Getting Into the BIOS

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 19, 2004 5:29:22 AM

Hello All,

I've spent an interesting day trying to get into the BIOS of a Dell
Optiplex Gs 5166M. A very nice person who frequents this newsgroup made
some suggestions. Unfortunately, none were effective.

I've hit F2 and F8 and Del and every other single and key combo I can
think of. Nothing works. I can interrupt the memory check by hiting
Esc; or pause it by hitting Ctrl+Break.

The nice man who tried to help said to hit F2 when the Dell Splash
screen appears. It never does. I see the POST screen then the Windows
splash - it's Win98. Finally, the login screen. By several different
key presses I can bring up the win load selection menu --- Normal,
Logged, Safe Mode, etc.

I saw a jumper strip. Several appear to be clock multipliers. One says
Pswd, it's jumped. The last says BIOS, no jumper. I've tried
removing the Pswd jumper - no effect. Applied the jumper to the BIOS
pins, system wouldn't boot, no avtivity at all. Restored jumper as
found, system boots.

The reason for getting into the BIOS is so I can set up to boot from the
CD-ROM. All drives work and can be accessed. It just won't boot off
the CD-ROM.

I bought this old beater to be my router and I want to load Linux. Do
hope that's not a dirty word around here. Anyway, that's the story.
Suggestions?

helen c

Phoenix ROM BIOS
version 1.10 A04

S3 TrioV+ Enhanced Video BIOS
version 1.03-02

More about : bios

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 5:30:41 AM

Cntrl-Alt-Enter

"helen c" <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I've spent an interesting day trying to get into the BIOS of a Dell
> Optiplex Gs 5166M. A very nice person who frequents this newsgroup made
> some suggestions. Unfortunately, none were effective.
>
> I've hit F2 and F8 and Del and every other single and key combo I can
> think of. Nothing works. I can interrupt the memory check by hiting
> Esc; or pause it by hitting Ctrl+Break.
>
> The nice man who tried to help said to hit F2 when the Dell Splash screen
> appears. It never does. I see the POST screen then the Windows splash -
> it's Win98. Finally, the login screen. By several different key presses
> I can bring up the win load selection menu --- Normal, Logged, Safe Mode,
> etc.
>
> I saw a jumper strip. Several appear to be clock multipliers. One says
> Pswd, it's jumped. The last says BIOS, no jumper. I've tried removing
> the Pswd jumper - no effect. Applied the jumper to the BIOS pins, system
> wouldn't boot, no avtivity at all. Restored jumper as found, system
> boots.
>
> The reason for getting into the BIOS is so I can set up to boot from the
> CD-ROM. All drives work and can be accessed. It just won't boot off the
> CD-ROM.
>
> I bought this old beater to be my router and I want to load Linux. Do
> hope that's not a dirty word around here. Anyway, that's the story.
> Suggestions?
>
> helen c
>
> Phoenix ROM BIOS
> version 1.10 A04
>
> S3 TrioV+ Enhanced Video BIOS
> version 1.03-02

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:00:03 AM

Thank You So Much - I'm In!!

WSZsr wrote:
> Cntrl-Alt-Enter
>
> "helen c" <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>I've spent an interesting day trying to get into the BIOS of a Dell
>>Optiplex Gs 5166M. A very nice person who frequents this newsgroup made
>>some suggestions. Unfortunately, none were effective.
August 19, 2004 6:44:49 AM

Well, my joy was short lived. Turns out this thing doesn't have a
selection to boot from the CD-ROM, though the Autoexec.bat file implied
that such was possible.

I have a Win 98SE boot disc w/ the CD-ROM driver. I can boot up and
inspect the files on the ROM drive, but I can't make any of the
executables load and run.

I'll root around some more and see what I can dig up. Any tips or
suggestions greatly appreciated.

helen

helen c wrote:

> Thank You So Much - I'm In!!
>

> WSZsr wrote:
>
>> Cntrl-Alt-Enter
>>
>> "helen c" <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I've spent an interesting day trying to get into the BIOS of a Dell
>>> Optiplex Gs 5166M. A very nice person who frequents this newsgroup
>>> made some suggestions. Unfortunately, none were effective.

August 19, 2004 6:44:50 AM

helen..

if you boot with a win98 boot disk...once the floppy has finished

change the drive to the cd rom ....which should be your D drive.

they once you have the D drive prompt...type in setup

that should start the windows 98 exe file on your cd rom

tony

> Well, my joy was short lived. Turns out this thing doesn't have a
> selection to boot from the CD-ROM, though the Autoexec.bat file implied
> that such was possible.
>
> I have a Win 98SE boot disc w/ the CD-ROM driver. I can boot up and
> inspect the files on the ROM drive, but I can't make any of the
> executables load and run.
>
> I'll root around some more and see what I can dig up. Any tips or
> suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> helen
>

> helen c wrote:
>>
>> Thank You So Much - I'm In!!
>>

>> WSZsr wrote:
>>
>>> Cntrl-Alt-Enter
>>>
>>> "helen c" <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:57:53 AM

booting from the windows98 boot floppy does ask if you want to boot with cd
support or not... it does not say if you want to boot from the floppy, after
all that message is the result of having already booted from the floppy. if
linux requires that you boot from a cd then you do indeed have a problem
with this system (short of finding a compatible controller and cd rom drive
and installing it in the system).

but if you want to load the system with windows 98 here is my procedure for
doing so...

after backing up... and downloading all the current drivers for windows 98se
from dells site for you particular systems video, sound, modem, etc... and
flashing the BIOS to the most recent version (assumming that yours is not
the the most recent) this is how i would do it...

what you need is a win98se cd and the win98se startup floppy diskette.
1) boot with the win98se boot disk

2) at the 'a' prompt type 'fdisk' and say 'y' to accept large block
addressing (aka fat 32, so that you can make a single partition out of the
current drive), you will see a menu that does not have many choice and will
be able to fumble through it... first choose to display the current
partitions so that you know what you have. next delete each partition.
finally, create a single dos partition that is an 'active' (bootable)
partition. you press escape to exit when it is complete and restart your
system

3) again, boot from the win98se floppy 'with cd support'

4) at the 'a' prompt type 'format c: /s /l' this will format the drive,
transfer the system (making it bootable), and prompt you for a volume label
(call it whatever you want)

5) again, boot from the win98se floppy 'with cd support'

6) make a folder on the new 'c' drive and copy windows to it as follows. do
this so that you will not have to ever use your win98se cd again or hack the
registry to make it look to a copy of windows source code on your hard disk.
you could copy it anywhere but this is where it is usually located. at the
'a' prompt type...

"md c:\windows" <enter>

"md c:\windows\options" <enter>

"md c:\windows\options\cabs" <enter>

and to copy the raw windows program to the hard drive... using the xcopy
tool that is on the cd... and assuming that your cd is now drive letter 'd'

"d:\tools\oldmsdos\xcopy d:\win98\*.* c:\windows\options\cabs\*.* /s" once
complete, remove the win98se cd, and boot floppy and restart

7) your pc should now boot to a 'c' prompt (assuming that you removed the cd
and floppy)

8) next, install windows.... at the 'c' prompt type

"\windows\options\cabs\setup" <enter>

be aware that windows will come to a point where it asks you what directory
it should be installed. since there is already a 'c:\windows' folder it
suggestes 'c:\windows.000'. tell it no, and type in "c:\windows". it will
warn you that it already exisits but we know that it does becuase we created
it and know that it is empty....

9) after it is done, restart the system over and over again until it starts
'clean' (no new hardware detected.... then one by one install each of your
drivers (video, sound, modem, etc).

it sounds a lot more complicated than it is... but this way you won't have
to get out your win98cd again when you add or update a component...

"helen c" <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Well, my joy was short lived. Turns out this thing doesn't have a
> selection to boot from the CD-ROM, though the Autoexec.bat file implied
> that such was possible.
>
> I have a Win 98SE boot disc w/ the CD-ROM driver. I can boot up and
> inspect the files on the ROM drive, but I can't make any of the
> executables load and run.
>
> I'll root around some more and see what I can dig up. Any tips or
> suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> helen
>

> helen c wrote:
> >
> > Thank You So Much - I'm In!!
> >

> > WSZsr wrote:
> >
> >> Cntrl-Alt-Enter
> >>
> >> "helen c" <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:25:15 PM

"helen c" wrote...
> I bought this old beater to be my router and I want to load Linux. Do
> hope that's not a dirty word around here. Anyway, that's the story.
> Suggestions?

First, look for BIOS upgrade on Dell's site for this machine. You'll
download either a Windows flash utility, or a DOS .exe that will make a boot
floppy for you. You'll boot this and it will flash your BIOS. Could prove
important.

If you want to make a Linux router out of this, you can do that from a
floppy.

If you want to install Linux, you need the install CD's and a boot floppy.
This is the better choice.

One place for boot disks: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm - Get one
that will load a CD driver.

Ed
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:18:31 PM

Hello Christopher,

This is truly a useful and complete recipe for loading a system. In
fact I've added it to my archive of useful guides.

One item was of particular interest - flashing the ROM BIOS. I will
investigate this avenue further. It may be possible to add the
capibility to boot from the ROM drive.

Again thank you.

Christopher Muto wrote:
> booting from the windows98 boot floppy does ask if you want to boot with cd
> support or not... it does not say if you want to boot from the floppy, after
> all that message is the result of having already booted from the floppy. if
> linux requires that you boot from a cd then you do indeed have a problem
> with this system (short of finding a compatible controller and cd rom drive
> and installing it in the system).
>
> but if you want to load the system with windows 98 here is my procedure for
> doing so...

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 5:38:01 PM

Hello Ed,

This line of reasoning has interesting possibilities. Some questions
come to mind:
1. Could I download this BIOS flash module and Win utility and put them
on a floppy. Or must the box I'm going to flash be linked to the web.
You indicate the utility should be on a floppy; I'm hoping the flash
patch is too. The download and floppy make I can do from my main box
which is running RHL 9.
2. Yes I intend to start this old horse as a router. Maybe down the
road I'll build it up. Do you know of a website that discusses the
floppys to prepare for a simple router configuration? That way I
wouldn't need my Linux discs.

As to the Linux boot floppy with CD-ROM driver. I'll persue that. The
one I made via the Annaconda system loader aborts the boot. I think
because it's expecting to see an existing Linux O/S on C. The typical
initrd.img file is over 2M, so the linuz boot image is going to be
using the initrd on the C. Another problem is that it doesn't currently
have the ROM driver; but there is about 800M available to accomidate
that driver. I'll look at the site you mention and see if there's
something useful.

Thank You Ed,
Helen

Ed Wurster wrote:

> First, look for BIOS upgrade on Dell's site for this machine. You'll
> download either a Windows flash utility, or a DOS .exe that will make a boot
> floppy for you. You'll boot this and it will flash your BIOS. Could prove
> important.

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:02:26 PM

helen c wrote:
> This line of reasoning has interesting possibilities. Some questions
> come to mind:
> 1. Could I download this BIOS flash module and Win utility and put
> them on a floppy. Or must the box I'm going to flash be linked to
> the web. You indicate the utility should be on a floppy; I'm
> hoping the flash patch is too. The download and floppy make I can do
> from my main box which is running RHL 9.

You build the flash boot floppy on any machine. It boots to DOS and either
runs the flash, or you type the command. Then eject the floppy and boot. As
someone has said, you may not have the CD boot option even with the newer
BIOS.

If the Windows flash utility will run on your system, you can copy it over
via floppy.

> 2. Yes I intend to start this old horse as a router. Maybe down the
> road I'll build it up. Do you know of a website that discusses the
> floppys to prepare for a simple router configuration? That way I
> wouldn't need my Linux discs.

I don't have a link for this, but you can search for something like "linux
router boot floppy disk" and find the disk. I believe you will build one
floppy and that will boot to linux and router. Don't forget you'll need two
net cards.

Ed
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:59:01 PM

helen, i don't think that upgrading the bios on this model will enable you
to boot from the cd with this particular machine. and though i know little
about linux, i suspect there must be a way to create a set of bootable
floppies that would in turn recognize your cd rom drive and allow you to
install form that device... even xp has the ability to boot from a set of
floppies as does all previous versions of windows... post the question in
the linux groups. good luck.

> Hello Christopher,
>
> This is truly a useful and complete recipe for loading a system. In
> fact I've added it to my archive of useful guides.
>
> One item was of particular interest - flashing the ROM BIOS. I will
> investigate this avenue further. It may be possible to add the
> capibility to boot from the ROM drive.
>
> Again thank you.
>

> Christopher Muto wrote:
> > booting from the windows98 boot floppy does ask if you want to boot with
cd
> > support or not... it does not say if you want to boot from the floppy,
after
> > all that message is the result of having already booted from the floppy.
if
> > linux requires that you boot from a cd then you do indeed have a problem
> > with this system (short of finding a compatible controller and cd rom
drive
> > and installing it in the system).
> >
> > but if you want to load the system with windows 98 here is my procedure
for
> > doing so...

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 10:41:40 PM

Based on past history with other Pentium-class computers and also the
proprietary nature of the early Optiplex boxes, if the Optiplex BIOS did not
originally support booting from CD-ROM, then a BIOS update will not help either.

It only with the availability of late Pentium systems, usually with Pentium MMX,
that BIOSes were able to boot from CD-ROM drives... Ben Myers

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:02:26 -0400, "Ed Wurster" <ea_wurster@comcast.net> wrote:

>helen c wrote:
>> This line of reasoning has interesting possibilities. Some questions
>> come to mind:
>> 1. Could I download this BIOS flash module and Win utility and put
>> them on a floppy. Or must the box I'm going to flash be linked to
>> the web. You indicate the utility should be on a floppy; I'm
>> hoping the flash patch is too. The download and floppy make I can do
>> from my main box which is running RHL 9.
>
>You build the flash boot floppy on any machine. It boots to DOS and either
>runs the flash, or you type the command. Then eject the floppy and boot. As
>someone has said, you may not have the CD boot option even with the newer
>BIOS.
>
>If the Windows flash utility will run on your system, you can copy it over
>via floppy.
>
>> 2. Yes I intend to start this old horse as a router. Maybe down the
>> road I'll build it up. Do you know of a website that discusses the
>> floppys to prepare for a simple router configuration? That way I
>> wouldn't need my Linux discs.
>
>I don't have a link for this, but you can search for something like "linux
>router boot floppy disk" and find the disk. I believe you will build one
>floppy and that will boot to linux and router. Don't forget you'll need two
>net cards.
>
>Ed

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 5:31:26 AM

Hi Ed,
Actually, you generously provided the answer this morning when you
pointed me toward bootdisk.com. From there I found a Linux kernel,
router, firewall and logger on one, bootable floppy. At least that's
what is claimed. Tommorow I shall download it and see how it flies.
Actually, come to think of it, I'll have to wait a couple of days to
really try it. The ride is in the shop and I need to get a couple of
ethernet cards and cables. I already have the swithch.

Thanks again Ed,
helen c

Ed Wurster wrote:
> helen c wrote:
>
>>This line of reasoning has interesting possibilities. Some questions
>>come to mind:
>>1. Could I download this BIOS flash module and Win utility and put
>>them on a floppy. Or must the box I'm going to flash be linked to
>> the web. You indicate the utility should be on a floppy; I'm
>>hoping the flash patch is too. The download and floppy make I can do
>>from my main box which is running RHL 9.
>

> You build the flash boot floppy on any machine. It boots to DOS and either
> runs the flash, or you type the command. Then eject the floppy and boot. As
> someone has said, you may not have the CD boot option even with the newer
> BIOS.
>
> If the Windows flash utility will run on your system, you can copy it over
> via floppy.
>

>>2. Yes I intend to start this old horse as a router. Maybe down the
>>road I'll build it up. Do you know of a website that discusses the
>>floppys to prepare for a simple router configuration? That way I
>>wouldn't need my Linux discs.
>

> I don't have a link for this, but you can search for something like "linux
> router boot floppy disk" and find the disk. I believe you will build one
> floppy and that will boot to linux and router. Don't forget you'll need two
> net cards.
>
> Ed

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 9:20:14 AM

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html

Smart Boot Manager usually allows you to boot from the CD-ROM when you can't
make that choice in the BIOS.

Brian

"helen c" <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I've spent an interesting day trying to get into the BIOS of a Dell
> Optiplex Gs 5166M. A very nice person who frequents this newsgroup made
> some suggestions. Unfortunately, none were effective.
>
> I've hit F2 and F8 and Del and every other single and key combo I can
> think of. Nothing works. I can interrupt the memory check by hiting
> Esc; or pause it by hitting Ctrl+Break.
>
> The nice man who tried to help said to hit F2 when the Dell Splash screen
> appears. It never does. I see the POST screen then the Windows splash -
> it's Win98. Finally, the login screen. By several different key presses
> I can bring up the win load selection menu --- Normal, Logged, Safe Mode,
> etc.
>
> I saw a jumper strip. Several appear to be clock multipliers. One says
> Pswd, it's jumped. The last says BIOS, no jumper. I've tried removing
> the Pswd jumper - no effect. Applied the jumper to the BIOS pins, system
> wouldn't boot, no avtivity at all. Restored jumper as found, system
> boots.
>
> The reason for getting into the BIOS is so I can set up to boot from the
> CD-ROM. All drives work and can be accessed. It just won't boot off the
> CD-ROM.
>
> I bought this old beater to be my router and I want to load Linux. Do
> hope that's not a dirty word around here. Anyway, that's the story.
> Suggestions?
>
> helen c
>
> Phoenix ROM BIOS
> version 1.10 A04
>
> S3 TrioV+ Enhanced Video BIOS
> version 1.03-02

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:21:22 AM

helen c wrote:
> Hi Ed,
> Actually, you generously provided the answer this morning when you
> pointed me toward bootdisk.com. From there I found a Linux kernel,
> router, firewall and logger on one, bootable floppy. At least
> that's what is claimed. Tommorow I shall download it and see how it
> flies. Actually, come to think of it, I'll have to wait a couple of
> days to really try it. The ride is in the shop and I need to get a
> couple of ethernet cards and cables. I already have the swithch.

Glad I could help. That is probably the best use of the old computer.

Some useful tips also came out of this.

Ed
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 8:33:44 AM

Hey Brian,

I've been away a few days. Just saw your note. Took a quick trip to
Sourceforge. Looks good!

Tnx,
helen c

Brian K wrote:
> http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html
>
> Smart Boot Manager usually allows you to boot from the CD-ROM when you can't
> make that choice in the BIOS.
>
> Brian
>

> "helen c" <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>I've spent an interesting day trying to get into the BIOS of a Dell
>>Optiplex Gs 5166M. A very nice person who frequents this newsgroup made
>>some suggestions. Unfortunately, none were effective.
>>
>>I've hit F2 and F8 and Del and every other single and key combo I can
>>think of. Nothing works. I can interrupt the memory check by hiting
>>Esc; or pause it by hitting Ctrl+Break.
>>
>>The nice man who tried to help said to hit F2 when the Dell Splash screen
>>appears. It never does. I see the POST screen then the Windows splash -
>>it's Win98. Finally, the login screen. By several different key presses
>>I can bring up the win load selection menu --- Normal, Logged, Safe Mode,
>>etc.
>>
>>I saw a jumper strip. Several appear to be clock multipliers. One says
>>Pswd, it's jumped. The last says BIOS, no jumper. I've tried removing
>>the Pswd jumper - no effect. Applied the jumper to the BIOS pins, system
>>wouldn't boot, no avtivity at all. Restored jumper as found, system
>>boots.
>>
>>The reason for getting into the BIOS is so I can set up to boot from the
>>CD-ROM. All drives work and can be accessed. It just won't boot off the
>>CD-ROM.
>>
>>I bought this old beater to be my router and I want to load Linux. Do
>>hope that's not a dirty word around here. Anyway, that's the story.
>>Suggestions?
>>
>>helen c
>>
>>Phoenix ROM BIOS
>>version 1.10 A04
>>
>>S3 TrioV+ Enhanced Video BIOS
>>version 1.03-02

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:25:25 PM

The links on the referenced page are broken. To download any version, go to the
home page: http://btmgr.sourceforge.net , You'll see an index there for
everything about the software... Ben Myers

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:33:44 GMT, helen c <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Hey Brian,
>
>I've been away a few days. Just saw your note. Took a quick trip to
>Sourceforge. Looks good!
>
>Tnx,
>helen c
>

>Brian K wrote:
>> http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html
>>
>> Smart Boot Manager usually allows you to boot from the CD-ROM when you can't
>> make that choice in the BIOS.
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> "helen c" <amazon.galhn.nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>I've spent an interesting day trying to get into the BIOS of a Dell
>>>Optiplex Gs 5166M. A very nice person who frequents this newsgroup made
>>>some suggestions. Unfortunately, none were effective.
>>>
>>>I've hit F2 and F8 and Del and every other single and key combo I can
>>>think of. Nothing works. I can interrupt the memory check by hiting
>>>Esc; or pause it by hitting Ctrl+Break.
>>>
>>>The nice man who tried to help said to hit F2 when the Dell Splash screen
>>>appears. It never does. I see the POST screen then the Windows splash -
>>>it's Win98. Finally, the login screen. By several different key presses
>>>I can bring up the win load selection menu --- Normal, Logged, Safe Mode,
>>>etc.
>>>
>>>I saw a jumper strip. Several appear to be clock multipliers. One says
>>>Pswd, it's jumped. The last says BIOS, no jumper. I've tried removing
>>>the Pswd jumper - no effect. Applied the jumper to the BIOS pins, system
>>>wouldn't boot, no avtivity at all. Restored jumper as found, system
>>>boots.
>>>
>>>The reason for getting into the BIOS is so I can set up to boot from the
>>>CD-ROM. All drives work and can be accessed. It just won't boot off the
>>>CD-ROM.
>>>
>>>I bought this old beater to be my router and I want to load Linux. Do
>>>hope that's not a dirty word around here. Anyway, that's the story.
>>>Suggestions?
>>>
>>>helen c
>>>
>>>Phoenix ROM BIOS
>>>version 1.10 A04
>>>
>>>S3 TrioV+ Enhanced Video BIOS
>>>version 1.03-02

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:55:58 PM

As a zip file it's only 18 KB. Let me know if you have trouble finding the
download.

Brian

!