Different types of IPS vs LED LCD

Johndj

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hi all,

Can anyone explain or give me a link to read the difference between the various IPS panels. For example, p-ips vs e-ips. (I've tried searching, but no luck)

I'm looking for a monitor and just want to educate myself on which technology fits my needs.

Thanks in advance

Note, there are E-IPS and e-IPS panels. "E-IPS" panels are basically an Enhanced version of the S-IPS panel. It is slightly older term used back in 2005.

"e-IPS" panels are newer than "E-IPS" panels. They are relatively inexpensive to manufacture (compared to other IPS panels) and can compete against TN panels on price.

P-IPS, S-IPS, H-IPS and according to jaguarskx E-IPS are all 8 bit panels which means that they have better color accuracy then other panels such as TN, VA, e-IPS which are all 6bit.

all IPS panels have almost a 180 degree viewing angle without noticible distortion.

TN panels due to the bad viewing angles can color shift or produce strange effects when viewed on an angle and on larger displays (24,26, etc) this can even occur around the edges when viewed straight on.

there is no "led lcd" all of the panels are lcd. the led just refers to leds being used for backlighting instead of ccfl. if you buy a cheap panel with led backlighting there might be a blue tint due to the lower quality leds used. if you buy a high quality (note: normally more expensive) model with led backlighting you will most likely not get this effect.

---

as far as what the differences between the 8bit ips panels are, i dont know offhand.

sk1939

Distinguished

Partially wrong (P-IPS is 10 bit)

The difference between P-IPS, S-IPs, and H-IPS have to do with age (S-IPS is relatively old technology from 1998), pixel refresh timing, H-IPS has better contrast than S-IPS as well as a different polarizing film (better whites), while P-IPS is the latest technology (after e-IPS) that offers 30 Bit color/10Bit colour panels.

e-IPS also offers the fastest refresh out of the IPS techs (5ms), and allows the use of cheaper LED technology due to wider light apertures.

sk1939

Distinguished
It's cheap if nothing else, but the cost and resolution leads me to conclude that it is an e-IPS panel, so don't expect a ton of color coverage from it (72% or percent of NTSC), but it would be better than any TN panel and about the same as the Dell U2311 frankly (minus the nifty features the Dell has like a rotating stand).

Johndj

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Sounds like I should just go for a 22"-24" LED backlight LCD instead to save a few bucks.

Also, I found the manual online for the ASUS PA238QR, it's actually 6 bit IPS not 8 bit.

Thanks everyone

@sk1939

thanks for the clarification on P-IPS and comparison of ips models. i will have to keep that in mind.

@op

as long as you are not a videophile or you do not work in a field where color accuracy is paramount (ie, digital photography or graphic design) then likely you will not care about 6bit vs 8bit vs 10bit and might be concerned more with price.