not curses as evil acts or something.. i need curses or ncurses for
windows.. how? where? why? please help.. thank you.. i'm new to curses
so i don't know anything about them.. tried yahoo-ing but got shitty
results..

thanx in advance

vooood

Dnia Thu, 05 May 2005 20:51:01 +0200,
vooood napisal(a):

> not curses as evil acts or something.. i need curses or ncurses for
> windows.. how? where? why? please help.. thank you.. i'm new to curses
> so i don't know anything about them.. tried yahoo-ing but got shitty
> results..

Try to look for pdcurses.
djgpp (www.delorie.com/djgpp) has it precompiled.

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
`The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

On Thu, 5 May 2005 19:10:07 +0000 (UTC), The Sheep
<sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

>Dnia Thu, 05 May 2005 20:51:01 +0200,
> vooood napisal(a):
>
>> not curses as evil acts or something.. i need curses or ncurses for
>> windows.. how? where? why? please help.. thank you.. i'm new to curses
>> so i don't know anything about them.. tried yahoo-ing but got shitty
>> results..
>
>Try to look for pdcurses.
>djgpp (www.delorie.com/djgpp) has it precompiled.

Actually, you shouldn't use the precompiled binaries for PDCurses. It has
a misfeature where PDC_Breakout() returns true when a key is pressed.

While this does help cut down on time spent redrawing the screen, it's
counter-productive for games that use delay statements (i.e. every
roguelike.)

vooood wrote:
> Raymond Martineau wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 May 2005 19:10:07 +0000 (UTC), The Sheep
> > <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> >>Try to look for pdcurses.
> >>djgpp (www.delorie.com/djgpp) has it precompiled.
> >

> > Actually, you shouldn't use the precompiled binaries for PDCurses.
It has
> > a misfeature where PDC_Breakout() returns true when a key is
pressed.

> > While this does help cut down on time spent redrawing the screen,
it's
> > counter-productive for games that use delay statements (i.e. every
> > roguelike.)
>
> actually i will use microsoft visual studio :D i know don't tell me
> anything..

MSVC is cool. I'd personally avoid PDCurses and instead just do an SDL
wrapper to simulate your required curses calls. Whether this is a good
idea likely depends on how much curses you use.

You can see my approach to this, and steal the appropriate code, at:
http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce

I have a project file for MSVC there.
--
Jeff Lait

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2005 19:10:07 +0000 (UTC), The Sheep
> <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>

>>Dnia Thu, 05 May 2005 20:51:01 +0200,
>>vooood napisal(a):
>>

>>>not curses as evil acts or something.. i need curses or ncurses for
>>>windows.. how? where? why? please help.. thank you.. i'm new to curses
>>>so i don't know anything about them.. tried yahoo-ing but got shitty
>>>results..
>>
>>Try to look for pdcurses.
>>djgpp (www.delorie.com/djgpp) has it precompiled.
>

> Actually, you shouldn't use the precompiled binaries for PDCurses. It has
> a misfeature where PDC_Breakout() returns true when a key is pressed.
>
> While this does help cut down on time spent redrawing the screen, it's
> counter-productive for games that use delay statements (i.e. every
> roguelike.)

actually i will use microsoft visual studio :D i know don't tell me
anything..

vooood
-----
it's hard to be stupid amongst smart people, but it's even harder to be
smart amongst stupid people

On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:57:24 +0200, vooood <vooood@IHATESPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

>Raymond Martineau wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 May 2005 19:10:07 +0000 (UTC), The Sheep
>> <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

>>>Try to look for pdcurses.
>>>djgpp (www.delorie.com/djgpp) has it precompiled.
>>

>> Actually, you shouldn't use the precompiled binaries for PDCurses. It has
>> a misfeature where PDC_Breakout() returns true when a key is pressed.
>>
>> While this does help cut down on time spent redrawing the screen, it's
>> counter-productive for games that use delay statements (i.e. every
>> roguelike.)
>>

>actually i will use microsoft visual studio :D i know don't tell me
>anything..

That's why I written a wrapper function for my 7DRL attempt. :)

PDCurses can still function inder W32, just recompile the project if
possible to disable the misfeture.

> That's why I written a wrapper function for my 7DRL attempt. :)
>
> PDCurses can still function inder W32, just recompile the project if
> possible to disable the misfeture.

to disable what? btw. it was a real pain in the ass to "install"
pdcurses with ms v.studio .net since it does not register global path
adn lib variables.. i had to do it myself..

vooood

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> [off topic, stupid flamage deleted]

Do you ever get tired of repeating yourself? When are you going to say
something original or on topic? I've written AI while drunk that's smarter
and more interesting than you.

Jeff Lait wrote:
> MSVC is cool. I'd personally avoid PDCurses and instead just do an SDL
> wrapper to simulate your required curses calls. Whether this is a good
> idea likely depends on how much curses you use.

now that you mention this i did some research.. check this out:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/console_functions.asp

with this you don't even have to use curses or sdl (if you code for
windows only as i am).. every needed function can be derived from this..
clear_screen, color_print.. anything you need if you feel like making it..

anybody can tell me about the *speed* of these functions?

thanx

vooood

Dnia Fri, 06 May 2005 22:25:21 +0200,
vooood napisal(a):

> now that you mention this i did some research.. check this out:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/console_functions.asp

> with this you don't even have to use curses or sdl (if you code for
> windows only as i am).. every needed function can be derived from this..
> clear_screen, color_print.. anything you need if you feel like making it..

> anybody can tell me about the *speed* of these functions?

I don't program for windows at all, but I've heard that windows console
and text mode functions in the standard libraries tend to be horribly
slow.

--

The Sheep wrote:
>>anybody can tell me about the *speed* of these functions?
>
> I don't program for windows at all, but I've heard that windows console
> and text mode functions in the standard libraries tend to be horribly
> slow.

Of course. That's because everything made by Microsoft tends to be
horribly slow.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11

Twisted One wrote:
> The Sheep wrote:
>
>>> anybody can tell me about the *speed* of these functions?
>>

>> I don't program for windows at all, but I've heard that windows console
>> and text mode functions in the standard libraries tend to be horribly
>> slow.
>

> Of course. That's because everything made by Microsoft tends to be
> horribly slow.

That's not really true. Buggy, unstable, and insecure, but not
necessarily slow. Unless you factor in the time it takes to restart
your MS app because it crashed. That does slow it down a bit. ;-P

--
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'

-- The Book.

Timothy Pruett wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:

>>> I don't program for windows at all, but I've heard that windows console
>>> and text mode functions in the standard libraries tend to be horribly
>>> slow.
>>
>> Of course. That's because everything made by Microsoft tends to be
>> horribly slow.
>
> That's not really true. Buggy, unstable, and insecure, but not
> necessarily slow. Unless you factor in the time it takes to restart
> your MS app because it crashed. That does slow it down a bit. ;-P

Slow. Slow slow slow slow slow. The only things they do with blinding
speed are crash, get infected by stuff, and destroy data gratuitously.

--

The Sheep wrote:
> Dnia Fri, 06 May 2005 22:25:21 +0200,
> vooood napisal(a):
>

>>now that you mention this i did some research.. check this out:
>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/console_functions.asp
>

>>with this you don't even have to use curses or sdl (if you code for
>>windows only as i am).. every needed function can be derived from this..
>>clear_screen, color_print.. anything you need if you feel like making it..
>

>>anybody can tell me about the *speed* of these functions?
>

> I don't program for windows at all, but I've heard that windows console
> and text mode functions in the standard libraries tend to be horribly
> slow.

so you say that i stick to curses? i have linux and am thinking that i
_might_ make a multiplatform game..

vooood

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Paul Derbyshire wrote:
>

>> Nymshifting coward.
>

> Pot, kettle...
>
> sherm--

and you forgot to mention that i got NO answer to my question :) at
least not a direct one :)

vooood

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:

> Nymshifting coward.

I don't get it. Is this a joke? Or are you being serious? Because if it's
a joke, it's not very funny. I mean... what do you mean when you tell
people to stop trolling and flaming you? And now you're calling me a
nymshifter? Wouldn't that involve me... shifting my name? Wearas we all
know that you have? Do I have something wrong here? If it was a joke that
I just didn't get, please excuse me. But I'm sure we'd all like to know
what kind of astounding logic you used to come up with this drivel!

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Sherm Pendley wrote:

> Nothing, and I can prove it - in court if necessary. Don't push me, Paul
> - I'll push back, and the evidence is on my side.

Sherm, if you go to court, I'll be there to prove that I am you. There's
no use fighting it. Just give in. We are one.

But, man, that Paul Derbyshire guy sure is an idiot, isn't he? We should
come up with a nickname for him. It should fit... maybe... Idiot Boy?

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> I do *NOT* want to go that far - to have a debate over a *game* come to
> legal action is absurd. But it's really your choice; if you persist in
> this deliberate slander and defamation, I'll be forced to do something
> about it.

There is no deliberate slander and defamation. There is, however, your
continuing harassment, which has devolved into threats now. (And threats
of legal action! Over Usenet posts! Bahahahaha...)

Twisted One wrote:
> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
>> I do *NOT* want to go that far - to have a debate over a *game* come
>> to legal action is absurd. But it's really your choice; if you persist
>> in this deliberate slander and defamation, I'll be forced to do
>> something about it.
>
> There is no deliberate slander and defamation. There is, however, your
> continuing harassment, which has devolved into threats now. (And threats
> of legal action! Over Usenet posts! Bahahahaha...)

And besides, even if you are two separate beings that just act so much
alike that I can't tell you apart, whose fault is that? Hmm?

caradhras@my-deja.com wrote:
> It is highly likely that "Twisted One's Mother" is a sockpuppet of
> Twisted One himself.

It is highly likely that skipping your meds like that might be
dangerous. I suggest you consult your physician before doing it again!

caradhras@my-deja.com wrote:
> I practically guarantee "Twisted One's mother" is actually a sockpuppet
> of Twisted One himself. The style is just too similar.

What style? He/she/it is attacking me, and moreover is taking the
initiative by launching unprovoked attacks at me more or less
gratuitously in previously unaffected threads and newsgroups. That's
more like Sherm or Pedantic, or maybe that Jim guy, or even, perhaps ...
you.

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Twisted One wrote:
> [Snip Paul Derbyshire talking out of his ass]
>
> They're a bunch of trolls. Best to ignore them.

Why don't you take your own advice? It seems it would be best for you.