Sign in with
Your question

Win7 freezes a few minutes after startup, Ubuntu 12.04 does not

Last response: in Windows 7
January 13, 2013 9:45:21 PM

Hello, I am new to the forum and seeking help.

I recently experienced a bad boot sector on my HDD and had to reinstall Windows 7 (x64). I then also installed Ubuntu 12.04. Since then, when I load up Windows, it will start up, load icons, gadgets etc, but then within a few minutes it will freeze and I have to do a hard reboot. Ubuntu doesn't do this. If I don't hard reboot I get a BSOD.

I am pretty sure Windows was not a bad install or anything. I assume it's probably because Windows uses more resources than Ubuntu. Could the damaged hard drive cause a problem like this or can I assume I also have problems with the graphics card or the RAM?

Windows freezes in normal mode and normal mode with low resolution. As far as I can tell it does NOT freeze in safe mode, unless I've just not been using it long enough. Does this sound like the sort of problem a driver could cause instead of a hardware problem?
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2013 11:23:19 PM

if its ok in ubuntu and safe mode then its going to be a driver or software issue
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2013 11:25:12 PM

It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2013 11:50:57 PM

Ubuntu is much less critical of the memory than Windows 7 a computer that freezes with Windows 7 due to the memory may work without problem with Ubuntu. You should test the memory with memtest86 for at least three passes to eliminate the memory as being the problem. The freezing could also be due to the hard disk try chkdsk and get it to test all of the sectors.
m
l
!