Incompatability with AMD Cpu's ? Show me

G

I posted something similar a while back
and I never got a response

Well i saw another post today and read some posts and Fugger
mentioned AMD not compatable with a few things

I am interested ( Very Intersted ) in trying some software out and seeing it crash on me because i have an AMD processor.

Im very curious to what i cannot run.

Please let me know

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Some games will make use of the SSE instruction set to compute additional lighting calculations on objects in the 3D world. The objects are brighter and more colorful for low lighting condition. The RTS games "Earth 2150", and the sequel "The Moon Project" has alternating day/night cycles as a feature. For non-SSE enabled system, it will forgo performing the additional lighting calculation, which leads to dull cold dark colored looking objects for low lighting conditions. It will run just fine on AMD system without crashing, but I'd wouldn't be as happy with the graphics.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Have you seen the game run on an AMD system, or are you just guessing?

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I dont think it's the processer itself. It's the damn chipsets that are a bug. I get the same errors at times with my P3V4X as my A7V.

On my CUSL2 I rarely get a freeze or hangup. I've never even had to update my Bios or download the latest mobo drivers.

<i>If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.</i>

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm playing E2150 on my Tbird/Radeon... it is my understanding that since my card supports Hardware T&L and that directx supports it as well, the CPU doesn't do the lighting calculations itself in the first place...

regardless, the graphics look very purty on my machine:)
I haven't seen the game on P3, so I can't really say... but if I were to make an educated guess, I would say that graphic card and the monitor will make SO much more of a difference in the quality of picture, that comparing the effect of CPU is -impossible- unless the same monitor & Graphic card are used:(

G

Hmm

almost 70 views
and not one from Fugger or Meltdown
geee

Why not?

Come on Blue Men, tell me

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMDMeltdown is busy shooting himself in the foot with his illiteracy in another post.

/Athlon-1.2GHz@1370MHz(137MHz*10)/Asus_A7V133/

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Your CPU will run anything fine.. remember.. all a CPU does is add or subtract numbers.. if it doesn't have SSE instructions it'll simply execute more instructions to make up for it.. people don't realize that things like MMX, SSE/2 and 3DNow! are just "macro" calls that do the same thing as two or three other instructions would do.

Anyway, _IF_ there are any incompatibilities it will reside with your chipset not your CPU. Fugger and AMDMeltdown don't seem to realize that.

Cheers

cutepunk

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
It has more to do with chipset, not the CPU.
But I've heard some complicated calculation programs don't run on AMD machines... Even on Intel machines, I've heard that there are some programs that only run on Intel CPU+Intel Motherboard systems... oh well..

ATI RAGE FURY MAXX has a big trouble with AMD/VIA chipsets.. I'm a AMD760 user, and I tried to install my MAXX... I just couldn't do it.. crashes every 5 minutes, freezes on the first test of 3DMARK2000... sometimes just blacks out. It runs fine on my i820 machine.
ATA100 hard drives... It's almost impossible to install w2k. It does finish the install process, but in few days, I got "Fatal Hard Error" blue screen. After a few formats, I gave up. I think it has to do with VIA686B southbridge.

G

The Fury MAXX Crashes on many Intel chipsets too, like several of the Apollo Pro's.

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better. ~

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This will make FUGGER and AmdMeltdown happy. I know of one incompatibility with AMD CPUs. It is a program called BPM Studio, that will not work with AMD CPUs because of the external cache. The only way to make it work is to disable the cache in BIOS. But, new TBird/Durons have internal cache, but the program still does not work on my computer (Duron). I just found this out a couple days ago. Anyway, I suggest other people with AMD CPUs to go to www.bpmstudio.com and download the demo to see if it works on their computers, as it may be comething else about my computer that doesn't like it.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I only know of one. Some stupid crap 56k modem, supra or something. FUGGER is always wailing away about it.

-----------------
"All alone in his own little world"

G

It runs 100% fine on my duron

want a screenshot?

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I have a Diamond 56k modem, and the driver CD says supra on it. It works just fine on my new 1.33GHz. Is this the same modem you are talking about?

"It Works!"

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Funny how I haven't seen FUGGER or AmdMeltdown posting here. Especially as AmdMeltdown's gone hog-wild recently, leaving droppings in a lot of other threads.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
The AMD processors are incompatible with Fugger and Amdmeltdown. Oh, and they are incompatible with skateboards and spoons. I can't get them to work with orgami or donuts either.

Oh well...

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Diamond Supramax 56. Works fine with my TBird.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm really interrested too. I personnally own an Athlon system, and any of the software I installed on it behaved strangely. I would like to see some examples. The only incompability's I heard of is hardware with certains chipsets. And very often they are adressed with updates. I think that some Pro Intel here are really misinformed here. And some will tell that with Intel we dont need those chipset drivers, it's completely false, they are just included with the OS.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
cutepunk that must something else in your configuration causiing the problem 'cause i am running an asus a7v with a maxtor ata100 HDD and windows 2k. been running fine crunching seti packets for three weeks. only three weeks because i just re-nstalled out of boredom.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Now, can you actually play music on it? Cuz on mine it loads up fine, but if you try and play something it repeats the sound and locks up. I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well there is no AMD incompatability. This incompatability
is could 3 letters V-I-A thats all. Get rid of V-I-A the world is a better place.

Check out my RIG <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rcf84/home.html" target="_new">Rcf84's celeron machine</A>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, the website specifically mentiond problems with AMD chips, in specific their external cache (but like I said before new AMD chips no longer have external cache so i wonder if there is still an issue with them).