Anyone heard this ?

G

I have an Abit KT7A-RAID,AMD1.33 w Alpha 6035 Sunon 26cfm
When I touch my computer my fan rpm goes up even when I just drag a window or do something (when play games its high ! but this is not the PSU Rpm this is the CPU Fan ) ! I feel this thing very weird !
I tought this is a power supply(Enermax 351W) but if it has not enough power the rpm has to go down not up !!!
Or this thing is some motherboard specific thing ?
Some else ever heard that ?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
That <i>is</i> odd. I'd think it's some trick of acoustics. I know that when something emits a sound, you pick up the sound a little differently if you're touching that something directly. That could explain why it sounds faster when you lay your hand on the case.

I don't know about the dragging window though...

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

louie2001

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
I had this happen on my old k6-400,You could listen and the fan would slow down and speed up very noticable.Ended up the CPU fan was bad and wasn't very old at the time.May try a different fan if you have one.

If at first you don't succeed!!Then skydiving's not for you!!! :eek:

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I take it when you say "touch" you mean use or do something to your computer and not physically touching the case (as exciting as that may be)

I'd guess its a software problem. Software hardware monitoring programs are notoriously inacurate and I wouldn't be surprised if this is whats happening in your case.

Try going into the BIOS and moving the mouse, typing on kybd and see if it effects the fan RPM in there. Could also be load dependant but I would have though a mobo maker would have chosen temp dependant instead as it makes more sense.

It ain't falling in the water that kills you; it's staying in there.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Are you using a fan RPM control program that came with the Abit mobo? They lower the RPM when the CPU is not under a heavy load to reduce noise, and speed it up when it needs more cooling.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that is allright thing to happen, if the cpu start working it requires more watt power from the power supply which will up the power on the cpu fan header as well, if you listen really well it is noticable on all newer systems, no matter it is a pentium or athlon, telling this from my own observations, not a scientific sourse, but at least gives you an idea not to worry

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

G

Core73, I have the same thing going on. I also use the Enermax psu in a Vapochill case, so I don't have a cpu fan!!!
So, the sound is coming from the Abit mb or the enermax.
Find it a bit annoying...

G

cool, i thought i was imagining things.
i've got ABIT kt7a (NON-RAID)
t1000 with a FOP 32-1
mine also is cpu load dependant, it seems.
at first i was a little concerned, as i built the rig myself (hoping it wasn't about to fry before the overclocking could begin)

G

Well I think is really annoying !
Because I have 4x120mm case fan and these fan rpm is goes up even , under load and yes,its LOUD !!!
I think its a PSU !
But ! I had a P3-800 before with the same PSU and newer heard this thing !
Maybe this new KT7A-RAID is so tricky ?
Any idea ?

G

Actually it's the hamster inside the computer. Under heavy load the core temperature of the machine gets hot. The lil' hamsters feet start to burn so he has to move quickly to keep from getting scortched.

G

Thanx Sponge !

Its really helps a lot !

Beeing hit by a meteorite is an accident - everything else is a driver's fault!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by core73 on 04/10/01 10:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Bet you you've got a negative voltage leak somewhere on the frame. I used to have a voltage leak on my frame, and when I brushed the hair on my arm against the case metal, it felt like the hair was being pulled out of the folicle. I would look at my arm, and feel on the case for rough/catch areas, but no joy. I could touch the frame with bare skin, but as soon as any hair hit it, I'd start catching a couple of volts. I taped the ends of all the unused molex connectors, and the leak disappeared. I don't have to worry about my arm hair any longer. I'd given serious consideration to growing a beard, and sleeping next to the computer overnight so I'd never have to shave again =)

I seem to be able to explode lightbulbs by my very presence too, but that's another thread.....