Not very RL-related, about Civ IV

I've glanced this on a preview about Civilization IV:

As with some of the previous games, a lot of the data is easily changed
from a text file. But now Firaxis is using Python (an accessible
scripting language) to do everything from the interface to random map
algorithms. They'll even be releasing the source code. "It's way beyond
anything we've ever done before," he says.

tongHoAnh <anh.tong@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've glanced this on a preview about Civilization IV:

Civ 3 still isn't playable on current hardware for large games. I hope
Civ 4 i.

--
Jim Strathmeyer

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> Glen Wheeler <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:
> > Huh? I play Civ3 conquests with several friends with max computer
> > opponents often. Our hardware is never an issue. The game is
> > inefficient, but it is not important on modetn hardware.
>
> > Definitely fits ``playable''...
>
> Hmm... well, I have to give up most games near the end because the AI
> takes more than a minute for each turn. I haven't tried for years. I
> definitely play on the biggest possible map with max opponents.
>
> Not trying to unnecessarily bash a great game. Guess my experience is
> just different.
>
> Hardware can never keep up with inefficient algorithms.
>
> Also, reminds me of Shandalar, which was an awesome bug filled game
> (even after being patched five times) than only ran on Win98 and near
> the end game the computer would take a few minutes to take a turn.

??
You can download Shandalar and it runs on win2k fine.
And with modern hardware it even runs quite well, too bad the graphics
look badly outdated.

T.

konijn_ <konijn@gmail.com> wrote:

> ??
> You can download Shandalar and it runs on win2k fine.
> And with modern hardware it even runs quite well, too bad the graphics
> look badly outdated.

Where can you download it? Does it still crash all the time?

--
Jim Strathmeyer

tongHoAnh a écrit :
> I've glanced this on a preview about Civilization IV:
>
> As with some of the previous games, a lot of the data is easily changed
> from a text file. But now Firaxis is using Python (an accessible
> scripting language) to do everything from the interface to random map
> algorithms. They'll even be releasing the source code. "It's way beyond
> anything we've ever done before," he says.

Good. Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated! :)

"Jim Strathmeyer" <strathWHATEVERIGETENOUGHSPAMANYWAYS@ipass.net> wrote in
message news:mu6dnWSW6OVOrA7fRVn-sg@adelphia.com...
> tongHoAnh <anh.tong@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've glanced this on a preview about Civilization IV:
>
> Civ 3 still isn't playable on current hardware for large games. I hope
> Civ 4 i.

Huh? I play Civ3 conquests with several friends with max computer
opponents often. Our hardware is never an issue. The game is inefficient,
but it is not important on modetn hardware.

Definitely fits ``playable''...

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> konijn_ <konijn@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>??
>>You can download Shandalar and it runs on win2k fine.
>>And with modern hardware it even runs quite well, too bad the graphics
>>look badly outdated.
>

> Where can you download it? Does it still crash all the time?

If you by Shandalar mean Magic the Gathering: Shandalar you can download
it and many other good old classics from The Underdogs:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1550

/Björn

Bj?rn Bergstr?m <bjorn.bergstrom@roguelikedevelopment.org> wrote:
> If you by Shandalar mean Magic the Gathering: Shandalar you can download
> it and many other good old classics from The Underdogs:

> http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1550

Sorry, just did a quick web search, didn't think to check underdogs.

Looks like I'm going to be scrounging up old computer parts and putting
together a WinXP box tonight. There goes my week. I'll have to give
Master of Magic a try, too. Though I have an absolute love for many
games new and old, I'm still looking for another game like Nethack,
which I will actually get random urges to play (especially when
frustrated by a bad game.)

--
Jim Strathmeyer

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> Hardware can never keep up with inefficient algorithms.

Actually, both tend to scale exponentially. (Moore's law, and NP-hard
algorithms.)

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> Bj?rn Bergstr?m <bjorn.bergstrom@roguelikedevelopment.org> wrote:
>
>>If you by Shandalar mean Magic the Gathering: Shandalar you can download
>>it and many other good old classics from The Underdogs:
>
>>http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1550
>
> Sorry, just did a quick web search, didn't think to check underdogs.

Underdogs isn't indexed by Google? That's damned odd. Do they hate
seeing their hit counters spinning that much?

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> Though I have an absolute love for many
> games new and old, I'm still looking for another game like Nethack,
> which I will actually get random urges to play (especially when
> frustrated by a bad game.)

It could be worse. You could be like me, and when you get random urges
they're for *Crawl*!