Compaq Presario

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcrunchone

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I have a compaq presario F700 running vista, the problem is that it says no operating system found on the laptop.

it also has a password on the bios that should not be as well.
I want to reformat the machine install XP or windows 7 both of which I have legit copies of.
Is there a simple fix to this problem or is it a major issue.
I was also told to remove te password I have to change the chip that holds the retains the password, any input on that as well. I am abuot to get into some homework now. Please any info to help will be highly appreciated.

kcrunchone

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Another quick question if u might know.
once I get the new bios chip can I install windows 7 on the laptop w/o any issues, I dont have recovery disks for the lap top I dont believe it ever had any. the machine is 2 years old at best.
???

G

I doubt if the BIOS has any relevance to installing Windows 7 -- that depends upon disk size (it's much bigger than XP) and performance wise on having a reasonable processor and memory size.

kcrunchone

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I was not concerned with the BIOS allowing me to install XP but the fact it is a compaq and many others have spoke on how without the original restoration disks it was a task to change the machines configuration.

kcrunchone

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Well this should help some that are having the same issue and get you closer to solving some issues.
I pulled the internal MOBO battery and left it out for a few hours while I was out to see if it would allow me to enter the BIOS and yes it did. I am not sure the amount of time needed since I was not clocking the minutes but I was out of the house for at least 4 hours. I then put the battery back in the laptop and booted it up. I was able to run the diagnostic HDD test and it says there is NO IDE device present, ultimately letting me know the HDD crapped out. I will be replacing the drive after I order one and post the results.

I will be installing either W7 or XP Pro or XP Home all of which I have original official product. The machine had Vista, but its not as good as any of the others to me that is.

Thanks for the help and tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS