MN-700 Access Point

Last response: in Networking
October 31, 2004 12:29:31 AM

The MN-700 must be hardwired to another router. It is not a wireless access
point.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Nick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an MN-700 which I am trying to set up in my son's
> room to connect his xbox and PC via wireless to my SMC
> wireless router and the internet. I've been trying to set
> it up as an Access Point but it doesn't seem to work -
> can't get connectivity to the SMC to work, and things seem
> to go bad when I set the base station name. Should this
> setup work? Is there some configuration trick I need here?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

More about : 700 access point

October 31, 2004 12:55:47 AM

I have an MN-700 which I am trying to set up in my son's
room to connect his xbox and PC via wireless to my SMC
wireless router and the internet. I've been trying to set
it up as an Access Point but it doesn't seem to work -
can't get connectivity to the SMC to work, and things seem
to go bad when I set the base station name. Should this
setup work? Is there some configuration trick I need here?

Thanks,
Nick
November 1, 2004 10:03:21 AM

The MN-700 configuration manual clearly shows that it can
be set up as an Access Point under the "Security" menu.
I'm trying to figure out how to get it to work properly in
that mode. The router functionality is provided by my
SMC. Do you have any experience in trying to get this to
work?

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:24:51 AM

As I posted, you need to have the unit hard-wired to a base station/router
for that functionality. With the MN-700 you need to reset the hardware to
factory settings, and then program it properly. There are details in this
Microsoft Knowledge Base article to guide you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817463

Remember, the MN-700 must be connected to the base station/router to receive
a signal. It is not a true access point which can receive and transmit a
signal without the physical connection.
--

!