Can I switch Hardisks and back to my computer?

G

I have a 8500TUC mb with p166 in it. My friend gave me a computer with a 50x cd, 233mmx, p55 mb socket7, and a modem soundcard video card to go with it, oh and a monitor. I put it together and kept [-peep-] with [-peep-] to figure out why it wouldn't boot. DOH! no hard drive in it. Can i take the harddrive i'm using now, and switch it to the other computer just to see if it runs? Will there be a conflict with a different bios? Can i switch it back with just a little configuration? Thanks.

Yes and no. You can try it to see if the new comp will post.But if you let it boot into windows it will start reconfiguring windows for the new computer.Once new comp posts, but before it starts to load windows,press pause key.Now shut computer down with power button.
Also turn the monitor on and off several times beforee you try this. The reason for this is that a lot of older monitors were slow to warm up and display.So by the time you get a display on the monitor you are already booting into windows.

I aint signing nothing!!!

alphateam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Its worth a shot I suppose. You might run into a lot of problems with all the hardware being differnt and have that taking longer to fix that a clean install. I would suggest doing a clean install of the OS. Its always nice to have a new working version of the OS. After you get it setup perfect use a program like Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive image and you can make an image of the compuuter so a re-install isn't so painfull later

-Alpha
Sorry I missed church, I've been busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.