Bizzare moments in development

This could be not very RL related, but I think it worth a topic title.

The aim for this topic is for RL developers to share moments where
their implements worked out in unexpected, banana ways.

Here goes mine, copied directly from another post of mine in other
forum earlier today:

I'm still cleaning up the stuff, try to optimize as far as I could.
Trying to write an actual AI and here goes:

I intended to make a simple AI that make the rats group up and run
after the player as they see him.

The first time I compile and run, the game crashed because some rats
tried to run out of the map.

The second time I compile, the game run smoothly, I walked around till
I see 3 rats stick together. I thought "Here goes". Then...

"The rat misses the rat. The rat moderately injures the rat."

"The rat kills the rat." (3 rats became 2)

My jaws hung open.

Later, I learned that instead of team up and chase the player, the rats
run away from the player and beat the s**t out of each others. Good AI,
good AI :(

tongHoAnh wrote:
> "The rat misses the rat. The rat moderately injures the rat."
> "The rat kills the rat." (3 rats became 2)

That somewhat common I guess.. I was surprised when I tried to open
a chest with a key.. The chest turned to dust, which was something
I had programmed in the game, but didn't realize it until I tried it.
I was not expecting it to turn to dust just by using the key:)

tongHoAnh wrote:
> This could be not very RL related, but I think it worth a topic title.
>
> The aim for this topic is for RL developers to share moments where
> their implements worked out in unexpected, banana ways.

This is the RGRD equivalent of YAFM.

On 30 May 2005 01:48:53 -0700, "tongHoAnh" <anh.tong@gmail.com> wrote:

>This could be not very RL related, but I think it worth a topic title.
>
>The aim for this topic is for RL developers to share moments where
>their implements worked out in unexpected, banana ways.

The best I could come up with was this gem from last year's "wrap around
maps" thread:
"You dig a hole in the sky. You climb upwards. Welcome to dungeon level
99."
--
auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
*****

My favourite goof when programming GearHead happened right after I
added throwing weapons. I went into a cave, and all the rats there
started throwing their limbs at me. Soon I was standing in a pile of
dismembered body parts. It turns out that the code which was supposed
to check whether or not a weapon could be thrown was broken.

- Joseph Hewitt.

Joe Hewitt wrote:

> My favourite goof when programming GearHead happened right after I
> added throwing weapons. I went into a cave, and all the rats there
> started throwing their limbs at me. Soon I was standing in a pile of
> dismembered body parts. It turns out that the code which was supposed
> to check whether or not a weapon could be thrown was broken.

Leave the code be that way :D I now have some serious reason to play
GearHead.

Nevermind

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

tongHoAnh писал(а):
> The aim for this topic is for RL developers to share moments where
> their implements worked out in unexpected, banana ways.

I had a funny moment when first implementing the code for changing
levels. Somehow I forgot to remove the reference to PC from the level,
when leaving it... so, I descend the stairs, then come back and see
another me right beside!
Cloning in action...

Same in Tyrant,
the former self would not kick back,
a cheesy way to get double equipment ;)

T.

konijn_ wrote:
> Same in Tyrant,
> the former self would not kick back,
> a cheesy way to get double equipment ;)

I got a similar report from a player of Dweller. The Jellies, which has
the ability to clone themselves, used the clone ability when attacking
the player and thus created a clone of the player! As opposed to the
clone mentioned above this one fought back!

I forgot to limit magic effects in melee to include only offensive magic...

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]

> The Jellies, which has the ability to clone themselves,
> used the clone ability when attacking the player and
> thus created a clone of the player! As opposed to the
> clone mentioned above this one fought back!

Doesn't sound like a bug to me. Sounds like a jelly-clone of the
player.
"The jelly clones itself!"
"The jelly clone mutates!"
"The jelly clone of you attacks..."
heh.

Björn Bergström wrote:
> konijn_ wrote:
>
>> Same in Tyrant,
>> the former self would not kick back,
>> a cheesy way to get double equipment ;)
>
> I got a similar report from a player of Dweller. The Jellies, which has
> the ability to clone themselves, used the clone ability when attacking
> the player and thus created a clone of the player! As opposed to the
> clone mentioned above this one fought back!
>
> I forgot to limit magic effects in melee to include only offensive magic...

Also when you use the clone spell on yourself you get the
same XP for killing your clone as the XP you currently have!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...