My tiles

Hi all,

I am starting off a re-write of my old project WoT, I am deliberating
whether to use something similar to my old tiles or to make it simpler
and switch to some public domain tiles (for example the ones by David
E.Gervais ) that seem to look more professional. I have received various
feedback from people about my tiles, the comments seem to be mostly
positive but I have had some negative ones too.

The old project is pretty dead, and the website is very out of date, but
whoever can be bothered: have a look at the screenshots (or have a play)
and tell me what you think.

http://www.geocities.com/kostatus/

If I do use my own tiles, I plan to make them bigger than they are now.
(Also the window will be resizable.)

Of course I could try to use a mixture of both David's tiles and my own,
but that would most probably not be a good mix...

--
Kostatus
kostatus at ihug dot co dot nz

Kostatus wrote:
> The old project is pretty dead, and the website is very out of date, but
> whoever can be bothered: have a look at the screenshots (or have a play)
> and tell me what you think.

You could use couple of tricks to remove the flat look from those
tiles. Namely self-shadowing and shadows. I don't know the color
depth, but it looks like 16 color palette.. More colors make it
more interesting, but avoid using bright and saturated colors
(unless needed), like the flat bright green grass tile you have.
You can learn how artists use color and then apply that information
in your tiles. The good thing is that you don't need to improve
your drawing skills to get better results with colors.

TRENDING THREADS