G

Hi everyone, I am looking to upgrade my Slot 1 - PII 450MHz to a PIII processor of some type. I read the upgrade guide here, but I am still a little confused as to what I will be able to upgrade to. Here is my system info. Btw, I've ordered the latest BIOS, so I'm ok on that front.

In any case, this is the current setup with the old BIOS still in place:
BIOS Date: 08/04/98
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 08/04/1998-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KSMAC-00
BIOS Eval: SP-P2BXA VER:B.3
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 2
Superio: Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h

My motherboard documentation doesn't specify what voltage it supports and just says "Auto." The board supports FSB of 66/100 MHz. Also according to the documentation, I have jumper settings on my board which can be set to a maximum of 5.5x

So I'm confused about several things, and I'm hoping I can get some help from you all =)

1) Does this mean I will only be able to upgrade to P3 550MHz at maximum? Or will by new BIOS be able to support higher speeds despite the motherboard stats of 100 mhz fsb with 5.5 multiplier?

2) If I am able to upgrade to beyond 550Mhz, I am under the impression that I have 2 options:
a) Buy a P3 850 MhZ Slot 1 with 100mhz FSB
b) Or buy a P3 850 MHz FC-PGA with 100mhz FSB, and also the slot converter board.

My questions are: a) If I go with Slot 1, will I have voltage issues? Again, I don't know what voltage my motherboard supports... does having the same type slot in the upgraded CPU make this a non-issue?
b) If I go with the P3 850 FC-PGA, can someone direct to a place where I can purchase the appropriate converter board with proper voltage regulators?

Along that last line, if anyone can give me a recommendation for a good online retailer where I can buy everything I need for my upgrade in one shot, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for all your help! =)

G

If your multiplier really can't get beyond 5.5 I think you can't get over 550 mhz.
And you should also check if your mboard supports coppermine cpu's.