updating drivers for xp sp2

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with XP Home Edition that I bought about 3
months ago. I am starting to think about what I need to do to upgrade
to SP2. One recommended item is to upgrade all the drivers to the
latest versions.

Is there anyplace on the Dell site that will tell me what drivers I need
to upgrade for my specific computer? I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2
sound card and a 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card. I went to
the manufacturer sites, and was absolutely overwhelmed by the number of
different "flavors" of these devices, and even multiple upgrades for the
same device and flavor.

Microsoft Update keeps offering a video card upgrade, but I know better
than to upgrade from there, because on a previous computer, I took a
sound card upgrade from M$-- it was "poisoned", and not only killed all
the multimedia apps, but also made my sytem unstable.

Guidance or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Jim

"Jim Madsen" <nospam@anonymous.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with XP Home Edition that I bought about 3
>months ago. I am starting to think about what I need to do to upgrade to
>SP2. One recommended item is to upgrade all the drivers to the latest
>versions.
>
> Is there anyplace on the Dell site that will tell me what drivers I need
> to upgrade for my specific computer? I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2
> sound card and a 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card. I went to
> the manufacturer sites, and was absolutely overwhelmed by the number of
> different "flavors" of these devices, and even multiple upgrades for the
> same device and flavor.
>
> Microsoft Update keeps offering a video card upgrade, but I know better
> than to upgrade from there, because on a previous computer, I took a sound
> card upgrade from M$-- it was "poisoned", and not only killed all the
> multimedia apps, but also made my sytem unstable.
>
> Guidance or opinions would be very much appreciated.
>
> Jim

Download only the security/critical patches and service packs (after taking
appropriate back up / restore measures), and avoid the listed driver
updates.

No driver updates should be needed.

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:

> Download only the security/critical patches and service packs (after taking
> appropriate back up / restore measures), and avoid the listed driver
> updates.
>
> No driver updates should be needed.
>
> Stew

I have all the critical updates already--installation went very smoothly
(thank goodness). I did receive a Dell alert on a Radeon Mobile card
not being compatible with SP2 as of now (guess that's different than
what I have).

A three month old Dell computer doesn't have to worry about updating drivers
for SP 2.

Ted Zieglar

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:34:37 -0400, Ted Zieglar aka Rocky wrote:

> A three month old Dell computer doesn't have to worry about updating drivers
> for SP 2.

I've had my 8400 for a few weeks now and already had updated graphics
drivers come out from ATI.

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

That does not contradict what I posted.