Chess roguelike

Last response: in Video Games
May 30, 2005 10:59:30 PM

I've been attempting to write a roguelike for a while now, and a
couple of months ago realised that I was working in entirely the wrong
language (Perl). It's okay for most of it, and it's been worth doing,
since I've learnt a bit about how not to write maintainable Perl, but
the interpreter is just far too slow to do everything I want, and -
Perl being Perl - the code was starting to get too messy.

So, I decided to start again, and take advantage of the opportunity to
change some of my bad code-design decisions now that I know what the
game is roughly going to be like.

To get back in practice, and get a bit more experience of a new
language, though, I decided to take the Chess roguelike idea that was
posted here a while back and see if I could put one together.

I'd also been wanting to try an nDRL challenge for a while to break my
habit of not releasing anything. With a nice long 3-day weekend, it
wasn't as hard as I'd expected to get a playable game, which has
certainly made me a lot happier about starting on something bigger.

So: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.tar.gz is a 3DRL
(Currently only a Linux binary - I'll see if I can get a Cygwin binary
put together for windows when I have a bit more time)

Things that I decided were too much effort to implement in the time
available:
- Items
- Character classes
- LOS/FOV
- Any of the nice ideas from the chess roguelike thread. Oh well.
- Save/Load (but it's really not a very long game)
Having the time pressure certainly makes design decisions interesting...

--
Chris

More about : chess roguelike

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:43:19 PM

Hey,

Haven't had a chance to play this game yet given I'm at work at the moment,
but downloaded it for later anyway, and having taken a quick look, just
have to ask what language it was written in? Not often i look at some
source code and have absolutely no idea what language it is I'm looking
at... :)
Looks like somewhere between java, pascal and C.

Daniel
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:43:20 PM

Daniel Andersen <news@zedar.org> writes:
> Haven't had a chance to play this game yet given I'm at work at the moment,
> but downloaded it for later anyway, and having taken a quick look, just
> have to ask what language it was written in? Not often i look at some
> source code and have absolutely no idea what language it is I'm looking
> at... :)

I knew I'd missed something. As you figured out - how, incidentally? -
Kaya.

> Looks like somewhere between java, pascal and C.

The ideal roguelike development language? ;)

--
Chris
Anonymous

Chris Morris wrote:

> I knew I'd missed something. As you figured out - how, incidentally? -
> Kaya.

Well, speaking for myself only, I acted on a hunch. The file extensions
are all .k. Most languages have a "hello world" tutorial, so I googled
for "hello.k".

And... there it is, sixth hit down. :-)

sherm--

May 31, 2005 6:38:39 PM

Sherm Pendley wrote:

> Daniel Andersen wrote:
>
>> but downloaded it for later anyway, and having taken a quick look, just
>> have to ask what language it was written in?
>
> Looks like it's Kaya:
>
> <http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/kaya/index.php&gt;
>
> sherm--

Yeah worked that out myself after a long period of research (grinding the
development department in my office to a halt as we all went searching,
curiosity was killing me ;)

Daniel
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:10:27 PM

Chris Morris wrote:
> I've been attempting to write a roguelike for a while now, and a
> couple of months ago realised that I was working in entirely the wrong
> language (Perl). It's okay for most of it, and it's been worth doing,
> since I've learnt a bit about how not to write maintainable Perl, but
> the interpreter is just far too slow to do everything I want, and -
> Perl being Perl - the code was starting to get too messy.

Use the best tool for the job. Perl's really best used for small
projects.

> So, I decided to start again, and take advantage of the opportunity to
> change some of my bad code-design decisions now that I know what the
> game is roughly going to be like.

Always a good idea.

> To get back in practice, and get a bit more experience of a new
> language, though, I decided to take the Chess roguelike idea that was
> posted here a while back and see if I could put one together.
>
> I'd also been wanting to try an nDRL challenge for a while to break my
> habit of not releasing anything. With a nice long 3-day weekend, it
> wasn't as hard as I'd expected to get a playable game, which has
> certainly made me a lot happier about starting on something bigger.

Impressive. A three day limit is pretty tight.

> So: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.tar.gz is a 3DRL
> (Currently only a Linux binary - I'll see if I can get a Cygwin binary
> put together for windows when I have a bit more time)
>
> Things that I decided were too much effort to implement in the time
> available:
> - Items
> - Character classes
> - LOS/FOV
> - Any of the nice ideas from the chess roguelike thread. Oh well.
> - Save/Load (but it's really not a very long game)
> Having the time pressure certainly makes design decisions interesting...

I'd recommend against adding any of those in the future. The game, as
it is now, is very fun. Chances are, adding any of the above would
just serve to add unneeded complexity to the game, and would be a bit
of a turnoff. Your implementation is pretty close to the ideal.

I definitely like the ease of use. All I had to do was extract it to
a folder, and run the binary. Very nice. I did have a dependancy
error at first, from libgc, but, that's not your fault. I really
should have had libgc already installed.

Anyways, the initial learning curve was a bit awkward, and almost made
me quit right away. It seemed somewhat impossible at first to capture
any pawns. Eventually, however, right before frustration _really_ set
in, I discovered the trick, and managed to advance. I typically
_hate_ vi keys, but, with the handy little display, it wasn't actually
too bad. In fact, I just might use this game as a little vi-keys
trainer, so that, after a few hours of this, I might be able to
finally play and tolerate Nethack!

As a quick note, you really should allow the arrow keys to handle
movement. For us people with a laptop, it's kind of nice. And, since
movement in the beginning is restricted to 4-way movement anyway,
well, it'd be a nice touch.

My only real complaint/suggestion, is that the level layout could be
improved a bit. When I finally advanced to the stage where Bishops
start appearing, I found them to be painfully easy, since both of them
were trapped in corridors, preventing them from moving at all. Easy
kills.

Well, overall, a fun little coffebreak game. Keep it up!

And now, back to fighting those damn Rooks. ;-)

--
Read more about my three projects, SoulEaterRL,
Necropolis, and a little toy RL.

http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

June 1, 2005 1:25:09 PM

Chris Morris wrote:

> Daniel Andersen <news@zedar.org> writes:
>> Haven't had a chance to play this game yet given I'm at work at the
>> moment, but downloaded it for later anyway, and having taken a quick
>> look, just have to ask what language it was written in? Not often i look
>> at some source code and have absolutely no idea what language it is I'm
>> looking at... :)
>
> I knew I'd missed something. As you figured out - how, incidentally? -
> Kaya.
>
>> Looks like somewhere between java, pascal and C.
>
> The ideal roguelike development language? ;)

I spend a long time looking on google for languages starting with K, and
finding none that seemed to match the code supplied. Eventually in
desperation I opened up the binary in vi and found the string "kaya"
popping up in some of the function names etc, and from there it was easy :)
Looks like an interesting language, seems to take a lot of the nicer parts
of a few others I like.
As far as the ideal roguelike language I couldn't really say, being neither
an expert in Kaya or in roguelike development :)

Daniel
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:47:54 PM

Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> writes:
> Use the best tool for the job. Perl's really best used for small
> projects.

Absolutely.

> > So: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.tar.gz is a 3DRL
> > (Currently only a Linux binary - I'll see if I can get a Cygwin binary
> > put together for windows when I have a bit more time)
> > Things that I decided were too much effort to implement in the time
> > available:
> > - Items
> > - Character classes
> > - LOS/FOV
> > - Any of the nice ideas from the chess roguelike thread. Oh well.
> > - Save/Load (but it's really not a very long game)
> > Having the time pressure certainly makes design decisions interesting...
>
> I'd recommend against adding any of those in the future. The game, as
> it is now, is very fun. Chances are, adding any of the above would
> just serve to add unneeded complexity to the game, and would be a bit
> of a turnoff. Your implementation is pretty close to the ideal.

Thanks!

> Anyways, the initial learning curve was a bit awkward, and almost made
> me quit right away. It seemed somewhat impossible at first to capture
> any pawns. Eventually, however, right before frustration _really_ set
> in, I discovered the trick, and managed to advance. I typically

Yes. It is an interesting (and unintentional) little puzzle (took me a
while to figure it out, too), but I suspect that it needs a slightly
better hint in the manual as to how to solve it. The third tip in
README is a partial hint but it probably needs another one. Any ideas
for a tip that doesn't completely give it away?

> _hate_ vi keys, but, with the handy little display, it wasn't actually
> too bad. In fact, I just might use this game as a little vi-keys
> trainer, so that, after a few hours of this, I might be able to
> finally play and tolerate Nethack!

I'm not a great fan of VI keys either, normally, but being able to
easily capitalise them for 'two-space move' makes them useful for this
game. Capitalising a num-pad is a bit awkward.

> As a quick note, you really should allow the arrow keys to handle
> movement. For us people with a laptop, it's kind of nice. And, since
> movement in the beginning is restricted to 4-way movement anyway,
> well, it'd be a nice touch.

Yes. If/when I go back and do a second version then I'd add that.

> My only real complaint/suggestion, is that the level layout could be
> improved a bit. When I finally advanced to the stage where Bishops
> start appearing, I found them to be painfully easy, since both of them
> were trapped in corridors, preventing them from moving at all. Easy
> kills.

It's *supposed* to only generate Bishops in the rooms where they have
a bit of space. It doesn't work, though, and I didn't have time to fix
it. Having a couple stuck and immobile not only lets you pick off a
few early on, but also means that you can use them later on to help
trap rooks or queens.

The other flaw in the level generator is that the sometimes long
initial corridors before you reach the rooms can make rooks
unavoidably deadly.

> And now, back to fighting those damn Rooks. ;-)

You're doing better than I do, then. Outside cheating to higher
levels, I haven't yet got past the first Knight level.

--
Chris
Anonymous

Chris Morris wrote:
> Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> writes:
>>Anyways, the initial learning curve was a bit awkward, and almost made
>>me quit right away. It seemed somewhat impossible at first to capture
>>any pawns. Eventually, however, right before frustration _really_ set
>>in, I discovered the trick, and managed to advance. I typically
>

> Yes. It is an interesting (and unintentional) little puzzle (took me a
> while to figure it out, too), but I suspect that it needs a slightly
> better hint in the manual as to how to solve it. The third tip in
> README is a partial hint but it probably needs another one. Any ideas
> for a tip that doesn't completely give it away?

Hmm... Maybe put the tip about how an enemy must move if able in ALL
CAPS, then repeat it two or three times? ;-)

Anyways, even though I can handle the pawns now, I still have only a
50% success rate on the first level, since a bad level layout can make
pawn killing _really_ hard. I'm sure a better player could do it with
no problem, but I can't really get those initial pawns killed without
a sufficiently long corridor.

>>_hate_ vi keys, but, with the handy little display, it wasn't actually
>>too bad. In fact, I just might use this game as a little vi-keys
>>trainer, so that, after a few hours of this, I might be able to
>>finally play and tolerate Nethack!
>

> I'm not a great fan of VI keys either, normally, but being able to
> easily capitalise them for 'two-space move' makes them useful for this
> game. Capitalising a num-pad is a bit awkward.

Yeah, that would make it quite the sound design decision. Have you
considered alternative keyboard keys for movement? Not a criticism,
but there's a key setup I use occassionally when games allow it, and I
make use of the keys "qweasdzxc" for 8-way movement, since they're
already arranged in a numpad-like setup. Sort of like taking the
shooter game default of "wasd", and expanding it to include the other
keys around it. I always found it to be really intuitive this way,
since the keys somewhat correspond to the direction you try and move in.

>>As a quick note, you really should allow the arrow keys to handle
>>movement. For us people with a laptop, it's kind of nice. And, since
>>movement in the beginning is restricted to 4-way movement anyway,
>>well, it'd be a nice touch.
>

> Yes. If/when I go back and do a second version then I'd add that.

Great. :-)

>>My only real complaint/suggestion, is that the level layout could be
>>improved a bit. When I finally advanced to the stage where Bishops
>>start appearing, I found them to be painfully easy, since both of them
>>were trapped in corridors, preventing them from moving at all. Easy
>>kills.
>

> It's *supposed* to only generate Bishops in the rooms where they have
> a bit of space. It doesn't work, though, and I didn't have time to fix
> it. Having a couple stuck and immobile not only lets you pick off a
> few early on, but also means that you can use them later on to help
> trap rooks or queens.

Yeah, it's saved my ass a few times, but I can occassionally use a row
of pawns to the same effect. The first time I stepped on the Bishop
level, though, I laughed my ass off, to find one stuck in a corridor,
and one stuck right in the middle of an intersection.

> The other flaw in the level generator is that the sometimes long
> initial corridors before you reach the rooms can make rooks
> unavoidably deadly.

I got screwed bad with that once

>>And now, back to fighting those damn Rooks. ;-)
>

> You're doing better than I do, then. Outside cheating to higher
> levels, I haven't yet got past the first Knight level.

Ugh, the Knights. I'm not even sure they're _meant_ to be killable.
I killed one, once, but only due to extreme luck, caused by a massive
flood of pawns, and a very stupid knight, who dived in the middle of
them, and couldn't get out with stepping by me. Other than that one
lucky go, I always have to tiptoe carefully around knights, try and
kill the other pieces I can get to, and get out.

I sort of look at knights as the game's "Grim Reaper". A near
unkillable, pain in the ass hunter. It sort of provides a nice
challenge, though, not that the game is lacking in challenge. ;-)

--
Read more about my three projects, SoulEaterRL,
Necropolis, and a little toy RL.

http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

June 1, 2005 8:40:13 PM

Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> writes:
> Hmm... Maybe put the tip about how an enemy must move if able in ALL
> CAPS, then repeat it two or three times? ;-)

*grin*

> Anyways, even though I can handle the pawns now, I still have only a
> 50% success rate on the first level, since a bad level layout can make
> pawn killing _really_ hard. I'm sure a better player could do it with
> no problem, but I can't really get those initial pawns killed without
> a sufficiently long corridor.

You need about four or five squares of corridor and a bit of patience,
I find. Unless you get a mass of them blocking you in on both sides
right from the start, you can usually use their habit of retreating if
approached to get to a corridor of sufficient length (I can - though I
don't recommend it as a strategy - get through levels 1 and 2 without
killing anything).

If you end up with
=====
@.P.. then waiting a few turns usually gets them into a situation where
==P.. you can advance.
=...

> Yeah, that would make it quite the sound design decision. Have you
> considered alternative keyboard keys for movement? Not a criticism,
> but there's a key setup I use occassionally when games allow it, and I
> make use of the keys "qweasdzxc" for 8-way movement, since they're
> already arranged in a numpad-like setup. Sort of like taking the

I know... I use those keys (apart from 's') later on for when you gain
the knights' powers.

> >>And now, back to fighting those damn Rooks. ;-)
> > You're doing better than I do, then. Outside cheating to higher
> > levels, I haven't yet got past the first Knight level.
>
> Ugh, the Knights. I'm not even sure they're _meant_ to be killable. I
> killed one, once, but only due to extreme luck, caused by a massive
> flood of pawns, and a very stupid knight, who dived in the middle of
> them, and couldn't get out with stepping by me. Other than that one
> lucky go, I always have to tiptoe carefully around knights, try and
> kill the other pieces I can get to, and get out.

I originally put them in before the bishops, but then realised that
they were in fact almost invincible unless you'd got the first bishop
power (and then they're fairly straightforward if you can drive or
lure them into open space). So that ordering got swapped...

> I sort of look at knights as the game's "Grim Reaper". A near
> unkillable, pain in the ass hunter. It sort of provides a nice
> challenge, though, not that the game is lacking in challenge. ;-)

One of them is usually okay. It's when two trap you in a corridor from
the adjacent corridor you have to watch out...

--
Chris
Anonymous

Timothy Pruett wrote:
> Chris Morris wrote:
>
>> Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> writes:
*SNIP*
>>> And now, back to fighting those damn Rooks. ;-)
>>
>> You're doing better than I do, then. Outside cheating to higher
>> levels, I haven't yet got past the first Knight level.
>
> Ugh, the Knights. I'm not even sure they're _meant_ to be killable. I
> killed one, once, but only due to extreme luck, caused by a massive
> flood of pawns, and a very stupid knight, who dived in the middle of
> them, and couldn't get out with stepping by me. Other than that one
> lucky go, I always have to tiptoe carefully around knights, try and kill
> the other pieces I can get to, and get out.
>
> I sort of look at knights as the game's "Grim Reaper". A near
> unkillable, pain in the ass hunter. It sort of provides a nice
> challenge, though, not that the game is lacking in challenge. ;-)

This sounds sweet - did I remember reading only on Linux?
No Windows? :(

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...

ABCGi wrote:
> Timothy Pruett wrote:
> This sounds sweet - did I remember reading only on Linux?
> No Windows? :(

Yeah, someone should come up with a windows binary by now :-(. Ah, it's
closed source.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> writes:
> ABCGi wrote:
> > This sounds sweet - did I remember reading only on Linux?
> > No Windows? :(
>
> Yeah, someone should come up with a windows binary by now :-(. Ah,
> it's closed source.

It's open source - it's in the tar.gz file. Getting the compiler
working on windows is still a minor challenge, admittedly.

Anyway, http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.zip is the windows
binary. Tested on Win XP only, but might work elsewhere too.

--
Chris
Anonymous

Chris Morris wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> writes:
>
>>ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>>This sounds sweet - did I remember reading only on Linux?
>>>No Windows? :(
>>
>>Yeah, someone should come up with a windows binary by now :-(. Ah,
>>it's closed source.
>
> It's open source - it's in the tar.gz file. Getting the compiler
> working on windows is still a minor challenge, admittedly.
>
> Anyway, http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.zip is the windows
> binary. Tested on Win XP only, but might work elsewhere too.

Thanks Chris. Tried it on XP, got
"Error opening terminal: cygwin."

README sounds cool though...

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 6:38:44 AM

ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
> Chris Morris wrote:
> > Anyway, http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.zip is the windows
> > binary. Tested on Win XP only, but might work elsewhere too.
>
> Thanks Chris. Tried it on XP, got
> "Error opening terminal: cygwin."

Sorry - I can't duplicate that one here. Even if I run it outside any
of the Cygwin directories, it works fine provided the two DLLs are in
the same directory.

If you have space to install a basic cygwin installation, then it
should run nicely with that, but obviously that's not a good general
solution.

--
Chris
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 6:38:44 AM

ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
> Thanks Chris. Tried it on XP, got
> "Error opening terminal: cygwin."

Okay - slightly tweaked windows distribution at
http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.zip
that fixes this. Make sure you run it using cr.bat

Sorry about that.

--
Chris
Anonymous

Chris Morris <c.i.morris@durham.ac.uk> writes:
> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Thanks Chris. Tried it on XP, got
> > "Error opening terminal: cygwin."
>
> Sorry - I can't duplicate that one here. Even if I run it outside any
> of the Cygwin directories, it works fine provided the two DLLs are in
> the same directory.

Ah. There's the problem - it only works on machines with Cygwin
installed *somewhere*. I wonder what extra files it needs in the
distribution, then.

> If you have space to install a basic cygwin installation, then it
> should run nicely with that, but obviously that's not a good general
> solution.

....but until I can work out which extra cygwin files need
distributing, it'll have to do. :(

Does anyone have any experience of cygwin and curses development to
suggest an answer?

--
Chris
Anonymous

Chris Morris wrote:
> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>Chris Morris wrote:
>>
>>>Anyway, http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.zip is the windows
>>>binary. Tested on Win XP only, but might work elsewhere too.
>>
>>Thanks Chris. Tried it on XP, got
>>"Error opening terminal: cygwin."
>

> Sorry - I can't duplicate that one here. Even if I run it outside any
> of the Cygwin directories, it works fine provided the two DLLs are in
> the same directory.
>
> If you have space to install a basic cygwin installation, then it
> should run nicely with that, but obviously that's not a good general
> solution.

Unfortunately I have the same problem :-(. Seems it needs a cygterm to
run properly. Also I guess you didn't provide ncurses with it.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"The name of GenRogue, has become a warning against excessively
complex design." -- RGRD FAQ
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 6:38:46 AM

Chris Morris <c.i.morris@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> ...but until I can work out which extra cygwin files need
> distributing, it'll have to do. :(

> Does anyone have any experience of cygwin and curses development to
> suggest an answer?

You have to either require users to download and install Cygwin, or find
some other way to port it to Windows. (As in DJGPP, and others.)

--
Jim Strathmeyer
Anonymous

Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> writes:
> > If you have space to install a basic cygwin installation, then it
> > should run nicely with that, but obviously that's not a good general
> > solution.
>
> Unfortunately I have the same problem :-(. Seems it needs a cygterm to
> run properly. Also I guess you didn't provide ncurses with it.

The cygwin ncurses dll is in the zip file - that seems to be
sufficient for it. I found a mailing list post with the solution and
managed to get it to work on at least one windows XP machine that had
never seen cygwin.

So, the windows version now on the web now has that included, and if
you don't have cygwin installed, running it out of the batch file
should work.

--
Chris
Anonymous

Chris Morris <c.i.morris@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> The cygwin ncurses dll is in the zip file - that seems to be
> sufficient for it. I found a mailing list post with the solution and
> managed to get it to work on at least one windows XP machine that had
> never seen cygwin.

> So, the windows version now on the web now has that included, and if
> you don't have cygwin installed, running it out of the batch file
> should work.

In occordance with Cygwin's license, your program would have to be
GPL'ed:

http://cygwin.com/licensing.html

Which is assume your program isn't, since you don't want to give out the
source and just let people compile it themselves.

--
Jim Strathmeyer
Anonymous

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:

> Chris Morris <c.i.morris@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
>> The cygwin ncurses dll is in the zip file - that seems to be
>> sufficient for it. I found a mailing list post with the solution and
>> managed to get it to work on at least one windows XP machine that had
>> never seen cygwin.
>
>> So, the windows version now on the web now has that included, and if
>> you don't have cygwin installed, running it out of the batch file
>> should work.
>
> In occordance with Cygwin's license, your program would have to be
> GPL'ed:
>
> http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
>
> Which is assume your program isn't, since you don't want to give out the
> source and just let people compile it themselves.

Funny, for me it says that his program *doesn't* have to be GPL'ed
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 6:38:48 AM

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> Chris Morris <c.i.morris@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>The cygwin ncurses dll is in the zip file - that seems to be
>>sufficient for it. I found a mailing list post with the solution and
>>managed to get it to work on at least one windows XP machine that had
>>never seen cygwin.
>

>>So, the windows version now on the web now has that included, and if
>>you don't have cygwin installed, running it out of the batch file
>>should work.
>

> In occordance with Cygwin's license, your program would have to be
> GPL'ed:
>
> http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
>
> Which is assume your program isn't, since you don't want to give out the
> source and just let people compile it themselves.

Wha? He _did_ give out the source for it. I'm looking at it right now.

Also, to quote the author here, in a previous post of his: "It's open
source - it's in the tar.gz file. Getting the compiler working on
windows is still a minor challenge, admittedly."

He compiled it for people who didn't want to compile it themselves.
He certainly seems to be inviting others to do so, if they wish, however.

--
Read more about my three projects, SoulEaterRL,
Necropolis, and a little toy RL.

http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

June 2, 2005 6:38:49 AM

Christophe Cavalaria <chris.cavalaria@free.fr> wrote:
> Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
>> http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
> Funny, for me it says that his program *doesn't* have to be GPL'ed

I don't know how to freakin' read that thing...

"By default, all executables link against this library (and in the
process include GPL'd Cygwin glue code). This means that unless you
modify the tools so that compiled executables do not make use of the
Cygwin library, your compiled programs will also have to be free
software distributed under the GPL with source code available to all."

--
Jim Strathmeyer
Anonymous

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:

> Christophe Cavalaria <chris.cavalaria@free.fr> wrote:
>> Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
>>> http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
>> Funny, for me it says that his program *doesn't* have to be GPL'ed
>
> I don't know how to freakin' read that thing...
>
> "By default, all executables link against this library (and in the
> process include GPL'd Cygwin glue code). This means that unless you
> modify the tools so that compiled executables do not make use of the
> Cygwin library, your compiled programs will also have to be free
> software distributed under the GPL with source code available to all."

Well, considering the note on the page, you should know that RedHat gave
special permissions to release the programs under any OSI approved licence.
So no, you don't need to GPL the code using Cygwin :)  But it must be
opensource anyway.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:31:45 PM

Chris Morris wrote:
> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>Thanks Chris. Tried it on XP, got
>>"Error opening terminal: cygwin."
>
> Okay - slightly tweaked windows distribution at
> http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.zip
> that fixes this. Make sure you run it using cr.bat
>
> Sorry about that.

No problem - thanks very much. I was going to install cygwin but
maybe I'm better not and testing it works :)

Which it does! Awesome!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 4:37:48 PM

ABCGi wrote:
> Chris Morris wrote:
>
>> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Thanks Chris. Tried it on XP, got
>>> "Error opening terminal: cygwin."
>>
>> Okay - slightly tweaked windows distribution at
>> http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.zip
>> that fixes this. Make sure you run it using cr.bat
>>
>> Sorry about that.
>
> No problem - thanks very much. I was going to install cygwin but
> maybe I'm better not and testing it works :)
>
> Which it does! Awesome!

Great game, great concept. nice work. few quick points if it
helps, feel free to ignore...

* Need to press 'Y' twice to start new game
* When capturing a piece and then dying in the same turn
I do not get the message that I captured a piece just that
I was captured.
* '?' and F1 should bring up some help screen

* Maybe colour the contained '=' black and white like a
chess board, or some other such /themeic/ addition :)  By
that I mean the inner '=' blocks that do not form the
walls since black will not be visible on a black
background.
* label the left & right axis a,b,c and 1,2,3 and in the
stats show position as a chess co-ord? just flavour
* Display "checkmate" when the PC is going to die the next
turn regardless of whether they sit still, move anywhere
or capture anything (damn you bishops and pawns! bullies!)

* fussy, on the intro, should be (and I might be corrected here);
"Your army has been defeated and the forces of the Black..."
- no comma required
"It will not be easy as he is surrounded by many guards
and you are not the strongest of fighters."
- no commas (2) required
"To begin with, you may only move orthogonally (horizontally
and vertically) and you can capture any piece you move into."
- no comma required
"A list of your captures is also on the right of the" [newline]
- this newline comes in too early

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 4:37:49 PM

ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
> Great game, great concept. nice work. few quick points if it
> helps, feel free to ignore...

Thanks

> * Need to press 'Y' twice to start new game
> * When capturing a piece and then dying in the same turn
> I do not get the message that I captured a piece just that
> I was captured.

Yes, I know about these two. I've no idea *why* the first one happens
but it's one of the more annoying bugs.

> * '?' and F1 should bring up some help screen

I'm not entirely sure what it would say on it, with the keymaps already
on the right and no other keys in the game. If you can think of
something else it needs I'll add it.

> * Maybe colour the contained '=' black and white like a
> chess board, or some other such /themeic/ addition :)  By
> that I mean the inner '=' blocks that do not form the
> walls since black will not be visible on a black
> background.

I couldn't quite get it to work with black and white. I might do bold
and normal shades of blue, though.

What I definitely want to do is colour the corridors and rooms
alternately dark grey and white, since it would make dealing with
bishops much clearer.

> * label the left & right axis a,b,c and 1,2,3 and in the
> stats show position as a chess co-ord? just flavour

Could do. I'm not sure there's actually space for it, though, on a
standard 80x24 terminal.

> * Display "checkmate" when the PC is going to die the next
> turn regardless of whether they sit still, move anywhere
> or capture anything (damn you bishops and pawns! bullies!)

That'd require the game knowing if that's the case or not, which would
mean that every possible move (and there are up to 25) would have to
be evaluated to see if - after captures - it left the player in
check. It's not even just a case of seeing if any piece not on that square
can move to that square, since in positions like this:
=====
=@PP.
=....
N..=B
=..B.
it might actually be okay to take the pawn, *if* the other pawn moves
before the bishop and moves down rather than right. Risky, admittedly.

It would be a nice touch, but might slow things down a little to do
all the calculations.

> * fussy, on the intro, should be (and I might be corrected here);
> - no comma required
> - no commas (2) required
> - no comma required
> - this newline comes in too early

I clearly have a comma obsession.

--
Chris
Anonymous

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 09:34:08 +0100, Chris Morris wrote:

> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
>> Great game, great concept. nice work. few quick points if it
>> helps, feel free to ignore...
>
> Thanks
>
>> * Need to press 'Y' twice to start new game
>> * When capturing a piece and then dying in the same turn
>> I do not get the message that I captured a piece just that
>> I was captured.
>
> Yes, I know about these two. I've no idea *why* the first one happens
> but it's one of the more annoying bugs.

I don't know Kaya, but, perhaps this piece of code is the problem, k3.k
lines 116 - 118:
if (readChar() == 'n' || readChar() == 'N') {
quit = true;
}
It seems like you are first reading character, compare it, if false
you then read another character and compare it. I think you should read
the character and place it in a variable, and then do comparisons to avoid
reading two characters when 'n' is not pressed.

Regards,

--
joni
Anonymous

Steve Yrjana <my_dump@looks.great.but.is.invalid> writes:
> I don't know Kaya, but, perhaps this piece of code is the problem, k3.k
> lines 116 - 118:
> if (readChar() == 'n' || readChar() == 'N') {
> quit = true;
> }
> It seems like you are first reading character, compare it, if false
> you then read another character and compare it. I think you should read
> the character and place it in a variable, and then do comparisons to avoid
> reading two characters when 'n' is not pressed.

Oops. Thankyou. Yes, that's exactly the problem.

--
Chris, feeling very silly indeed.
Anonymous

Chris Morris wrote:
*SNIP*
> I'd also been wanting to try an nDRL challenge for a while to break my
> habit of not releasing anything. With a nice long 3-day weekend, it
> wasn't as hard as I'd expected to get a playable game, which has
> certainly made me a lot happier about starting on something bigger.

There will be a 1DRL (24hr coding time limit) to do a H-World mod
at the end end of June. Modders can start anytime from June 27th
and finish by/before July 4th!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world

> So: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/chessrogue.tar.gz is a 3DRL
> (Currently only a Linux binary - I'll see if I can get a Cygwin binary
> put together for windows when I have a bit more time)
*SNIP*

ChessRogue rox!

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:46:24 AM

Chris Morris wrote:
> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>Great game, great concept. nice work. few quick points if it
>>helps, feel free to ignore...
>
> Thanks
>
>>* Need to press 'Y' twice to start new game
>>* When capturing a piece and then dying in the same turn
>> I do not get the message that I captured a piece just that
>> I was captured.
>
> Yes, I know about these two. I've no idea *why* the first one happens
> but it's one of the more annoying bugs.
>
>>* '?' and F1 should bring up some help screen
>
> I'm not entirely sure what it would say on it, with the keymaps already
> on the right and no other keys in the game. If you can think of
> something else it needs I'll add it.

"Grud helps those that help themselves" ?

>>* Maybe colour the contained '=' black and white like a
>> chess board, or some other such /themeic/ addition :)  By
>> that I mean the inner '=' blocks that do not form the
>> walls since black will not be visible on a black
>> background.
>
> I couldn't quite get it to work with black and white. I might do bold
> and normal shades of blue, though.
>
> What I definitely want to do is colour the corridors and rooms
> alternately dark grey and white, since it would make dealing with
> bishops much clearer.

Yes this would be good and chess-y.

>>* label the left & right axis a,b,c and 1,2,3 and in the
>> stats show position as a chess co-ord? just flavour
>
> Could do. I'm not sure there's actually space for it, though, on a
> standard 80x24 terminal.

Maybe just display the position on the right and don't worry
about labels - its only flavour after all.

A high score table that includes the move in chess co-ords
the enemy made to capture you.

>>* Display "checkmate" when the PC is going to die the next
>> turn regardless of whether they sit still, move anywhere
>> or capture anything (damn you bishops and pawns! bullies!)
>
> That'd require the game knowing if that's the case or not, which would
> mean that every possible move (and there are up to 25) would have to
> be evaluated to see if - after captures - it left the player in
> check. It's not even just a case of seeing if any piece not on that square
> can move to that square, since in positions like this:
> =====
> =@PP.
> =....
> N..=B
> =..B.
> it might actually be okay to take the pawn, *if* the other pawn moves
> before the bishop and moves down rather than right. Risky, admittedly.
>
> It would be a nice touch, but might slow things down a little to do
> all the calculations.

heh... fair enough. Display "Check" when PC is directly threatened
(ie pressing 'wait' will kill you). If there was an easy skill level
I would suggest the wait key is disabled or a "are you sure" comes
up - but that is hardly RL.

>>* fussy, on the intro, should be (and I might be corrected here);
>> - no comma required
>> - no commas (2) required
>> - no comma required
>> - this newline comes in too early
>
> I clearly have a comma obsession.

I, don't, really know, what, you, mean :)

Thanks again for the game, endless fun.

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:46:25 AM

ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
> Chris Morris wrote:
> > Could do. I'm not sure there's actually space for it, though, on a
> > standard 80x24 terminal.
>
> Maybe just display the position on the right and don't worry
> about labels - its only flavour after all.
>
> A high score table that includes the move in chess co-ords
> the enemy made to capture you.

Ah, that would be good.

> > It would be a nice touch, but might slow things down a little to do
> > all the calculations.
>
> heh... fair enough. Display "Check" when PC is directly threatened
> (ie pressing 'wait' will kill you). If there was an easy skill level
> I would suggest the wait key is disabled or a "are you sure" comes
> up - but that is hardly RL.

Yes, that'd be a nice touch, although I wouldn't want it to misreport
things like:
...P
@PR
...P
(If the middle pawn moves before at least one of the side pawns, *and*
before the rook, you can't stay still)

Probably the only way to do it would be to work out the turn if you
don't move, and see what happens - but even then there's certain cases
where it might depend on which way a piece moved, according to the
will of the RNG.
@P. (pawn moves before bishop)
...B
(1/3 chance of being safe if the pawn moves down)

I could get it to say "Checkmate" if you get captured :)

--
Chris
Anonymous

Chris Morris wrote:
> ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>Chris Morris wrote:
>>
>>>Could do. I'm not sure there's actually space for it, though, on a
>>>standard 80x24 terminal.
>>
>>Maybe just display the position on the right and don't worry
>>about labels - its only flavour after all.
>>
>>A high score table that includes the move in chess co-ords
>>the enemy made to capture you.
>
> Ah, that would be good.
>
>>>It would be a nice touch, but might slow things down a little to do
>>>all the calculations.
>>
>>heh... fair enough. Display "Check" when PC is directly threatened
>>(ie pressing 'wait' will kill you). If there was an easy skill level
>>I would suggest the wait key is disabled or a "are you sure" comes
>>up - but that is hardly RL.
>
> Yes, that'd be a nice touch, although I wouldn't want it to misreport
> things like:
> ..P
> @PR
> ..P
> (If the middle pawn moves before at least one of the side pawns, *and*
> before the rook, you can't stay still)

Wow sounds like just the sort of challenge us geeks love. You
gotta do it! I would use "Check" or maybe "possible Check" or
maybe a grey "Check" in the above and a white "Check" for definates.
For all situations where you could possibly get killed if standing
still. That would be fairer in the above example too - since I
would be a bit annoyed if I got killed with the above without warning!

> Probably the only way to do it would be to work out the turn if you
> don't move, and see what happens - but even then there's certain cases
> where it might depend on which way a piece moved, according to the
> will of the RNG.
> @P. (pawn moves before bishop)
> ..B
> (1/3 chance of being safe if the pawn moves down)
>
> I could get it to say "Checkmate" if you get captured :)

Yeah that too :)

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
..Hajo's H-World - RogueLike/RPG Engine SourceForge Project...
.......Downloads - https://sourceforge.net/projects/h-world...
............Home - http://h-world.simugraph.com...............
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:30:52 PM

ABCGi <abcgi@yahoo.com> writes:
> Chris Morris wrote:
> >>heh... fair enough. Display "Check" when PC is directly threatened
> >>(ie pressing 'wait' will kill you). If there was an easy skill level
> >>I would suggest the wait key is disabled or a "are you sure" comes
> >>up - but that is hardly RL.
> > Yes, that'd be a nice touch, although I wouldn't want it to misreport
> > things like:
> > ..P
> > @PR
> > ..P
> > (If the middle pawn moves before at least one of the side pawns, *and*
> > before the rook, you can't stay still)
>
> Wow sounds like just the sort of challenge us geeks love. You
> gotta do it! I would use "Check" or maybe "possible Check" or
> maybe a grey "Check" in the above and a white "Check" for definates.
> For all situations where you could possibly get killed if standing
> still. That would be fairer in the above example too - since I
> would be a bit annoyed if I got killed with the above without warning!

Yes. Probably safest to display "Check" anyway, or it could give away
too much information about what order the pieces *do* move in.

> > Probably the only way to do it would be to work out the turn if you
> > don't move, and see what happens - but even then there's certain cases
> > where it might depend on which way a piece moved, according to the
> > will of the RNG.

Of course, it wouldn't be too hard to patch the RNG [1] so that it
could save state, try something, see what happens, and reload the
state, but I think it's only fair to warn if there's a _risk_ of
capture.

[1] I should probably do this anyway.

Various other bits of code need cleaning up first, I think, or it
won't be particularly easy to do the check without completely wrecking
the board position, but that needs doing anyway.

--
Chris
!