A greenhorn's plee for help

Hello,
I'd like to start off by confessing that I'm still rather new to
roguelikes. The only one I ever really played was ADOM, and I seam to
keep dieing.
Anyhow I decided to take a crack at building one of these things. I'm
doing this mainly to advance my C programming skills than anything
else. I highly doubt I'll ever get anything completed enough that
anyone would want to waste their time with it.
Sorry for the side track. I started off with T. B.'s qhack. I'm
looking through the code and trying to figure out what everything does.
For some odd reason it won't compile on my computer (the command line
of windows xp). So I started to write my own little starter. So far I
have been successful at building the intro and getting a player
character with reasonable looking stats and such. Nothing too
complicated.
Now for the problem. I am not sure how to go about generating a random
map. I was just wondering if there was a really good tutorial or
example around that could help me? Or if anyone other than T.B. has a
small set of the basic modules needed to start a roguelike (maps, line
of sight...)? I've tried googling it, but with no luck.
Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide. And I
appollogize for the rather lengthy and round-about post.

aerospace1028@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to start off by confessing that I'm still rather new to
> roguelikes. The only one I ever really played was ADOM, and I seam to
> keep dieing.

Who doesn't. Have a look at Angband and Crawl, too - there are lots of
ways to die there too. (Oh, and I've never won any of the big
roguelikes, either).

> Anyhow I decided to take a crack at building one of these things. I'm
> doing this mainly to advance my C programming skills than anything
> else. I highly doubt I'll ever get anything completed enough that
> anyone would want to waste their time with it.

Welcome to the club :)

> Sorry for the side track. I started off with T. B.'s qhack. I'm
> looking through the code and trying to figure out what everything does.
> For some odd reason it won't compile on my computer (the command line
> of windows xp). So I started to write my own little starter. So far I
> have been successful at building the intro and getting a player
> character with reasonable looking stats and such. Nothing too
> complicated.

I, too, had some problems with QHack some years ago. I used Vadim's
console package (http://www.avanor.com/download.php?a=console.zip) - and
had better luck with that. It still needed some tweaking to work.

> Now for the problem. I am not sure how to go about generating a random
> map. I was just wondering if there was a really good tutorial or
> example around that could help me?

Bjørn's collection of tutorials and articles
(http://roguelikedevelopment.org/php/category/showCategory.php?path=development/&category=MAP)
are full of theory and some code. Great place for ideas. I'd start with
trying to make your character ('@'?) to move around on an empty level.

> Or if anyone other than T.B. has a
> small set of the basic modules needed to start a roguelike (maps, line
> of sight...)? I've tried googling it, but with no luck.
> Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide. And I
> appollogize for the rather lengthy and round-about post.

No problem,

tormodh.

aerospace1028@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to start off by confessing that I'm still rather new to
> roguelikes. The only one I ever really played was ADOM, and I seam to
> keep dieing.

I quickly gave up on ADOM, as it was so ridiculously hard and overly
complicated. I don't last too long on Crawl, either, but I last longer,
and enjoy the game more.

I used to play NetHack for DOS back when I was younger, also, but I
still like Crawl the best of the traditional Pseudo-medieval fantasy ones.

Hello.
Thank you all very much for your wonderful advice. It was very
helpful. Now I feel I have abetter idea of how to get started with
this thing.

Just in case anyone cares:
clerifying a couple of items braught up in this thread.

I only started with the character before the map because I knew It
would be quick and easy. And my last experience with random numbers in
c was a long time ago.

I did do a little poking about in nethack and angband, but they didn't
work well for me when I tried to actually play them. so I didn't want
too much to do what they did. I am legally blind and using a screen
reader and most roguelikes that I tried had issues interacting with it.
ADOM seamed to work the best, so I am trying to go for that basic
feel.

And as I said in my previous post. I'm not trying to get too fancy.
My imediate goal is basically a three or four level dungeon and throw
in a couple of monsters and items. my idea is to get the map down good
and be able to move around without too much oddities. Than put in some
monsters and get the basics of a.i. and combat down than worry about
fancy trinkets.

Now that I've looked at most of those recommended articles on map
building I think I have a good Idea of whare to go. Now to see if I
can code it up without getting myself too lost.

Thank you all again. And expect to here from me soon.

aerospace1028@hotmail.com napisał(a):
> Hello,
> I'd like to start off by confessing that I'm still rather new to
> roguelikes. The only one I ever really played was ADOM, and I seam to
> keep dieing.

It seems that everyone does :).

> Anyhow I decided to take a crack at building one of these things. I'm
> doing this mainly to advance my C programming skills than anything
> else. I highly doubt I'll ever get anything completed enough that
> anyone would want to waste their time with it.
> Sorry for the side track. I started off with T. B.'s qhack. I'm
> looking through the code and trying to figure out what everything does.
> For some odd reason it won't compile on my computer (the command line
> of windows xp). So I started to write my own little starter. So far I
> have been successful at building the intro and getting a player
> character with reasonable looking stats and such. Nothing too
> complicated.

QHack for DOS uses conio as I remember, which is not in gcc, so it won't
compile under DJGPP or MinGW32. You probably need bcc to compile it.

> Now for the problem. I am not sure how to go about generating a random
> map. I was just wondering if there was a really good tutorial or
> example around that could help me? Or if anyone other than T.B. has a
> small set of the basic modules needed to start a roguelike (maps, line
> of sight...)? I've tried googling it, but with no luck.
> Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide. And I
> appollogize for the rather lengthy and round-about post.

I think FOV/LOS is quite simple to program, but I haven't tried it yet.
You can make you own random dungeon generator too. If you have some
dices you can firstly draw some dungeons on paper as I did.

--
Milesss
m i l e s s s @ i n t e r i a . p l

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:35:57 +0200, Milesss <milesssREMOVE@interia.pl>
wrote:

>aerospace1028@hotmail.com napisa?(a):
>> Hello,
>> I'd like to start off by confessing that I'm still rather new to
>> roguelikes. The only one I ever really played was ADOM, and I seam to
>> keep dieing.
>
>It seems that everyone does :).
>
>> Anyhow I decided to take a crack at building one of these things. I'm
>> doing this mainly to advance my C programming skills than anything
>> else. I highly doubt I'll ever get anything completed enough that
>> anyone would want to waste their time with it.
>> Sorry for the side track. I started off with T. B.'s qhack. I'm
>> looking through the code and trying to figure out what everything does.
>> For some odd reason it won't compile on my computer (the command line
>> of windows xp). So I started to write my own little starter. So far I
>> have been successful at building the intro and getting a player
>> character with reasonable looking stats and such. Nothing too
>> complicated.
>
>QHack for DOS uses conio as I remember, which is not in gcc, so it won't
>compile under DJGPP or MinGW32.

IIRC, DJGPP has it's own implementation of conio.

But in any case, most of the system-specific code was placed within one
file, making it easy to implement PDCurses (as long as you modify the
library to force PDC_Breakout to return false.)

Timothy Pruett wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> He will. But it will look a lot diffrent then when he started
>> developing it. No, it will be not less ambitious. Quite the opposite ;->
>
> I believe you. I just wished that it would be done sooner than later,
> since I'm itching for a new RL to obsess over. ;-)

Well, so do I :). It's the next project I'm doing after Carceri reaches
a usable state. But I first have to polish (no pun intended) my OpenGL
skills. Oh BTW, you're invited to the Carceri-dev group if you're
interested -- hight quality feedback is always appriciated ;-).

>>> but if he does, it'll be far more than a decade in the making.
>>
>> It already is...
>
> That's what I meant. My bad. What has it been now, twelve years?

Nah, just 10 :)

>> You may not believe it, but if it weren't for Amy, there would be no
>> DoomRL.
>
> Oh, I believe it. It's a pity she didn't have a bit of *tact* though.

One of the skills of life is learning to filter -- learn from the good
parts, forget the offensive parts.

>> This is not true in the case of FreePascal -- there's no difference in
>> using a terminal in Windows and Linux.
>
> Maybe that's the case with Pascal, but this guy said he was working in
> C, in which case, Linux curses is far better supported.

Another reason why FP is a great language :-D
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Timothy Pruett wrote:
>
>> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>
>>> He will. But it will look a lot diffrent then when he started
>>> developing it. No, it will be not less ambitious. Quite the opposite ;->
>>

>> I believe you. I just wished that it would be done sooner than later,
>> since I'm itching for a new RL to obsess over. ;-)
>

> Well, so do I :). It's the next project I'm doing after Carceri reaches
> a usable state. But I first have to polish (no pun intended) my OpenGL
> skills. Oh BTW, you're invited to the Carceri-dev group if you're
> interested -- hight quality feedback is always appriciated ;-).

Sounds good. :)

I just sent out an email, and got the automated reply back saying that
I have subscribed.

>>> It already is...
>>

>> That's what I meant. My bad. What has it been now, twelve years?
>

> Nah, just 10 :)

Whew! I don't think I've ever broken the 4 year mark with one of my
projects.

>>> You may not believe it, but if it weren't for Amy, there would be no
>>> DoomRL.
>>

>> Oh, I believe it. It's a pity she didn't have a bit of *tact* though.
>

> One of the skills of life is learning to filter -- learn from the good
> parts, forget the offensive parts.

Oh, she didn't offend me. She just lacked the ability to phrase her
thoughts appropriately. Trust me, it takes _a lot_ of foul stuff to
offend me, far more than anyone online is capable of conjuring up. ;-)

>>> This is not true in the case of FreePascal -- there's no difference
>>> in using a terminal in Windows and Linux.
>>

>> Maybe that's the case with Pascal, but this guy said he was working in
>> C, in which case, Linux curses is far better supported.
>

> Another reason why FP is a great language :-D

I still need to get around to learning Pascal. I'll have to go search
for a nice rpm to download, since I'm pretty sure my distro didn't
come with it.

I want to make sure I'm well-versed in Pascal, so that when you
finally get around to releasing source for any of your games, I can
mod the hell out of them. ;-P

--
My projects are currently on hold, but I do have
some junk at the site below.

http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

>>> Kornel is a prime example of this. Granted, he might yet finish his
>>> late great masterpiece, GenRogue,
>>

>> He will. But it will look a lot diffrent then when he started developing
>> it. No, it will be not less ambitious. Quite the opposite ;->
>
> I believe you. I just wished that it would be done sooner than later,
> since I'm itching for a new RL to obsess over. ;-)
>
>>> but if he does, it'll be far more than a decade in the making.
>>

>> It already is...
>
> That's what I meant. My bad. What has it been now, twelve years?

Holy Duley... since 1993... thats a LOT of RLing...

Timothy Pruett wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> Well, so do I :). It's the next project I'm doing after Carceri
>> reaches a usable state. But I first have to polish (no pun intended)
>> my OpenGL skills. Oh BTW, you're invited to the Carceri-dev group if
>> you're interested -- hight quality feedback is always appriciated ;-).
>
> Sounds good. :)
>
> I just sent out an email, and got the automated reply back saying that I
> have subscribed.

Yup. Welcome ;-).

>>> That's what I meant. My bad. What has it been now, twelve years?
>>
>> Nah, just 10 :)
>
> Whew! I don't think I've ever broken the 4 year mark with one of my
> projects.

Don't worry, I guess you'll share that experience on at least one
project one day. That is *if* you're a dreamer like myself (there's
always something impossible to be done...).

>>> Oh, I believe it. It's a pity she didn't have a bit of *tact* though.
>>
>> One of the skills of life is learning to filter -- learn from the good
>> parts, forget the offensive parts.
>
> Oh, she didn't offend me. She just lacked the ability to phrase her
> thoughts appropriately. Trust me, it takes _a lot_ of foul stuff to
> offend me, far more than anyone online is capable of conjuring up. ;-)

That's what I value in people very much. I take much pride in the fact
that no one could ever offend me ;-).

>>> Maybe that's the case with Pascal, but this guy said he was working
>>> in C, in which case, Linux curses is far better supported.
>>
>> Another reason why FP is a great language :-D
>
> I still need to get around to learning Pascal. I'll have to go search
> for a nice rpm to download, since I'm pretty sure my distro didn't come
> with it.

If any, download FPC 2.0.0. It's the most mature release, and very
stable. I sincerely reccomend using Lazarus IDE even if you're not doing
GUI stuff. Although I must admit that it lacks a few important features
that FPIDE has (Trace into and Step over are the most missed by me...).

> I want to make sure I'm well-versed in Pascal, so that when you finally
> get around to releasing source for any of your games, I can mod the hell
> out of them. ;-P

ROTFL ;-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch
of text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep