[ANNOUNCE] Castlevania RL: Prelude v1.0a

Last response: in Video Games
May 19, 2005 9:35:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.announce (More info?)

Hello All!

Announcing the next version of CastlevaniRL: Prelude!

CastlevaniaRL is a roguelike game of survival, you are a member of the
Belmont family which has arrived to the Castle of Count Dracula to
fulfill your fate and bring and end to his reign of blood; as you enter
the castle, lots of monsters are summoned in all directions, and using
your holy Vampire Killer and the sacred weapons, you must survive long
enough to enter the castle.

This is a game of combat strategy, in order to win you must get to know
the attack patterns of the enemies as well as their abilities. You must
make use of your weapons if you want to survive in the castle
courtyard.

CastlevaniaRL: Prelude, is my entry for the 7DRL programming
initiative; it was not quite what I had planned (didn't have enough
time to work on it).

Main Features

* Based in Castlevania I: You don't have any of the nifty stats of the
latter castlevanias, the combat is simple as you will always hit the
enemies if they are in range and they will always take a number of
hits to be taken down, thus spatial tactics are very important

* Every enemy has its own way of attacking, adding diversity to the
gameplay.

* All the classic castlevania weapons, which have a cost in hearts to
be used.

* Lunch-time game: You play this game for a small moment of pleasure,
no embarking into the big epic adventure (..for now)

What's new on v 1.0a

* Fixed a critical bug that made the game impossible to win
* Added graphical effects for all weapons

Downloads and further info at:
http://peltkore.net/~szdev/crl

--
Slash
Anonymous

ABCGi ha escrito:
> ABCGi wrote:
> > SZDev - Slash wrote:
> >
> >> Hello All!
> >>
> >> Announcing the next version of CastlevaniRL: Prelude!
> >
> > *SNIP*
> >
> >> Downloads and further info at:
> >> http://peltkore.net/~szdev/crl
> >>
> >> --
> >> Slash
> >
> > She's got lots of classes!

She??? ;)

> > Thanks for the game - will try it later.
>
> Worked fine on XP, had no clue how to fight!
>
> Nice prelude... these are the things that came
> up as problems for me first (since this is early
> alpha these can not be seen as criticism, just
> priorities for your TODO list :)  ;

Nice! some feedback! :D

> There is no in game help "?" for key bindings.
> I didn't read the front screen initially. F1
> not work either.
ok

> "q" quits without confirmation :(

ok

> A "l"ook command is needed.
ok

> "W"hiping is clumsy, does not need to be a
> capital for starters! Correction lower case
> w works too... not documented.

What alternative do you see to use the whip, being it a ranged
attack???

> Why does it say WEAPON: No Weapon when I have
> a whip? Which is my heart counter?

Because you haven't pick one of the weapons (Dagger, Axe, Holy Water,
Cross or Stopwatch), the whip is the weapon you always have so it isn't
shown up there.

The heart counter is the 'v -' thing under 'Stage'

> A "you can't move there message" is needed.

ok

> Perhaps highlight monsters that made an action
> last turn (bold?) so I can tell *which* skeleton
> threw a bone at me.

Well, I think that will be easier to figure once I have made monster
action graphical effects :D  (next version)

> PLAYER - should say HEALTH - ?

Well, the game tries to mimic the UI of the original Castlevania :p

See : http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/cv1.htm

> I take it the random moving around of my PC is
> from being hit with bones? It is not very obvious.

Well, I think it is explained in the readme file, you are pushed back
when you are hit by an enemy (just like Castlevania ;)  )

> Anyway I got thrown into the blue pool and then
> was trapped and could not move.

That's the kind of bug you know about but for some reason never fix :D

> I would prefer the game restart when I die - not
> quit.

ok

> Needs a high score table.

ok, and by the way, my high score is 8800 :D

> You could use the left and right portion of screen
> for keybindings or some various changing atmospheric
> text. Maybe a little scrolling story - ok that is
> getting a bit left field :)

good idea!

> Interesting display, wide screen with stats in
> top left and right and top - kinda arcadey -
> I like it.

Yeah, as I said before, it imitates the CV1 NES display

> Stable - runs fast and does not crash on my
> box. Go Java!!! :>) I'm using the latest Sun JRE.

:)

> Very colourful and bright, sometimes I have trouble
> keeping track of all the monsters!

perhaps I must make the terrain darker for the monster to be highlit?

> Shows promise - keep up the good work. Adding
> music and sound from the original (ala DoomRL)
> would add to the atmosphere... actually probably
> quite a few good lessons from DoomRL for the
> CoffeTimeRL (TM) ! :)

I will try to make it more complete better before trying to add music
and sound; thanks for the comments! :)

--
Slash
http://peltkore.net/~szdev

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Announcing the next version of CastlevaniRL: Prelude!

<SNIP>

Hello, I played it on my Mac Mini and found it a bit too slow.
Also, the screen is wider than my display ( 800 pixels ), which
kind of makes it hard to see what is happening.

I like the font ! Where did you find it ? How is the licensing on it ?

I found the game play confusing, but that's just because I didnt read
the readme.txt yet, I will wait until I am on my pc with a larger
resolution.

Cheers,
T.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:07:30 PM

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Announcing the next version of CastlevaniRL: Prelude!
*SNIP*
> Downloads and further info at:
> http://peltkore.net/~szdev/crl
>
> --
> Slash

She's got lots of classes!

Thanks for the game - will try it later.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Powder - Shuruppak - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:43:05 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
>
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Announcing the next version of CastlevaniRL: Prelude!
>
> *SNIP*
>
>> Downloads and further info at:
>> http://peltkore.net/~szdev/crl
>>
>> --
>> Slash
>
> She's got lots of classes!
>
> Thanks for the game - will try it later.

Worked fine on XP, had no clue how to fight!

Nice prelude... these are the things that came
up as problems for me first (since this is early
alpha these can not be seen as criticism, just
priorities for your TODO list :)  ;

There is no in game help "?" for key bindings.
I didn't read the front screen initially. F1
not work either.

"q" quits without confirmation :(

A "l"ook command is needed.

"W"hiping is clumsy, does not need to be a
capital for starters! Correction lower case
w works too... not documented.

Why does it say WEAPON: No Weapon when I have
a whip? Which is my heart counter?

A "you can't move there message" is needed.

Perhaps highlight monsters that made an action
last turn (bold?) so I can tell *which* skeleton
threw a bone at me.

PLAYER - should say HEALTH - ?

I take it the random moving around of my PC is
from being hit with bones? It is not very obvious.
Anyway I got thrown into the blue pool and then
was trapped and could not move.

I would prefer the game restart when I die - not
quit.

Needs a high score table.

You could use the left and right portion of screen
for keybindings or some various changing atmospheric
text. Maybe a little scrolling story - ok that is
getting a bit left field :)

Interesting display, wide screen with stats in
top left and right and top - kinda arcadey -
I like it.

Stable - runs fast and does not crash on my
box. Go Java!!! :>) I'm using the latest Sun JRE.

Very colourful and bright, sometimes I have trouble
keeping track of all the monsters!

Shows promise - keep up the good work. Adding
music and sound from the original (ala DoomRL)
would add to the atmosphere... actually probably
quite a few good lessons from DoomRL for the
CoffeTimeRL (TM) ! :)

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Powder - CastlevaniaRL - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:34:06 PM

konijn_ ha escrito:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > Announcing the next version of CastlevaniRL: Prelude!
> >
> <SNIP>
>
> Hello, I played it on my Mac Mini and found it a bit too slow.

mmm... wonder if its something with Mac JDK?

> Also, the screen is wider than my display ( 800 pixels ), which
> kind of makes it hard to see what is happening.

Will be fixed

> I like the font ! Where did you find it ? How is the licensing on it
?

The font is Lucida Console, I think its pretty common on windows
machines.... dunno about the license

> I found the game play confusing, but that's just because I didnt read
> the readme.txt yet, I will wait until I am on my pc with a larger
> resolution.

Ok :)

--
Slash
Anonymous

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> ABCGi ha escrito:
*SNIP*

*SNIP*
>>"W"hiping is clumsy, does not need to be a
>>capital for starters! Correction lower case
>>w works too... not documented.
>
> What alternative do you see to use the whip, being it a ranged
> attack???

True - I think I was more thinking I had to hit
shift each time but I didn't.

>>Why does it say WEAPON: No Weapon when I have
>>a whip? Which is my heart counter?
>
> Because you haven't pick one of the weapons (Dagger, Axe, Holy Water,
> Cross or Stopwatch), the whip is the weapon you always have so it isn't
> shown up there.

Hmmm a little confusing initially but ok.

> The heart counter is the 'v -' thing under 'Stage'

v for vitality?

>>A "you can't move there message" is needed.
>
> ok
>
>>Perhaps highlight monsters that made an action
>>last turn (bold?) so I can tell *which* skeleton
>>threw a bone at me.
>
> Well, I think that will be easier to figure once I have made monster
> action graphical effects :D  (next version)

That too :)

>>PLAYER - should say HEALTH - ?
>
> Well, the game tries to mimic the UI of the original Castlevania :p
>
> See : http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/cv1.htm

Good point.

>>I take it the random moving around of my PC is
>>from being hit with bones? It is not very obvious.
>
> Well, I think it is explained in the readme file, you are pushed back
> when you are hit by an enemy (just like Castlevania ;)  )

Yeah but at the start with all those enemies I just look
like I'm teleporting wildly! Perhaps a message saying
"You are knocked back x3" or something.

>>Anyway I got thrown into the blue pool and then
>>was trapped and could not move.
>
> That's the kind of bug you know about but for some reason never fix :D

yep ;)

>>I would prefer the game restart when I die - not
>>quit.
>
> ok
>
>>Needs a high score table.
>
> ok, and by the way, my high score is 8800 :D

Yeah that's the one thing I noticed in the doco before
I got bored and started playing :)

>>You could use the left and right portion of screen
>>for keybindings or some various changing atmospheric
>>text. Maybe a little scrolling story - ok that is
>>getting a bit left field :)
>
> good idea!
>
>>Interesting display, wide screen with stats in
>>top left and right and top - kinda arcadey -
>>I like it.
>
> Yeah, as I said before, it imitates the CV1 NES display
>
>>Stable - runs fast and does not crash on my
>>box. Go Java!!! :>) I'm using the latest Sun JRE.
>
> :)
>
>>Very colourful and bright, sometimes I have trouble
>>keeping track of all the monsters!
>
> perhaps I must make the terrain darker for the monster to be highlit?

Yeah or something.

>>Shows promise - keep up the good work. Adding
>>music and sound from the original (ala DoomRL)
>>would add to the atmosphere... actually probably
>>quite a few good lessons from DoomRL for the
>>CoffeTimeRL (TM) ! :)
>
> I will try to make it more complete better before trying to add music
> and sound; thanks for the comments! :)

No problem - thanks for the game.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!
DoomRL - DwellerMobile - HWorld - AburaTan - DiabloRL
Heroic Adventure - Powder - CastlevaniaRL - TheTombs
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:59:16 PM

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> Downloads and further info at:
> http://peltkore.net/~szdev/crl

Too bad I don't have Java RTL ;-(
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> SZDev - Slash wrote:
>
>> Downloads and further info at:
>> http://peltkore.net/~szdev/crl
>
> Too bad I don't have Java RTL ;-(

You mean you have no Java runtime? That's *weird*.

May 24, 2005 7:20:23 AM

Twisted One wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> SZDev - Slash wrote:
>>> Downloads and further info at:
>>> http://peltkore.net/~szdev/crl
>>
>> Too bad I don't have Java RTL ;-(
>
> You mean you have no Java runtime? That's *weird*.

No, not wierd ;-). I never had any true reason to install JRE since my
last system upgrade (I made my Java classes before that)...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"From what I've read, a lot of people believe that GenRogue
exists and will be released some day" -- Arxenia Xentrophore
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 7:20:24 AM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
>> You mean you have no Java runtime? That's *weird*.
>
> No, not wierd ;-).

You're right -- it's not wierd. It's *weird*!

;)

May 24, 2005 9:29:18 AM

Kornel Kisielewicz ha escrito:
> Twisted One wrote:
> > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> >>
> >> Too bad I don't have Java RTL ;-(
> >
> > You mean you have no Java runtime? That's *weird*.
>
> No, not wierd ;-). I never had any true reason to install JRE since
my
> last system upgrade (I made my Java classes before that)...

Perhaps this is a true reason now??? ;p

Anyway, you never know when you will have to run some classes! better
to keep the runtime at hand...
> --
> At your service,
> Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
> "From what I've read, a lot of people believe that GenRogue
> exists and will be released some day" -- Arxenia Xentrophore
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:09:52 PM

SZDev - Slash wrote:
> Perhaps this is a true reason now??? ;p

I would even install .NET if YASD/YAVP's from a given game start to show
up on RGRD -- that's my breaking point.

  • > Anyway, you never know when you will have to run some classes! better
    > to keep the runtime at hand...

    I never know when I will have to run some dotSHIT! better
    to keep the .NET runtime at hand... or not? ;-)

  • Ok, I was kiddin' - I wouldn't install .NET, Twisted One.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
    "It must be excellent code -- Mistress Compiler would not have
    it any other way." -- Twisted One
    Anonymous
    May 27, 2005 7:56:47 AM

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > I would even install .NET if YASD/YAVP's from a given game start to show
    > up on RGRD -- that's my breaking point.

  • *gasp!*

  • Ok, I was kiddin' - I wouldn't install .NET, Twisted One.

    Oh.

    Don't worry. If you did, I wouldn't punish you.

    I'd pity you.