Flashlight handling

Hi,

I'm experimenting with my horror RL and I came up with an idea to make
a directional flashlight, but controlled with a mouse. I know this
isn't actually in the spirit of roguelike games, but I decided to give
it a shot (my results can be found here:
http://dwunastka.szkoly.lodz.pl/~blah/flashlight.gif
http://dwunastka.szkoly.lodz.pl/~blah/flashlight2.gif , the LOS code
is poor, I know).
But, since the flashlight is controlled by the mouse, the problem is
with time-tracking. When should a turn occur? Do different speed mouse
moves change anything? What do you think about it?

PS. a) Excuse me for my bad english, I'm from Poland; b) This is my
first post on RGRD.

Hey that's pretty cool.

Here's one solution that I thought of. Once per turn, allow the player
to click on a tile on your map. You remember the location of this tile,
and illuminate the map in the direction the player pointed. So the
player can click and update his flashlight location every turn if he
wants. Otherwise just keep the flashlight pointing towards the tile
that was clicked on last.

It's not a perfect solution but it does keep the micromanagement of the
flashlight down (presumably the goal).

Note that with a real flashlight, you can shine it down (or up
indoors) and create a rough circle of light around yourself.

--
R. Dan Henry = danhenry@inreach.com
Dance, Puppet, dance!

Kronikarz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting with my horror RL and I came up with an idea to make
> a directional flashlight, but controlled with a mouse. I know this
> isn't actually in the spirit of roguelike games, but I decided to give
> it a shot (my results can be found here:
> http://dwunastka.szkoly.lodz.pl/~blah/flashlight.gif
> http://dwunastka.szkoly.lodz.pl/~blah/flashlight2.gif , the LOS code
> is poor, I know).
> But, since the flashlight is controlled by the mouse, the problem is
> with time-tracking. When should a turn occur? Do different speed mouse
> moves change anything? What do you think about it?

I had played with it in the preliminary designs of AlienBreedRL.
Unfortunately I think abandoned the idea of ABRL... well, maybe yet to
do for the next 7DRL compo...

> PS. a) Excuse me for my bad english, I'm from Poland; b) This is my
> first post on RGRD.

Yessss, this proves the non-Poles that we indeed have a goverment funded
Take-Over-The-World-With-Roguelike-Games project ;-).
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

On 2005-06-29 09:30:26, "Nolithius" <Nolithius@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Kronikarz" wrote in message
> [...]
> > and slowly stroking it another time.
> [...]
>
> >:]
>
> But seriously, the only way you'd be able to achieve the sort of things
> you're talking about is if the game were realtime. There's no way to have
> the player madly doing anything in a traditional RL where each turn can take
> infinite time.

[...]

Nope, you don't have to make the game realtime. See below for why...

> Also, I'd reccomend having the flashlight run out of batteries really quick
> so the player uses it wisely. An elegant way you can do this is to decrease
> the size of the light field as the batteries die out.

Why don't you just make the flashlight batteries real time, as opposed to the
whole game. That way the amount you use the flashlight is a tactical decision
but reflexes are not critical to the game play.

Andrew

--
Unangband L:C E+ T- R- P+ D-- G+(+) F:Sangband RL-- RLA-- W:F Q++
AI+(++) GFX++ SFX++ RN+++(+) PO++ Hp+++ Re--(+) S++ C- O* KG--