Sign in with
Your question

Changing between AHCI or IDE

Last response: in Windows 7
January 13, 2013 10:34:31 PM

I recently purchased a HP 8440p laptop with Windows 7 Pro. installed. I dicided to partition the drive and install XP-Sp3 on the newly partitioned drive. Before I could load XP I had to change the configuration to IDE. Once I did that all went fine. Now in order to run betwwen OS's I have to set my configuration AHCI for W7 and IDE for XP.

Is there a better way of doing this beside alway re-configuring the bios for AHCI or IDE?

More about : changing ahci ide

a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2013 10:36:03 PM

there should be a registry key edit way when on the OS to switch from IDE to achi.
m
l
January 13, 2013 10:44:36 PM

I don't think so. XP won't load in AHCI because it isn't supported and Win & won't boot in IDE because it wasn't set that way when installed.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2013 10:53:54 PM

YOu could try and hook up one of the hard drives to a different controller if you have two.

Or you could try changing Win7 to use IDE in the registry, but I don't know if that will work, since everyone goes the other way with the registry entry. ie turning AHCI to on.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-enable-ahci-suppor...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2013 11:40:21 PM

rmonroe said:
I recently purchased a HP 8440p laptop with Windows 7 Pro. installed. I dicided to partition the drive and install XP-Sp3 on the newly partitioned drive. Before I could load XP I had to change the configuration to IDE. Once I did that all went fine. Now in order to run betwwen OS's I have to set my configuration AHCI for W7 and IDE for XP.

Is there a better way of doing this beside alway re-configuring the bios for AHCI or IDE?

I would go with the different controller port (assuming your motherboard has more than one :) ) and go from there. With it being a laptop though, all the ports may be in use by the existing drive and the CD/DVD possibly.

Even though you have the drive partitioned, it still will require the switch to be thrown before you'll get functionality out of your desired OS. Had you considered running XP inside of VirtualBox? It would relieve the headache of having to change the BIOS setting and you could essentially do the same thing you are wanting to do with the separate partition.
m
l
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
January 14, 2013 12:18:46 AM

rmonroe said:

You should be able to run Windows XP in AHCI mode once the appropriate Intel RST drivers are installed and the registry change is implemented. You should also be able to install it in AHCI mode if you provide the RST drivers at install time.
m
l
January 14, 2013 12:25:12 AM

Didn't work for me though. I tried that for about 2 hrs one day on a new install. Had the right drivers but it just wouldn't work. Was disappointed that I had to set my new SATA drives on IDE mode.
m
l
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
January 14, 2013 12:32:31 AM

jnkweaver said:
Didn't work for me though. I tried that for about 2 hrs one day on a new install. Had the right drivers but it just wouldn't work. Was disappointed that I had to set my new SATA drives on IDE mode.

Try reinstalling it in AHCI mode to begin with by providing the drivers manually using F6 at install time.

Alternatively you could just get with the times and run everything on Windows 7 or 8 like the rest of us.

If you have particular use cases that absolutely require you to use Windows XP without exception, use a virtual machine instead.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 14, 2013 2:12:39 AM

hedwar2011 said:
I would go with the different controller port (assuming your motherboard has more than one :) ) and go from there. With it being a laptop though, all the ports may be in use by the existing drive and the CD/DVD possibly.

Even though you have the drive partitioned, it still will require the switch to be thrown before you'll get functionality out of your desired OS. Had you considered running XP inside of VirtualBox? It would relieve the headache of having to change the BIOS setting and you could essentially do the same thing you are wanting to do with the separate partition.

eek, sorry that I missed the "laptop" part. It won't have the two controllers to do that with.
m
l
!