  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:21:31 PM

I have a Dell 2400 with XP Home SP1 preinstalled. AU (Automatic
Updates) is set to notify me before downloading anything. Well, about 10
minutes ago, it notified me about SP2. I clicked "download", the small
window disappeared and nothing happened.

More about : curious glitch sp2

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:11:13 PM

Update. I rebooted the PC, and the AU icon suddenly appeared in the
systray, saying it was downloading something. I assume SP2. After 22
minutes, download percentage is still at 0%.

"HistoryFan" <Whatisemail?@whatisemail?.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dell 2400 with XP Home SP1 preinstalled. AU (Automatic
> Updates) is set to notify me before downloading anything. Well, about 10
> minutes ago, it notified me about SP2. I clicked "download", the small
> window disappeared and nothing happened.

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:18:40 PM

In news:LH2Vc.194422$fv.129671@fe2.columbus.rr.com,
HistoryFan <Whatisemail?@whatisemail?.com> opined:
> I have a Dell 2400 with XP Home SP1 preinstalled. AU (Automatic
> Updates) is set to notify me before downloading anything. Well,
> about 10 minutes ago, it notified me about SP2. I clicked
> "download", the small window disappeared and nothing happened.

similar here (England) I think you have to set the system to Automatic D/L
and install to get the SP2 upgrade at the Moment
as it is restricted number of D/Ls at this time
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Probably still downloading :)

I'd guess an hour.
"HistoryFan" <Whatisemail?@whatisemail?.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dell 2400 with XP Home SP1 preinstalled. AU (Automatic
> Updates) is set to notify me before downloading anything. Well, about 10
> minutes ago, it notified me about SP2. I clicked "download", the small
> window disappeared and nothing happened.

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 2:44:00 AM

5.5 hours went by and still no progress downloading SP2 thru Automatic
Updates. It stayed at 0%. So I stopped AU, rebooted my computer, and
downloaded the 266MB network installation version of SP2 from Microsoft.
With my cable modem, download took about 14 minutes, and the installation
took about 30 minutes. That was more like it. So far, everything is
working fine. No big problems to report. Not yet, anyway.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 8:32:37 PM

AQpparently there is a glitch with users who have indeed set their AU to
notify them first. The dl does not proceed.

Readjust to the 'send automatically' option and you should get the dl.

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:21:31 GMT, "HistoryFan"
> <Whatisemail?@whatisemail?.com> wrote:
>
> I *have* noticed that the Windows Update web page is new and, obviously,
the
> Windows Update software version on my computer appears to have been
updated.
> Also, the Automatic Updates tab on my System Properties page has been
> revamped.
August 21, 2004 2:09:23 AM

David Nimon wrote:
> AQpparently there is a glitch with users who have indeed set their AU
> to notify them first. The dl does not proceed.
>
> Readjust to the 'send automatically' option and you should get the dl.
>
>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:21:31 GMT, "HistoryFan"
>> <Whatisemail?@whatisemail?.com> wrote:
>>
>> I *have* noticed that the Windows Update web page is new and,
>> obviously, the Windows Update software version on my computer
>> appears to have been updated. Also, the Automatic Updates tab on my
>> System Properties page has been revamped.
>> --

The download of XP2 via WU is going to be in parts with some occuring at
each designated time until the entire download is assembled. Since the
entire download is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...
or http://tinyurl.com/26uwc
those on broadband might just as well get the entire package, 270MB.
The WU package will be smaller, reportedly 60-100MB, depending on the
system analysis, but will take longer to complete. Both the WU and the
larger download will install identically the same. The larger download
can be burned to CD for archiving if reinstall is ever necessary.

August 21, 2004 8:30:14 AM

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:32:37 -0400, "David Nimon"
<dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>AQpparently there is a glitch with users who have indeed set their AU to
>notify them first. The dl does not proceed.
>
>Readjust to the 'send automatically' option and you should get the dl.

Well, just as a follow-up, when I turned my computer on tonight (without
changing any settings), after booting, it automatically started downloading
SP2 (*without* asking if I wanted to, BTW). After the download was complete,
I was prompted if I wanted to proceed with installation.

Both the download and the install went flawlessly on my 5 year old computer.

After rebooting, I chose to keep my updates set to only download and install
only after my approval. The Security Center does not like that, flagging my
Windows Update settings and saying that I could leave myself open to who
knows what by not allowing ALL updates to just download and install without
my approval. <g>
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 9:45:42 PM

David,
Are your recommending to set it to "download and automatically install" or
to "Download and let me choose when to install"?
Thanks
Charlie

>"David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>AQpparently there is a glitch with users who have indeed set their AU to
>notify them first. The dl does not proceed.
>
>Readjust to the 'send automatically' option and you should get the dl.

Charliec
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 9:45:43 PM

Automatically install