P4 @2.2Ghz soon!!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Clock speed is not an issue. I'm sure the 2.2 will compete nicely with the T-bird 1.33...but by the time it comes out (end of year), it will be up against the new palaminos etc.

Show me a P4 with some real performance not just high clock speeds. Big numbers don't impress me anymore.

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In terms of pricing of P4s real quick. The cheapest P4s on pricewatch are like $480, but that is without the RIMMs. It seems like the cheapest P4s that include the 128 MB RDRAM is $650. The article says P4 prices will be cut by some 50%, so we're looking at 1.5 gHz for like $225 or so. 1.33 gHz Athlons are only $215 right now, but by the end of April we will probably also see AMD price cuts, as well as probably a faster TBird Athlon. Being that Palomino will be introduced at 1.533 gHz, we will probably see TBirds hittin 1.5 gHz max. The FiringSquad.com article about AXIA Athlons show that a 1.0 gHz TBird can hit 1.466 gHz without special cooling, which is pretty amazing. So, this move from Intel is pretty good in my opinion. Atleast Pentium 4s will not be priced in accordance with performance.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A 2.2GHz P4 will kick it. Way faster than anything now. And P4s will become cheaper real soon too. They will soon be a viable alternative to Palaminos. Who cares if the CPU is fast because of high Ghz or whatever. WHO CARES AS LONG AS ITS FAST AND CHEAP!

It ain't falling in the water that kills you; it's staying in there.

Deo

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Maybe Intel can try to reclaim their throne with there 2.2Ghz chip beating the AMD 1.33Ghz chip?

mmmmmmm.......elephant fresh......

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmm isn't the Palomino expected to reach 1.7 by the end of this year?

Also, wasn't Northwood due in September? If Intel releases the 2.2 as a Northwood chip, then it might have a chance. Otherwise Intel might as well sell raw blocks of silicon with some fake-gold pins hot-glued on for effect. :wink:

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Doesn't matter how fast Intel can push the clock on a P4. It requires more clock cycles to accomplish the same task as does an Athlon. Even at 2.2Ghz, the P4 will fight to keep up with an Athlon (except for Quake3).

The P4 is like a car that is stuck in first gear. Doesn't matter how fast the engine is running (RPM), you can't get any speed without shifting to a higher gear. Intel forgot to put the transmission in the P4. High clock speeds mean nothing.

Stop being taken in by Intel marketing. You should be smarter then that.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
Wow, can't believe they finally reached the 2 GHz... Who cares ? Man, i can buy 3 1.33GHz Athlons for the price of this P4 and each of 'em will be as fast as the Pentium. What's wrong with the race for top speed, customers are buying computers for what they can give 'em now... not in 2 years when software will finally be optimized.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair...

dhlucke

Polypheme
A 2.2 Ghz Northwood might. It probably will be a great processor bringing Intel out of it's rut. But you seem to forget that AMD exists and while the Northwood is released or a 2.2 Ghz williamette, so will a 1.7 Ghz Palamino. I'm willing to bet that a 2.2 Ghz Northwood will be competing with a 1.7 Ghz Palamino.

However, based on what I have seen so far Intel prices based on their name and their advertisement, so I believe that the AMD Palamino will be cheaper. So that leaves us in the same situation we are now: Buy one of two competing processors (clock speed doesn't mean anything), but get the AMD one cheaper.

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

leonov

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow that's amazing just imagine being able to do that only 8 months from now, that's real soon, yup.

I wonder if a better way of putting it is

"Intel MAY have a CPU running at 2.2GHz some time near the end of this year and it will PROBABLY perform well compared to chips which exist now"

Doesn't sound quite so impressive really when you take away the hype does it?

L

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your probably right but its going to be close which can only be good for us, the consumer :wink:

It ain't falling in the water that kills you; it's staying in there.