H-World project revival

I have made an announcement on my blog about the H-World project
revival - lets see how long I last :) When I get my changes done
to improve modding who here would might be interested in doing a
quick 1DRL/3DRL/7DRL module contest for it?

H-World project revived - http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/blog/
-----------------------
The H-World project has been revived. Hajo has had it on
sourceforge for a while now and recent discussions on rgrd
(rec.games.roguelike.development) has peaked my interest.
The main motivation is to improve its moddability and remove
impediments to using the engine to creating RL/RPG games.

The Beyond H-World module will also be worked on (it was broken
by the 0.4.x changes to the engine) but now with the source code
on sourceforge I am working on the code as well each weekend (some
*me* time!). The first change I think will be to add a module
selection screen when H-World.exe is started up. The second might
be a windows installer.

I have already added a "simple" module to CVS which is a basic 2D
RL on which new modders can build their own game. It and the
"beyond" module both need work and are not in the current 0.4.3.1
distribution yet - you can download and play the "default" module
(The Jungle) and the "hspace" module (H-World.exe -game hspace)
currently, all quite fun and fully working. Remember to extract
both the base package and your specific platform package
(Windows/Linux) to the same directory.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...

ABCGi wrote:
> I will try to fix what I've identified as mod-unfriendly

If the current data formats are kept (which I think is reasonable)
then there should be detailed txt-files to explain them. I had to
browse through data files to find some of the info, but didn't find
any docs about lvl-files. There should be also some kind of overview
about all the data files, what they do and how they are connected.

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> I know the lack of documentation is a problem, but the Wiki already
> contains a lot of information.

That looks quite nice! I'll definetly try to tinker some kind of
module for H-World. ZeldaRL? Who knows:)

Krice wrote::
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>>I will try to fix what I've identified as mod-unfriendly
>

> If the current data formats are kept (which I think is reasonable)
> then there should be detailed txt-files to explain them. I had to
> browse through data files to find some of the info, but didn't find
> any docs about lvl-files. There should be also some kind of overview
> about all the data files, what they do and how they are connected.

I tried to write some lines about the files:

http://h-world.simugraph.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Hw.DataFiles
http://h-world.simugraph.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Hw.LevelTemplates

I know the lack of documentation is a problem, but the Wiki already
contains a lot of information.

--
c.u. Hajo

"ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have made an announcement on my blog about the H-World project
> revival - lets see how long I last :) When I get my changes done
> to improve modding who here would might be interested in doing a
> quick 1DRL/3DRL/7DRL module contest for it?
> [..]

Sign me up for a 24 hour RL in a few weeks, say late June?

I've always been curious as to how the H-World engine plays. Don't really
have any nifty ideas for a tiny RL, but it should be fun regardless.

Go ABCGi :).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have made an announcement on my blog about the H-World project
>>revival - lets see how long I last :) When I get my changes done
>>to improve modding who here would might be interested in doing a
>>quick 1DRL/3DRL/7DRL module contest for it?
>>[..]
>
> Sign me up for a 24 hour RL in a few weeks, say late June?
>
> I've always been curious as to how the H-World engine plays. Don't really
> have any nifty ideas for a tiny RL, but it should be fun regardless.
>
> Go ABCGi :).

Thanks mate.

I will try to fix what I've identified as mod-unfriendly and
then feedback from you and others for further improvements
after the 1DRL on July 1 (ok? gives me some time) will be
invaluable!

--

ABCGi wrote:
> Glen Wheeler wrote:
>> Go ABCGi :).

Go, go, go! ;-)

> Thanks mate.
>
> I will try to fix what I've identified as mod-unfriendly and
> then feedback from you and others for further improvements
> after the 1DRL on July 1 (ok? gives me some time) will be
> invaluable!

And I just got hooked into Lua. Poor me...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Krice wrote:
> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>
>>I know the lack of documentation is a problem, but the Wiki already
>>contains a lot of information.
>
> That looks quite nice! I'll definetly try to tinker some kind of
> module for H-World. ZeldaRL? Who knows:)

Great. Your feedback makes me think adding that documentation
from the web into the program, or at least links to it within
the program - might be a good idea. Thanks for going to the
effort.

I am toying with the idea of a "mod mode" which allows you to
play the game but adds additional functionality and some basic
debugging features (basically unhiding some buttons that do things
like that when in mod mode). Mod mode would also allow cheating
since you would be able to view/change some values.

So far the todo list for me is;

* Module selector on startup
* Windows installer
* Add extra modding doco to game and/or links
* Mod mode toggle in-game

There are other mod-friendly changes I can think of but they
haven't made their way onto the todo list :)

--

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> Krice wrote::
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>> I will try to fix what I've identified as mod-unfriendly
>>
>> If the current data formats are kept (which I think is reasonable)
>> then there should be detailed txt-files to explain them. I had to
>> browse through data files to find some of the info, but didn't find
>> any docs about lvl-files. There should be also some kind of overview
>> about all the data files, what they do and how they are connected.
>
> I tried to write some lines about the files:
>
> http://h-world.simugraph.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Hw.DataFiles
> http://h-world.simugraph.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Hw.LevelTemplates
>
> I know the lack of documentation is a problem, but the Wiki already
> contains a lot of information.

There is also quite a lot of useful stuff to do with modding on
the H-World homepage doco (although not as up to date as the wiki) ;

http://h-world.simugraph.com/docs.html

--

> Krice wrote:
>> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>>
>>>I know the lack of documentation is a problem, but the Wiki already
>>>contains a lot of information.
>>
>> That looks quite nice! I'll definetly try to tinker some kind of
>> module for H-World. ZeldaRL? Who knows:)
>
> Great. Your feedback makes me think adding that documentation
> from the web into the program, or at least links to it within
> the program - might be a good idea. Thanks for going to the
> effort.
>
> I am toying with the idea of a "mod mode" which allows you to
> play the game but adds additional functionality and some basic
> debugging features (basically unhiding some buttons that do things
> like that when in mod mode). Mod mode would also allow cheating
> since you would be able to view/change some values.
> [..]

Sounds great! A ``mod mode'' would be invaluable, at least IMO. Hmmm, 24
hours is really short...yes, definitely, please add a mod mode :D.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Krice wrote:

>>>That looks quite nice! I'll definetly try to tinker some kind of
>>>module for H-World. ZeldaRL? Who knows:)
>>
>>Great. Your feedback makes me think adding that documentation
>>from the web into the program, or at least links to it within
>>the program - might be a good idea. Thanks for going to the
>>effort.
>>
>>I am toying with the idea of a "mod mode" which allows you to
>>play the game but adds additional functionality and some basic
>>debugging features (basically unhiding some buttons that do things
>>like that when in mod mode). Mod mode would also allow cheating
>>since you would be able to view/change some values.
>>[..]
>
> Sounds great! A ``mod mode'' would be invaluable, at least IMO. Hmmm, 24
> hours is really short...yes, definitely, please add a mod mode :D.

I'm thinking people have 48 hours to do 24 hours worth of work
on it? That way they don't have to work all night!!!

--

ABCGi wrote:
> I have made an announcement on my blog about the H-World project
> revival - lets see how long I last :) When I get my changes done
> to improve modding who here would might be interested in doing a
> quick 1DRL/3DRL/7DRL module contest for it?
>
> H-World project revived - http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/blog/
> -----------------------
> The H-World project has been revived. Hajo has had it on
> sourceforge for a while now and recent discussions on rgrd
> (rec.games.roguelike.development) has peaked my interest.
> The main motivation is to improve its moddability and remove
> impediments to using the engine to creating RL/RPG games.
>
> The Beyond H-World module will also be worked on (it was broken
> by the 0.4.x changes to the engine) but now with the source code
> on sourceforge I am working on the code as well each weekend (some
> *me* time!). The first change I think will be to add a module
> selection screen when H-World.exe is started up. The second might
> be a windows installer.
>
> I have already added a "simple" module to CVS which is a basic 2D
> RL on which new modders can build their own game. It and the
> "beyond" module both need work and are not in the current 0.4.3.1
> distribution yet - you can download and play the "default" module
> (The Jungle) and the "hspace" module (H-World.exe -game hspace)
> currently, all quite fun and fully working. Remember to extract
> both the base package and your specific platform package
> (Windows/Linux) to the same directory.

Have some interest in modding and/or a 1DRL H-World mod contest
from at least four people (Glen Wheeler, Kornel, Krice and me).
Hajo will be around on the ng to answer mine and others modding
questions etc. And the other H-World team member Sheep is around
too. All sounds promising.

If we had pirate ships even R.Dan.Henry would be interested! :)

I'm thinking the weekend after 1 July where ppl have 24 hours
over the entire weekend to write a module for H-World would be
good for the 1DRL... is that good for ppl?

--

ABCGi wrote::

> Have some interest in modding and/or a 1DRL H-World mod contest
> from at least four people (Glen Wheeler, Kornel, Krice and me).
> Hajo will be around on the ng to answer mine and others modding
> questions etc. And the other H-World team member Sheep is around
> too. All sounds promising.
>
> If we had pirate ships even R.Dan.Henry would be interested! :)
>
> I'm thinking the weekend after 1 July where ppl have 24 hours
> over the entire weekend to write a module for H-World would be
> good for the 1DRL... is that good for ppl?

I can't read write news on weekends usually, actually very often I'm
away from keyboard on weekends, so even if there is a technical solution
found, I still could now read or write :)

That'll make it difficult to answer questions.

Maybe you can schedule a preparation time before the contest when
participants can look up the APIs and file syntax and ask their questions?

--
c.u. Hajo

Dnia Tue, 31 May 2005 22:27:43 +1000,
ABCGi napisal(a):

> ABCGi wrote:
>> I have already added a "simple" module to CVS which is a basic 2D
>> RL on which new modders can build their own game. It and the
>> "beyond" module both need work and are not in the current 0.4.3.1
>> distribution yet - you can download and play the "default" module
>> (The Jungle) and the "hspace" module (H-World.exe -game hspace)
>> currently, all quite fun and fully working. Remember to extract
>> both the base package and your specific platform package
>> (Windows/Linux) to the same directory.

> Have some interest in modding and/or a 1DRL H-World mod contest
> from at least four people (Glen Wheeler, Kornel, Krice and me).
> Hajo will be around on the ng to answer mine and others modding
> questions etc. And the other H-World team member Sheep is around
> too. All sounds promising.

I'm not sure I'll have any time to spare :(
It's getting pretty tight in here.

--
Radomir 'The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_ Bee!
(^^) 3

> Glen Wheeler wrote:
>> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Great. Your feedback makes me think adding that documentation
>>>from the web into the program, or at least links to it within
>>>the program - might be a good idea. Thanks for going to the
>>>effort.
>>>
>>>I am toying with the idea of a "mod mode" which allows you to
>>>play the game but adds additional functionality and some basic
>>>debugging features (basically unhiding some buttons that do things
>>>like that when in mod mode). Mod mode would also allow cheating
>>>since you would be able to view/change some values.
>>>[..]
>>
>> Sounds great! A ``mod mode'' would be invaluable, at least IMO. Hmmm,
>> 24 hours is really short...yes, definitely, please add a mod mode :D.
>
> I'm thinking people have 48 hours to do 24 hours worth of work
> on it? That way they don't have to work all night!!!

Well...I guess that may be a little less destructive to my relationship
with my girlfriend, who is not so roguelike-friendly (in fact, she gets
quite jealous).

Then again, it may be quite fun to work on it into the early hours...hrm,
well, I guess we will see :). I'm trying not to think about it so that it
can be a ``true'' 24hr RL, even to the point of trying to forget how to code
in Lua. Should be a good test of the H-World engine.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

> ABCGi wrote:
>> I have made an announcement on my blog about the H-World project
>> revival - lets see how long I last :) When I get my changes done
>> to improve modding who here would might be interested in doing a
>> quick 1DRL/3DRL/7DRL module contest for it?
>>
>> H-World project revived - http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/blog/
>> -----------------------
>> The H-World project has been revived. Hajo has had it on
>> sourceforge for a while now and recent discussions on rgrd
>> (rec.games.roguelike.development) has peaked my interest.
>> The main motivation is to improve its moddability and remove
>> impediments to using the engine to creating RL/RPG games.
>>
>> The Beyond H-World module will also be worked on (it was broken
>> by the 0.4.x changes to the engine) but now with the source code
>> on sourceforge I am working on the code as well each weekend (some
>> *me* time!). The first change I think will be to add a module
>> selection screen when H-World.exe is started up. The second might
>> be a windows installer.
>>
>> I have already added a "simple" module to CVS which is a basic 2D
>> RL on which new modders can build their own game. It and the
>> "beyond" module both need work and are not in the current 0.4.3.1
>> distribution yet - you can download and play the "default" module
>> (The Jungle) and the "hspace" module (H-World.exe -game hspace)
>> currently, all quite fun and fully working. Remember to extract
>> both the base package and your specific platform package
>> (Windows/Linux) to the same directory.
>
> Have some interest in modding and/or a 1DRL H-World mod contest
> from at least four people (Glen Wheeler, Kornel, Krice and me).
> Hajo will be around on the ng to answer mine and others modding
> questions etc. And the other H-World team member Sheep is around
> too. All sounds promising.
>
> If we had pirate ships even R.Dan.Henry would be interested! :)
>
> I'm thinking the weekend after 1 July where ppl have 24 hours
> over the entire weekend to write a module for H-World would be
> good for the 1DRL... is that good for ppl?

To change the tone of our ready replies, this is fine with me. Any time
during June should be great. Although, I'm nowhere near as important as the
advisors :).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
> ABCGi wrote::
>
>> Have some interest in modding and/or a 1DRL H-World mod contest
>> from at least four people (Glen Wheeler, Kornel, Krice and me).
>> Hajo will be around on the ng to answer mine and others modding
>> questions etc. And the other H-World team member Sheep is around
>> too. All sounds promising.
>>
>> If we had pirate ships even R.Dan.Henry would be interested! :)
>>
>> I'm thinking the weekend after 1 July where ppl have 24 hours
>> over the entire weekend to write a module for H-World would be
>> good for the 1DRL... is that good for ppl?
>
> I can't read write news on weekends usually, actually very often I'm
> away from keyboard on weekends, so even if there is a technical solution
> found, I still could now read or write :)
>
> That'll make it difficult to answer questions.
>
> Maybe you can schedule a preparation time before the contest when
> participants can look up the APIs and file syntax and ask their questions?

Well Glen would like June, I just assumed ppl like weekends but,
how about it starts June 27 and goes through to the weekend in
July and people can start at any time in that period via an
announcement here... and can spend a total of 24 hours modding
time before the finish!

They can ask questions during the week and finish it off on the
w/end. A 1DRL spread over 7 days :) ????

--

ABCGi wrote:
> Have some interest in modding and/or a 1DRL H-World mod contest
> from at least four people (Glen Wheeler, Kornel, Krice and me).

I'm not interested about 1DRL or 7DRL or whatever contests:)
I'm (slowly) designing characters and the story, and only after
that I will begin the actual making of the game. Writing the
story is such fun, and I never knew how much:)

Krice wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>>Have some interest in modding and/or a 1DRL H-World mod contest
>>from at least four people (Glen Wheeler, Kornel, Krice and me).
>
> I'm not interested about 1DRL or 7DRL or whatever contests:)
> I'm (slowly) designing characters and the story, and only after
> that I will begin the actual making of the game. Writing the
> story is such fun, and I never knew how much:)

You'd be the or of the and/or then :) Sounds cool. Let us know
how you go.

--

> Krice wrote:
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>>Have some interest in modding and/or a 1DRL H-World mod contest
>>>from at least four people (Glen Wheeler, Kornel, Krice and me).
>>
>> I'm not interested about 1DRL or 7DRL or whatever contests:)
>> I'm (slowly) designing characters and the story, and only after
>> that I will begin the actual making of the game. Writing the
>> story is such fun, and I never knew how much:)
>
> You'd be the or of the and/or then :) Sounds cool. Let us know
> how you go.

I, on the other hand, will be making the most superficial roguelike in the
history of text terminals. Hoping for a consistent world with little to no
plot and arcade combat making up most of the gameplay.

One quick, perhaps strange question: can H-World make someone have no
inventory (yet be able to interact with items from the floor)?

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote::

> One quick, perhaps strange question: can H-World make someone have no
> inventory (yet be able to interact with items from the floor)?

In "The Jungle" module you need items like a backpack or belt to have an
inventory. Without them you have no inbentory, but still the paper doo
to wear equipment. Still you can define a body that is nbot able to wear
equipment.

I guess this come close to your "no inventory" request.

OTOH in the past there have been crashes on certain actions if the
player had no item with an inventory at all. I'm not sure if all of
these have been fixed.

IIRC some actions can't be done on the floor, like mixing potions.

--
c.u. Hajo

Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Krice wrote:

>>>I'm not interested about 1DRL or 7DRL or whatever contests:)
>>>I'm (slowly) designing characters and the story, and only after
>>>that I will begin the actual making of the game. Writing the
>>>story is such fun, and I never knew how much:)
>>
>>You'd be the or of the and/or then :) Sounds cool. Let us know
>>how you go.
>
> I, on the other hand, will be making the most superficial roguelike in the
> history of text terminals. Hoping for a consistent world with little to no
> plot and arcade combat making up most of the gameplay.
>
> One quick, perhaps strange question: can H-World make someone have no
> inventory (yet be able to interact with items from the floor)?

Intriguing - yes it can do that. You would make a NPC/PC not
allowed to carry a backpack and have no limbs with inventory
slots or just make those slots so small that they can't fit
any items in them.

The PC should still be able to trade and drag objects from
the ground - just s/he would have nowhere to put the object :)

--

> Glen Wheeler wrote:
>> "ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>You'd be the or of the and/or then :) Sounds cool. Let us know
>>>how you go.
>>
>> I, on the other hand, will be making the most superficial roguelike in
>> the history of text terminals. Hoping for a consistent world with little
>> to no plot and arcade combat making up most of the gameplay.
>>
>> One quick, perhaps strange question: can H-World make someone have no
>> inventory (yet be able to interact with items from the floor)?
>
> Intriguing - yes it can do that. You would make a NPC/PC not
> allowed to carry a backpack and have no limbs with inventory
> slots or just make those slots so small that they can't fit
> any items in them.
>
> The PC should still be able to trade and drag objects from
> the ground - just s/he would have nowhere to put the object :)

Cool, but my main question was: can they still *use* items from the
floor? Like quaffing potions and zapping wands? Or do they have to be in
the ``hand'' slot? I'm not requesting any feature here, just trying to
perform some breif reconnaisance ;).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:
*SNIP*
> Cool, but my main question was: can they still *use* items from the
> floor? Like quaffing potions and zapping wands? Or do they have to be in
> the ``hand'' slot? I'm not requesting any feature here, just trying to
> perform some breif reconnaisance ;).

I believe so yes, you might have to do some scripting to get it
exactly how you like. But the inventory screen includes a ground
box which displays items on the ground (same for contents of
chests). You can then operate on these items while they are still
in the chest and also (I think) while they are on the ground.

The easiest way to check is to play The Jungle a bit and then
check the script that matches the action you just took.

Anyway Hajo might be reading this and have a better answer :)

--

On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:48:00 +1000, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au>
wrote:

>"ABCGi" <abcgi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> I'm thinking people have 48 hours to do 24 hours worth of work
>> on it? That way they don't have to work all night!!!

> Well...I guess that may be a little less destructive to my relationship
>with my girlfriend, who is not so roguelike-friendly (in fact, she gets
>quite jealous).

But just think, if you destroyed your relationship with your
girlfriend, you'd have more time for roguelikes!

--
R. Dan Henry = danhenry@inreach.com
Dance, Puppet, dance!