CPU UPGRADE

G

I have a Pentium 233MMX, I was wonder what it would take to upgrade and make it at least twice as fast as it is now.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Whew!
(I need a drink......)

Anyway, a celeron 366 or above with sdram would give you twice the computing power. But you pay just as much for that system (new) as you would an duron 600.

Figure (without s/h) 85 for a motherboard, 60 for a processor, 35 for a bit-o-ram, 25 for a heatsink, 9 for some arctic silver, keep the sound card (isa), keep the vid card (pci), keep the hard drive (8 meg/sec read), keep the case (atx factor), $30 for a 300 watt power supply, 12 for two new ata-66 cables, keep the floppy, keep the cdrom reader.

Probably under $200.

Check out <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new"> Pricewatch</A>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Whew!
(I need a drink......)

Anyway, a celeron 366 or above with sdram would give you twice the computing power. But you pay just as much for that system (new) as you would an duron 600.

Figure (without s/h) 85 for a motherboard, 60 for a processor, 35 for a bit-o-ram, 25 for a heatsink, 9 for some arctic silver, keep the sound card (isa), keep the vid card (pci), keep the hard drive (8 meg/sec read), keep the case (atx factor), $30 for a 300 watt power supply, 12 for two new ata-66 cables, keep the floppy, keep the cdrom reader.

Probably around $250.

Check out <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new"> Pricewatch</A>

G

Thanks for the information, i'm trying to decide if i should upgrade my computer or try buying a new computer at one the auction sites.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
An AMD K6-2 400 will work on your motherboard and will be almost twice as fast. If you do not have the proper 2.2v setting, you can run it at your computer's stock 2.8v setting with aditional cooling. If you do not have the proper multipliers or bus speed, you can leave your bus at 66MHz and set your multiplier to 2x, which is interpreted as 6x by the processor itself.
For even greater possible speeds, please tell us what kind on motherboard you have. You may be able to support up to 550MHz, depending on the board.
IF you do not know what kind of motherboard you have, please provide the bios string from the bottom of your screen at POST. In order to keep POST up long enough to righ this down, you can usually stop it after the memory check by hitting the pause key on your keyboard.

Suicide is painless...........

G

It all depends on what bus speed you have. If you can only do 66MHz, then 6x66 = 400MHz is your max. But don't let this put you off - you can still buy a K6-2 500 or 550 and run it at the lower speed (it can be difficult to come by the slower versions these days).

If your motherboard supports 75MHz (some did) then you'll be able to get 450, and if you can do 83 then you'll get 500.

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better. ~

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That goes without saying. But until he gives us more specs on the motherboard, all we can say for certain is that the 400 will work. There is always the possiblity that he has a Super7 board that supports all the bus speeds and multipliers! In fact, I find this to be just as likely as the possiblity that he has one of those earlier motherbiards that supports 75 and 83.5 MHz bus speeds.

G

Thanks for the help, the information at the bottom of my screen is (i430TX-67X-2A59IBOBC-00).

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>the information at the bottom of my screen is (i430TX-67X-2A59IBOBC-00).</b>
According to Wim's BIOS site (http://www.ping.be/bios/index.html?http://www.ping.be/bios/numbers.shtml), it is a INTEL Triton 430TX chipset Socket7 motherboard that made by BIOSTAR. I think you can go as far as 300MHz (certainly with BIOS update!) since most of these board only have highest multiplier at 3.5 and Front Side Bus at 83.33MHz (3.5 X 83.33 = 300)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Check for one of these numbers on your motherboard to find out which Biostar motherboard it is:
8500TAC(Ver1-3) 8500TAC(Ver4) 8500TAC(Ver5) 8500TAC(Ver6) 8500TAX 8500TTB 8500TTD 8500TUC(Ver1) 8500TUC(Ver2) 8500TUD
8500TVG 8500TVX(Ver1~2.2) 8500TVX(Ver2.3)
The number may be on the board or on a sticker on the last slot. If you find a similar but slightly different number, we can figure it out. At any rate, once we know the model, we can find the jumper options. It is completely possible that your motherboard may support up to 500MHz (6x83.5) using the 2x=6x option!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your in luck! Or maybe not! I just set up one of those. You can use the K6-2 400 by setting JP16 1-2 open, 3-4 open: JP2 closed: JP13 1-2 closed, 3-4 open.
This setting will give you 2.8v, so you need to use good cooling, but I have used it before without problems. It also sets your multiplier to 2x, which is interpreted as 6x by the processor.