another fumble idea

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 24, 2005 12:03:49 AM

here's another. people who are trained with weapons simply do not drop
them in the middle of a life-or-death combat, unless they've found
sudden, dire need for a free hand, have been disarmed, or have been
rendered stupid or unconscious.

ta-da, easy. and you won't come off as some sort of flumph-bag DM
out to hinder and torment his players at any cost.

just my 2cp.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

More about : fumble idea

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:16:10 AM

drow <drow@bin.sh> wrote:
>here's another. people who are trained with weapons simply do not drop
>them in the middle of a life-or-death combat, unless they've found
>sudden, dire need for a free hand, have been disarmed, or have been
>rendered stupid or unconscious.

Rendered stupid makes me wonder - are there any spells that
make people clumsy/stupid/whatever enough that they're more
likely to suffer disastrous fumble results? There are spells
that can make you attack your allies, which is a common result
on fumble tables, but it's a different special effect than
a fumble would be.

Should there be spells that make people much more likely
to spectacularly screw the pooch in combat? It's an
interesting idea for a spell, certainly, and could easily
fit the atmosphere of any number of games, and it would
require the same sort of fumble rules that are being
argued now. The difference is, since it's a magical
effect that's deliberately intended to make competent
fighters screw up, it doesn't have to be nearly as
rare or balanced or whatever as a fumble rule that's
in effect at all times.

Pete
February 24, 2005 3:09:58 AM

On 23 Feb 2005 21:16:10 GMT, Peter Meilinger <mellnger@bu.edu> wrote:

>drow <drow@bin.sh> wrote:
>>here's another. people who are trained with weapons simply do not drop
>>them in the middle of a life-or-death combat, unless they've found
>>sudden, dire need for a free hand, have been disarmed, or have been
>>rendered stupid or unconscious.
>
>Rendered stupid makes me wonder - are there any spells that
>make people clumsy/stupid/whatever enough that they're more
>likely to suffer disastrous fumble results? There are spells
>that can make you attack your allies, which is a common result
>on fumble tables, but it's a different special effect than
>a fumble would be.

Bestow Curse is one spell that comes to mind.

--

Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen
!