Presario F700 shuts down with laptop movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

xandrew46

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Presario F700 Windows 7 ultimate shuts down with laptop movement. Sounds like a loose connection/bad switch. Thoughts?

Solution
If the machine completely powers off, it could be several things. A switch doesn't sound likely though. If the battery has a full charge, and it just "shuts off" when moved, i'd look for either a loose internal connection or a bad motherboard (cold solder or broken trace). If the battery doesn't hold a charge, and it turns off when moved, i'd first check the DC power jack. They tend to break, and if the power is interrupted for even a split second, and your battery is bad, the laptop will power off. It will take some time to pinpoint.
G

May just be the screen connector -- or can you hear the hard drive turn off ? Test by connecting an external monitor.

mavroxur

Distinguished
If the machine completely powers off, it could be several things. A switch doesn't sound likely though. If the battery has a full charge, and it just "shuts off" when moved, i'd look for either a loose internal connection or a bad motherboard (cold solder or broken trace). If the battery doesn't hold a charge, and it turns off when moved, i'd first check the DC power jack. They tend to break, and if the power is interrupted for even a split second, and your battery is bad, the laptop will power off. It will take some time to pinpoint.

Solution

xandrew46

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
May just be the screen connector -- or can you hear the hard drive turn off ? Test by connecting an external monitor.

Don't think it's the screen connector. It powers down completely with movement, and also, when operational, the cursor jumps around with movement. I fear it is a motherboard issue. Thanks

xandrew46

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Battery is fine. I think I have isolated the problem to the motherboard. Just before I received this laptop, it took a fall. I think that damaged the mb. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.