rgrd relative post count

Last response: in Video Games
May 3, 2005 1:42:07 AM

rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)

The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
x = recently
y = over the last year

1st
Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35
ABCGi: 775 [inflated]
Kornel: 736 (3+4)
The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
Hajo: 533 (4+13)
Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
David Damerell: 295 (+1)
SZDev - Slash: 285 (1+2)

10th
Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
Gerry Quinn: 206
Martin Read: 200 (1+3)
Björn Bergström: 196 [Dweller mobile] (1+3)
Glen Wheeler: 193
copx: 171 [a really hard rl]
Antoine: 163
Mike Blackney: 141
Timothy Pruett: 125

20th
Filip Dreger: 117 (+1)
konijn: 105 (+3)
su: 105 (+2)
Bateau: 103 (2)
Sherm Pendley: 83
Krice: 76
DarkGod: 76 [TOMEnet - provides roguebasin host] (+1)
Ilya Bely: 66 (+2)
crichmon: 64
Jakub: 63 (+1)

30th
Steve Yrjana: 62 (+1)
Paul Pekkarinen: 60
R. Alan Monroe: 58
Mystic Triad: 57
Juho Julkunen: 56
Larry Smith: 55 (4)
Jim Strathmeyer: 54 (2)
Auric: 51
Christophe Cavalaria: 44
Arthur J. O'Dwyer: 41

40th
Gero Kunter: 40 (2)
Chris Reuter: 40 (2)
Raghar: 37
Elethiomel: 34 (+1)
Raymond Martineau: 33
Risto Saarelma: 33
James Bulgin: 31 (+1)
Graeme Dice: 31
Mark Hughes: 30 (1+6)
JSwing: 29 (+1)

50th
Jan Drahokoupil: 27
JimmyB + jimrandomh: 24 [calcrogue] (+7)
Aki Rossi: 24
courtney campbell: 24 (+2)
adrien beau: 13
archibald: 23
Heroic Adventure: 22
Bryce McQuern + bamcquern: 22 [abstract roguelike post]
zillameth: 21 (+1)
jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com: 18 (1)

60th
Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
Paul Murray: 17 (2)
Pfhoenix: 17
Joseph Hewitt: 17 [deadcold] (+3)
Martin Woodard: 16 [the tombs www.thetombs.com] (3)
Lochok: 16
Brent Ritchie: 16
kostatus: 13 (+2)
erisdiscordia: 10 (2)
NIm: 8

70th
Mechanoid: 8
Chipacabra: 7 (+1)
J. W. McCall: 6
Jason Allen: 6
Andrew Doull: 5
chrisgwilliams: 5 (+1)
caradhras: 5
Amy Wang: 5 [famed]
Leon Torres: 4
Andy Driver + andyhd: 4+1 [http://www.pagezero.net/roguelike]
AngeloB: 1

81
ShockFrost: 0 [famed - last post 1/7/2004
- archive count over last year = 26]

[1] started 10/2/2005, goes by multiple nix

corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!

Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
the following words over the last year?
"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

ABCGi wrote:
> The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
> this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.

> Krice: 76
> Paul Pekkarinen: 60

These two are the same person:)  I began to use Krice when google beta
asked for a nickname.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:42:08 AM

Dnia Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000,
ABCGi napisal(a):

> The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)

What's "RD"?

> Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
> the following words over the last year?
> "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

It'd be either Hajo or Bjorn, I suppose...

/me checks

Ha, I was right! :)
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Your+email+arriv....

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
`The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

ABCGi wrote:
> rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
> (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
>
> The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
> this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
> x = recently
> y = over the last year
>
> 1st
> Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35

No saved posts of Neo? :-?

> ABCGi: 775 [inflated]
> Kornel: 736 (3+4)

Cool! I'm so high! (no pun intended ;-) ). It seems I don't produce much
meaningfull posts tough :-/

> Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
> the following words over the last year?
> "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

I would guess similary as Sheep (+ myself, I can imagine writing such a
message ;-) ). But he was first :-D
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
<snip>
>corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
>etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!
>
>Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
>the following words over the last year?
>"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

I'm hurt; I didn't even make the list. Of course, I think I've had
maybe three on topic posts so far.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:26:10 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
> (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)

Mystic Triad and Heroic Adventure are the same. :)
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:58:09 AM

The Sheep wrote:
> Dnia Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000,
> ABCGi napisal(a):
>
>>The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
>
> What's "RD"?

You used R.D. (your full name) twice earlier in the year
before changing to The Sheep. Someone else used sheepy
but it wasn't you.

>>Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
>>the following words over the last year?
>>"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
>
> It'd be either Hajo or Bjorn, I suppose...
>
> /me checks
>
> Ha, I was right! :)
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Your+email+arriv....

Nice I like how you didn't have to do the google search
initially... wd!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:59:10 AM

On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000, ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)

blah blah blah blah blah

At least you found some of it interesting.

>Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)

This guy, though, is obviously doing something right.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Idiot boy, when are you going to post something useful?
Or better yet, get a job and stop being a welfare bum?
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:59:27 AM

Krice wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>>The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
>>this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
>
>>Krice: 76
>>Paul Pekkarinen: 60
>
> These two are the same person:)  I began to use Krice when google beta
> asked for a nickname.

Krice + Paul Pekkarinen: 76 + 60

Ah missed that one - puts you quite a bit higher in the
rankings!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:15:18 AM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
>> (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
>>
>> The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
>> this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
>> x = recently
>> y = over the last year
>>
>> 1st
>> Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35
>
> No saved posts of Neo? :-?
>
>> ABCGi: 775 [inflated]
>> Kornel: 736 (3+4)
>
> Cool! I'm so high! (no pun intended ;-) ). It seems I don't produce much
> meaningfull posts tough :-/

heh - that's a very rough metric, so I wouldn't worry
about it! You would be the top legit poster it would
seem ;P

>> Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
>> the following words over the last year?
>> "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
>
> I would guess similary as Sheep (+ myself, I can imagine writing such a
> message ;-) ). But he was first :-D

BTW Check out the news page on http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
for Doomish writings ;)

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloBand
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 7:15:19 AM

ABCGi wrote:
>>> Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
>>> the following words over the last year?
>>> "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
>>
>> I would guess similary as Sheep (+ myself, I can imagine writing such
>> a message ;-) ). But he was first :-D
>
> BTW Check out the news page on http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
> for Doomish writings ;)

Geeesh, where should I search? This site is *large*!
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
Carceri -- A prelude to GenRogue... Coming Soon
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:25:56 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
> (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
>
> The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
> this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
> x = recently
> y = over the last year
>
> 1st
> Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35

I am confused here; he is the first one in on topic posts???

> ABCGi: 775 [inflated]

This guy must not be here! ;)

> Kornel: 736 (3+4)
> The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
> Hajo: 533 (4+13)
> Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
> R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
> David Damerell: 295 (+1)
> SZDev - Slash: 285 (1+2)

Whooa! I am in the top ten !! ;D

I haven't posted a lot lately tough... may be its time to let those mad
ideas flow out of my head :D

SNIP

> Amy Wang: 5 [famed]
SNIP
> ShockFrost: 0 [famed - last post 1/7/2004
> - archive count over last year = 26]

They ought to come back!!! There was some elegance in their flames, in
contrast to Neo's whinning.

> [1] started 10/2/2005, goes by multiple nix
>
> corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
> etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!
>
> Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
> the following words over the last year?
> "Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."

--
Slash
http://peltkore.net/~szdev
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:52:47 AM

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> blah blah blah blah blah
>
> At least you found some of it interesting.
>
>>Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
>
> This guy, though, is obviously doing something right.

[attacks deleted]

FOAD.

May 3, 2005 11:31:32 AM

ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com>
wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000:
> rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
> (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
> The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
> this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
> x = recently
> y = over the last year
> Mark Hughes: 30 (1+6)

48th, but memorable. Works for me. Of course, that's largely because
I took a long time off from posting last year.

"Gibson and I dueled among blazing stacks of books for a while. [...] The
streets were crowded with his black-suited minions and I had to turn into a
swarm of locusts and fly back to Seattle." -Neal Stephenson, /. interview
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:17:47 PM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

>>> I would guess similary as Sheep (+ myself, I can imagine writing such
>>> a message ;-) ). But he was first :-D
>>
>> BTW Check out the news page on http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
>> for Doomish writings ;)
>
> Geeesh, where should I search? This site is *large*!

haha the "News" page - not "new" page!

http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/news.html

We are amused :)

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:50:15 PM

Paul Arthur wrote:
> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
>>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
>
> <snip>
>
>>corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
>>etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!
>>
>>Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
>>the following words over the last year?
>>"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
>
> I'm hurt; I didn't even make the list. Of course, I think I've had
> maybe three on topic posts so far.

Sorry - was a quick job. Had you posted anything over
the last week or so?

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:50:16 PM

ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Paul Arthur wrote:
>> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
>>>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>>corrections, amalgamations of various nix, alterations
>>>etc welcome... apologies for mistakes (done quickly)!
>>>
>>>Trivia Question: which ppl from the above list wrote
>>>the following words over the last year?
>>>"Your email arrived, thanks. Response is sent."
>>
>> I'm hurt; I didn't even make the list. Of course, I think I've had
>> maybe three on topic posts so far.
>
>Sorry - was a quick job. Had you posted anything over
>the last week or so?

Yeah; my last on topic post was on 2005-04-28.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 8:29:35 PM

Paul Arthur wrote:
> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Paul Arthur wrote:

>>><snip>

>>>I'm hurt; I didn't even make the list. Of course, I think I've had
>>>maybe three on topic posts so far.
>>
>>Sorry - was a quick job. Had you posted anything over
>>the last week or so?
>
> Yeah; my last on topic post was on 2005-04-28.

hmmm failure... warning will robinson!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 8:30:21 PM

Heroic Adventure wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
>> (mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
>
> Mystic Triad and Heroic Adventure are the same. :)

Of course! I *did* know that...

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:20:29 PM

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000, ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
>
> blah blah blah blah blah
>
> At least you found some of it interesting.

Yes thanks to you and everyone at rgrd who posts useful
stuff! (And those that write RLs for free of course!)

I find your itemising of element for a single idea so
complete and useful that they are a must save! Your
posts often stand alone within a thread (ie does not
require context). You have done quite a lot in the
past, not so much lately... They make ideal checklists
for implementation surely!

'Roguelike "Terrain"'
"RL engines"
"magic tower"

And this nugget!
"Any future development must add on-fire status,
because that'd be a great overlay."

hehe on-fire -> every RL should have this!!!

>>Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
>
> This guy, though, is obviously doing something right.

Yeah it's an enigma! He has also maintained a good level
from the past to present. Of course its an approximate
pseudo-science at best, but he has good short articles
that encompass an idea compactly - often in reply to
others initial ideas.

"Minigames"
"User Interface Design"
"Roguelikes and vision cones"
"intelligent vs stupid slots"

And this quote that took my fancy;
"Good ideas make good things better. Great ideas make better
things simple." - Ray (Bear) Dillinger

The top #E rankings in terms of ABCGi saved posts is;

1st
Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
Hajo: 533 (4+13)
R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
Kornel: 736 (3+4)

Mark Hughes: 30 (1+6)
JimmyB + jimrandomh: 24 [calcrogue] (+7)
The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
Björn Bergström: 196 [Dweller mobile] (1+3)
Larry Smith: 55 (4)

Martin Read: 200 (1+3)
Martin Woodard: 16 [the tombs www.thetombs.com] (3)
SZDev - Slash: 285 (1+2)
konijn: 105 (+3)
Joseph Hewitt: 17 [deadcold] (+3)

NOTE:
rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
x = recently
y = over the last year

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Tendrils - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:20:30 PM

Ray Dillinger wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> R. Dan Henry wrote:
[snip]

> Hmm, okay... the sums of the numbers in parens are arranged
> in decreasing order? so it's 19, 17, 15, 11, 7, 7, 7 4, 4 ... ?

Don't bother trying to parse it -- it's just some off-topic ABCGi/R
Pedantic mutual admiration and twisted-bashing society. Better to just
ignore it. :p

May 3, 2005 9:55:23 PM

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:
> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com>
> wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 21:42:07 +1000:
>
>>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
>>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
>>The numbers in brackets (x+y) are the count of messages from
>>this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
>>x = recently
>>y = over the last year
>>Mark Hughes: 30 (1+6)
>
> 48th, but memorable. Works for me. Of course, that's largely because
> I took a long time off from posting last year.

6th if you rank by saved posts. Yeah I noticed a big hole
for you over much of the past year.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
May 4, 2005 12:09:45 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> 60th
> Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
Nice to know that somebody here noticed. Paul hasn't seemed to have
caught on to my nym shift yet... The reason I keep my name in my sig is
so that people don't mistake me for The Sheep! Not that I've posted
enough on-topic to warrant a mistake like that.
;)

> erisdiscordia: 10 (2)
This is Erik Piper btw, not sure if this bumps up his score count
--
Ash Ellis

--Douglas Adams
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:09:46 AM

sheepy wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> 60th
>> Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
>
> Nice to know that somebody here noticed. Paul hasn't seemed to have
> caught on to my nym shift yet... The reason I keep my name in my sig is
> so that people don't mistake me for The Sheep! Not that I've posted
> enough on-topic to warrant a mistake like that.
> ;)
>
>> erisdiscordia: 10 (2)
>
> This is Erik Piper btw, not sure if this bumps up his score count

Ah interesting... thanks... missed quite a few nym
shifts... can't think of a way to track it easily...

--

sheepy wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> 60th
>> Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
>
> Nice to know that somebody here noticed. Paul hasn't seemed to have
> caught on to my nym shift yet... The reason I keep my name in my sig is
> so that people don't mistake me for The Sheep! Not that I've posted
> enough on-topic to warrant a mistake like that.
> ;)

My name is Twisted One, and you haven't posted enough on-topic to
warrant keeping your 'net access IMO.

May 4, 2005 2:59:30 AM

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
>>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)

*CORRECTION*
>>The numbers in parens (x+y) are the count of messages from
>>this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
>>x = recently
>>y = over the last year
>>
>>1st
>>Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35
>
> I am confused here; he is the first one in on topic posts???

Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
an on topic count.

>>ABCGi: 775 [inflated]
>
> This guy must not be here! ;)

heh - obviously this year as been one of high
procrastination.

>>Kornel: 736 (3+4)
>>The Sheep + RD: 629 + 2 (2+2)
>>Hajo: 533 (4+13)
>>Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
>>R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
>>David Damerell: 295 (+1)
>>SZDev - Slash: 285 (1+2)
>
> Whooa! I am in the top ten !! ;D
>
> I haven't posted a lot lately tough... may be its time to let those mad
> ideas flow out of my head :D

Bring it on!

> SNIP
>
>>Amy Wang: 5 [famed]
>
> SNIP
>
>>ShockFrost: 0 [famed - last post 1/7/2004
>> - archive count over last year = 26]
>
> They ought to come back!!! There was some elegance in their flames, in
> contrast to Neo's whinning.

I miss ShockFrost's ideas - I had saved some of his posts
from the year prior this last one. The class medal being
a beauty and the growing town on the surface being another.

*SNIP*

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:50:34 AM

"Ray Dillinger" <bear@sonic.net> wrote in message
> ABCGi wrote:

>>> This guy, though, is obviously doing something right.
>>

>> Yeah it's an enigma! He has also maintained a good level
>> from the past to present. Of course its an approximate
>> pseudo-science at best, but he has good short articles
>> that encompass an idea compactly - often in reply to
>> others initial ideas.
>>
>> "Minigames"
>> "User Interface Design"
>> "Roguelikes and vision cones"
>> "intelligent vs stupid slots"
>>
>> And this quote that took my fancy;
>> "Good ideas make good things better. Great ideas make better
>> things simple." - Ray (Bear) Dillinger
>
> Erm, okay, I'm flattered... [snip]

Hey, chalk up a compliment from me too. But seriously I am surprised
nobody has mentioned Bear's great series of AI articles. I feel that there
are several people here who have the ability to contribute more than they
already do, but do not contain the goodwill or motivation to do so. This is
what makes me respect Bear very much.

--
Glen
L:p yt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

"ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>>rgrd relative post count - May 2 2005
>>>(mystery sample over last year - not accurate)
>>>
> *CORRECTION*
>>>The numbers in parens (x+y) are the count of messages from
>>>this poster that I have saved into my good rl posts folder.
>>>x = recently
>>>y = over the last year
>>>
>>>1st
>>>Twisted One[1] + Neodymium: 782 + 35
>>
>> I am confused here; he is the first one in on topic posts???
>
> Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
> an on topic count.

It would be interesting to see on-topic posts, although I fear my personal
count would lower considerably.

--
Glen
L:p yt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>SZDev - Slash wrote:

>>*CORRECTION*

>>>I am confused here; he is the first one in on topic posts???
>>
>>Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
>>an on topic count.
>
> It would be interesting to see on-topic posts, although I fear my personal
> count would lower considerably.

Sounds like a lot of work only a human can do! For the
most part I would expect most peoples signal rates to be
high so the relative counts would still apply... with a few
exceptions.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:57:18 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
>> They ought to come back!!! There was some elegance in their flames, in
>> contrast to Neo's whinning.
>
> I miss ShockFrost's ideas - I had saved some of his posts
> from the year prior this last one. The class medal being
> a beauty and the growing town on the surface being another.
>
> *SNIP*

I on the other hand miss Amy Wang's criticism. I wonder what she would
say about DoomRL :-). Basically it's what she meant - a simple game that
doesn't restrict itself to *all* of the Rogue standards...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
Carceri -- A prelude to GenRogue... Coming Soon
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 7:03:05 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> The top #E rankings in terms of ABCGi saved posts is;
>
> 1st
> Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
> Hajo: 533 (4+13)
> R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
> Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
> Kornel: 736 (3+4)

Wierd! These saved posts must be mainly DoomRL-announcements/info cause
I don't remember posting much usefull stuff (So sad :-(. My last useful
posting to RGRD was probably the Horror in Roguelikes I: Gore article :-().

> Joseph Hewitt: 17 [deadcold] (+3)

I'm surprised he's so low :-). He's approximately in the first three top
saved mosts on my drive...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
Carceri -- A prelude to GenRogue... Coming Soon
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:13:05 PM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> The top #E rankings in terms of ABCGi saved posts is;
>>
>> 1st
>> Ray Dillinger: 280 (8+11)
>> Hajo: 533 (4+13)
>> R. Dan Henry: 328 (5+10)
>> Jeff Lait: 458 (4+7)
>> Kornel: 736 (3+4)
>
> Wierd! These saved posts must be mainly DoomRL-announcements/info cause
> I don't remember posting much usefull stuff (So sad :-(. My last useful
> posting to RGRD was probably the Horror in Roguelikes I: Gore article :-().

Lets see...
"Star Wars"
"Top Dog" - DRL
"DoomRL 0.9.8" x2

Contains tactics info that Bateau was asking about;
"Aggresive = +meleedamage, -defence, slightly faster shooting
Coward = faster movement -meleedamage, +defence, longer shooting?"

And earlier in the year;
"DRL finally released! Happy New Year :) "
"Survey" x2
"Greekie" <- Allegro criticism

My fav. quote;
"Long live persistent beta-testers! :-D"

>> Joseph Hewitt: 17 [deadcold] (+3)
>
> I'm surprised he's so low :-). He's approximately in the first three top
> saved mosts on my drive...

I was surprised as well, probably just an abberation.
And he hasn't posted much recently.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:55:59 PM

Glen Wheeler wrote::

> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
>>an on topic count.
>
> It would be interesting to see on-topic posts, although I fear my personal
> count would lower considerably.

And we still don't really know where to draw the border between on topic
and off topic.

And there could meta on topic posts, which are concerned about
statistics of on topic posts, do we want to inlcude those or not :)

(Sorry, this day is just too slow and I'm wading through 1010 unread
mesages left in this group).

--
c.u. Hajo
May 4, 2005 9:31:48 PM

Twisted One wrote:
> sheepy wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>> 60th
>>> Ash Ellis + sheepy = 15 + 3
>>

>> Nice to know that somebody here noticed. Paul hasn't seemed to have
>> caught on to my nym shift yet... The reason I keep my name in my sig
>> is so that people don't mistake me for The Sheep! Not that I've posted
>> enough on-topic to warrant a mistake like that.
>> ;)
>

> My name is Twisted One, and you haven't posted enough on-topic to
> warrant keeping your 'net access IMO.

Can you run that by me again Neo? Or was your post off-topic too? ;)

--
Ash Ellis

--Douglas Adams
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:56:13 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

>>> BTW Check out the news page on http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
>>> for Doomish writings ;)
>>

>> Geeesh, where should I search? This site is *large*!
>

> haha the "News" page - not "new" page!
>
> http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/news.html
>
> We are amused :)

:-D
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:59:48 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> Wierd! These saved posts must be mainly DoomRL-announcements/info
>> cause I don't remember posting much usefull stuff (So sad :-(. My last
>> useful posting to RGRD was probably the Horror in Roguelikes I: Gore
>> article :-().
>

> Lets see...
> "Star Wars"

Star Wars?

> "Top Dog" - DRL
> "DoomRL 0.9.8" x2
> Contains tactics info that Bateau was asking about;
> "Aggresive = +meleedamage, -defence, slightly faster shooting
> Coward = faster movement -meleedamage, +defence, longer shooting?"
>
> And earlier in the year;
> "DRL finally released! Happy New Year :) "
> "Survey" x2

So it is as I guess, no usable posts after all ;-/

> "Greekie" <- Allegro criticism

??

> My fav. quote;
> "Long live persistent beta-testers! :-D"

:-D

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Due to Pascal's original purpose as a teaching language it forces one
to learn good habits - and those good habits stay with you, even when
you later migrate to a much more forgiving language." - Sherm Pendley
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:45:50 AM

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> Glen Wheeler wrote::
>
>> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Just number of posts in the mystery sample, not
>>> an on topic count.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see on-topic posts, although I fear my
>> personal count would lower considerably.
>
> And we still don't really know where to draw the border between on topic
> and off topic.
>
> And there could meta on topic posts, which are concerned about
> statistics of on topic posts, do we want to inlcude those or not :)

An interesting AI project!

> (Sorry, this day is just too slow and I'm wading through 1010 unread
> mesages left in this group).

Shouldn't take that long to read /ten/ mesages surely? ;D

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - BINARY JOKE - Shuruppak - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:45:51 AM

ABCGi wrote:
> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>> (Sorry, this day is just too slow and I'm wading through 1010 unread
>> mesages left in this group).
>
> Shouldn't take that long to read /ten/ mesages surely? ;D

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary,
and those who don't.

sherm--

May 5, 2005 6:45:52 AM

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>>
>>> (Sorry, this day is just too slow and I'm wading through 1010 unread
>>> mesages left in this group).
>>

>> Shouldn't take that long to read /ten/ mesages surely? ;D
>

> There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary,
> and those who don't.

There are also eleven types of people in the world -- those who know
this joke, those who do, but think other's dont, and those who'll never
get it anyway ;-).
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch
of text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:34:46 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> Yeah real nice summation of the Star Wars plot as
> high fantasy fairy tale [1]

Oh yeah, now I remember ;-).

>> So it is as I guess, no usable posts after all ;-/
>>
>>> "Greekie" <- Allegro criticism
>>
>> ??
>
> You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
> wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]

Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around nervously,
scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:29:10 PM

Contrary to what some people say, my OS _is_ a lifestyle choice, not a
tool; however, I am against osizm
Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
wiadomosci news:D 5cp90$454$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
> ABCGi wrote:
>> Yeah real nice summation of the Star Wars plot as
>> high fantasy fairy tale [1]
>
> Oh yeah, now I remember ;-).
>
>>> So it is as I guess, no usable posts after all ;-/

>>> ??
>>
>> You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
>> wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]
>
> Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around
> nervously, scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)
> --
> At your service,
> Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
> [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
> My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 7:33:39 PM

Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
wiadomosci news:D 5cp90$454$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
>> You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
>> wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]
>
> Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around
> nervously, scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)

I have been watching thist thread for some time and was trying not to
get provoked - but OK, here I am - the defender of the lost case
(Allegro, just like fine music, fine art and poetry is choosen by only
few people) :-) .

Here's a short comparison:
1. why is SDL better than Allegro:
- it is easy (or so I heard) to use OpenGL with it. (this is a bit
like saying Pascal is great, because you can use C libraries)

2. why is Allegro better than SDL:
- more platforms, including ever-popular DOS
- custom 3D routines
- better unicode support
- its own GUI

3. why in IMHO Allegro is better:
- cleaner, leaner API
- self-contained, easier to build & tweak
- includes better manual and examples
- has a great mascot; if you haven't played it yet, you must play
Alex the Allegator 4 (http://www.freelunchdesign.com/games.shtml)

do I score a point? ;-)

regards,
Filip
--
Contrary to what some people say, my OS _is_ a lifestyle choice, not a
tool; however, I am against osizm
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:02:06 PM

Filip Dreger wrote:
> Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
> wiadomosci news:D 5cp90$454$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
>
>>>You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
>>>wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]
>>
>>Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around
>>nervously, scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)
>
> I have been watching thist thread for some time and was trying not to
> get provoked - but OK, here I am - the defender of the lost case
> (Allegro, just like fine music, fine art and poetry is choosen by only
> few people) :-) .

Yeah! A flamewar!
*sounds of trumpets, and a battalion rushing into battle* ;-D

> Here's a short comparison:
> 1. why is SDL better than Allegro:
> - it is easy (or so I heard)

If I could write a game in SDL in C++ without knowing much C++ after
just reading the help file in one day it must be easy. And it was 4
years ago :-).

> it is easy (or so I heard) to use OpenGL with it. (this is a bit
> like saying Pascal is great, because you can use C libraries)

Bad comparision -- most proffesional 3D Windows game programmers use
OpenGL + DirectX -- dumping the graphics of DirectX completely. SDL is
*the* choice for people who want to have their game support other
systems using OpenGL+SDL. It is a *great* advantage.

> 2. why is Allegro better than SDL:
> - more platforms, including ever-popular DOS

Come on, DOS is dead ;-). The only reason DoomRL has a DOS download is
to let Linux guys play it, until I have a working Linux version.

> - custom 3D routines

Yeah? Better then OpenGL? If not, then who the hell would care?

> - better unicode support

Prove it. SDL has Unicode support (not that I would ever need it anyway).

> - its own GUI

??

> 3. why in IMHO Allegro is better:
Why IMHO SDL is better.

> - cleaner, leaner API
Your opinion only.
- cleaner, leaner API

> - self-contained, easier to build & tweak

- modularized - you can load only the modules you need,
and don't need toi weight down the whole program if all you
want is playing a few WAVs in textmode.

> - includes better manual and examples

- includes a better helpfile (clean and all childish easy to
understand), and better modern real-life examples

> - has a great mascot; if you haven't played it yet, you must play
> Alex the Allegator 4 (http://www.freelunchdesign.com/games.shtml)

Oh come on, what kind of argument is that?
DirectX is better the OpenGL, because the DirectX X logo is much cooler
that that ugly looking OpenGL logo???

> do I score a point? ;-)

Nope. ;-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and
restart body."
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 5:16:05 AM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Filip Dreger wrote:
*SNIP*
>> - has a great mascot; if you haven't played it yet, you must play
>> Alex the Allegator 4 (http://www.freelunchdesign.com/games.shtml)

Alex was fun, and small, and worked out of the box,
homage to Mario Bros...
A little buggy and disables the close window...
requiring task manager to stop it when it went
into a loop and wouldn't let me get back to the menu....
Map editing is cool, except thats where the bugs
come in with custom maps.

SDL.DLL is 232KB which is plenty small enough that
I would include it with my install too.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Tower of Doom - Shuruppak - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:22:21 AM

"Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:D 5cp90$454$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
> ABCGi wrote:
>> Yeah real nice summation of the Star Wars plot as
>> high fantasy fairy tale [1]
>
> Oh yeah, now I remember ;-).
>
>>> So it is as I guess, no usable posts after all ;-/

>>> ??
>>
>> You bashed Allegro versus SDL right at the time I
>> wanted to compare/contrast both. [2]
>
> Ooops, khe, he he... Use SDL, it's better ;-). (*looks around nervously,
> scouting for Filip Dreger attacks*)

Apples and oranges I would say.
SDL is a bare-basic portability layer for system-specific functionality.
Allegro is a game programming toolkit. In SDL you've to write everything
yourself, Allegro comes with most/all of the stuff you'll need build in. I
abandoned the idea of making my RL graphical after trying to do it by using
SDL... In contrast I managed to transform my game from a console app into a
graphical one in a single day after I switched to Allegro. SDL is only for
people who actually want to do graphics programming / deal with low-level
details. Allegro is nice for people who hate this stuff - like me! :)

copx
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 3:54:51 PM

Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> napisal w
wiadomosci news:D 5dcf2$dd9$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
>> it is easy (or so I heard) to use OpenGL with it. (this is a bit
>> like saying Pascal is great, because you can use C libraries)
>
> Bad comparision -- most proffesional 3D Windows game programmers use
> OpenGL + DirectX -- dumping the graphics of DirectX completely. SDL
> is *the* choice for people who want to have their game support other
> systems using OpenGL+SDL. It is a *great* advantage.

uhmm.... yes, it is, that is why it got listed - I was trying to do a
comparison here, not lie about SDL :-)

>> 2. why is Allegro better than SDL:
>> - more platforms, including ever-popular DOS
>
> Come on, DOS is dead ;-). The only reason DoomRL has a DOS download
> is to let Linux guys play it, until I have a working Linux version.

OK, you may say that it is not an advantage... but you can't say it's
bad.
A couple of posts ago you told us about a friend of yours who runs
doomRL on an old dosbox with his autoexec.bat. I think it's cool - and
quite impossible with an SDL game. On the other hand, Allegro ships
with all the drivers (sound&gfx) that would allow this guy to have
both sound and gfx.

>> - custom 3D routines
> Yeah? Better then OpenGL? If not, then who the hell would care?
Hmmm... you are having trouble porting DoomRL to Linux, using standard
and popular libraries. When you try, one day, to port an OpenGL app to
Linux without disclosing the sources, you will see why it is better to
have a single static library. Linking against different versions of
Xorg, XFree and so on is very unpleasant, especially if you only want
eg. a revolving 3D logo in the intro. Something Allegro gives you out
of the box.

>> - better unicode support
> Prove it. SDL has Unicode support (not that I would ever need it
> anyway).
I withdraw this point, I am not competent enough to argue over it. You
win.

>> - its own GUI
> ??

With which of the words are you having a problem with? Allegro comes
with its own set of widgets operated by mouse/keyboard. You can use
them in your own applications, so you do not have to write your own
from the scratch or use "yet another addon library for SDL".
>>. why in IMHO Allegro is better:
> Why IMHO SDL is better.
>> - cleaner, leaner API
> Your opinion only.

Yes, of course; I separated purely subjective thoughts from real
arguments so our flame war remains elegant ;-)

>> - has a great mascot; if you haven't played it yet, you must play
>> Alex the Allegator 4 (http://www.freelunchdesign.com/games.shtml)
>
> Oh come on, what kind of argument is that?

Subjective :-)
I have yet to see a better game created with pure SDL.

> DirectX is better the OpenGL, because the DirectX X logo is much
> cooler that that ugly looking OpenGL logo???
WHAT??? SDL logo is terrible (looks like it was created by one of
those apps that create "nice" gfx buttons for busy webmasters), and
OpenGL logo has a lot of class :)

Can you argue with any of the points?:
Allegro weights exactly the same as SDL, and it:
- supports more platforms
- has more features (GUI, 3D)
- has comparable documentation

regards,
Filip
--
Contrary to what some people say, my OS _is_ a lifestyle choice, not a
tool; however, I am against osizm
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 5:43:26 PM

copx wrote:
> Apples and oranges I would say.
> SDL is a bare-basic portability layer for system-specific functionality.
> Allegro is a game programming toolkit. In SDL you've to write everything
> yourself, Allegro comes with most/all of the stuff you'll need build in. I
> abandoned the idea of making my RL graphical after trying to do it by using
> SDL... In contrast I managed to transform my game from a console app into a
> graphical one in a single day after I switched to Allegro. SDL is only for
> people who actually want to do graphics programming / deal with low-level
> details. Allegro is nice for people who hate this stuff - like me! :)

This post proves you never wrote any program with SDL ;-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Come on, Kornel. 11 years and no binary? And it's not
vapourware?" -- Mike Blackney
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 8:25:20 PM

"Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:D 5fl7c$6m9$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> copx wrote:
>> Apples and oranges I would say.
>> SDL is a bare-basic portability layer for system-specific functionality.
>> Allegro is a game programming toolkit. In SDL you've to write everything
>> yourself, Allegro comes with most/all of the stuff you'll need build in.
>> I abandoned the idea of making my RL graphical after trying to do it by
>> using SDL... In contrast I managed to transform my game from a console
>> app into a graphical one in a single day after I switched to Allegro. SDL
>> is only for people who actually want to do graphics programming / deal
>> with low-level details. Allegro is nice for people who hate this stuff -
>> like me! :)
>
> This post proves you never wrote any program with SDL ;-)

I did code the graphical RL version of hello world: a character sprite which
can be moved around the screen. This was such a painful exercise that I
decided I don't want to continue down that road. Also building SDL is a
nightmare like no other. I just wanted to build SDL + SDL_ttf - the
dependencies really killed me (on Windows where stuff like zlib, freetype
etc. isn't common). Luckily after half an hour I encountered a dependency
that refused to build so I had an excuse to abandon that torture trip...

BTW, don't you use Pascal? I mean in this case you use a warper (JediSDL?)
not plain SDL. Maybe the warper abstracts some of the uglyness away.

copx
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 8:33:22 PM

copx wrote:

> "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:D 5fl7c$6m9$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
>> copx wrote:
>>> Apples and oranges I would say.
>>> SDL is a bare-basic portability layer for system-specific functionality.
>>> Allegro is a game programming toolkit. In SDL you've to write everything
>>> yourself, Allegro comes with most/all of the stuff you'll need build in.
>>> I abandoned the idea of making my RL graphical after trying to do it by
>>> using SDL... In contrast I managed to transform my game from a console
>>> app into a graphical one in a single day after I switched to Allegro.
>>> SDL is only for people who actually want to do graphics programming /
>>> deal with low-level details. Allegro is nice for people who hate this
>>> stuff - like me! :)
>>
>> This post proves you never wrote any program with SDL ;-)
>
> I did code the graphical RL version of hello world: a character sprite
> which can be moved around the screen. This was such a painful exercise
> that I decided I don't want to continue down that road. Also building SDL
> is a nightmare like no other. I just wanted to build SDL + SDL_ttf - the
> dependencies really killed me (on Windows where stuff like zlib, freetype
> etc. isn't common). Luckily after half an hour I encountered a dependency
> that refused to build so I had an excuse to abandon that torture trip...

I would like to know how you expect SDL_ttf to work without freetype ? Also,
I wonder why you bothered to build SDL yourself at all. Prebuilt binaries
for development use are available you know. Well, maybe they were available
at the time you tested SDL :)
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 8:51:39 PM

"Christophe Cavalaria" <chris.cavalaria@free.fr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> copx wrote:
>

>> "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> news:D 5fl7c$6m9$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
>>>
>>> This post proves you never wrote any program with SDL ;-)
>>
>> I did code the graphical RL version of hello world: a character sprite
>> which can be moved around the screen. This was such a painful exercise
>> that I decided I don't want to continue down that road. Also building SDL
>> is a nightmare like no other. I just wanted to build SDL + SDL_ttf - the
>> dependencies really killed me (on Windows where stuff like zlib, freetype
>> etc. isn't common). Luckily after half an hour I encountered a dependency
>> that refused to build so I had an excuse to abandon that torture trip...
>
> I would like to know how you expect SDL_ttf to work without freetype ?
> Also,

You misunderstood something. I was perfectly aware that SDL_ttf is dependent
on freetype. So I had to build that alien artifact, too. Annoying.

> I wonder why you bothered to build SDL yourself at all. Prebuilt binaries
> for development use are available you know. Well, maybe they were
> available
> at the time you tested SDL :)

I use MinGW and IIRC only VC++ development binaries were available at that
time and there are still no MinGW binaries for SDL_ttf.

copx
!