Since I know how much people like it, here's a little feedback on
DoomRL (doomrl-win-098-full).

It's awesome. I was utterly astounded how well sound fit into the game.
An already great game at that.

I especially like how plasma rifles seem to be good now.

That said, there's also a few issues I noticed:

1. when an action fails, you still get the sound as if it worked.
Switching to a weapon you don't have, getting an item with a full
inventory and so on.

2. If you have no shotgun ammo in your inventory, you can't use the
reload command to pump another round into the combat shotgun, even
though there are still rounds left in the shotgun.

3. When you pick up a chainsaw, you get the messages "You don't have a
rocket". You're set to beserk, and the chainsaw is not equipped.

4. Drops can spill through walls.

5. spelling errors:
"You see : a demon (severly<sic> wounded)" (vs severely)
"the air is realy<sic> humid here" (vs really)
"You see : a demon (mortaly<sic> wounded)" (vs mortally)
"You reload the double shotgun with <sic> shotgun shell." (lack of the)

6. Oddities:
"The hell knight reloads his pistol"

7. Requests:
- Some way to access message history.
- numbers should select most loaded weapon, not first weapon.
- since combat shotguns carry their 'un-pumped' status into the
inventory, it should be noted there.

-Jonathan

On Mon, 9 May 2005 00:13:07 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Beverley
<jmbeverl@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>5. spelling errors:
>"You reload the double shotgun with <sic> shotgun shell." (lack of the)

Should be "A shotgun shell" rather than "the shotgun shell". The implies
that there is a specific one being loaded.

>6. Oddities:
>"The hell knight reloads his pistol"

Seems okay, even if it's awkward for this monster class to be using
weaponry.

How about "You reload the double-barrelled shotgun."

Unless Kornel envisions alternative ammo (e.g. solid shotgun slugs, AP
or incendiary rockets), we generally know what ammo goes where, and if
there isn't any, player already gets a different message informing him
of that fact, including which ammo he is currently lacking for this
particular reload.

"You reload the shotgun with posies."

"You reload the double-barrel shotgun with rock-salt"

"You reload the plasma rifle with jumper cables"

Hey, there's an idea-a rare switch, which, if operated, fully charges
one inventory space worth of cells per operation (might make the rifle&
bfg more useful-not adding more inventory space in cells, just charging
the existing ones). but then you should be able to keep the empty
cells.

Raymond Martineau wrote:

> On Mon, 9 May 2005 00:13:07 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Beverley
> <jmbeverl@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>>6. Oddities:
>>"The hell knight reloads his pistol"
>

> Seems okay, even if it's awkward for this monster class to be using
> weaponry.

Wait until the first time you open a door and receive a rocket in the
face :) I already died once like that. It was only later that I noticed
that *of hell monsters can use weapons they pickup.

Jonathan Beverley wrote:
> Since I know how much people like it, here's a little feedback on
> DoomRL (doomrl-win-098-full).
>
> It's awesome. I was utterly astounded how well sound fit into the game.
> An already great game at that.

:-D

> That said, there's also a few issues I noticed:
>
> 1. when an action fails, you still get the sound as if it worked.
> Switching to a weapon you don't have, getting an item with a full
> inventory and so on.

Noticed. Will correct that.

> 2. If you have no shotgun ammo in your inventory, you can't use the
> reload command to pump another round into the combat shotgun, even
> though there are still rounds left in the shotgun.

Aaaah. Ok, I see.

> 3. When you pick up a chainsaw, you get the messages "You don't have a
> rocket". You're set to beserk, and the chainsaw is not equipped.

Ooops ;-). Ok.

> 4. Drops can spill through walls.

This will probably stay -- it's for convinience (what to do with items,
that can't find a place to drop?)

> 5. spelling errors:
> "You see : a demon (severly<sic> wounded)" (vs severely)
> "the air is realy<sic> humid here" (vs really)
> "You see : a demon (mortaly<sic> wounded)" (vs mortally)

Uh, ok ;-).

> "You reload the double shotgun with <sic> shotgun shell." (lack of the)

Not "a"? Or actually "two" ;-)

> 6. Oddities:
> "The hell knight reloads his pistol"

Why is it odd? If you can use a pistol, so can he ;-D

> 7. Requests:
> - Some way to access message history.

Ok.

> - numbers should select most loaded weapon, not first weapon.

Hmm.

> - since combat shotguns carry their 'un-pumped' status into the
> inventory, it should be noted there.

Hmm. I'll see.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

In article <d5nk7h$9l7$1@inews.gazeta.pl>, Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Jonathan Beverley wrote:
>> "You reload the double shotgun with <sic> shotgun shell." (lack of the)
>
> Not "a"? Or actually "two" ;-)

Yeah, as noticed elsewhere, "... two shells." is probably best.

>> 6. Oddities:
>> "The hell knight reloads his pistol"
>
> Why is it odd? If you can use a pistol, so can he ;-D

It's odd because he's declining flaming plasma to shot 9mm
slugs. Now, hell knights with plasma rifles are nasty...

-Jonathan

On Mon, 9 May 2005, The Sheep wrote:

> Kornel Kisielewicz napisal(a):
>> Jonathan Beverley wrote:
>>> Now, hell knights with plasma rifles are nasty...
>
>> I always wanted to add a BFG as a random drop. Imagine opening a room
>> and having a Hell Knight fire a BFG right into your face :-D
>
> Isn't PC immune to the BFG?

I don't think the PC should be, when it's fired by a monster; unless
that's the way Doom did it. (But I guess in Doom monsters don't use
the same weapons as the PC, so the situation never arises?)

Cross-thread comment: I see nothing wrong with "You reload the shotgun
with shotgun shell." I'm not sure it's quite grammatical, but to me it
reads as if "shell" is a collective plural, the same as "9mm ammo."
Explicitly saying "with two shotgun shells" sounds ridiculous to me.
Would a Marine really need to count them? ;-)
Incidentally, for some reason I always misread "9mm ammo" as "live ammo"
when I'm scanning the message line, and I find it really weird. Well,
of course it's live ammo! :) I bet I'm the only one with that particular
quirk, though.

-Arthur

On Mon, 9 May 2005 11:45:28 -0400 (EDT), "Arthur J. O'Dwyer"
<ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 9 May 2005, The Sheep wrote:
>>
>> Isn't PC immune to the BFG?
>
> I don't think the PC should be, when it's fired by a monster; unless
>that's the way Doom did it. (But I guess in Doom monsters don't use
>the same weapons as the PC, so the situation never arises?)

Some monsters (mostly zombie human types) used pistols, shotguns,
chainguns, and rocket launchers, but never the BFG.

> Cross-thread comment: I see nothing wrong with "You reload the shotgun
>with shotgun shell." I'm not sure it's quite grammatical, but to me it
>reads as if "shell" is a collective plural, the same as "9mm ammo."
>Explicitly saying "with two shotgun shells" sounds ridiculous to me.
>Would a Marine really need to count them? ;-)

Why not just "you reload the double shotgun"? We all know what's going
in there.
--
auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
*****

Jonathan Beverley wrote:
> In article <d5nk7h$9l7$1@inews.gazeta.pl>, Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>>6. Oddities:
>>>"The hell knight reloads his pistol"
>>
>>Why is it odd? If you can use a pistol, so can he ;-D
>>

> It's odd because he's declining flaming plasma to shot 9mm
> slugs.

Not exactly -- He fires his flaming plasma as often as usual, but
additionaly he fire's his pistol from time to time :)

> Now, hell knights with plasma rifles are nasty...

I always wanted to add a BFG as a random drop. Imagine opening a room
and having a Hell Knight fire a BFG right into your face :-D
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to
start playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis

Dnia Mon, 09 May 2005 14:54:54 +0200,
Kornel Kisielewicz napisal(a):

> Jonathan Beverley wrote:
>> Now, hell knights with plasma rifles are nasty...

> I always wanted to add a BFG as a random drop. Imagine opening a room
> and having a Hell Knight fire a BFG right into your face :-D

Isn't PC immune to the BFG?

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
`The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2005 00:13:07 +0000 (UTC), Jonathan Beverley
> <jmbeverl@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>
>>5. spelling errors:
>>"You reload the double shotgun with <sic> shotgun shell." (lack of the)
>
> Should be "A shotgun shell" rather than "the shotgun shell". The implies
> that there is a specific one being loaded.

Actually "You reload the double shotgun with two shells."

And it is hardly going to be any other type of shell so
"shotgun shell" is unnecessary.

>>6. Oddities:
>>"The hell knight reloads his pistol"
>
> Seems okay, even if it's awkward for this monster class to be using
> weaponry.

"The hell knight does a little dance and calls you names."

Now that's an oddity!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

Auric__ wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2005 11:45:28 -0400 (EDT), "Arthur J. O'Dwyer"
> <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 9 May 2005, The Sheep wrote:
>>
>>>Isn't PC immune to the BFG?
>>
>> I don't think the PC should be, when it's fired by a monster; unless
>>that's the way Doom did it. (But I guess in Doom monsters don't use
>>the same weapons as the PC, so the situation never arises?)
>

> Some monsters (mostly zombie human types) used pistols, shotguns,
> chainguns, and rocket launchers, but never the BFG.
Well, the Arch-Vile used a power that worked just like a BFG, it was
just innate.

The BFG basically kills everyone other than its wielder.

The Sheep wrote:
> Dnia Mon, 09 May 2005 14:54:54 +0200,
> Kornel Kisielewicz napisal(a):
>>Jonathan Beverley wrote:
>>
>>>Now, hell knights with plasma rifles are nasty...
>
>>I always wanted to add a BFG as a random drop. Imagine opening a room
>>and having a Hell Knight fire a BFG right into your face :-D
>
> Isn't PC immune to the BFG?

No :). The *shooting entity* is immune to the BFG ;-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Gott weiss, Ich will kein Engel sein..." -- Rammstein /Engel/

jasonnorthrup@yahoo.com wrote:
> There's sounds?

Duh! Missed the 0.9.8 announcement? Then what are you waiting, go and
download :-D. All people here will probably agree that it's worth it...
http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/
--

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> 4. Drops can spill through walls.
>
> This will probably stay -- it's for convinience (what to do with items,
> that can't find a place to drop?)

Stack them in the available squares when they can't spread out? Angband
does this. Crawl just stacks them all in the square the monster used to
occupy.

>> "You reload the double shotgun with <sic> shotgun shell." (lack of the)
>
> Not "a"? Or actually "two" ;-)

Or "shells". Or just "You reload the <foo>".

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> I always wanted to add a BFG as a random drop. Imagine opening a room
> and having a Hell Knight fire a BFG right into your face :-D

If people want that experience, they'll just play deathmatch. Doom or
quake 2 or quake 3. ;)

J. W. McCall wrote:
> Well, the Arch-Vile used a power that worked just like a BFG, it was
> just innate.

Not really -- its damage is more like a rocket, and doesn't hit lots of
other nearby creatures. And there's nothing that travels.

> The BFG basically kills everyone other than its wielder.

Well -- I've fired one into a crowd of monsters (in actual doom) and had
some survive, especially if there were some powerful monsters present.

Auric__ wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2005 11:45:28 -0400 (EDT), "Arthur J. O'Dwyer"
> <ajo@nospam.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 9 May 2005, The Sheep wrote:
>>
>>>Isn't PC immune to the BFG?
>>
>> I don't think the PC should be, when it's fired by a monster; unless
>>that's the way Doom did it. (But I guess in Doom monsters don't use
>>the same weapons as the PC, so the situation never arises?)
>

> Some monsters (mostly zombie human types) used pistols, shotguns,
> chainguns, and rocket launchers, but never the BFG.
>

>> Cross-thread comment: I see nothing wrong with "You reload the shotgun
>>with shotgun shell." I'm not sure it's quite grammatical, but to me it
>>reads as if "shell" is a collective plural, the same as "9mm ammo."
>>Explicitly saying "with two shotgun shells" sounds ridiculous to me.
>>Would a Marine really need to count them? ;-)
>

> Why not just "you reload the double shotgun"? We all know what's going
> in there.

Add 's' to end of shell in original & done.

--

Twisted One wrote:
> J. W. McCall wrote:
>
>> Well, the Arch-Vile used a power that worked just like a BFG, it was
>> just innate.
>

> Not really -- its damage is more like a rocket, and doesn't hit lots of
> other nearby creatures. And there's nothing that travels.
>
>> The BFG basically kills everyone other than its wielder.
>

> Well -- I've fired one into a crowd of monsters (in actual doom) and had
> some survive, especially if there were some powerful monsters present.

Typically, any powerful creature will survive. From my experience,
Barons of Hell and the like only get splattered by a direct hit from a
BFG blast.

--
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'

-- The Book.

Twisted One wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>>> 4. Drops can spill through walls.
>>
>> This will probably stay -- it's for convinience (what to do with
>> items, that can't find a place to drop?)
>
> Stack them in the available squares when they can't spread out? Angband
> does this. Crawl just stacks them all in the square the monster used to
> occupy.

One of the design decisions of DoomRL was one item per square. It speeds
up play anyway.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Well, the philosophy of the World of Shadows is based on most of the
degenerate, immoral and foremost amoral philosophical beliefs of our
world exagarated to the maximum." --Anubis

Quoting J. W. McCall <jmccallhoustonrrcom>:
>Auric__ wrote:
>>Some monsters (mostly zombie human types) used pistols, shotguns,
>>chainguns, and rocket launchers, but never the BFG.
>Well, the Arch-Vile used a power that worked just like a BFG, it was
>just innate.

Just like a BFG except for being single target and completely different.

Similarities between the BFG and AV flame;
Lots of damage
Takes a while to wind up
Er
That's it.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Second Tuesday, May.

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> One of the design decisions of DoomRL was one item per square. It speeds
> up play anyway.

Ah ... the good old law of unintended consequences. ;)

I like how Angband handles it. It stacks objects if it must, but spreads
them out if it can. So dragons make a satisfying *splat* and turn into a
huge spray of loot. ;)

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:

>>> This will probably stay -- it's for convinience (what to do with
>>> items, that can't find a place to drop?)
>>
>> Stack them in the available squares when they can't spread out?
>> Angband does this. Crawl just stacks them all in the square the
>> monster used to occupy.
>
> One of the design decisions of DoomRL was one item per square. It speeds
> up play anyway.

I like watching closely when I die and my items
splay over the screen :)

That and playing RLRLT (RogueLike Rocket Launcher Tennis!)