We have recently restarted a campaign we put up a couple of years ago
and are at the beginning of an extended encounter. I am soliciting
advice on how to get started and what actions we might take.

Background, originally started in 2000 it took over two years to get to
level 8-9 players when we quit. We have a pretty standard group(wizard,
cleric, ranger, rogue, druid, arcane archer, and a couple of fighters)
Most of us are graduates of a military school and are members of a
black dragon platoon.

Basic old current adventure, Our company commander has been kidnapped
by Drow and we are trying to rescue him. After helping a dwarf town
fight off a gnome army they rearmed us and started us down the tunnels
& caverns to where we think the drow are. We have been underground for
about 2 months and killed lots of underground things the last encounter
being fighting through an umber hunk nation where dozens of large &
huge were dispatched. This is where we quit moments before our
perceived demise.

In January we started fighting out of last encounter and negotiated our
way through the rest of the uber hulk nation. We now find ourselves
pushed into a cavern that we think is the drow city or leads to it. The
only thing we know is the commander is being kept drugged in a cell
somewhere. What should we do now? We have no Drow experience and are
looking for ideas on things to expect and actions we might take.

Regards,
POCII

Heck, if this group can carry two months of water and rations, fight
through an Umber Hunk nation, then negotiate with Uber Hulks, a quick
jaunt to the surface is no big shakes.

And they're studly (hunky and hulky) enough not to need our help :)

"POCII" <pfoconn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> only thing we know is the commander is being kept drugged in a cell
> somewhere. What should we do now? We have no Drow experience and are
> looking for ideas on things to expect and actions we might take.

Doesn't that take a lot of the fun out of the game? I'm reading this right,
right? You want in-game information about NPCtypes to use from a metagame
perspective to assist you, the players, in making decisions for your
characters?

Not fer nothin, but it sounds to me like you're missing the point entirely.
Personally, I would have made sure that our mage did a bit of research on
"underground stuff" before venturing into the caves and caverns of the
underworld. But, two months in, it's a little late for a jaunt to the
surface, eh?

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Jeff Goslin wrote:
> "POCII" <pfoconn@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> only thing we know is the commander is being kept drugged in a cell
>> somewhere. What should we do now? We have no Drow experience and are
>> looking for ideas on things to expect and actions we might take.
>
> Doesn't that take a lot of the fun out of the game? I'm reading this
> right, right? You want in-game information about NPCtypes to use
> from a metagame perspective to assist you, the players, in making
> decisions for your characters?
>
> Not fer nothin, but it sounds to me like you're missing the point
> entirely. Personally, I would have made sure that our mage did a bit
> of research on "underground stuff" before venturing into the caves
> and caverns of the underworld. But, two months in, it's a little
> late for a jaunt to the surface, eh?

At 8th-9th level? All they need is for the Wizard to have access to
Teleport.

Gotta agree, though, that seeking out-of-game knowledge as a basis for
in-character action seems a little cheap.

--
Mark.

drow

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004

Alien mind control rays made POCII <pfoconn@gmail.com> write:
> only thing we know is the commander is being kept drugged in a cell
> somewhere. What should we do now? We have no Drow experience and are
> looking for ideas on things to expect and actions we might take.

kill things, take their stuff. i mean, duh.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/>
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"drow" <drow@bin.sh> wrote in message
> Alien mind control rays made POCII <pfoconn@gmail.com> write:
> > only thing we know is the commander is being kept drugged in a cell
> > somewhere. What should we do now? We have no Drow experience and are
> > looking for ideas on things to expect and actions we might take.
>
> kill things, take their stuff. i mean, duh.

Sounds like good advice for you, especially since it came from an actual
drow.

DM

"Peter Knutsen" <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote in message
> That's long. A D&D 3rd Edition campaign is supposed to take
> the PCs from 1st to 20th level in 6 months, assuming weekly
> sessions (if we assume 6 hours per session, when we're
> talking 150 hours of total play time, or maybe a little more).

That's ALMOST one full level per session. One session you're worried about
orcs killing you, next month you're wondering how many rounds it will take
to kill a dragon, whether it's going to be one round or two! Sheesh, it's
not a wonder that people here seem to have no concept of what roleplaying is
all about! Talk about not having time to develop characters! You'd be
spending so much time adding skills and feats and improving your characters
as they level that it's a wonder you have time to do anything else!

Such a rate of advancement would be unheard of in our campaign. As a
general rule, each level takes 4-5 sessions of play to advance a level in
our campaign. We've been playing every other week for about 9 months now( =
4.5 months of weekly play), usually 8 hours a session, and our average level
is around 6th.

> Why did the characters advance so slowly?

Why do characters advance so quickly under the new system? It would seem
that one would need at least a session to get used to new mechanics, spells,
feats, skills and so on, that accompany a new level. By the time you've
gotten used to your character and his abilities, they change again! Plus
which, during that time, you have to find time to develop a persona for the
character itself, something that would not be easy to do if you're
continually trying to get used to the new abilities of your character. Of
course, from what I understand, that's no longer a requirement of
roleplaying under 3E, so I guess it wouldn't be a problem, since all
roleplaying has been replaced by skill rolls. Ah well. Have fun tinkering
with your paper tigers... I prefer to play characters, myself.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:
> That's long. A D&D 3rd Edition campaign is supposed to take
> the PCs from 1st to 20th level in 6 months, assuming weekly
> sessions (if we assume 6 hours per session, when we're
> talking 150 hours of total play time, or maybe a little more).

> Why did the characters advance so slowly?

Well, I don't know about him, but many of us old gamers are
used to campaigns that last longer, so we adjusted the exp
rate to slow things down (and the treasure similarly). My
old campaign started with 1st levels in 1996, and is still
going strong even after we converted to 3rd edition, then
3.5 ... The players are nearly 14th level now, and will
probably reach 15th by next year sometime. :)

DM70 <dgmiller@sccoast.netspam> wrote:
> Sounds like good advice for you, especially since it came from an actual
> drow.

Actually, that makes me suspicious - the 'actual
drow' may be trying to get them to rush in blindly
and get killed by his kindred. Maybe he gets a
commission? :)

Create Food & Water feeds 3 humans per 3rd level spell, and an 8th
level cleric has 3+1 (+ a maybe few from Wis bonus) spells.

If their one cleric can use most of his 3rd level spells to meet the
party's nutritional needs, and still have no problem curing the other
seven party members FOR TWO MONTHs, they're pretty studly.

(OK, the druid can help with the cures, and they may have potions and
scrolls, but still....)

Anyway, you missed the point. I was razzing the OP about his typos
(Umber Hu_n_k nation, U_b_er Hulks). "Hunks" sound very muscle-y, and
"Uber" hulks are better than a regular mensch hulk, no?

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:19:25 -0500, "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net>
scribed into the ether:

>"Peter Knutsen" <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote in message
>> That's long. A D&D 3rd Edition campaign is supposed to take
>> the PCs from 1st to 20th level in 6 months, assuming weekly
>> sessions (if we assume 6 hours per session, when we're
>> talking 150 hours of total play time, or maybe a little more).
>
>That's ALMOST one full level per session. One session you're worried about
>orcs killing you, next month you're wondering how many rounds it will take
>to kill a dragon, whether it's going to be one round or two!

A baby white dragon is a CR1 monster. Perfectly suitable for brand new
adventurers.

> Sheesh, it's
>not a wonder that people here seem to have no concept of what roleplaying is
>all about!

Roleplaying has nothing to do with advancement speed.

>> Why did the characters advance so slowly?
>
>Why do characters advance so quickly under the new system? It would seem
>that one would need at least a session to get used to new mechanics, spells,
>feats, skills and so on, that accompany a new level.

To you maybe. Most people can understand mechanics, spells, feats, skills,
and so on, without ever actually playing.

> Of
>course, from what I understand, that's no longer a requirement of
>roleplaying under 3E, so I guess it wouldn't be a problem, since all
>roleplaying has been replaced by skill rolls.

As has been exceedingly well covered already, you have no inkling of
understanding. Please refrain from commenting on things that you know
absolutely nothing about, unless you are willing to actually have the open
mind you declared last time, and want to learn.

"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
> >That's ALMOST one full level per session. One session you're worried
about
> >orcs killing you, next month you're wondering how many rounds it will
take
> >to kill a dragon, whether it's going to be one round or two!
>
> A baby white dragon is a CR1 monster. Perfectly suitable for brand new
> adventurers.

Well, I guess I used dragon as an example because every DM I have every
played with has upped the difficulty of dragons to "extreme", given that
they are the namesake of the game. Our party found themselves in a
situation where an adult green dragon wasn't playing nicely with
others(surprise surprise). The mage did a bit of research to determine if
the party of (then) 5th level adventurers, 8 of them, could handle it. The
answer was very clear: Not a chance in hell. I have a feeling that the
dragon in question is going to have free reign for quite some time.

> Roleplaying has nothing to do with advancement speed.

Except that in this game, as in life, "character building" is about
overcoming adversity, in a variety of ways. If characters are advancing too
quickly, they are obviously not EARNING their way, and they do not build
real "character". Call it "new toy syndrome". Quite simply, players have
too much giddy childish fun beating on things with their latest feat, skill,
spell or ability to worry about that pesky little role playing thing.

Anything not earned has it's value diminished. A campaign where experience
is given out like candy to begging children is a campaign where the value of
that experience is niether learned nor appreciated, and the lessons
supposedly learned by the characters are never employed by the players, so
it becomes pointless to even give the experience points out, except to
satisfy the incessant grubbing of the players to max out their characters.

There is a fine line between "just the right amount", and giving too little
or giving too much. Too much, and the reward is not appreciated in the
manner it is intended to represent. Too little and the risk is considered
unjustified in comparison to the reward, leaving a bitter taste in the
players mouths, left playing characters who never advance despite all their
efforts.

To advance a level EVERY SESSION steps way past "too much", right into
"abject insanity". Quite simply, the game itself might as well consist of
players writing out a character, and then simply upgrading that character,
without actually doing anything. While the exercise may be fun n all that
to the min/maxer and power gamer, such a lack of respect for the concepts of
game balance can only lead to disdain for the entire process in the end,
assuming the players grow beyond a hack n slash player.

This assumption is a huge leap, from what I understand, given that it would
appear that nobody at all is interested in what I would consider roleplaying
any longer, and instead concentrates on dice and stats. That's fine, I
guess, whatever floats yer boat, but let's just say that I prefer to play
roles when I roleplay, not just apply modifiers to dice rolls.

> >Why do characters advance so quickly under the new system? It would seem
> >that one would need at least a session to get used to new mechanics,
spells,
> >feats, skills and so on, that accompany a new level.
>
> To you maybe. Most people can understand mechanics, spells, feats, skills,
> and so on, without ever actually playing.

To me, your statement above is indicative of the very problem I refer to.
Even in a skill based system like what is apparantly the backbone of 3E D&D,
it is the application of those skills to situations that makes them useful,
not the skills themselves. Even I, the lowly 2E idiot that I am, understand
the basics of the mechanics in question(they are quite elegantly simple,
actually), but still that does not even begin to address the application of
these skills in meaningful and game related ways. In other words, you can
have a list of skills as long as your arm, but without the play time put in
to apply those skills to game situations, they will be little more than
words on paper. This time is the time that one needs to "get used to" the
new abilities of your character, not the simple comprehension of the
mechanics.

By advancing so rapidly, you either pare yourself down to a few standard
actions based on those skills, or you ignore them altogether. You simply
don't have time to use ingenuity to apply those skills in appropriate ways
to overcome adversity in the game, because you are advancing so rapidly that
situations do not present themselves that are not solved by simple
application of your abilities, "apply sledgehammer here" mentality. By the
time you apply it once, you've already advanced to the next level, where you
must reconsider your entire character and the application of the skills and
feats he has.

Not that a fine 3E roleplayer such as yourself would ever worry about such
things. You just can't wait til next week when you jump from being able to
cast magic missile for the first time to the point where you can teleport
across the continent!

> As has been exceedingly well covered already, you have no inkling of
> understanding. Please refrain from commenting on things that you know
> absolutely nothing about, unless you are willing to actually have the open
> mind you declared last time, and want to learn.

I have an open mind, I have evaluated the current accepted standard of D&D
roleplaying, and found it to be SICKENINGLY WANTING. That people who call
themselves role playing gamers would stoop to such shallow depths sickens my
very soul. It makes me want to vomit that it seems to be a clear concensus
that roleplaying not involve what has been the mainstay of roleplaying games
since their inception, the concept that a role must be played.

Frankly, you can consider my mind open or closed in this regard, and I have
no doubt what you would choose. But I don't even want to be associated with
3E D&D players if they roll dice to determine outcomes of roleplaying
interactions.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

On 23 Feb 2005 11:24:09 -0800, alordofchaos@yahoo.com carved upon a
tablet of ether:

> Heck, if this group can carry two months of water and rations, fight
> through an Umber Hunk nation, then negotiate with Uber Hulks, a quick
> jaunt to the surface is no big shakes.

Who said they carried all that food and water? Create Food & Water is
well within their grasp. If there's an umber hulk nation, there's food
for the hulks that they could well be able to eat.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

In article <uYadnQuFWpms74DfRVn-vA@comcast.com>,
Jeff Goslin <autockr@comcast.net> wrote:
>course, from what I understand, that's no longer a requirement of
>roleplaying under 3E, so I guess it wouldn't be a problem, since all
>roleplaying has been replaced by skill rolls. Ah well. Have fun tinkering
>with your paper tigers... I prefer to play characters, myself.

Please, don't get us started on that again!

Oops, too late.

"David Alex Lamb" wrote
> In article Jeff Goslin wrote:
> >course, from what I understand, that's no longer a requirement of
> >roleplaying under 3E, so I guess it wouldn't be a problem, since all
> >roleplaying has been replaced by skill rolls. Ah well. Have fun
tinkering
> >with your paper tigers... I prefer to play characters, myself.
>
> Please, don't get us started on that again!
>
> Oops, too late.

He cant stop now! I want to know if his Little Doggy ever managed to buy
Park Place before the Evil Top Hat did.

John

In article <l5ednVD6jOH_MoDfRVn-vg@comcast.com>,
"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote:

> Well, I guess I used dragon as an example because every DM I have every
> played with has upped the difficulty of dragons to "extreme", given that
> they are the namesake of the game.

Reality is trying to tell you something Jeff. Reality is saying that
your pitifully impoverished and uniform roleplaying experience is not
representative of the hobby in general. Once you've grasped this, and
recognised that you don't actually know a lot about the hobby in
general, you can begin to learn.

> > Roleplaying has nothing to do with advancement speed.
>
> Except that in this game, as in life, "character building" is about
> overcoming adversity, in a variety of ways. If characters are advancing too
> quickly, they are obviously not EARNING their way, and they do not build
> real "character". Call it "new toy syndrome". Quite simply, players have
> too much giddy childish fun beating on things with their latest feat, skill,
> spell or ability to worry about that pesky little role playing thing.

Whoops, my bad.

I think you might have to add another nugget of wisdom to your mental
menu. This one is "Reality does not conform to the predictions I, Jeff
Goslin, pull out of my arse based on no experience or knowledge
whatsoever".

> This assumption is a huge leap, from what I understand, given that it would
> appear that nobody at all is interested in what I would consider roleplaying
> any longer, and instead concentrates on dice and stats. That's fine, I
> guess, whatever floats yer boat, but let's just say that I prefer to play
> roles when I roleplay, not just apply modifiers to dice rolls.

This has been explained to you patiently and repeatedly.

Many groups play a role when they roleplay, almost all in fact. The
quirk that makes you unusual is that as well as playing a role when you
roleplay, you are fixated on resolving social conflicts with an improv
mini-game. This is compatible with but not remotely necessary to
playing a role.

Except that your players, as we have established, aren't playing a role
in the sense that they aren't putting fidelity to the in-game character
ahead of a metagame desire to "win". So there is an important sense in
which you guys are *not* roleplaying, and many other groups are.

> I have an open mind, I have evaluated the current accepted standard of D&D
> roleplaying, and found it to be SICKENINGLY WANTING. That people who call
> themselves role playing gamers would stoop to such shallow depths sickens my
> very soul. It makes me want to vomit that it seems to be a clear concensus
> that roleplaying not involve what has been the mainstay of roleplaying games
> since their inception, the concept that a role must be played.
>
> Frankly, you can consider my mind open or closed in this regard, and I have
> no doubt what you would choose. But I don't even want to be associated with
> 3E D&D players if they roll dice to determine outcomes of roleplaying
> interactions.

Myself, I don't get a lot of joy out of people who break character to
win. I'm far more interested in the story and interplay that develops
when people maintain fidelity to character than I am in gaming Jeff
Goslin to get a positive outcome for my character. So bear in mind that
your own failings as a roleplayer would likely make you unwelcome at a
lot of tables as well.

Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 05:40:30 -0500, "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net>
scribed into the ether:

>"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
>> >That's ALMOST one full level per session. One session you're worried
>about
>> >orcs killing you, next month you're wondering how many rounds it will
>take
>> >to kill a dragon, whether it's going to be one round or two!
>>
>> A baby white dragon is a CR1 monster. Perfectly suitable for brand new
>> adventurers.
>
>Well, I guess I used dragon as an example because every DM I have every
>played with has upped the difficulty of dragons to "extreme", given that
>they are the namesake of the game. Our party found themselves in a
>situation where an adult green dragon wasn't playing nicely with
>others(surprise surprise). The mage did a bit of research to determine if
>the party of (then) 5th level adventurers, 8 of them, could handle it. The
>answer was very clear: Not a chance in hell. I have a feeling that the
>dragon in question is going to have free reign for quite some time.

An adult green dragon is a CR12 opponent. That's a TPK every time vs 5th
level characters.

>> Roleplaying has nothing to do with advancement speed.
>
>Except that in this game, as in life, "character building" is about
>overcoming adversity, in a variety of ways. If characters are advancing too
>quickly, they are obviously not EARNING their way, and they do not build
>real "character".

Role playing is not about having your 10 year old wizard being forced to
rake the back yard because it "builds character".

This is why everyone in this newsgroup says you do not understand
roleplaying...because you don't. Every time you try to give examples of it,
you only cement this fact further. Overcoming adversity most certainly
*CAN* be roleplaying, but it does not define it. If I play a character that
is afraid of heights, it could be that this impediment never has any
bearing during the course of gameplay...or the character could be forced to
walk a tightrope to save his comrades. One is overcoming adversity, the
other is not, both are roleplaying. Roleplaying is what the character IS,
not what the character DOES.

>To advance a level EVERY SESSION steps way past "too much", right into
>"abject insanity".

13.3 equal-CR encounters in one play session is quite a lot. Consistantly
obtaining a level per play session is going to be pretty rare.

>> >Why do characters advance so quickly under the new system? It would seem
>> >that one would need at least a session to get used to new mechanics,
>> >spells, feats, skills and so on, that accompany a new level.
>>
>> To you maybe. Most people can understand mechanics, spells, feats, skills,
>> and so on, without ever actually playing.
>
> In other words, you can
>have a list of skills as long as your arm, but without the play time put in
>to apply those skills to game situations, they will be little more than
>words on paper. This time is the time that one needs to "get used to" the
>new abilities of your character, not the simple comprehension of the
>mechanics.

And I reiterate that most people have little to no difficulty in
comprehending mechanics without playing them. I do not need to "get used
to" the improved critical feat after I take it. I completely and fully
understood exactly what it would do as soon as I finished reading the
relevant rules.

>Not that a fine 3E roleplayer such as yourself would ever worry about such
>things. You just can't wait til next week when you jump from being able to
>cast magic missile for the first time to the point where you can teleport
>across the continent!

Hyperbole is certainly the way to make a convincing arguement. I also like
how you again try to attach roleplaying ability to advancement speed when
there is absolutely no correlation. I can roleplay with no game mechanics
at all, the inclusion of game mechanics does not impair me in the
slightest.

>> As has been exceedingly well covered already, you have no inkling of
>> understanding. Please refrain from commenting on things that you know
>> absolutely nothing about, unless you are willing to actually have the open
>> mind you declared last time, and want to learn.
>
> That people who call
>themselves role playing gamers would stoop to such shallow depths sickens my
>very soul.

Maybe you need to step back and remember that this is a game.

> It makes me want to vomit that it seems to be a clear concensus
>that roleplaying not involve what has been the mainstay of roleplaying games
>since their inception, the concept that a role must be played.

That has not been the mainstay that I can ever recall. Since your
underlying premise is wrong, any assumptions you make on that basis will be
horribly flawed.

>Frankly, you can consider my mind open or closed in this regard, and I have
>no doubt what you would choose. But I don't even want to be associated with
>3E D&D players if they roll dice to determine outcomes of roleplaying
>interactions.

That's because you are a very bad roleplayer who does not understand what
it is about.

Matt Frisch wrote:
> Jeff Goslin scribed into the ether:
> >
> > Our party found themselves in a situation where an adult green
> > dragon wasn't playing nicely with others(surprise surprise).
> > The mage did a bit of research to determine if the party of
> > (then) 5th level adventurers, 8 of them, could handle it. The
> > answer was very clear: Not a chance in hell.
>
> An adult green dragon is a CR12 opponent. That's a TPK every
> time vs 5th level characters.

And dragons are often slightly under-CR'ed. That said, where do you
get off bringing up *reasonable* explanations of a *math* problem in
D&D 3e to Goslin? That has *NOTHING* to do with roleplaying, and you
might as well be playing Monopoly!

> > To advance a level EVERY SESSION steps way past "too much",
> > right into "abject insanity".
>
> 13.3 equal-CR encounters in one play session is quite a lot.
> Consistantly obtaining a level per play session is going to
> be pretty rare.

My games generally advance once every 2 to 3 sessions. We use the
*exact* guidelines for wealth and XP, since both I and the other DM
are using published adventure paths (me: Shackled City from Dungeon;
him: the published Eberron adventure series).

> > In other words, you can have a list of skills as long as
> > your arm, but without the play time put in to apply those
> > skills to game situations, they will be little more than
> > words on paper. This time is the time that one needs to
> > "get used to" the new abilities of your character, not
> > the simple comprehension of the mechanics.
>
> And I reiterate that most people have little to no
> difficulty in comprehending mechanics without playing
> them. I do not need to "get used to" the improved
> critical feat after I take it. I completely and fully
> understood exactly what it would do as soon as I
> finished reading the relevant rules.

In Goslin's "defense", he's never seen cleanly understandable rules.
He plays 2nd ed, remember? He clearly can't conceive of a ruleset
where reading the rules actually gives you enough knowledge of them to
easily think of tactics, strategy, utility and so on.

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.

"John Phillips" <jsphillips1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> He cant stop now! I want to know if his Little Doggy ever managed to buy
> Park Place before the Evil Top Hat did.

The end is nigh for that little bastard, I tell ya! Today, the "Jail to
Free Parking" side, tomorrow, the world!

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 06:40:17 -0500, "Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net>
scribed into the ether:

>"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
>> >Well, I guess I used dragon as an example because every DM I have every
>> >played with has upped the difficulty of dragons to "extreme", given that
>> >they are the namesake of the game. Our party found themselves in a
>> >situation where an adult green dragon wasn't playing nicely with
>> >others(surprise surprise). The mage did a bit of research to determine
>if
>> >the party of (then) 5th level adventurers, 8 of them, could handle it.
>The
>> >answer was very clear: Not a chance in hell. I have a feeling that the
>> >dragon in question is going to have free reign for quite some time.
>>
>> An adult green dragon is a CR12 opponent. That's a TPK every time vs 5th
>> level characters.
>
>Yes, if there were 4 of them. I have been under the impression that CR
>ratings are based on the assumption of 4 party members. With 8 party
>members, theoretically, they should be able to survive an encounter with a
>CR10 monster, at least that's how I understand the CR ratings. Agreed with
>the TPK analysis, but still, it was closer than you originally thought.

Not really. The CR system gets really blown out of the water when you have
significantly different values. This is especially true of dragons. The
game makes a special point of telling the DM that giving characters a 4+ CR
opponent is asking for big problems.

An adult green dragon's fear aura requires a DC23 check, and 5th level
characters would be lucky to have a +6 will save bonus (and that would only
apply to high wisdom clerics and monks). A vast army of level 5s would
spend the entire fight cowering in terror while the dragon pelts them with
a DC25 reflex save acid cones, which will inflict ~42 points of unsaved
damage. That level of damage will reduce any non-fighter to a puddle of
goo, and most fighter classes as well. No level 5 could possibly survive 2
such applications, which with a good die roll on the dragon's part can come
within the space of 3 rounds. Not that it really needs such overkill. Its
27 AC means that only 16+ strength fighting classes could hit it on less
than a natural 20. It's 5/magic damage resistance means that the few blows
that land at all will inflict minimal damage. It could melee them with near
impunity.

An adult green dragon would inflict mass slaughter on level 5s in mind
boggling quantities and with incredible ease. Even if they brought enough
people to beat it, their casualty rate would be pyrrhic at best.

>This is personal opinion, of course, but dragons have always represented a
>special category of monsters in any campaign I've ever been involved in.
>They aren't simply "tough monsters to beat", they are the stuff that legends
>are made of. Defeating them is meant to cap an adventuring career, not
>simply be a milestone within it. I have always found that increasing the
>toughness of dragons and decreasing their frequency makes for an absolutely
>fabulous way to heighten the drama of the encounter, instead of making it
>just another run of the mill battle.

There is room for a lot of things. The ability to put in really *really*
powerful dragons is well within the rules. Great Wyrm Reds are a supreme
challenge even to a group of level 20s. Encountering weaker dragons can be
one heck of an adventure hook for later in the game. Dragons have possibly
the greatest potential of any standard monster to be influential in the
game world.

Check: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/wn for some really
fleshed out dragons. They are FR based, but the personalities are the
important part, and those are pretty independant of the setting.

>> >Except that in this game, as in life, "character building" is about
>> >overcoming adversity, in a variety of ways. If characters are advancing
>too
>> >quickly, they are obviously not EARNING their way, and they do not build
>> >real "character".
>>
>> Role playing is not about having your 10 year old wizard being forced to
>> rake the back yard because it "builds character".
>
>Yes, that's true. I'm not suggesting that people role play defeating that
>insidious pile of leaves in the yard(FIREBALL! *foof*! *yells* "ALL DONE
>DAD!"). What I am suggesting is that advancing too quickly does not allow
>the character to truly value his own mortality.

You haven't seen the casualty rate in a 3.x game...

>quite simply, they never get a chance to really know what the
>character is all about.

Hogwash. I know what my character is all about before the game even starts.

> They find it difficult to give depth to a character
>who finds that proper application of a sledgehammer neatly, if bloodily,
>fixes 99% of their problems. Without ever experiencing setbacks, it is
>almost impossible for a player to lend depth to a character.

The players you play with are bad role players.

>Characters that fight orcs at tenth level would receive pretty much the same
>experience reward for ogres, despite a fourfold increase in toughness,
>because the combat is similar, an asswhipping meted out by the party on
>whomever might cross their path. If the encounter does not garner the
>characters any new experiences from which to grow, the characters don't get
>much XP for the fight.

Characters in 3.x that fight orcs at tenth level recieve no experience
whatsoever. Unless there are a *lot* of said orcs (hundreds...and even then
the xp gain would be meager).

>These are just examples of the overriding concern which is that PC
>advancement that happens to quickly leads to a necessarily shallow
>character, because the player ends up focussing on the stats over the
>substance.

Your players, maybe.

>> 13.3 equal-CR encounters in one play session is quite a lot. Consistantly
>> obtaining a level per play session is going to be pretty rare.
>
>It's funny, that's just what I thought, but according to a previous poster,
>a campaign from 1st to 20th levels for a party of 4 is supposed to last 6
>months of weekly gaming for 6 hours. 6 months is 26 weeks, 6 hours a week,
>that's 156 hours, divided by 20 levels, that's 7.8 hours per level.

I don't know where that 6 month figure is derived from. There is no
reference to it in the manuals that I can recall. 13 significant battles in
a game session is, in my experience, a lot.

>Now, knowing that one campaign is resting at around 8 hours per level and
>one campaign is running for 32 hours per level, you tell me, which campaign
>do YOU think will have characters with more depth, more "character"?

Since, as I've previously stated, advancement speed has no correlation to
roleplaying, my answer is: Insufficient information. You could *start* at
level 40 and have tremendous depth of character, and you could take 10 play
sessions to gain a level playing 3 times a week for 2 years and end up with
shallow munchkins.

It all depends on the quality of the players.

>> And I reiterate that most people have little to no difficulty in
>> comprehending mechanics without playing them. I do not need to "get used
>> to" the improved critical feat after I take it. I completely and fully
>> understood exactly what it would do as soon as I finished reading the
>> relevant rules.
>
>Mechanics of combat are fairly simple to get used to, but if the first thing
>you choose to use as an example is a combat mechanic, that tells me all I
>need to know about what you consider "role playing". It's sad, really.

Combat is by far the most complex mechanical aspect of the game. The
ability to understand *that* means that the simpler mechanisms are even
easier.

You are being nonsensical. As usual.

>Obviously you haven't a clue what I'm talking about. I refer to the use of
>non-combat skills in interesting and unique ways to overcome obstacles that
>are not combat related.

What sort of gibbering moron would require gameplay time to come up with
such things?

The only system within the game where practical use in the game can provide
real insight would be with spells. Like a wizard figuring out to use cone
of cold to freeze casks of water and make a ton of money selling ice to
nobles. Some spells carry a great deal of flexibility which isn't always
immediately obvious.

> Using skills in situations where "apply
>sledgehammer here" simply won't work is what really shows the grasp a player
>has of the application of the mechanics, not of the mechanics itself.

Ironic, since you don't even USE mechanics for these situations if the
players come up with a good enough story. Why would people bother to even
try understanding mechanics that won't even be used? Your players just make
up a good story, and you allow it, whether their characters would be
capable of such a task or not. Bad roleplaying.

>> Hyperbole is certainly the way to make a convincing arguement. I also like
>> how you again try to attach roleplaying ability to advancement speed when
>> there is absolutely no correlation. I can roleplay with no game mechanics
>> at all, the inclusion of game mechanics does not impair me in the
>> slightest.
>
>Let's say you make a character at the beginning of session1, and play that
>character right away, and until lvl20. Unless you make some VERY rapid
>decisions about this characters motivations and backround, decisions so
>rapid that you would not be able to make all the necessary decisions to
>create a truly deep character in the seconds you would have, the character
>would start off as a very shallow characters, about as deep as the paper
>it's written on.

Since unlike you I know how to roleplay; all of those decisions are made
BEFORE THE GAME EVEN STARTS. The character guides the stats, not the other
way around. Events in the game can have an effect on how my character
develops, but nobody I know (except I guess you and your players) bases
their character on the most recent level-up bennie they've received.

>Next, you're advancing at almost a level a session if you follow the
>advancement as a previous poster laid out. This means that in order to
>accomplish this, you have to be "resolving mechanics", be it combat, skill
>rolls, ability checks, whatever, near constantly. In other words, you would
>not have time to actually do any *REAL* character development, as you would
>be tied up in character mechanics the entire time.

Kindly do not project your mental limitations onto me.

>> > It makes me want to vomit that it seems to be a clear concensus
>> >that roleplaying not involve what has been the mainstay of roleplaying
>games
>> >since their inception, the concept that a role must be played.
>>
>> That has not been the mainstay that I can ever recall. Since your
>> underlying premise is wrong, any assumptions you make on that basis will
>be
>> horribly flawed.
>
>Since I started in '83, I have played in numerous campaigns with a variety
>of folks, at all times since then. Never once have I played in a campaign
>where playing roles was not considered intrinsic to the game.

Roleplaying is intrinsic to the game. Playing a role (which to you means
play-acting a role) is not. It's a distinction which despite our sincerest
efforts, you have been unable to grasp.

> I have to
>wonder how long you have been playing,

I got the D&D basic box with the knight and wizard on the cover (back when
Elf was a character class) in 1979. I picked up the 3 AD&D "core" books
shortly thereafter. Nice try though.

I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination in which
Jeff Goslin said...
> "Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
> > >Well, I guess I used dragon as an example because every DM I have every
> > >played with has upped the difficulty of dragons to "extreme", given that
> > >they are the namesake of the game. Our party found themselves in a
> > >situation where an adult green dragon wasn't playing nicely with
> > >others(surprise surprise). The mage did a bit of research to determine
> if
> > >the party of (then) 5th level adventurers, 8 of them, could handle it.
> The
> > >answer was very clear: Not a chance in hell. I have a feeling that the
> > >dragon in question is going to have free reign for quite some time.
> >
> > An adult green dragon is a CR12 opponent. That's a TPK every time vs 5th
> > level characters.

The most interesting part of this message is that you responded to Matt
but not Kevin. You did the same thing in the roleplaying thread -
utterly failed to respond to the reasoned, patient posts explaining the
views on roleplaying that are dominant in this group (after you yet
again hurled ridiculous strawmen at them), completely refusing to
contribute any of the reasoned discussion you claimed to want.

In that instance you responded only to the flames, then tried to pretend
they were the entirety of the responses. Just one problem, Jeff. I know
you think the world revolves around you and everything, but actually,
people are capable of reading posts other than yours, and most of them
are also capable of *understanding* them.

Having said that, I'll also correct a few points about the CR system.

> Yes, if there were 4 of them. I have been under the impression that CR
> ratings are based on the assumption of 4 party members.

Correct so far.

> With 8 party
> members, theoretically, they should be able to survive an encounter with a
> CR10 monster, at least that's how I understand the CR ratings.

Actually, no - CR 7 is more like it. CR is not linear, it's exponential.
Doubling the number of creatures adds 2 to CR.

Having said that, because of this exponential increase in power, once
the difference between CR and average party level hits 4 or 5, you're
treading in dangerous waters no matter how many PCs there are; Matt's
reply went into a bit more detail on this so I won't repeat it here.

As an aside, if you were right and the difference between the "right"
level and the CR was only two, this would *not* be begging for a TPK. It
would be a tough encounter, but well within the realm of what the PCs
are expected to tackle head-on at least once per adventure.

> That said, dragons in our campaign are supposed to be the epitome of
> encounters. If you can take on a full grown dragon and limp away
> victorious, you will have defeated what represents the ultimate threat in
> our campaign, deities not included, of course. They are both extremely rare
> and extremely tough, much tougher than the monster manual dictates them to
> be.

This is fine so long as it's clear to the players. Just don't take for
granted that it is.

> > 13.3 equal-CR encounters in one play session is quite a lot. Consistantly
> > obtaining a level per play session is going to be pretty rare.
>
> It's funny, that's just what I thought, but according to a previous poster,
> a campaign from 1st to 20th levels for a party of 4 is supposed to last 6
> months of weekly gaming for 6 hours. 6 months is 26 weeks, 6 hours a week,
> that's 156 hours, divided by 20 levels, that's 7.8 hours per level.

That was specific to one campaign, not the general rule. If you replace "6 months" with "24 months" you're closer to the standard rule.

<Snip bit where you confuse your opinions with objective facts, in the
process contradicting much of what you said in the earlier roleplaying
thread, because I don't feel like responding to it>

> > And I reiterate that most people have little to no difficulty in
> > comprehending mechanics without playing them. I do not need to "get used
> > to" the improved critical feat after I take it. I completely and fully
> > understood exactly what it would do as soon as I finished reading the
> > relevant rules.
>
> Mechanics of combat are fairly simple to get used to, but if the first thing
> you choose to use as an example is a combat mechanic, that tells me all I
> need to know about what you consider "role playing". It's sad, really.

I thought I agreed with your point when I first read it, but in light of
this response maybe I don't. It *does* take players a while to get used
to the full implications of new abilities, especially when everyone else
is sprouting new ones all the time too. I've had players complain about
this. 3E advancement *is* pretty fast, though nowhere near as much so as
you make out above.

> Obviously you haven't a clue what I'm talking about. I refer to the use of
> non-combat skills in interesting and unique ways to overcome obstacles that
> are not combat related.

If that's what you meant, my suggestion would be to say that next time,
not something completely different.

Why only outside of combat, especially given your stated loathing for
about half the mechanics that fit that description in 3E?

<snip repeat of exactly the same stuff I dismissed above, not even
worded significantly differently in some cases>

> > > It makes me want to vomit that it seems to be a clear concensus
> > >that roleplaying not involve what has been the mainstay of roleplaying
> games
> > >since their inception, the concept that a role must be played.
> >
> > That has not been the mainstay that I can ever recall. Since your
> > underlying premise is wrong, any assumptions you make on that basis will
> be
> > horribly flawed.
>
> Since I started in '83, I have played in numerous campaigns with a variety
> of folks, at all times since then. Never once have I played in a campaign
> where playing roles was not considered intrinsic to the game.

As Kevin explained quite patiently, that's not the problem. The problem
is that what you mean by "playing a role" is NOT "making the decisions
the character would", it is (to judge by the previous thread) "resolving
social situations by real-time acting". You can do either one of these
things without doing the other at all, and it sounds like that's exactly
what your players do (you admitted they will happily break character to
better achieve in-game goals, which is the *opposite* of role-playing in
the above sense).

And of course, the fact that you've been at this for a long time doesn't
mean your experience has been *broad* enough to take seriously. Indeed,
the fact that you only know of the one style (and seem downright proud
of that fact) suggests that it's been narrow indeed.

> > That's because you are a very bad roleplayer who does not understand what
> > it is about.
>
> I guess so. And here I thought role playing was about playing roles, silly
> me.

It is, the problem is that you have a quirky definition of "playing
roles".

Will you PLEASE respond to one of the posts, such as Kevin's in this
thread, that lays out in a non-insulting way the definitions you have
repeatedly claimed to want and the reasons your views seem benighted to
most of us? That way your claims to be interested in reasoned discussion
might, someday, come across as something other than a pathetic joke.

> >Yes, if there were 4 of them. I have been under the impression that CR
> >ratings are based on the assumption of 4 party members. With 8 party
> >members, theoretically, they should be able to survive an encounter with
> >CR10 monster, at least that's how I understand the CR ratings. Agreed
with
> >the TPK analysis, but still, it was closer than you originally thought.
>
> Not really. The CR system gets really blown out of the water when you have
> significantly different values. This is especially true of dragons. The
[analysis of dragon combat snipped]
> An adult green dragon would inflict mass slaughter on level 5s in mind
> boggling quantities and with incredible ease. Even if they brought enough
> people to beat it, their casualty rate would be pyrrhic at best.

Oh don't worry, I agree wholeheartedly, a party of 5th level adventurers
would get toasted rather handily, regardless of their size, when facing a
dragon.

> Check: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/wn for some really
> fleshed out dragons. They are FR based, but the personalities are the
> important part, and those are pretty independant of the setting.

Will do, thanks.

> >DAD!"). What I am suggesting is that advancing too quickly does not
allow
> >the character to truly value his own mortality.
>
> You haven't seen the casualty rate in a 3.x game...

That's exactly the point. If death is too frequent and too easily overcome,
the value of a single death is nullified. In a high-death,
high-resurrection campaign, death is hiccup in the path of an adventurer.
In our campaign, death is a MAJOR event.

Our campaign of (currently) 6th-ish level adventurers have had precisely 4
deaths take place. Of course, we use a variety of things to ensure that
people REALLY care about keeping their characters alive. Most specifically,
if you die, you lose a level or 1/3 of your experience point total,
whichever is less(this is an "our campaign house rule"). It helps to ensure
that players do everything possible to use their character's brains rather
than their brawn, to ensure their character's survival.

> Hogwash. I know what my character is all about before the game even
starts.

To this I say you haven't fully thought thru what you are saying. You know
a brand new character from front to back when you start playing him? To
quote someone else... "Hogwash".

> Characters in 3.x that fight orcs at tenth level recieve no experience
> whatsoever. Unless there are a *lot* of said orcs (hundreds...and even
then
> the xp gain would be meager).

So how, then, does one advance so rapidly as to gain a level a session? If
a party ALWAYS runs into creatures that are "of appropriate challenge", one
has to wonder how "lucky" those characters are to run into things that are
so deadly so frequently.

> I don't know where that 6 month figure is derived from. There is no
> reference to it in the manuals that I can recall. 13 significant battles
in
> a game session is, in my experience, a lot.

Yes. Our campaign tends to have TWO significant battles per 8 hour session,
as an average.

> Since, as I've previously stated, advancement speed has no correlation to
> roleplaying, my answer is: Insufficient information. You could *start* at
[snip]
> It all depends on the quality of the players.

This is true, but still, even high-caliber players who are burdened with
upgrading mechanics that would take up a chunk of each session, they would
spend an inordinate amount of time simply modifying their character's stats.
This would necessarily take away from the time spent developing character.

When I say "developing character" it is the overt traits that are most
important. How a character interacts with others in his world is ultimately
what will define what that character is "like", no matter what the
motivations and underlying reasons are for those interaction styles. In
other words, you can have all the backstory you like, but if it never comes
up in the game or affects the character's interactions with others, it's
hardly relevant, now is it?

The thing I'm trying to show is that rapid advancement takes up a chunk of
time that would otherwise be spent actually playing the character, rather
than improving it mechanically. The relative size of that chunk is what is
at issue. If a player takes 30 mins per level advanced to modify a
character appropriately and correctly, that's a total time of 10 hours time
spent in advancement for 20 levels. 10 hours out of 150 is a MUCH larger
chunk than 10 hours out of 600.

> Combat is by far the most complex mechanical aspect of the game. The
> ability to understand *that* means that the simpler mechanisms are even
> easier.

Again, it's not the mechanics that add depth to the character, so
understanding of the mechanics, complex or simple, is a moot point when it
comes to roleplaying. What matters is how the character applies his skills
to game situations, not the mechanics to resolve them. Yes, combat is the
most complicated mechanical procedure in the game, and yes, skill checks are
quite simple, but that doesn't mean that a player will be used to
application of a new skill as soon as he gets it. Without time to get used
to a character skill, feat, what have you, application of that skill is
going to remain simplistic and shallow, in other words, the character will
be played as shallow and simple.

> >Obviously you haven't a clue what I'm talking about. I refer to the use
of
> >non-combat skills in interesting and unique ways to overcome obstacles
that
> >are not combat related.
>
> What sort of gibbering moron would require gameplay time to come up with
> such things?

The kind of gibbering moron who expects that people come up with ideas to
solve their problems, rather than rolling to see if a wizard makes an
intelligence check and handing them the solution. Where's the fun in that?

> > Using skills in situations where "apply
> >sledgehammer here" simply won't work is what really shows the grasp a
player
> >has of the application of the mechanics, not of the mechanics itself.
>
> Ironic, since you don't even USE mechanics for these situations if the
> players come up with a good enough story. Why would people bother to even
> try understanding mechanics that won't even be used? Your players just
make
> up a good story, and you allow it, whether their characters would be
> capable of such a task or not. Bad roleplaying.

I am trying to view this from your perspective. In 3E, as I understand it,
mechanics are used to resolve the outcome of activities. Despite that, I
assume that the players have to declare their intent, beyond a simple, "I
make a 'solve problem' roll, YES! A TWENTY! I SOLVE THE PROBLEM! How did
I solve it?" It is the application of skills to overcome problems that can
never be captured by dice rolls.

Obviously, the determining of resolutions can be captured by dice(even if I
disagree with such a system), but determining what to do should fall to the
players. If you take THAT out of the players hands as well, you've just
removed the decision making from them as well as the role playing.

> Since unlike you I know how to roleplay; all of those decisions are made
> BEFORE THE GAME EVEN STARTS.

*ALL* of them? A character NEVER grows when you play it? Given the choice
between the lesser of evils, I would rather have a paper thin character to
start and grow from there, rather than having a fixed character for it's
entire lifespan!

Careful with the inclusive statements. Word like "all" lend a statement a
level of certainty that is rarely present in reality.

> >rolls, ability checks, whatever, near constantly. In other words, you
would
> >not have time to actually do any *REAL* character development, as you
would
> >be tied up in character mechanics the entire time.
>
> Kindly do not project your mental limitations onto me.

Do tell how you would role play if you were constantly required to roll
dice, which would necessarily be the case to gather enough experience to
level almost every session. Simply said, you wouldn't.

> >Since I started in '83, I have played in numerous campaigns with a
variety
> >of folks, at all times since then. Never once have I played in a
campaign
> >where playing roles was not considered intrinsic to the game.
>
> Roleplaying is intrinsic to the game. Playing a role (which to you means
> play-acting a role) is not. It's a distinction which despite our sincerest
> efforts, you have been unable to grasp.

That is because the difference has only appeared, it would seem, in 3E D&D.
If you so desired, you could "role play" in 3E by making decisions and
rolling dice. That concept is decidedly foreign to me.

> > I have to
> >wonder how long you have been playing,
>
> I got the D&D basic box with the knight and wizard on the cover (back when
> Elf was a character class) in 1979. I picked up the 3 AD&D "core" books
> shortly thereafter. Nice try though.

"Nice try"? You were the one who snipped my responses in both cases(short
time vs long time). There was no hidden agenda or implication there.

Ok, you've been playing a while, so it seems. Why then, would you NOT see a
problem with players spending almost 10% of their play time involved in
character upgrade mechanics?

--

"Jeff Heikkinen" <no.way@jose.org> wrote in message
> The most interesting part of this message is that you responded to Matt
> but not Kevin. You did the same thing in the roleplaying thread -

I responded to the original poster, and to any post that interested me
enough to respond to it. You *seriously* expect me to waste my time
responding to EVERY poster, despite the fact that, from my perspective, they
said nothing worthy of being responded to? I don't have unlimited time to
prattle on with dolts, you know.

> Having said that, I'll also correct a few points about the CR system.

Excellent!

> > With 8 party
> > members, theoretically, they should be able to survive an encounter with
> > CR10 monster, at least that's how I understand the CR ratings.
>
> Actually, no - CR 7 is more like it. CR is not linear, it's exponential.
> Doubling the number of creatures adds 2 to CR.

Is there a formula? I assume it's not (average party level) * (number of
party members/4), because THAT was the formula I was more or less using.

> As an aside, if you were right and the difference between the "right"
> level and the CR was only two, this would *not* be begging for a TPK. It
> would be a tough encounter, but well within the realm of what the PCs
> are expected to tackle head-on at least once per adventure.

Well, I was just using the knowledge of dragons to fill in the missing
parts. Two breath weapon usages and the party is cooked, at 5th level,
pretty much without exception. So, if they don't kill it in two rounds,
game over.

> > our campaign, deities not included, of course. They are both extremely
rare
> > and extremely tough, much tougher than the monster manual dictates them
> > be.
>
> This is fine so long as it's clear to the players. Just don't take for
> granted that it is.

Oh yes, absolutely. I have made it crystal clear that fighting a dragon is
both rare and EXTREMELY hazardous, and specifically stated that dragons are
far more powerful than their stats say in the monster manual.

> That was specific to one campaign, not the general rule. If you replace "6
months" with "24 months" you're closer to the standard rule.

Honestly, that sounds pretty much EXACTLY what I was thinking. Two years of
constant playing to reach 20th level sounds about right to me.

This "argument" stems from my disagreement that characters should advance
thru 20th level in 6 months, nothing more. As you will note, our rate of
increase is approximately 4 times as slow as what was described previously.
If we agree that 24 months of play should get a character to 20th level, we
are in TOTAL agreement, and we can shake hands and part ways.

> is sprouting new ones all the time too. I've had players complain about
> this. 3E advancement *is* pretty fast, though nowhere near as much so as
> you make out above.

Well, they might not complain because they view it as an improvement. The
complaints you get are probably coming from the most advanced of players who
actually WANT to play characters who have to overcome adversity the hard way
rather than just having a victory handed to them basically on a silver
platter.

> Why only outside of combat, especially given your stated loathing for
> about half the mechanics that fit that description in 3E?

Again, I was simply trying to see things from your perspective. You use
mechanics to resolve things inside the game, fine by me, I'll speak in terms
you understand.

> And of course, the fact that you've been at this for a long time doesn't
> mean your experience has been *broad* enough to take seriously. Indeed,
> the fact that you only know of the one style (and seem downright proud
> of that fact) suggests that it's been narrow indeed.

I've played with a variety of people, in a variety of gaming systems, in a
variety of locations, at a variety of times, with a variety of skill levels
of participants. Without exception, the style of play OTHERS had mirrored
my own. I have *NEVER* experienced a game where role playing in the sense I
describe was not commonplace.

> > I guess so. And here I thought role playing was about playing roles,
silly
> > me.
>
> It is, the problem is that you have a quirky definition of "playing
> roles".

Guess so.

> Will you PLEASE respond to one of the posts, such as Kevin's in this
> thread, that lays out in a non-insulting way the definitions you have
> repeatedly claimed to want and the reasons your views seem benighted to
> most of us? That way your claims to be interested in reasoned discussion
> might, someday, come across as something other than a pathetic joke.

Lemme see... Well, I just re-read his lone post, and do not see anything
worthy of being responded to.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

I seem to have experienced an extremely realistic hallucination in which
Jeff Goslin said...
> I responded to the original poster, and to any post that interested me
> enough to respond to it. You *seriously* expect me to waste my time
> responding to EVERY poster, despite the fact that, from my perspective, they
> said nothing worthy of being responded to?

Not every poster, only the ones you NEED to respond to to not look like
a narrow-minded, deeply hypocritical, raving lunatic. But I see trying
to reason with you on this point has been a complete waste of my time,
Kevin's, Sea Wasp's and that of numerous others. So to hell with it.

*plonk*

In article <6LudndIOkt3tM4LfRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
Jeff Goslin <autockr@comcast.net> wrote:
>"Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
>> >Obviously you haven't a clue what I'm talking about. I refer to the use
>of
>> >non-combat skills in interesting and unique ways to overcome obstacles
>that
>> >are not combat related.
>>
>> What sort of gibbering moron would require gameplay time to come up with
>> such things?
>
>The kind of gibbering moron who expects that people come up with ideas to
>solve their problems, rather than rolling to see if a wizard makes an
>intelligence check and handing them the solution. Where's the fun in that?

I just assumed Matt meant one thinks these things through between sessions.