Roguelike compo!

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2005 7:30:46 PM

Hi.
As I'm a huge fan of roguelikes and know this place has a crowd that
knows what it's all about I thought I should post here about a
Roguelike compo that just has started.

The compo is about creating a roguelike using FreeBasic or QuickBasic
(FreeBasic is a freeware 32-bit basic compiler).

Read more here:
http://www.fbtk.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21

Even if you guys don't like to enter the compo (probaly since you guys
don't even touch the word BASIC anymore) you can always drop in and
take a look at the progress or come with some suggestions and ideas.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Jocke The Beast
http://jockethebeast.qbrpgs.com

More about : roguelike compo

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:33:58 AM

Jocke The Beast wrote:
> Hi.
> As I'm a huge fan of roguelikes and know this place has a crowd that
> knows what it's all about I thought I should post here about a
> Roguelike compo that just has started.
>
> The compo is about creating a roguelike using FreeBasic or QuickBasic
> (FreeBasic is a freeware 32-bit basic compiler).
>
> Read more here:
> http://www.fbtk.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21
>
> Even if you guys don't like to enter the compo (probaly since you guys
> don't even touch the word BASIC anymore) you can always drop in and
> take a look at the progress or come with some suggestions and ideas.

HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN

Mmm... time for the next 7DRL??? It would be interesting to program it
under the restrictions of QuickBasic ;)

WHAT YOU SAY?

--
Slash
http://peltkore.net/~szdev

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:30:46 -0700, Jocke The Beast wrote:

> Hi.
> As I'm a huge fan of roguelikes and know this place has a crowd that
> knows what it's all about I thought I should post here about a
> Roguelike compo that just has started.
>
> The compo is about creating a roguelike using FreeBasic or QuickBasic
> (FreeBasic is a freeware 32-bit basic compiler).
>
> Read more here:
> http://www.fbtk.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21

Hi Jocke, great to see you here. I remember you from my the days when I
was active on qbasicnews.com, and still lurk there enough to have
witnessed its recent untimely almost-death.

> Even if you guys don't like to enter the compo (probaly since you guys
> don't even touch the word BASIC anymore) you can always drop in and
> take a look at the progress or come with some suggestions and ideas.

I've long since moved on from DOS and BASIC and am just as ready to bash
its technical aspects as the next C guy. However, one great aspect of the
BASIC world is its friendly, close-knit community clustered around the
QBasic/FreeBASIC forums. FreeBASIC has made the language a bit more
32-bit/Unix friendly, and I might even bust out a copy and have a crack at
doing something. I think this competition has more merit than some people
might give it.

> Thanks for your time!
>
> Regards,
> Jocke The Beast
> http://jockethebeast.qbrpgs.com

--
Joe Walker
"Your life makes children cry!" (Sam, from "Sam & Fuzzy" by Sam Logan)

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:49:06 GMT, wrote

> <spam>

########
#......#
#..>...#
#....@.###
#.....T+
##########

- You swing at the usenet troll. You miss. The usenet troll sniggers
and mutters something under his breath.
- The usenet troll spams you! The usenet troll spams you! You yelp in
pain!
- You are confused!
- You stumble around in confusion. The usenet troll is feeling better
about his pittiful life.
- You have recovered your state of mind.
- You swing at the usenet troll, the hit connects! CRITICAL HIT! The
usenet troll has been successfully PLONKed!
- The usenet troll can no longer bear his pathetic existance and dies of
poor self-esteem.

--
Kostatus
kostatus 001 at ihug dot co dot nz

Jocke The Beast wrote:
> Hi.
> As I'm a huge fan of roguelikes and know this place has a crowd that
> knows what it's all about I thought I should post here about a
> Roguelike compo that just has started.
>
> The compo is about creating a roguelike using FreeBasic or QuickBasic
> (FreeBasic is a freeware 32-bit basic compiler).
>
> Read more here:
> http://www.fbtk.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21
>
> Even if you guys don't like to enter the compo (probaly since you guys
> don't even touch the word BASIC anymore) you can always drop in and
> take a look at the progress or come with some suggestions and ideas.
>
> Thanks for your time!

I've long since given up my BASIC days, but I'll definitely be keeping
an eye on this competition. I'm still a fan of your classic DOS game,
"Dark Woods", so I know that anything with your name on it is likely
to be solid gold. ;-)

Interested to see how this turns out. Might finally have a new burst
of RLs to play! Hurrah!

--
My projects are currently on hold, but I do have
some junk at the site below.

http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

June 26, 2005 12:17:32 AM

Timothy Pruett napisał(a):
[...]
> Interested to see how this turns out. Might finally have a new burst of
> RLs to play! Hurrah!

Indeed. After long waiting, I would be glad to see new roguelike games.
Maybe I will find some inpiration in them.

--
Milesss
m i l e s s s @ i n t e r i a . p l

Jocke The Beast wrote:
> Hi.
> As I'm a huge fan of roguelikes and know this place has a crowd that
> knows what it's all about I thought I should post here about a
> Roguelike compo that just has started.
>
> The compo is about creating a roguelike using FreeBasic or QuickBasic
> (FreeBasic is a freeware 32-bit basic compiler).
>
> Read more here:
> http://www.fbtk.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=21
>
> Even if you guys don't like to enter the compo (probaly since you guys
> don't even touch the word BASIC anymore) you can always drop in and
> take a look at the progress or come with some suggestions and ideas.

Ok, I see the competition is being made for two person teams... I would
like to enter the compo, if someone from rgrd is willing to join me it
would be interesting.. I just want to remember the times when I
programmed on Qbasic :)

> Thanks for your time!
>
> Regards,
> Jocke The Beast
> http://jockethebeast.qbrpgs.com

--
Slash
http://peltkore.net/~szdev
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:20:00 PM

Milesss ha escrito:
> SZDev - Slash napisal(a):
> [...]
> >
> > Ok, I see the competition is being made for two person teams... I would
> > like to enter the compo, if someone from rgrd is willing to join me it
> > would be interesting.. I just want to remember the times when I
> > programmed on Qbasic :)
> >

> Hmmm. Why not. It was not so long ago when I was using QBasic.
>
> Is FreeBasic much different?

I dont know... I have never gone into it...

But I think we must go for Qbasic 4.1 (was that the last version
number? dont remember :p )

--
Slash
Anonymous

[...]

--
Milesss
m i l e s s s @ i n t e r i a . p l

SZDev - Slash napisał(a):
[...]
>>>Ok, I see the competition is being made for two person teams... I would
>>>like to enter the compo, if someone from rgrd is willing to join me it
>>>would be interesting.. I just want to remember the times when I
>>>programmed on Qbasic :)
>>>

>>Hmmm. Why not. It was not so long ago when I was using QBasic.
>>
>>Is FreeBasic much different?
>

> I dont know... I have never gone into it...
>
> But I think we must go for Qbasic 4.1 (was that the last version
> number? dont remember :p )

I have ripped off QuickBasic 4.5 exe without BC.EXE compiler and QBasic
interpreter with help file, which has no version number.

--
Milesss
m i l e s s s @ i n t e r i a . p l

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:48:50 +0200, Milesss wrote:

> SZDev - Slash napisa(a):
> [...]
>>>>

>>>Hmmm. Why not. It was not so long ago when I was using QBasic.
>>>
>>>Is FreeBasic much different

[snip]

FreeBasic rose from the Qbasic community and is almost compatible by
design. As far as basics go, it's quite modern-- no 16-bit cruft, nice
compiler directives, etc. It has its own curses-style cursor positioning
thing, which could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how you look at
it. You could probably use ncurses or something anyway, since FB
interfaces well with C.

--
Joe Walker
"Your life makes children cry!" (Fuzzy, from "Sam & Fuzzy" by Sam Logan)

Milesss ha escrito:
> SZDev - Slash napisal(a):
> [...]
> >>>

> >>Hmmm. Why not. It was not so long ago when I was using QBasic.
> >>
> >>Is FreeBasic much different?
> >

> > I dont know... I have never gone into it...
> >
> > But I think we must go for Qbasic 4.1 (was that the last version
> > number? dont remember :p )
> >

> I have ripped off QuickBasic 4.5 exe without BC.EXE compiler and QBasic
> interpreter with help file, which has no version number.

Hey Miless, I sent you and email to m i l e s s s @ i n t e r i a . p
l, did it arrive???

!