win98SE

tommy888

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Recently the C folder opens everytime I start the PC and its a chore to close it at every startup. I have checked and found that there is nothing in the startup of the start menu and neither is there anything in the start tab of the msconfig. Can anybody help?

sturm

Splendid
Wild guess here but have u checked the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. I think 98(i know ME does) still has them on the c drive and runs them at startup for dos drivers and such. double check that for any programs they are starting.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
You can also check your view in folder option, and make sure Restore previous folder window at logon is uncheck.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Sounds like a fault in the O/S- bad file or overwrite.
Sure fix, as you probably know- save own files and reinstal O/S.

DCB_AU

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
When the C folder is open, did you try Restore Defaults and Reset Folders in View? Tools/folder options/view. I don’t know what else it could be.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
There is a place in the windows Registery that works just like the startup folder in the start menu. Go to this Key in regedit.exe (to start regedit.exe, go to start->run and type in regedit.exe... Then you can either search for the key called RUN or you can find it here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

you can also find in in the runonce key right below the run. To find out what value is loading that damn folder, look for something to do with C: my computer or something. You should be able to find it... If that doesnt do it, load regedit.exe and go to edit, then search for Run and run once... You can also remove annoying startup programs from the run key. BUT BE CAREFUL what you delete, because you could delete something needed for windows to run... Most of the stuff in the run folder is safe to delete, but just be careful and make sure you have your data backed up!!!

Hope this helps -Drew

tommy888

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Hi Drew

Followed your suggestion and found the runonce key in regedit which has subfolders; C\windows\system and the name is MSVCRT.DLL and Data is
C:\Windows\System\regsvr32.exe/s "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL"" . Is it safe to delete this key? and what does it do? Will there be any problems in running windows after deletion? SOS please and thanks

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Hmm, im not sure what that is. I did do a search for that dll file on my PC, and it does have it in many program files. I would say Do NOT delete this because it may be a critical file for windows, and prevent your PC from booting or make some program not work. That entry i would say is most likely not causing a folder to open at the start. Do you see anything else in the Run Key?

-Good Luck, Drew

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't delete this file, it's needed by the OS. In fact I've seen systems that wouldn't boot because this file was damaged.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>