Sign in with
Your question

HDTV to a Monitor?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
October 7, 2012 1:23:22 PM

Hey Guys, Sorry to bother but this has been on my mind for a while. I am currently using a 28" Hannspree HDTV as my computer screen, mostly because it can actually output 1920x1200. However, I was in my college's IT head's room and seen his 1080p monitor, and I have to say that the image looked far sharper and more vibrant than my monitor. Would it have something to do with the pixel layout of an HDTV? Maybe designed to be view from a further distance, that aliasing look more pronounced and it must just be the hardware's fault that the colour range doesn't look as vibrant.

So long story short, Should I trade in my 28"HDTV for a similar sized monitor with better response time, contrast range and colour range?

More about : hdtv monitor

a b C Monitor
October 7, 2012 5:58:35 PM

How do you have your TV connected? How old is it? It has to do with the pixel layout as well as the technology used. You could trade it in if you were so inclined, but are you that dissatisfied with what you have? It will cost you around $3-400 to find a monitor of similar size at least.
Related resources
a c 99 C Monitor
October 11, 2012 11:12:47 AM

i still have yet to find a reputable source which documents this... but i do believe that monitors and televisions have different arrangements. wikipedia has a nice article on different pixel arrangements if you want to know what i am talking about. certain pixel arrangements seem to be better for viewing text and others seem to be better for viewing images.

text is noticibly clearer on a monitor than it is on a television or at least it does appear this way to me in every case i have seen so far.

remember that tv and monitor lcd panels come in all sorts of different sizes, types, pixel configuration (for tvs) and panel coatings.

a glossy panel coating will make colors pop out and appear vibrant but will introduce alot of glare. a matte finish will reduce glare but subdue colors. an anti glare coating will reduce glare but introduce sparkles or an effect similar to looking through clear sand.

some panels are more color accurate that others. for instance s-ips, p-ips and h-ips panels are more accurate than a tn or va panel. e-ips may be more color accurate than tn and va as well but i have not seen proof yet.

i described pixel arrangements already.

---

it is going to cost you a minimum of $300-400 to find something better. unless you are unhappy with your situation it might not be worth the money.
October 11, 2012 11:46:44 AM

Thanks for the info ^.^ It's just that I may be running a decent resolution but if the screen doesn't display it to it's full extent then I feel like I am wasting alot of performance to try and get it to a level close to what other screens look like at lower resolutions, in terms of quality. Also I noticed that the colours were off when after using photoshop and publishing a few pictures, my friend commented on how they looked too dull/vibrant depending on the picture.

I would not mind shelling out for a monitor close to that size. (as my brother is eyeing my TV atm so I may 'persuade' him to help me pay for this new monitor in exchange for the TV.) :3
a c 99 C Monitor
October 11, 2012 5:09:39 PM

what strikes me as odd is how you say the television supports 1920x1200. this is a 16:10 ratio and not the 16:9 televisions normally support (since they are either 720 or 1080p). do you get black bars when viewing standard widescreen (16:9) content? if not then do you ever notice stretching or shrinking of images to fit the screen?

smaller screens will always look sharper than larger screens. in terms of game performance equal sized screens should look comparable in terms of the level of detail they are able to show (as the pixels will be about the same size). pixel arrangement has a little to do with this as i mentioned above.

as far as how vivid a color looks, this is a whole different topic. things such as brightness levels, contrast, color temperature, graphics card calibrations, etcetera can make even two identical screens show images in different ways. next throw into the mix different panel types, backlight types and screen coatings. then on top of all this throw in the fact that no two eyes are exactly the same and can perceive colors differently. this makes it extremely hard to compare two screens unless you go through all of the steps.

if you want color accuracy you want at least an 6bit e-ips (since you can eliminate any issues with color shifting due to viewing angle that larger tn panels have). if you want even better i would say go with an 8bit ips panel. e-ips is likely to set you back about $300, 8bit ips could set you back $600 or more for only a 20-22" depending on models of course.

October 12, 2012 1:57:36 PM

When viewing content it did tend to stretch to accomodate the difference in ratio,
however I set it so that it remains a constant ratio to stop the image stretching as I'd
prefer black bars to content being warped.

On the note of screensize, what would you say would accomodate viewing large scale
pictures and technical drawings (Technology course at school as well as casual photo-editing)
Gaming, FPS games and RTS game types, and also viewing 3D and 2D digital media?
I am currently using quite a large screen at 28" would you advise a smaller size?
Also sorry to bother further, but would you know of any suitable brand to look for in
terms of monitors with high contrast ratios, high speed response times, colour range
and resolutions around 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 (1200 preferable)?
a c 99 C Monitor
October 15, 2012 12:01:03 PM

viewing or editing pictures and technical drawings? there is a big difference in what you would want depending on what you do.

cad tends to be better suited for dual screens since often you need alot of data on screen at once or in the case of 3d multiple view windows.

graphic design tends to be better suited for larger higher resolution screens such as the 2560x1600 displays. you could of course use dual screens and use the off screen as a toolbar workspace.

both fields benefit from as much working space as possible more so than increased screen size. i would say that two 22" screens side by side would be more beneficial to either than one 40" screen. after all, your resolution will double and this is what directly impacts screen real estate. the only benefit to a larger screen is for bad eyes or viewing from further distances.

fps gaming benefits most from single screens or triple screens. dualscreens do not work if you fullscreen across both since the reticle will be centered in the bezel. you will need to window on just one screen and turn the other off or have it as place for teamspeak, itunes, or other applications while you game.

some rts games can utilize dual screen and some cannot.

again, viewing 2d and 3d media is different than creating it. you can easily view finished documents on a single screen but when creating it two screens are superior. especially for 3d.

i have had my hand in both fields so i have quite a good idea about what works best. originally i was planning on doing freelance graphic design as even self taught i was better than half of the competition but ended up in the cad field (which is similar in many ways). i have worked with single monitors, one large tv as a monitor and two monitors and although very possible to do work on one monitor, two monitors really is ideal.

personally i prefer the professional monitors viewsonic offers (i have one 9 years old and it still works great) but dell and on occassion asus and acer are listed on the forums as suggestions.

i would not worry too much about contrast. most list dyamic contrast and do not list what they are testing.

first of all i would toss the notion of ultra low response times out the window. you do not want a tn panel which are the only panels offering 1-3ms timings. in general as long as the screen is of high quality and the absolute maximum response time is under 16ms you should be fine. my old viewsonic is listed at 16ms but likely is faster and it does not ghost. most new monitors are at least under 14.

for color range there really is only one choice. ips panels.

ips panels come in three four flavors. 6bit e-ips, 8bit s-ips and p-ips and 10bit h-ips. while technically capable of the same color accuracy of the lesser panels, some say e-ips does appear better. 8bit and 10bit models however can display more colors.

keep in mind that 8bit and 10bit ips panels only use ccfl backlighting and not led to my knowledge. they also might cost more.

e-ips while perhaps not as accurate as the other ips panels does have the advantage of being much cheaper. it also has the advantage of having the option of led backlighting to save power. since all ips panels have wide viewing angles i also would suggest them over tn and va panels especially for either large screens or multiscreen displays.

you can probably manage to find a pair of e-ips screens for $600-700 while a brand new 8bit ips screen might cost you as much for one. beware cheap knock off brands as even though on paper they are the same, the monitors are just not in the same league as the quality ones.
!