Sppoky roguelike idea

I recently bumped into an obscure SNES game, titled 'Diable de Laplace'.
It's a CRPG, and not one about thermodynamics, as the title could suggest.

It's a ghost-story based CRPG, party-based, pretty combat-oriented, in the
style of most japanese CRPGs on the SNES.

I think it has some ideas worth adopting into a roguelike.

The plot revolves around an old, abandoned mansion, rumored to be
inhabited some time ago by a weird eccentric, who went missing in
strange circumstances. Norm.

You control a party of three people, but you can change the members of
your team at the local bar. You can also rest in the hotel, buy things,
etc. in town. Then you're ready to leave for the mansion, which is
haunted. You encounter random ghosts and monsters and fight your way
through, solving some simple quests along the road.

You can recruit several diffrent personalities:
- detective -- can use firearms
- medium -- can cast spells
- journalist -- can use camera
- scientist -- uses his spirit machine

The last two personalities are the most interesting.
The journalist cannot help much in combat, but she can take
photos of monsters you're fighting, using up film.
The photos are your main source of income -- the better they come up and
the rarer (stronger) the monster is, the more you get paid for the photo.

The spirit machine is another interesting thing. The scientist can use it
to do several kinds of spell-like attacks, using up batteries. With time
he builds in new parts, and the machine gets more and more attacks
available -- note how it's very interesting alternative for spells in
modern settings.

I see 3 most interesting things about this game: the setting, the photos
and the spirit machine.

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
`The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

    The Sheep wrote:
    > I recently bumped into an obscure SNES game, titled 'Diable de Laplace'.
    > It's a CRPG, and not one about thermodynamics, as the title could suggest.
    >
    > It's a ghost-story based CRPG, party-based, pretty combat-oriented, in the
    > style of most japanese CRPGs on the SNES.
    >
    > I think it has some ideas worth adopting into a roguelike.
    >
    > The plot revolves around an old, abandoned mansion, rumored to be
    > inhabited some time ago by a weird eccentric, who went missing in
    > strange circumstances. Norm.
    >
    > You control a party of three people, but you can change the members of
    > your team at the local bar. You can also rest in the hotel, buy things,
    > etc. in town. Then you're ready to leave for the mansion, which is
    > haunted. You encounter random ghosts and monsters and fight your way
    > through, solving some simple quests along the road.
    >
    > You can recruit several diffrent personalities:
    > - detective -- can use firearms
    > - medium -- can cast spells
    > - journalist -- can use camera
    > - scientist -- uses his spirit machine
    >
    > The last two personalities are the most interesting.
    > The journalist cannot help much in combat, but she can take
    > photos of monsters you're fighting, using up film.
    > The photos are your main source of income -- the better they come up and
    > the rarer (stronger) the monster is, the more you get paid for the photo.
    >
    > The spirit machine is another interesting thing. The scientist can use it
    > to do several kinds of spell-like attacks, using up batteries. With time
    > he builds in new parts, and the machine gets more and more attacks
    > available -- note how it's very interesting alternative for spells in
    > modern settings.
    >
    > I see 3 most interesting things about this game: the setting, the photos
    > and the spirit machine.

    That would be interesting. The photos concept has been done in a few
    other games (although not necessarily with photos), and usually with
    great success. It kind of takes a few different concepts, and ties
    them together really nicely. It definitely provides more immersion
    for the player. Rather than have the ghosts drop money, like in
    certain other games, the player has to earn his money in a more
    believable, and immersive, fashion. Plus, it kind of has that
    collection feel to it, like a Pokemon-type game ("Gotta photograph
    them all!"). Not to mention, if you allow the player to save
    photographs (I'm guessing the SNES game didn't let you), then you add
    a bit of a community feel to the game, since then you can trade and
    show others your photos. Metal Gear Solid let you take pictures,
    although they had no real game purpose, but it was a lot of fun to
    show your cool pictures to your friends.

    The setting sounds pretty cool too, and it's surprisingly rare in
    games, despite the huge amount of literature dedicated to such
    settings. Making a roguelike in such a setting would be great,
    especially if you take a cue from Kornel and put in some nice music
    and sound effects. In a spooky haunted mansion, a nice eerie
    soundtrack could really enhance the effect. Plus, it adds another bit
    of gameplay possibilities. For example, some ghosts might not be
    visible immediately, forcing you to rely off of sound to find them.

    The spirit machine is a rather nice substitute for spellcasting, plus
    it features one of my favorite little types of gameplay: upgrades.
    Allowing player's to find/buy upgrades for themselves or a piece of
    equipment is always good fun. Metroid did it, with Samus's suit, and
    helped make it one of the greatest NES games of all time.

    Very cool idea, Sheep. Some of the coolest gameplay ideas were made
    back in the NES/SNES/Sega Genesis era, and it shows. Going back and
    playing all those old console classics is a great way to find some
    fresh inspiration.

    --
    "There are of course many problems connected with life, of
    which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'

    -- The Book.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    The Sheep wrote:
    > You control a party of three people, but you can change the members of
    > your team at the local bar. You can also rest in the hotel, buy things,
    > etc. in town. Then you're ready to leave for the mansion, which is
    > haunted. You encounter random ghosts and monsters and fight your way
    > through, solving some simple quests along the road.

    Sounds like a lot of Squaresoft SNES CRPGs.

    --
    http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
    Reichstag fire -> 9/11

    I actually had the same idea a while back. The idea of a 'survival
    horror roguelike' appealing. The other interesting idea here is the
    classes/character archtypes, which would be more creative than the
    typical ones seen in many RPGs today. And the mansion, if it were
    properly generated, could have an interesting layout and many
    interesting items. Different sections of the mansion would be sort of
    like 'branch' dungeons in Crawl or similar roguelikes; you'd have an
    attic, the basement, the hedge maze, a graveyard, the library, and so
    forth, each with their own differing shape, items, enemies, and things
    to explore.

    The spirit machine in Demon of Laplace wasn't used as a substitute for
    magic. They actually had a somewhat original method for spellcasters,
    too--spellcasters started with almost no magic, but found writings in
    the house that could be deciphered to control supernatural powers. I
    think that might also have potental for a roguelike based on the
    game--there wouldn't be any "spellcasting class", but there could be
    scholars and the like who start with knowledge of ancient writing.
    Another interesting thing about this is that any secrets found in the
    house would probably be 'evil', and might wear at the player's sanity
    if they delved into them. Sanity which could be represented in-game by
    a sanity description on the player's character sheet, and by
    disabilities--confusion, fear, temporary statitic loss--occuring when
    using magic or confronting horrifying enemies based on how stable the
    player remains. Naturally, losing your sanity completely would be
    equivilent to death.

    That said, this roguelike would require a lot of new things that aren't
    seen in traditional roguelikes. For instance, you can't believably
    have players going straight 'deeper and deeper' into a house; you'll
    have to find ways to send them into different sections while keeping it
    interesting. There would have to be more emphasis on exploring the
    house then on killing monsters and descending deeper.

    If you haven't played Sweet Home for the NES yet, then I recommend
    that, too. It's a similar game in many ways.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    The Sheep wrote:
    > I recently bumped into an obscure SNES game, titled 'Diable de Laplace'.
    > It's a CRPG, and not one about thermodynamics, as the title could suggest.
    >
    > It's a ghost-story based CRPG, party-based, pretty combat-oriented, in the
    > style of most japanese CRPGs on the SNES.
    *SNIP*

    Cool! It was either scary or it was star trek related (Spokky :)

    http://www.romnation.net/srv/download/rom/40582/snes/Diable-De-Laplace-J.html
    http://alexandria.rpgclassics.com/game.php?game=537
    http://alexandria.rpgclassics.com/SNES/demonoflaplace/demonoflaplace_1.txt
    http://alexandria.rpgclassics.com/SNES/demonoflaplace/demonoflaplace_2.txt

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

    Dnia Fri, 06 May 2005 15:16:37 +1000,
    ABCGi napisal(a):

    > The Sheep wrote:
    >> I recently bumped into an obscure SNES game, titled 'Diable de Laplace'.
    >> It's a CRPG, and not one about thermodynamics, as the title could suggest.

    >> It's a ghost-story based CRPG, party-based, pretty combat-oriented, in the
    >> style of most japanese CRPGs on the SNES.
    > *SNIP*

    > Cool! It was either scary or it was star trek related (Spokky :)
    Sorry for the typo, thanks for the links.

    --
    Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
    `The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3
    Dopieralski .vvVvVVVVVvVVVvVVVvVvVVvVvvVvVVVVVVvvVVvvVvvvvVVvVVvv.v.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > The Sheep wrote:
    >> I recently bumped into an obscure SNES game, titled 'Diable de Laplace'.
    >> It's a CRPG, and not one about thermodynamics, as the title could
    >> suggest.
    >>
    >> It's a ghost-story based CRPG, party-based, pretty combat-oriented, in
    >> the
    >> style of most japanese CRPGs on the SNES.
    > *SNIP*
    >
    > Cool! It was either scary or it was star trek related (Spokky :)
    >
    > http://www.romnation.net/srv/download/rom/40582/snes/Diable-De-Laplace-J.html
    > http://alexandria.rpgclassics.com/game.php?game=537
    > http://alexandria.rpgclassics.com/SNES/demonoflaplace/demonoflaplace_1.txt
    > http://alexandria.rpgclassics.com/SNES/demonoflaplace/demonoflaplace_2.txt

    Is there a English version?

    copx
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Dnia Fri, 6 May 2005 17:39:11 +0200,
    copx napisal(a):

    > "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> The Sheep wrote:
    >>> I recently bumped into an obscure SNES game, titled 'Diable de Laplace'.
    >>> It's a CRPG, and not one about thermodynamics, as the title could
    >>> suggest.

    > Is there a English version?

    Well, the version I played was english. Fan-translated probably, but still
    english. Can't rememebr where I got it, though :(

    --
    Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
    `The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3
    Dopieralski .vvVvVVVVVvVVVvVVVvVvVVvVvvVvVVVVVVvvVVvvVvvvvVVvVVvv.v.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    "The Sheep" <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Dnia Fri, 6 May 2005 17:39:11 +0200,
    > copx napisal(a):
    >

    >> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >> Is there a English version?
    >
    > Well, the version I played was english. Fan-translated probably, but still
    > english. Can't rememebr where I got it, though :(

    Using my elite research skills I discovered an English version. The English
    title of the game is "Demon of Laplace" but the translation patch is only
    95% complete and the combat and status screens are messed up. Does your
    version have these faults, too?

    copx
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Dnia Fri, 6 May 2005 20:59:31 +0200,
    copx napisal(a):

    > "The Sheep" <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> Dnia Fri, 6 May 2005 17:39:11 +0200,
    >> copx napisal(a):
    >>> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >>> Is there a English version?

    >> Well, the version I played was english. Fan-translated probably, but still
    >> english. Can't rememebr where I got it, though :(

    > Using my elite research skills I discovered an English version. The English
    > title of the game is "Demon of Laplace" but the translation patch is only
    > 95% complete and the combat and status screens are messed up. Does your
    > version have these faults, too?

    Yup.
    Only my version seems to be translated from french.
    It especially shows in the combat messages, wchich have very weird word
    order.

    But, so what, it's playable with a pinch of good will :)

    --
    Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
    `The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3
    Dopieralski .vvVvVVVVVvVVVvVVVvVvVVvVvvVvVVVVVVvvVVvvVvvvvVVvVVvv.v.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    The Sheep wrote:
    > Dnia Fri, 06 May 2005 15:16:37 +1000,
    > ABCGi napisal(a):
    >
    >>The Sheep wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently bumped into an obscure SNES game, titled 'Diable de Laplace'.
    >>>It's a CRPG, and not one about thermodynamics, as the title could suggest.
    >
    >>>It's a ghost-story based CRPG, party-based, pretty combat-oriented, in the
    >>>style of most japanese CRPGs on the SNES.
    >>
    >>*SNIP*
    >
    >>Cool! It was either scary or it was star trek related (Spokky :)
    >
    > Sorry for the typo, thanks for the links.

    Where did they go? ;)

    They were more for those that can't use google !!! ;P

    --
    ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
    Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
    DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
    Heroic Adventure - Powder - Shuruppak - TheTombs
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On 5 May 2005 20:53:23 -0700, Aquillion@zombieworld.com wrote:

    >That said, this roguelike would require a lot of new things that aren't
    >seen in traditional roguelikes. For instance, you can't believably
    >have players going straight 'deeper and deeper' into a house; you'll
    >have to find ways to send them into different sections while keeping it
    >interesting. There would have to be more emphasis on exploring the
    >house then on killing monsters and descending deeper.

    Or have the evil growing over time, so the same areas of the house
    become more and more actively haunted until the source of the evil is
    destroyed/banished.

    R. Dan Henry = danhenry@inreach.com
    Idiot boy, when are you going to post something useful?
    Or better yet, get a job and stop being a welfare bum?
    Dance, Puppet, dance!
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry wrote:
    > Or have the evil growing over time, so the same areas of the house
    > become more and more actively haunted until the source of the evil is
    > destroyed/banished.

    Fine.

    [snip]

    Not fine. Stop attacking me in unrelated threads.

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

    > Not fine. Stop attacking me in unrelated threads.

    Are you really this stupid? Fine, I'll explain it to you: It's his
    signature, you idiot. He's not attacking you in unrelated threads. And he
    can't hear you. You're talking to a wall. Hope you're enjoying your
    conversation with your imaginary friend.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    My least favorite stalker wrote:
    [snip insult #1]

    > It's his signature

    [snip insults #2 to 3 million or so]

    No, it isn't. If it were, it would appear on all of his posts. It
    doesn't. It appears on most of them, and nearly all of the posts he
    makes to rgrd with a few in rgrm, but there are plenty where it doesn't.

    It does smell rather spammy though, what with the repetition with almost
    zero variation.

  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    That would work, and would certainly make things interesting, but you'd
    also have to find ways to give players new items and to keep the game
    interesting.

    Although, going through the same areas over and over again doesn't have
    to be dull, especially if a combination of those two approaches is
    used... New rooms, areas, and wings of the house open up as the game
    progresses, while the main house itself and its central halls become
    more and more dangerous. Something like the Super Metroid or
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night approach.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Dnia Sat, 07 May 2005 14:09:19 -0700,
    R Dan Henry napisal(a):

    > On 5 May 2005 20:53:23 -0700, Aquillion@zombieworld.com wrote:
    >
    >>That said, this roguelike would require a lot of new things that aren't
    >>seen in traditional roguelikes. For instance, you can't believably
    >>have players going straight 'deeper and deeper' into a house; you'll
    >>have to find ways to send them into different sections while keeping it
    >>interesting. There would have to be more emphasis on exploring the
    >>house then on killing monsters and descending deeper.
    >
    > Or have the evil growing over time, so the same areas of the house
    > become more and more actively haunted until the source of the evil is
    > destroyed/banished.

    Hey, that's a good idea.
    I'm not sure whether the time should be the direct factor.

    You could make backing of to town a strategic decission by making the
    "level of mansion" increase every time the player reenters it.

    Or make some simple quests, which, when completed, will unlock some small
    parts of the mansion (or just give you some extra stuff) and progress the
    plot a little bit, while increasing the level of difficulty.

    --
    Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
    `The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3
    Dopieralski .vvVvVVVVVvVVVvVVVvVvVVvVvvVvVVVVVVvvVVvvVvvvvVVvVVvv.v.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 09:41:25 +0000 (UTC), The Sheep
    <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

    >Dnia Sat, 07 May 2005 14:09:19 -0700,
    > R Dan Henry napisal(a):
    >
    >> On 5 May 2005 20:53:23 -0700, Aquillion@zombieworld.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>That said, this roguelike would require a lot of new things that aren't
    >>>seen in traditional roguelikes. For instance, you can't believably
    >>>have players going straight 'deeper and deeper' into a house; you'll
    >>>have to find ways to send them into different sections while keeping it
    >>>interesting. There would have to be more emphasis on exploring the
    >>>house then on killing monsters and descending deeper.
    >>
    >> Or have the evil growing over time, so the same areas of the house
    >> become more and more actively haunted until the source of the evil is
    >> destroyed/banished.
    >
    >Hey, that's a good idea.
    >I'm not sure whether the time should be the direct factor.

    Sure. That'll be the timer. Now you don't need to worry about food as
    a timer. You could have some food, but make it restore hit points, or
    sanity (comfort food), or something.

    >You could make backing of to town a strategic decission by making the
    >"level of mansion" increase every time the player reenters it.

    They need to be locked in, at least at the gate to the grounds, or the
    bridge is out, or they're snowed in, or something.

    >Or make some simple quests, which, when completed, will unlock some small
    >parts of the mansion (or just give you some extra stuff) and progress the
    >plot a little bit, while increasing the level of difficulty.

    Well, unlocking parts of the mansion would be a good thing. Finding
    keys, secret passages, learning unlocking spells. This advances the
    character in the game. That's a different question compared to
    increasing the danger level. (For example:) You can sit at level 1 on
    Nethack, gaining character levels and the danger level will increase,
    but you won't be making progress in the game.

    --
    R. Dan Henry = danhenry@inreach.com
    Idiot boy, when are you going to post something useful?
    Or better yet, get a job and stop being a welfare bum?
    Dance, Puppet, dance!
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

    >Twisted One's Mother wrote:
    >
    >> It's his signature
    >
    >No, it isn't. If it were, it would appear on all of his posts. It
    >doesn't. It appears on most of them, and nearly all of the posts he
    >makes to rgrd with a few in rgrm, but there are plenty where it doesn't.

    It's still his signature. There's this really neat feature on
    newsreaders, where you can have multiple sigs, or even automagically
    generated sigs, for different groups. He really should put it after a
    proper sig delimiter, of course.

    >It does smell rather spammy though, what with the repetition with almost
    >zero variation.

    That's what many people's sigs are: the same on every post. Doesn't
    make it spam.

    --
    This is my .sig block. Please note that it is properly formatted.
    <URL:http://www.theregister.co.uk/> Biting the hand that feeds IT.

    R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:

    >Or have the evil growing over time, so the same areas of the house
    >become more and more actively haunted until the source of the evil is
    >destroyed/banished.

    Your sig is broken. Please fix it.

    --
    L:C++/Java E++ T- R+ !P/P++ D+++ !G F:NHack !RL RLA W:G[F] Q AI++ GFX- !SFX RN++++ PO--- Hp- Re+++
    S---/++

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 21:49:42 -0400, Paul Arthur
    <flowerysong00@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >He really should put it after a
    >proper sig delimiter, of course.

    I have. Wish someone would have pointed out I'd forgotten that instead
    of all the comments on the puppet's dance.

    --
    R. Dan Henry = danhenry@inreach.com
    Idiot boy, when are you going to post something useful?
    Or better yet, get a job and stop being a welfare bum?
    Dance, Puppet, dance!
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry wrote:
    [snip on-topic stuff]
    [snip rude off-topic gratuitous unprovoked attack]

    Die!
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry wrote:
    [snip some flamage and general idiocy]

    Die!

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Paul Arthur wrote:
    > R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Or have the evil growing over time, so the same areas of the house
    >>become more and more actively haunted until the source of the evil is
    >>destroyed/banished.
    >
    > Your sig is broken. Please fix it.

    ITYM "delete it". Its sole purpose (and it's a /faux/ sig anyway, since
    it's not the same for every post he makes) seems to be to spread flames
    to every thread into which he posts.

  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

    > Most people's aren't inflammatory.

    If you consider normal reactions to be inflammatory, the problem is with
    you.
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

    > Die!

    Live!
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

    > ITYM "delete it". Its sole purpose (and it's a /faux/ sig anyway, since
    > it's not the same for every post he makes) seems to be to spread flames
    > to every thread into which he posts.

    Your sig changes, Paul, does that mean that it's not a real sig? What
    makes a sig, anyways? Well, I'm pretty sure that you don't get to decide.
    Why do you keep commanding people who obviously aren't listening to you or
    have you killfiled? You're like a small child who knows they can't get
    something but just keeps whining and whining to annoy everyone else.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    leave?
    > They need to be locked in, at least at the gate to the grounds, or
    the
    > bridge is out, or they're snowed in, or something.

    I was thinking about this. The problem is, that defeats the purpose of
    the Journalist/Photography abilities (where the player takes
    photographs of monsters and sells them outside to make money.) Maybe
    it would be better to give up on photography entirely and just lock
    players in the mansion, which is, as you say, more suitable to the
    genre; but an alternative would be to allow the player to enter and
    leave at will early on, then lock them in once they've progressed past
    a certain point.

    Now, hear me through. Another advantage of this is that it emphazises
    the feeling of iscolation when the gates are finally locked.
    Stylistically, keeping the player locked in 24/7 isn't going to help
    establish mood; the vast majority of Roguelikes out there lock the
    player in in some fashion or another. It's accepted, so it won't
    affect anyone's perception of the game... The outside world doesn't
    really exist to them, so they don't feel like they're trapped. Whereas
    a game like Gearhead has fantastic amenities available in towns--you
    can whip out your phone and get cheap food, virtually free medical
    care, ammunition, and so forth in an instant from virtually any city in
    the game. This makes Gearhead's 'sewer-diving' missons and other
    expeditions away from civilization seem much more isolated than they do
    in games that never let you leave at all.

    Of course something would have to be done to prevent the player from
    stockpiling an insane amount of resources before they get trapped in
    the mansion, but I think the idea does have some potental.
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    My least favorite stalker wrote:
    [snip lies and deceit]

    Please go away.

  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

    > My least favorite stalker wrote:

    Who's your most favorite stalker? Tell us about all the people who stalk
    you! I bet your real popular with all the chicks!
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

    > Please go away.

    Only three short words. That's not very concise. It's difficult to
    understand exactly what you mean.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    The Sheep wrote:

    > You control a party of three people, but you can change the members
    of
    > your team at the local bar. You can also rest in the hotel, buy
    things,
    > etc. in town

    "Darklands" (which I highly recommend) includes a party of max 5
    characters, including a default party, or generated de novo characters,
    who can leave or be recruited in towns (very detailed setting in
    medieval germany, down to the currency system: with florins, pfennigs,
    and something else. you can buy things in town, stay in the hotel, even
    get a temporary job if adventuring doesn't pay the bills, then hang out
    in the back alleys and wait for some thugs for overtime.

    Unfortunately, it doesn't work for my XP machine; it was designed for
    95/98.

Video Games