New project: Dungeons of Relentless Killing!

That's right, I've started working on my own project, which I call Dungeons
of Relentless Killing (or DORK for short ;-). It's actually a module for a
roguelike engine I'm working on called MetaRogue. MetaRogue is being
written in Java, so if you want to play around with it, you'll need the
latest JRE, but it's been tested on Linux and Windows (don't have a Mac
around to try it out on ;-)

Currently there are only a few things to do in the "game":
Numpad (with numlock on): move & attack
5: rest and gain 1 HP
g: get item from floor
i: view inventory
w: wield item
e: view equipment
m: cast spell (currently a spell is listed but you can't cast it)

Download link:
http://kolis.dyndns.org/ed/prog/dork.zip
Please note that this is being hosted on my desktop PC, so the link may not
be all that reliable ;-)

I'd recommend that you run the "game" from the command line (though it is a
GUI application), as there's a bug in what's passing for a dungeon
generator which causes it to get stuck in an infinite loop sometimes, and
the only way you'd get any indicaton of this at this point is on the
command line.

If anyone's interested, I'll post the source for MetaRogue and DORK as
well...

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

Edward Kolis wrote:
> If that means what I think it means ("Yet Another Badly Done Roguelike"?),
> why not offer some constructive criticism? :-(
>
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>

> > YABDR.
> >
> > *sigh*

Constructive criticism ahead: please don't top-post. Thanks!

I don't know what Kornel means, but given his quoting, he may be
complaining about the fact that he would need to get the latest JRE to
test your game. Folks hereabouts are quite averse to releases which
require you to download some third-party product.

HTH
A.

YABDR

^^^ Which, by the way, shouldn't even be an issue. Playing results
aren't the only purpose of this newsgroup. I gather that many coders
don't even play roguelikes often, just code them in their spare time.

I thought it sounded like an interesting project. If done right, it
could
be like the Robotron 2084 or Smash TV of roguelikes, with the PC
terrifyingly outnumbered by brainless, marching hordes. I should say
that I haven't played the game, but the name, Dungeons of Relentless
Killing, suggests such a game to me. Even the 1 hitpoint per rest
turn suggests a furious hack, slash, cast, shoot game.

Other reference points could be Deadly Rooms of Death and Gauntlet.

Respectfully,
Bryce McQuern

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

Edward Kolis wrote:
> That's right, I've started working on my own project, which I call Dungeons
> of Relentless Killing (or DORK for short ;-). It's actually a module for a
> roguelike engine I'm working on called MetaRogue. MetaRogue is being
> written in Java, so if you want to play around with it, you'll need the
> latest JRE, but it's been tested on Linux and Windows (don't have a Mac
> around to try it out on ;-)
>
> Currently there are only a few things to do in the "game":
> Numpad (with numlock on): move & attack
> 5: rest and gain 1 HP
> g: get item from floor
> i: view inventory
> w: wield item
> e: view equipment
> m: cast spell (currently a spell is listed but you can't cast it)
>
> Download link:
> http://kolis.dyndns.org/ed/prog/dork.zip
> Please note that this is being hosted on my desktop PC, so the link may not
> be all that reliable ;-)
>
> I'd recommend that you run the "game" from the command line (though it is a
> GUI application), as there's a bug in what's passing for a dungeon
> generator which causes it to get stuck in an infinite loop sometimes, and
> the only way you'd get any indicaton of this at this point is on the
> command line.
>
> If anyone's interested, I'll post the source for MetaRogue and DORK as
> well...

I love the name. :)

I think most people on RGRD are unlikely to download DORK, though,
unless you describe some of its (current, not planned) features which
are not implemented in other Roguelike games...

A.

Edward Kolis wrote:
> That's right, I've started working on my own project, which I call Dungeons
> of Relentless Killing (or DORK for short ;-). It's actually a module for a
> roguelike engine I'm working on called MetaRogue. MetaRogue is being
> written in Java, so if you want to play around with it, you'll need the
> latest JRE, but it's been tested on Linux and Windows (don't have a Mac
> around to try it out on ;-)

YABDR.

*sigh*
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

> YABDR.
>
> *sigh*

Downloaded, launched and closed in about a minute because it is numpad
only and I have a laptop.

Lorenzo Gatti

Update: misfit white dialog boxes that need the mouse or TAB then space
to be closed are ugly. What's wrong with showing the inventory in a
text panel or instead of the map like everybody else?

Lorenzo Gatti

Edward Kolis wrote:
> If that means what I think it means ("Yet Another Badly Done Roguelike"?),
> why not offer some constructive criticism? :-(

No, it means Yet Another Born Dead Roguelike. As for criticism -- browse
RGRD archives. It's been said a hundred times.

But don't worry -- my opinions are my own, and in this case I represent
the minority of RGRD.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"From what I've read, a lot of people believe that GenRogue
exists and will be released some day" -- Arxenia Xentrophore

bamcquern@yahoo.com wrote:
> Yet Another Born Dead Roguelike.

Gratz. You got it right.
--

Antoine wrote:
> I love the name. :)

Ain't bad. But it's just a name.

> I think most people on RGRD are unlikely to download DORK, though,
> unless you describe some of its (current, not planned) features which
> are not implemented in other Roguelike games...

Yup. As for "planned features" I guess you won't be able to beat any of
our great "vapourware" projects anyway.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]
"Well, the philosophy of the World of Shadows is based on most of the
degenerate, immoral and foremost amoral philosophical beliefs of our
world exagarated to the maximum." --Anubis

gatti@dsdata.it wrote:
> Downloaded, launched and closed in about a minute because it is numpad
> only and I have a laptop.
>
> Lorenzo Gatti

My own project uses 1-9 for movement (well, 5 for non-movement)
and I don't have a real problem using it on the laptop. My
fingers wind up using the number row as a "home row" quite
effectively.

Hmmm. Must support input remapping....

Bear