What's a Contrast Ratio?!

TMNB

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
well i want to buy a new LED monitor for gaming and HD movies, my graphic card is: sapphire 7950 OC,

i want to buy 24 inc monitor with resolution 1920x1080, Response Time: 2ms.

the thing is, i almost know what i want, but the Contrast Ratio is killing my decision. what is that? how it influence the image quality, what the differences between : 1:1000 or 1:5000000, WHO IS BETTER?!

Do not worry about the contrast ratio. It is simply the ratio of black to white at full brightness. Most monitors have MORE contrast than the user can even see!

Also, different manufacturers rate it differently, and the ones with the REALLY high numbers use something called dynamic contrast where they turn off some of the LED backlights to make black blacker to greatly increase the ratio.

TMNB

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

yeah i heard about dynamic contrast and that its better but i can't really tell which monitor have dynamic contrast. but as far as i understand, fix me if i'm wrong, contrast ratio useful when i'm changing brightness right? but when i'm on default setting its doesn't matter?

Is you play games or watch movies in a dark room then you might see the difference with dynamic contrast. You can tell which ones have it because they have the REALLY high contrast ratios, above 100,000:1

Actually, the contrast has more to do with the black levels than the bright levels.