... the sums of the numbers in parens are arranged
    > in decreasing order? so it's 19, 17, 15, 11, 7, 7, 7 4, 4 ... ?

    Don't bother trying to parse it -- it's just some off-topic ABCGi/R
    Pedantic mutual admiration and twisted-bashing society. Better to just
    ignore it. :P

  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:
    > ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com>
    > wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000:
    >
    >>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    >>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    >>The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
    >>this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
    >>x = recently
    >>y = over the last year
    >>Mark Hughes: 30 (1+6)
    >
    > 48th, but memorable. Works for me. Of course, that's largely because
    > I took a long time off from posting last year.

    6th if you rank by saved posts. Yeah I noticed a big hole
    for you over much of the past year.

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > 60th
    > Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
    Nice to know that somebody here noticed. Paul hasn't seemed to have
    caught on to my nym shift yet... The reason I keep my name in my sig is
    so that people don't mistake me for The Sheep! Not that I've posted
    enough on-topic to warrant a mistake like that.
    ;)

    > erisdiscordia: 10 (2)
    This is Erik Piper btw, not sure if this bumps up his score count
    --
    Ash Ellis

    --Douglas Adams
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    sheepy wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> 60th
    >> Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
    >
    > Nice to know that somebody here noticed. Paul hasn't seemed to have
    > caught on to my nym shift yet... The reason I keep my name in my sig is
    > so that people don't mistake me for The Sheep! Not that I've posted
    > enough on-topic to warrant a mistake like that.
    > ;)
    >
    >> erisdiscordia: 10 (2)
    >
    > This is Erik Piper btw, not sure if this bumps up his score count

    Ah interesting... thanks... missed quite a few nym
    shifts... can't think of a way to track it easily...

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    sheepy wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> 60th
    >> Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
    >
    > Nice to know that somebody here noticed. Paul hasn't seemed to have
    > caught on to my nym shift yet... The reason I keep my name in my sig is
    > so that people don't mistake me for The Sheep! Not that I've posted
    > enough on-topic to warrant a mistake like that.
    > ;)

    My name is Twisted One, and you haven't posted enough on-topic to
    warrant keeping your 'net access IMO.

  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    SZDev - Slash wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    >>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)

    *CORRECTION*
    >>The numbers in parens (x+y) are the count of messages from
    >>this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
    >>x = recently
    >>y = over the last year
    >>
    >>1st
    >>Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35
    >
    > I am confused here; he is the first one in on topic posts???

    Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
    an on topic count.

    >>ABCGi: 775 [inflated]
    >
    > This guy must not be here! ;)

    heh - obviously this year as been one of high
    procrastination.

    >>Kornel: 736 (3+4)
    >>The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
    >>Hajo: 533 (4+13)
    >>Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
    >>R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
    >>David Damerell: 295 (+1)
    >>SZDev - Slash: 285 (1+2)
    >
    > Whooa! I am in the top ten !! ;D
    >
    > I haven't posted a lot lately tough... may be its time to let those mad
    > ideas flow out of my head :D

    Bring it on!

    > SNIP
    >
    >>Amy Wang: 5 [famed]
    >
    > SNIP
    >
    >>ShockFrost: 0 [famed - last post 1/7/2004
    >> - archive count over last year = 26]
    >
    > They ought to come back!!! There was some elegance in their flames, in
    > contrast to Neo's whinning.

    I miss ShockFrost's ideas - I had saved some of his posts
    from the year prior this last one. The class medal being
    a beauty and the growing town on the surface being another.

    *SNIP*

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Ray Dillinger" <bear@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > ABCGi wrote:

    >>> This guy, though, is obviously doing something right.
    >>

    >> Yeah it's an enigma! He has also maintained a good level
    >> from the past to present. Of course its an approximate
    >> pseudo-science at best, but he has good short articles
    >> that encompass an idea compactly - often in reply to
    >> others initial ideas.
    >>
    >> "Minigames"
    >> "User Interface Design"
    >> "Roguelikes and vision cones"
    >> "intelligent vs stupid slots"
    >>
    >> And this quote that took my fancy;
    >> "Good ideas make good things better. Great ideas make better
    >> things simple." - Ray (Bear) Dillinger
    >
    > Erm, okay, I'm flattered... [snip]

    Hey, chalk up a compliment from me too. But seriously I am surprised
    nobody has mentioned Bear's great series of AI articles. I feel that there
    are several people here who have the ability to contribute more than they
    already do, but do not contain the goodwill or motivation to do so. This is
    what makes me respect Bear very much.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > SZDev - Slash wrote:
    >> ABCGi wrote:
    >>
    >>>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
    >>>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
    >>>
    > *CORRECTION*
    >>>The numbers in parens (x+y) are the count of messages from
    >>>this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
    >>>x = recently
    >>>y = over the last year
    >>>
    >>>1st
    >>>Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35
    >>
    >> I am confused here; he is the first one in on topic posts???
    >
    > Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
    > an on topic count.

    It would be interesting to see on-topic posts, although I fear my personal
    count would lower considerably.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    Glen Wheeler wrote:
    > "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>SZDev - Slash wrote:

    >>*CORRECTION*

    >>>I am confused here; he is the first one in on topic posts???
    >>
    >>Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
    >>an on topic count.
    >
    > It would be interesting to see on-topic posts, although I fear my personal
    > count would lower considerably.

    Sounds like a lot of work only a human can do! For the
    most part I would expect most peoples signal rates to be
    high so the relative counts would still apply... with a few
    exceptions.

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > SZDev - Slash wrote:
    >> They ought to come back!!! There was some elegance in their flames, in
    >> contrast to Neo's whinning.
    >
    > I miss ShockFrost's ideas - I had saved some of his posts
    > from the year prior this last one. The class medal being
    > a beauty and the growing town on the surface being another.
    >
    > *SNIP*

    I on the other hand miss Amy Wang's criticism. I wonder what she would
    say about DoomRL :-). Basically it's what she meant - a simple game that
    doesn't restrict itself to *all* of the Rogue standards...
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    Carceri -- A prelude to GenRogue... Coming Soon
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > The top #E rankings in terms of ABCGi saved posts is;
    >
    > 1st
    > Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
    > Hajo: 533 (4+13)
    > R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
    > Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
    > Kornel: 736 (3+4)

    Wierd! These saved posts must be mainly DoomRL-announcements/info cause
    I don't remember posting much usefull stuff (So sad :-(. My last useful
    posting to RGRD was probably the Horror in Roguelikes I: Gore article :-().

    > Joseph Hewitt: 17 [deadcold] (+3)

    I'm surprised he's so low :-). He's approximately in the first three top
    saved mosts on my drive...
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    Carceri -- A prelude to GenRogue... Coming Soon
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> The top #E rankings in terms of ABCGi saved posts is;
    >>
    >> 1st
    >> Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
    >> Hajo: 533 (4+13)
    >> R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
    >> Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
    >> Kornel: 736 (3+4)
    >
    > Wierd! These saved posts must be mainly DoomRL-announcements/info cause
    > I don't remember posting much usefull stuff (So sad :-(. My last useful
    > posting to RGRD was probably the Horror in Roguelikes I: Gore article :-().

    Lets see...
    "Star Wars"
    "Top Dog" - DRL
    "DoomRL 0.9.8" x2

    Contains tactics info that Bateau was asking about;
    "Aggresive = +meleedamage, -defence, slightly faster shooting
    Coward = faster movement -meleedamage, +defence, longer shooting?"

    And earlier in the year;
    "DRL finally released! Happy New Year :)"
    "Survey" x2
    "Greekie" <- Allegro criticism

    My fav. quote;
    "Long live persistent beta-testers! :-D"

    >> Joseph Hewitt: 17 [deadcold] (+3)
    >
    > I'm surprised he's so low :-). He's approximately in the first three top
    > saved mosts on my drive...

    I was surprised as well, probably just an abberation.
    And he hasn't posted much recently.

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Glen Wheeler wrote::

    > "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
    >>an on topic count.
    >
    > It would be interesting to see on-topic posts, although I fear my personal
    > count would lower considerably.

    And we still don't really know where to draw the border between on topic
    and off topic.

    And there could meta on topic posts, which are concerned about
    statistics of on topic posts, do we want to inlcude those or not :)

    (Sorry, this day is just too slow and I'm wading through 1010 unread
    mesages left in this group).

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > sheepy wrote:
    >
    >> ABCGi wrote:
    >>
    >>> 60th
    >>> Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
    >>

    >> Nice to know that somebody here noticed. Paul hasn't seemed to have
    >> caught on to my nym shift yet... The reason I keep my name in my sig
    >> is so that people don't mistake me for The Sheep! Not that I've posted
    >> enough on-topic to warrant a mistake like that.
    >> ;)
    >

    > My name is Twisted One, and you haven't posted enough on-topic to
    > warrant keeping your 'net access IMO.

    Can you run that by me again Neo? Or was your post off-topic too? ;)

    --
    Ash Ellis

    --Douglas Adams
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

    >>> BTW Check out the news page on http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    >>> for Doomish writings ;)
    >>

    >> Geeesh, where should I search? This site is *large*!
    >

    > haha the "News" page - not "new" page!
    >
    > http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/news.html
    >
    > We are amused :)

    :-D
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> Wierd! These saved posts must be mainly DoomRL-announcements/info
    >> cause I don't remember posting much usefull stuff (So sad :-(. My last
    >> useful posting to RGRD was probably the Horror in Roguelikes I: Gore
    >> article :-().
    >

    > Lets see...
    > "Star Wars"

    Star Wars?

    > "Top Dog" - DRL
    > "DoomRL 0.9.8" x2
    > Contains tactics info that Bateau was asking about;
    > "Aggresive = +meleedamage, -defence, slightly faster shooting
    > Coward = faster movement -meleedamage, +defence, longer shooting?"
    >
    > And earlier in the year;
    > "DRL finally released! Happy New Year :)"
    > "Survey" x2

    So it is as I guess, no usable posts after all ;-/

    > "Greekie" <- Allegro criticism

    ??

    > My fav. quote;
    > "Long live persistent beta-testers! :-D"

    :-D

    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Due to Pascal's original purpose as a teaching language it forces one
    to learn good habits - and those good habits stay with you, even when
    you later migrate to a much more forgiving language." - Sherm Pendley
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    > Glen Wheeler wrote::
    >
    >> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
    >>> an on topic count.
    >>
    >> It would be interesting to see on-topic posts, although I fear my
    >> personal count would lower considerably.
    >
    > And we still don't really know where to draw the border between on topic
    > and off topic.
    >
    > And there could meta on topic posts, which are concerned about
    > statistics of on topic posts, do we want to inlcude those or not :)

    An interesting AI project!

    > (Sorry, this day is just too slow and I'm wading through 1010 unread
    > mesages left in this group).

    Shouldn't take that long to read /ten/ mesages surely? ;D

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - BINARY JOKE - Shuruppak - TheTombs
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    >
    >> (Sorry, this day is just too slow and I'm wading through 1010 unread
    >> mesages left in this group).
    >
    > Shouldn't take that long to read /ten/ mesages surely? ;D

    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary,
    and those who don't.

    sherm--

  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    >>
    >>> (Sorry, this day is just too slow and I'm wading through 1010 unread
    >>> mesages left in this group).
    >>

    >> Shouldn't take that long to read /ten/ mesages surely? ;D
    >

    > There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary,
    > and those who don't.

    There are also eleven types of people in the world -- those who know
    this joke, those who do, but think other's dont, and those who'll never
    get it anyway ;-).
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch
    of text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Yeah real nice summation of the Star Wars plot as
    > high fantasy fairy tale [1]

    Oh yeah, now I remember ;-).

    >> So it is as I guess, no usable posts after all ;-/
    >>
    >>> "Greekie" <- Allegro criticism
    >>
    >> ??
    >
    > You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
    > wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]

    Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around nervously,
    scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    --
    Contrary to what some people say, my OS _is_ a lifestyle choice, not a
    tool; however, I am against osizm
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >> Yeah real nice summation of the Star Wars plot as
    >> high fantasy fairy tale [1]
    >
    > Oh yeah, now I remember ;-).
    >
    >>> So it is as I guess, no usable posts after all ;-/

    >>> ??
    >>
    >> You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
    >> wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]
    >
    > Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around
    > nervously, scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)
    > --
    > At your service,
    > Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    > [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    > My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
    wiadomosci news:d5cp90$454$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
    >> You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
    >> wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]
    >
    > Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around
    > nervously, scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)

    I have been watching thist thread for some time and was trying not to
    get provoked - but OK, here I am - the defender of the lost case
    (Allegro, just like fine music, fine art and poetry is choosen by only
    few people) :-) .

    Here's a short comparison:
    1. why is SDL better than Allegro:
    - it is easy (or so I heard) to use OpenGL with it. (this is a bit
    like saying Pascal is great, because you can use C libraries)

    2. why is Allegro better than SDL:
    - more platforms, including ever-popular DOS
    - custom 3D routines
    - better unicode support
    - its own GUI

    3. why in IMHO Allegro is better:
    - cleaner, leaner API
    - self-contained, easier to build & tweak
    - includes better manual and examples
    - has a great mascot; if you haven't played it yet, you must play
    Alex the Allegator 4 (http://www.freelunchdesign.com/games.shtml)

    do I score a point? ;-)

    regards,
    Filip
    --
    Contrary to what some people say, my OS _is_ a lifestyle choice, not a
    tool; however, I am against osizm
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Filip Dreger wrote:
    > Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
    > wiadomosci news:d5cp90$454$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
    >
    >>>You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
    >>>wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]
    >>
    >>Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around
    >>nervously, scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)
    >
    > I have been watching thist thread for some time and was trying not to
    > get provoked - but OK, here I am - the defender of the lost case
    > (Allegro, just like fine music, fine art and poetry is choosen by only
    > few people) :-) .

    Yeah! A flamewar!
    *sounds of trumpets, and a battalion rushing into battle* ;-D

    > Here's a short comparison:
    > 1. why is SDL better than Allegro:
    > - it is easy (or so I heard)

    If I could write a game in SDL in C++ without knowing much C++ after
    just reading the help file in one day it must be easy. And it was 4
    years ago :-).

    > it is easy (or so I heard) to use OpenGL with it. (this is a bit
    > like saying Pascal is great, because you can use C libraries)

    Bad comparision -- most proffesional 3D Windows game programmers use
    OpenGL + DirectX -- dumping the graphics of DirectX completely. SDL is
    *the* choice for people who want to have their game support other
    systems using OpenGL+SDL. It is a *great* advantage.

    > 2. why is Allegro better than SDL:
    > - more platforms, including ever-popular DOS

    Come on, DOS is dead ;-). The only reason DoomRL has a DOS download is
    to let Linux guys play it, until I have a working Linux version.

    > - custom 3D routines

    Yeah? Better then OpenGL? If not, then who the hell would care?

    > - better unicode support

    Prove it. SDL has Unicode support (not that I would ever need it anyway).

    > - its own GUI

    ??

    > 3. why in IMHO Allegro is better:
    Why IMHO SDL is better.

    > - cleaner, leaner API
    Your opinion only.
    - cleaner, leaner API

    > - self-contained, easier to build & tweak

    - modularized - you can load only the modules you need,
    and don't need toi weight down the whole program if all you
    want is playing a few WAVs in textmode.

    > - includes better manual and examples

    - includes a better helpfile (clean and all childish easy to
    understand), and better modern real-life examples

    > - has a great mascot; if you haven't played it yet, you must play
    > Alex the Allegator 4 (http://www.freelunchdesign.com/games.shtml)

    Oh come on, what kind of argument is that?
    DirectX is better the OpenGL, because the DirectX X logo is much cooler
    that that ugly looking OpenGL logo???

    > do I score a point? ;-)

    Nope. ;-)

    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and
    restart body."
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > Filip Dreger wrote:
    *SNIP*
    >> - has a great mascot; if you haven't played it yet, you must play
    >> Alex the Allegator 4 (http://www.freelunchdesign.com/games.shtml)

    Alex was fun, and small, and worked out of the box,
    homage to Mario Bros...
    A little buggy and disables the close window...
    requiring task manager to stop it when it went
    into a loop and wouldn't let me get back to the menu....
    Map editing is cool, except thats where the bugs
    come in with custom maps.

    SDL.DLL is 232KB which is plenty small enough that
    I would include it with my install too.

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >> Yeah real nice summation of the Star Wars plot as
    >> high fantasy fairy tale [1]
    >
    > Oh yeah, now I remember ;-).
    >
    >>> So it is as I guess, no usable posts after all ;-/

    >>> ??
    >>
    >> You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
    >> wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]
    >
    > Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around nervously,
    > scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)

    Apples and oranges I would say.
    SDL is a bare-basic portability layer for system-specific functionality.
    Allegro is a game programming toolkit. In SDL you've to write everything
    yourself, Allegro comes with most/all of the stuff you'll need build in. I
    abandoned the idea of making my RL graphical after trying to do it by using
    SDL... In contrast I managed to transform my game from a console app into a
    graphical one in a single day after I switched to Allegro. SDL is only for
    people who actually want to do graphics programming / deal with low-level
    details. Allegro is nice for people who hate this stuff - like me! :)

    copx
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
    wiadomosci news:d5dcf2$dd9$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
    >> it is easy (or so I heard) to use OpenGL with it. (this is a bit
    >> like saying Pascal is great, because you can use C libraries)
    >
    > Bad comparision -- most proffesional 3D Windows game programmers use
    > OpenGL + DirectX -- dumping the graphics of DirectX completely. SDL
    > is *the* choice for people who want to have their game support other
    > systems using OpenGL+SDL. It is a *great* advantage.

    uhmm.... yes, it is, that is why it got listed - I was trying to do a
    comparison here, not lie about SDL :-)

    >> 2. why is Allegro better than SDL:
    >> - more platforms, including ever-popular DOS
    >
    > Come on, DOS is dead ;-). The only reason DoomRL has a DOS download
    > is to let Linux guys play it, until I have a working Linux version.

    OK, you may say that it is not an advantage... but you can't say it's
    bad.
    A couple of posts ago you told us about a friend of yours who runs
    doomRL on an old dosbox with his autoexec.bat. I think it's cool - and
    quite impossible with an SDL game. On the other hand, Allegro ships
    with all the drivers (sound&gfx) that would allow this guy to have
    both sound and gfx.

    >> - custom 3D routines
    > Yeah? Better then OpenGL? If not, then who the hell would care?
    Hmmm... you are having trouble porting DoomRL to Linux, using standard
    and popular libraries. When you try, one day, to port an OpenGL app to
    Linux without disclosing the sources, you will see why it is better to
    have a single static library. Linking against different versions of
    Xorg, XFree and so on is very unpleasant, especially if you only want
    eg. a revolving 3D logo in the intro. Something Allegro gives you out
    of the box.

    >> - better unicode support
    > Prove it. SDL has Unicode support (not that I would ever need it
    > anyway).
    I withdraw this point, I am not competent enough to argue over it. You
    win.

    >> - its own GUI
    > ??

    With which of the words are you having a problem with? Allegro comes
    with its own set of widgets operated by mouse/keyboard. You can use
    them in your own applications, so you do not have to write your own
    from the scratch or use "yet another addon library for SDL".
    >>. why in IMHO Allegro is better:
    > Why IMHO SDL is better.
    >> - cleaner, leaner API
    > Your opinion only.

    Yes, of course; I separated purely subjective thoughts from real
    arguments so our flame war remains elegant ;-)

    >> - has a great mascot; if you haven't played it yet, you must play
    >> Alex the Allegator 4 (http://www.freelunchdesign.com/games.shtml)
    >
    > Oh come on, what kind of argument is that?

    Subjective :-)
    I have yet to see a better game created with pure SDL.

    > DirectX is better the OpenGL, because the DirectX X logo is much
    > cooler that that ugly looking OpenGL logo???
    WHAT??? SDL logo is terrible (looks like it was created by one of
    those apps that create "nice" gfx buttons for busy webmasters), and
    OpenGL logo has a lot of class :)

    Can you argue with any of the points?:
    Allegro weights exactly the same as SDL, and it:
    - supports more platforms
    - has more features (GUI, 3D)
    - has comparable documentation

    regards,
    Filip
    --
    Contrary to what some people say, my OS _is_ a lifestyle choice, not a
    tool; however, I am against osizm
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    copx wrote:
    > Apples and oranges I would say.
    > SDL is a bare-basic portability layer for system-specific functionality.
    > Allegro is a game programming toolkit. In SDL you've to write everything
    > yourself, Allegro comes with most/all of the stuff you'll need build in. I
    > abandoned the idea of making my RL graphical after trying to do it by using
    > SDL... In contrast I managed to transform my game from a console app into a
    > graphical one in a single day after I switched to Allegro. SDL is only for
    > people who actually want to do graphics programming / deal with low-level
    > details. Allegro is nice for people who hate this stuff - like me! :)

    This post proves you never wrote any program with SDL ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "Come on, Kornel. 11 years and no binary? And it's not
    vapourware?" -- Mike Blackney
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    > copx wrote:
    >> Apples and oranges I would say.
    >> SDL is a bare-basic portability layer for system-specific functionality.
    >> Allegro is a game programming toolkit. In SDL you've to write everything
    >> yourself, Allegro comes with most/all of the stuff you'll need build in.
    >> I abandoned the idea of making my RL graphical after trying to do it by
    >> using SDL... In contrast I managed to transform my game from a console
    >> app into a graphical one in a single day after I switched to Allegro. SDL
    >> is only for people who actually want to do graphics programming / deal
    >> with low-level details. Allegro is nice for people who hate this stuff -
    >> like me! :)
    >
    > This post proves you never wrote any program with SDL ;-)

    I did code the graphical RL version of hello world: a character sprite which
    can be moved around the screen. This was such a painful exercise that I
    decided I don't want to continue down that road. Also building SDL is a
    nightmare like no other. I just wanted to build SDL + SDL_ttf - the
    dependencies really killed me (on Windows where stuff like zlib, freetype
    etc. isn't common). Luckily after half an hour I encountered a dependency
    that refused to build so I had an excuse to abandon that torture trip...

    BTW, don't you use Pascal? I mean in this case you use a warper (JediSDL?)
    not plain SDL. Maybe the warper abstracts some of the uglyness away.

    copx
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    copx wrote:

    > "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> copx wrote:
    >>> Apples and oranges I would say.
    >>> SDL is a bare-basic portability layer for system-specific functionality.
    >>> Allegro is a game programming toolkit. In SDL you've to write everything
    >>> yourself, Allegro comes with most/all of the stuff you'll need build in.
    >>> I abandoned the idea of making my RL graphical after trying to do it by
    >>> using SDL... In contrast I managed to transform my game from a console
    >>> app into a graphical one in a single day after I switched to Allegro.
    >>> SDL is only for people who actually want to do graphics programming /
    >>> deal with low-level details. Allegro is nice for people who hate this
    >>> stuff - like me! :)
    >>
    >> This post proves you never wrote any program with SDL ;-)
    >
    > I did code the graphical RL version of hello world: a character sprite
    > which can be moved around the screen. This was such a painful exercise
    > that I decided I don't want to continue down that road. Also building SDL
    > is a nightmare like no other. I just wanted to build SDL + SDL_ttf - the
    > dependencies really killed me (on Windows where stuff like zlib, freetype
    > etc. isn't common). Luckily after half an hour I encountered a dependency
    > that refused to build so I had an excuse to abandon that torture trip...

    I would like to know how you expect SDL_ttf to work without freetype ? Also,
    I wonder why you bothered to build SDL yourself at all. Prebuilt binaries
    for development use are available you know. Well, maybe they were available
    at the time you tested SDL :)
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "Christophe Cavalaria" <chris.cavalaria@free.fr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > copx wrote:
    >

    >> "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>>
    >>> This post proves you never wrote any program with SDL ;-)
    >>
    >> I did code the graphical RL version of hello world: a character sprite
    >> which can be moved around the screen. This was such a painful exercise
    >> that I decided I don't want to continue down that road. Also building SDL
    >> is a nightmare like no other. I just wanted to build SDL + SDL_ttf - the
    >> dependencies really killed me (on Windows where stuff like zlib, freetype
    >> etc. isn't common). Luckily after half an hour I encountered a dependency
    >> that refused to build so I had an excuse to abandon that torture trip...
    >
    > I would like to know how you expect SDL_ttf to work without freetype ?
    > Also,

    You misunderstood something. I was perfectly aware that SDL_ttf is dependent
    on freetype. So I had to build that alien artifact, too. Annoying.

    > I wonder why you bothered to build SDL yourself at all. Prebuilt binaries
    > for development use are available you know. Well, maybe they were
    > available
    > at the time you tested SDL :)

    I use MinGW and IIRC only VC++ development binaries were available at that
    time and there are still no MinGW binaries for SDL_ttf.

    copx

Development Video Games