Portable/location independent key commands?

I was just wanting to know if there are any keys or key combinations I
should *not* use due to them being different (scan codes, ASCII codes,
etc) in different regions or on different platforms.

Is CTRL-A always CTRL-A? That sort of thing. BTW, I'm using a regular
US keyboard (I know that the Windows key and menu key aren't universal,
but other than that).

Sorry if it's an odd question.

Dnia Sat, 21 May 2005 10:04:21 GMT,
J. W. McCall napisal(a):

> I was just wanting to know if there are any keys or key combinations I
> should *not* use due to them being different (scan codes, ASCII codes,
> etc) in different regions or on different platforms.

Well, numpad and arrow keys have different scancodes on almost every
platform. Same with insert, home, etc.

There are some problems with del and backspace on some terminals.

Don't expect to have more than 4 function keys (F1-F4).

And, offcourse, there's whole new set of problems with `national
keyboards' -- I've heard some lack easy access to characters
like '{', '[', '#', ''', '`', '|'. People who use them will probably
know better.

I can't say anything about Polish keyboard, because 99% of us already use
something called 'polish programmer's' keyaboard, which is normal
US Keyboard with the national characters accessed using meta key
(so, it's probably unwise to use meta-letter combinations in a game).

The escape key produces annoying delays on most remote terminals.

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! The quest for the Real World:
`The Sheep' ('') 3 Try #1: cd /..

The Sheep <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Well, numpad and arrow keys have different scancodes on almost every
> platform. Same with insert, home, etc.

Not to mention that you can't even be sure that numpad or arrow keys
exist at all. Not having a numpad is the reason that I can't play a
number of roguelikes.

--
Jim Strathmeyer

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> The Sheep <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>
>>Well, numpad and arrow keys have different scancodes on almost every
>>platform. Same with insert, home, etc.
>

> Not to mention that you can't even be sure that numpad or arrow keys
> exist at all. Not having a numpad is the reason that I can't play a
> number of roguelikes.

So what option do I have? vi style cursor keys?

J. W. McCall <jmccall@houston.rr.com> wrote:
> So what option do I have? vi style cursor keys?

Yes, but they don't have to be the default, just available.

--
Jim Strathmeyer

Dnia Sat, 21 May 2005 22:33:49 GMT,
J. W. McCall napisal(a):

> Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
>> The Sheep <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>>>Well, numpad and arrow keys have different scancodes on almost every
>>>platform. Same with insert, home, etc.
>> Not to mention that you can't even be sure that numpad or arrow keys
>> exist at all. Not having a numpad is the reason that I can't play a
>> number of roguelikes.
> So what option do I have? vi style cursor keys?

Think. Maybe you come up with something better.
It's always good to have something better :)

I wound't mind a new, totally revolutional approach to roguelike
game controls, if it proved good.

Those 30 years of development cound't bring the best options possible.
Simply because it's tied by inheritance and expectations.

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! The quest for the Real World:
`The Sheep' ('') 3 Try #2: goto -1

J. W. McCall wrote:
> Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
>
>> The Sheep <sheep@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, numpad and arrow keys have different scancodes on almost every
>>> platform. Same with insert, home, etc.
>>

>> Not to mention that you can't even be sure that numpad or arrow keys
>> exist at all. Not having a numpad is the reason that I can't play a
>> number of roguelikes.
>>

> So what option do I have? vi style cursor keys?

*.ini file with Keybindings. DoomRL/DiabloRL (generaly Valkyrie) style
-- no one ever made a bad remark because of the keys ;-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]