RLDev Trivia Thread

How 'bout some RL/Dev related trivia? Rules;

RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
* Don't snip these rules
* The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
* If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q

Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
A: ** ******* **** * ***

--

Uzytkownik "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> How 'bout some RL/Dev related trivia? Rules;
>
> RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
> * Don't snip these rules
> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>
> Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
> A: ** ******* **** * ***
The last time I transfered 4GB in one second was yesterday, when I
gave my friend a freshly burned DVD; does that count?

regards,
Filip

ABCGi a écrit :
> How 'bout some RL/Dev related trivia? Rules;
>
> RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
> * Don't snip these rules
> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>
> Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
> A: ** ******* **** * ***

This is a 6GB file compressed in less than 5kB :
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pearpc/pearpc-6gib.img.bz2

Does that count ? :)

Filip Dreger wrote:
> Uzytkownik "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> napisal w wiadomosci
>
>>How 'bout some RL/Dev related trivia? Rules;
>>
>>RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>>* Don't snip these rules
>>* The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>>* If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>>
>>Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
>>A: ** ******* **** * ***
>
> The last time I transfered 4GB in one second was yesterday, when I
> gave my friend a freshly burned DVD; does that count?
>
> regards,
> Filip

Correct!

Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
A: by handing them a dvd

Your turn ;)

--

Christophe wrote:
> ABCGi a écrit :
>
>> How 'bout some RL/Dev related trivia? Rules;
>>
>> RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>> * Don't snip these rules
>> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>>
>> Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
>> A: ** ******* **** * ***
>
> This is a 6GB file compressed in less than 5kB :
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pearpc/pearpc-6gib.img.bz2
>
> Does that count ? :)

Wow - it should ;D
Started: 16/05/2005 7:21:40 PM
Finished: 16/05/2005 7:21:40 PM

--

>>> RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>>> * Don't snip these rules
>>> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>>> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>>>
>>> Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
>>> A: ** ******* **** * ***
>>
>> This is a 6GB file compressed in less than 5kB :
>> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pearpc/pearpc-6gib.img.bz2
>>
>> Does that count ? :)
>
> Wow - it should ;D

We have a fork! And an additional challenge: who can answer questions
on all the subthreads on the same time and make the thread single
again? (I have absolutely no idea for my question, BTW).

regards,
Filip

Filip Dreger wrote:
> Uzytkownik "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> napisal w wiadomosci

>>>This is a 6GB file compressed in less than 5kB :
>>>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pearpc/pearpc-6gib.img.bz2
>>>
>>>Does that count ? :)
>>
>>Wow - it should ;D
>
> We have a fork! And an additional challenge: who can answer questions

There is no spoon.

--
RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
* Don't snip these rules
* The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
* If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q

[...]
> RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
> * Don't snip these rules
> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
[...]

We all know that posting here pretty much means we're procrastinating with
our projects, but this is just a new level.

Truly.

Stop it :p

--Nolithius

Nolithius wrote:
> [...]
>
>>RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>>* Don't snip these rules
>>* The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>>* If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>
> [...]
>

> We all know that posting here pretty much means we're procrastinating with
> our projects, but this is just a new level.

Not true. Maybe I'm the only one, but I typically come here during
breaks between long coding sessions, as a way to wind down a bit. I
generally consider any activity performed during break time to most
definitely be useful, because without breaks you go crazy. Also, a
lot of people post for help, without which they can't work on their
projects. Maybe you're procrastinating by posting here, but I don't
think everyone shares the same opinion. ;-)

> Truly.

> Stop it :p

Oh, come on, let them have their fun (which seemed to have ended
already anyways...). Although, I'd like to mention that if they are
going to go ahead a do the trivia game, they really should add "[OT]"
to their posts. Even though it's pretty obvious from the thread's
name that it's offtopic, it still polite to mark it clearly as such.

--
SoulEaterRL... Coming soon!

http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

> See ABCGi? My previous thread, and this one, proves that people here
do
> niether have a sense of humour, nor do they have any feeling of
community...

Sense of humour tends to be absent when patience is wearing thin ;)

Nolithius wrote:
> [...]
>
>>RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>>* Don't snip these rules
>>* The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>>* If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>
> [...]
>

> We all know that posting here pretty much means we're procrastinating with
> our projects, but this is just a new level.

See ABCGi? My previous thread, and this one, proves that people here do
niether have a sense of humour, nor do they have any feeling of community...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
Carceri -- A prelude to GenRogue... Coming Soon

"Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
[...]
> See ABCGi? My previous thread, and this one, proves that people here do
> niether have a sense of humour, nor do they have any feeling of
community...
[...]

Well I wasn't entirely serious :p

--Nolithius

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Nolithius wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>>> RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>>> * Don't snip these rules
>>> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>>> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>>

>> [...]
>>

>> We all know that posting here pretty much means we're procrastinating
>> with
>> our projects, but this is just a new level.
>

> See ABCGi? My previous thread, and this one, proves that people here do
> niether have a sense of humour, nor do they have any feeling of
> community...

START COMM SEQUENCE
Sense of humor? What is this "humor" you speak of? It does not
compute. Please explain in a logical manner.
END COMM SEQUENCE

--

On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:56:45 +0200, "Filip Dreger" <fdreger@amiga.pl>
wrote:

>Uzytkownik "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> napisal w wiadomosci

>>> This is a 6GB file compressed in less than 5kB :
>>> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pearpc/pearpc-6gib.img.bz2
>>>
>>> Does that count ? :)
>>
>> Wow - it should ;D
>
>We have a fork! And an additional challenge: who can answer questions
>on all the subthreads on the same time and make the thread single
>again? (I have absolutely no idea for my question, BTW).

It's possible on phpBB, where threading is flat. Grab quotes from
individual sub-threads within the flat thread, plop them in one posting,
and answer the questions. (Although, quoting is optional.) This is
normally done by people maintaining something important...

It's more difficult in Usenet, but don't be surprised if it gets pulled off
in the Google interface where some users think it's a web-forum of some
sort.

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:07:19 +1000, ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Filip Dreger wrote:
>> Uzytkownik "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> napisal w wiadomosci
>>
>>>How 'bout some RL/Dev related trivia? Rules;
>>>
>>>RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>>>* Don't snip these rules
>>>* The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>>>* If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>>>
>>>Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
>>>A: ** ******* **** * ***
>>
>> The last time I transfered 4GB in one second was yesterday, when I
>> gave my friend a freshly burned DVD; does that count?
>>
>> regards,
>> Filip
>
>Correct!
>
>Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
>A: by handing them a dvd

A better method is to use a 20-40GB PockeTec hard drive. It's faster as
you don't have to wait for ejecting/inserting the disk. Even if there is
spin-up time involved, it's probably not as long or loud as standard DVD
players/readers.

Either that, or you include RH-06 as a valid method of data-transfer.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:38:59 GMT, "Nolithius" <Nolithius@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>[...]
>> RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>> * Don't snip these rules
>> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>[...]
>

>We all know that posting here pretty much means we're procrastinating with
>our projects, but this is just a new level.

Not really - while it may be possible to program for 6 hours a day, you
don't get much progress if you don't have some sort of plan or goal, or if
it involves massive tedious work of having to type in many related lines of
code that differ only by a small amount. (e.g. Upgrading SCthAngband's
option system to Angband-2.8.2 from the previous Angband-2.8.1
implementation.)

Even with WinMerge, this process is difficult. I've already been scanning
changes from 2.8.1 to 2.8.2, and been applying those same changes to
SCthAngband. Because of variant drift, there's been changes to some
underlying code that makes a direct port more difficult than it should be.

konijn_ wrote:
>>See ABCGi? My previous thread, and this one, proves that people here
>
> Sense of humour tends to be absent when patience is wearing thin ;)

True. But that only proves that some people here have a very thin
natural patience...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game --
vapourware." -- Anathiel about GenRogue

Timothy Pruett wrote:
> Nolithius wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>>> RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>>> * Don't snip these rules
>>> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>>> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> We all know that posting here pretty much means we're procrastinating
>> with
>> our projects, but this is just a new level.

I thought it a better use of a thread than the Twisted Test!

> Not true. Maybe I'm the only one, but I typically come here during
> breaks between long coding sessions, as a way to wind down a bit. I
> generally consider any activity performed during break time to most
> definitely be useful, because without breaks you go crazy. Also, a lot
> of people post for help, without which they can't work on their
> projects. Maybe you're procrastinating by posting here, but I don't
> think everyone shares the same opinion. ;-)

In my case I should be working :) Not playing RLs and reading rgrd...

>> Truly.

>> Stop it :p

The procrastinating or the posting? ;)

> Oh, come on, let them have their fun (which seemed to have ended already
> anyways...). Although, I'd like to mention that if they are going to go
> ahead a do the trivia game, they really should add "[OT]" to their
> posts. Even though it's pretty obvious from the thread's name that it's
> offtopic, it still polite to mark it clearly as such.

Hey its a RL/Dev trivia contest covering RogueLikes and/or Development -
I'd say that's on topic, was hoping to learn a thing or two...

There seems to be no questions in all of this so;

Q: What size tiles does H-World the Jungle use?
(Hajo and Sheep excluded!)

A: ?

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

ABCGi wrote:
> Timothy Pruett wrote:
>
>> Nolithius wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> We all know that posting here pretty much means we're procrastinating
>>> with
>>> our projects, but this is just a new level.
>

> I thought it a better use of a thread than the Twisted Test!
>
>> Not true. Maybe I'm the only one, but I typically come here during
>> breaks between long coding sessions, as a way to wind down a bit. I
>> generally consider any activity performed during break time to most
>> definitely be useful, because without breaks you go crazy. Also, a
>> lot of people post for help, without which they can't work on their
>> projects. Maybe you're procrastinating by posting here, but I don't
>> think everyone shares the same opinion. ;-)
>

> In my case I should be working :) Not playing RLs and reading rgrd...
>
>>> Truly.

>>> Stop it :p
>

> The procrastinating or the posting? ;)
>
>> Oh, come on, let them have their fun (which seemed to have ended
>> already anyways...). Although, I'd like to mention that if they are
>> going to go ahead a do the trivia game, they really should add "[OT]"
>> to their posts. Even though it's pretty obvious from the thread's
>> name that it's offtopic, it still polite to mark it clearly as such.
>

> Hey its a RL/Dev trivia contest covering RogueLikes and/or Development -
> I'd say that's on topic, was hoping to learn a thing or two...
>
> There seems to be no questions in all of this so;
>
> Q: What size tiles does H-World the Jungle use?
> (Hajo and Sheep excluded!)
>
> A: ?

128?
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"11 years and no binary. And it's not vapourware" -- Igor Savin

On Wed, 18 May 2005 00:52:15 +1000, ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Timothy Pruett wrote:
>> Nolithius wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> [...]
>> Oh, come on, let them have their fun (which seemed to have ended already
>> anyways...). Although, I'd like to mention that if they are going to go
>> ahead a do the trivia game, they really should add "[OT]" to their
>> posts. Even though it's pretty obvious from the thread's name that it's
>> offtopic, it still polite to mark it clearly as such.
>
>Hey its a RL/Dev trivia contest covering RogueLikes and/or Development -
>I'd say that's on topic, was hoping to learn a thing or two...

Actually, two of the questions posted are Off-topic and are deserving of
the [OT] tag. (Or at least they appear to be off-topic. )

>There seems to be no questions in all of this so;
>
>Q: What size tiles does H-World the Jungle use?
> (Hajo and Sheep excluded!)
>
>A: ?

This, on the other hand is valid. Can't answer it though...

My guess is 32x32.

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:07:19 +1000, ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote:
*SNIP*
>>Q: How do you transfer over 4GB in one second?
>>A: by handing them a dvd
>
> A better method is to use a 20-40GB PockeTec hard drive. It's faster as
> you don't have to wait for ejecting/inserting the disk. Even if there is
> spin-up time involved, it's probably not as long or loud as standard DVD
> players/readers.
>
> Either that, or you include RH-06 as a valid method of data-transfer.

Cool - I knew I'd learn something with this thread ;)

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk

*snagged count += 1*

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Nolithius wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>>> RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>>> * Don't snip these rules
>>> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>>> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> We all know that posting here pretty much means we're procrastinating
>> with
>> our projects, but this is just a new level.
>
> See ABCGi? My previous thread, and this one, proves that people here do
> niether have a sense of humour, nor do they have any feeling of
> community...

heh - war wounds,,, bit of shell shock,,, normal service
will resume shortly - we hope. I pass your test for some
time now :) And if excessive use of smileys is any guide,
I have a sense of humour!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Powder - Shuruppak - TheTombs

RLDEV TRIVIA THREAD
>>> * Don't snip these rules
>>> * The person guessing correctly first asks the next trivia
>>> * If unanswered for a while start giving clues or ask another Q

Q: What size tiles does H-World the Jungle use?
(Hajo and Sheep excluded!)

A: 128 * 96 ???

--
Slash

ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> See ABCGi? My previous thread, and this one, proves that people here
>> do niether have a sense of humour, nor do they have any feeling of
>> community...
>

> heh - war wounds,,, bit of shell shock,,, normal service
> will resume shortly - we hope. I pass your test for some
> time now :) And if excessive use of smileys is any guide,
> I have a sense of humour!

Yes, you passed both ;-)

*Sigh*, I'm getting tired of this, ABCGi. I always considered this
group my home. My primary place for things I do... Now I'm getting sick
of it. And all thanks to a bunch of ... ah, whatever. I think I'm taking
a vacation from rl-dev :-/
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"It's much easier to make an army of dumb good people than to
make one single smart good guy..." -- DarkGod

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> I think I'm taking a vacation from rl-dev :-/

Please don't go -- the drones need you! They look up to you!

(If you're puzzled... Google -- and full-phrase search -- is your
friend. ;-) )

Erik