Yoda Stories

Has anyone here ever played Yoda Stories?

I don't remember whether the action was turned based or not, but it is on
the fringe of what might be classified as a roguelike. It's a well-made
game and I might recommend looking into it.

Anyway, Yoda Stories is different from other roguelikes that I am aware of
in that you can play a series of adventures with the same character. When
you start the game it asks you how long you want to play for and it
generates an appropriately sized map of an appropriate difficultly and lets
the player loose on it. This cool because if you have a 30 minute lunch
break you can generate a map that will ramp up to an exciting part in that
amount of time.

I was thinking about using this same dynamic for my game. Optionally I
could even let the player choose what kind of adventure they would like to
have {dungeon hack, wilderness, city, big battle, ect}. This could (but
doesn't have to) line up with doing particular quests. Everything about the
character would carry over from game to game.

Lots of people level scum in games like Angband that don't persist the
dungeon. Why not let people play exactly the type/size levels they feel
like? Sure beats hacking one's way through Sokoban for the 232th time.

Of course, it's not an either or situation. Anyone who likes to play one
long campaign can always just opt to generate a complete dungeon from the
beginning.

--
Blog:
Shedletsky's Bits: A Random Walk Through Manifold Space

This day of Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:57:43 -0400, "Shedletsky"
<mylastname@stanford.edu> saw fit to scribe:

>Has anyone here ever played Yoda Stories?
>
>I don't remember whether the action was turned based or not, but it is on
>the fringe of what might be classified as a roguelike. It's a well-made
>game and I might recommend looking into it.

No, the action wasn't turn-based. If you sat there, enemies would come
along and kill you. It was tick based, though; not quite realtime.

>Anyway, Yoda Stories is different from other roguelikes that I am aware of
>in that you can play a series of adventures with the same character. When
>you start the game it asks you how long you want to play for and it
>generates an appropriately sized map of an appropriate difficultly and lets
>the player loose on it. This cool because if you have a 30 minute lunch
>break you can generate a map that will ramp up to an exciting part in that
>amount of time.
>
>I was thinking about using this same dynamic for my game. Optionally I
>could even let the player choose what kind of adventure they would like to
>have {dungeon hack, wilderness, city, big battle, ect}. This could (but
>doesn't have to) line up with doing particular quests. Everything about the
>character would carry over from game to game.

Seems like a really nifty idea to me. Having a small element of
character build-up across missions was nice. And if I remember
correctly, as you completed more, you got more stuff from Yoda like more
weapons, force powers; and there was even some kind of more-or-less
overarching plot one way or another. (I think.)

--
David C. Haley
http://david.the-haleys.org

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:57:43 -0400, "Shedletsky"
<mylastname@stanford.edu> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Has anyone here ever played Yoda Stories?

Yes! Very fun game.

>I don't remember whether the action was turned based or not, but it is on
>the fringe of what might be classified as a roguelike. It's a well-made
>game and I might recommend looking into it.

It's real-time, but the monsters move quite slowly. A roguelike with
Yoda Stories gameplay would definitely be interesting...

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]

"Shedletsky" <mylastname@stanford.edu> wrote in message
> Has anyone here ever played Yoda Stories?

I loved this game, and was very disappointed when I discovered it would not
run on WindowsXP and they would never be providing a patch for it to run...
:-(

When they generated maps they would stick standard areas together (each area
was slightly larger than the screen size) into a map. Many of these
standard areas had a couple of choke points (to go west to east you had to
pass through a single space). They could then place an obstacle at that
choke point that you would need to overcome and place the key to unlocking
that obstacle within the accessible portion of the map.

The longer you said you wanted to play for the larger the number of areas,
and the greater the number of obstacles. They also had different tilesets
(and possible tile overlays) that greatly increased the replayability. The
screens looked entirely different if it was a field as opposed to a desert
or a tundra or a swampland. Many of the regions also included pre-defined
spots where something could be placed (such as a troop transport, a broken
down land speeder, or a large animal). This added to the replayability as
well.

The game was definitely real-time, but not overly fast. This was the same
basic engine as thier Indian Jones Desktop Adventures game.

> I was thinking about using this same dynamic for my game. Optionally I
> could even let the player choose what kind of adventure they would like to
> have {dungeon hack, wilderness, city, big battle, ect}. This could (but
> doesn't have to) line up with doing particular quests. Everything about
> the
> character would carry over from game to game.

Some other games you might be interested in looking at include HeroQuest and
Lost Labyrinth. HeroQuest (based on the board game) is a primitive type of
Rogue game where heroes can be re-used between quests
(http://www.allegro.cc/depot/project.php?_id=1054) and Lost Labyrinth just
comes close to the nice look of Yoda Stories (imho)
(http://laby.toybox.de/index.php3?sprache=1).

FatherNature

Father Nature <d.s.mitchell@verizon.net> schrieb:
> "Shedletsky" <mylastname@stanford.edu> wrote in message
>> Has anyone here ever played Yoda Stories?

> I loved this game, and was very disappointed when I discovered it
> would not run on WindowsXP and they would never be providing a patch
> for it to run... :-(

They've found a way to do most anything in WinXP these days.
http://www.ntcompatible.com/cdetail6389.html

--
Jim Strathmeyer

"Shedletsky" <mylastname@stanford.edu> wrote:
>Has anyone here ever played Yoda Stories?
>
>I don't remember whether the action was turned based or not,

I doubt it. The Indiana Jones one using (IIRC) the same engine wasn't.

>but it is on
>the fringe of what might be classified as a roguelike. It's a well-made
>game and I might recommend looking into it.
>
>Anyway, Yoda Stories is different from other roguelikes that I am aware of
>in that you can play a series of adventures with the same character. When
>you start the game it asks you how long you want to play for and it
>generates an appropriately sized map of an appropriate difficultly and lets
>the player loose on it. This cool because if you have a 30 minute lunch
>break you can generate a map that will ramp up to an exciting part in that
>amount of time.
>
>I was thinking about using this same dynamic for my game. Optionally I
>could even let the player choose what kind of adventure they would like to
>have {dungeon hack, wilderness, city, big battle, ect}. This could (but
>doesn't have to) line up with doing particular quests. Everything about the
>character would carry over from game to game.
>
>Lots of people level scum in games like Angband that don't persist the
>dungeon. Why not let people play exactly the type/size levels they feel
>like? Sure beats hacking one's way through Sokoban for the 232th time.
>
>Of course, it's not an either or situation. Anyone who likes to play one
>long campaign can always just opt to generate a complete dungeon from the
>beginning.

> Some other games you might be interested in looking at include HeroQuest
and
> Lost Labyrinth. HeroQuest (based on the board game) is a primitive type
of
> Rogue game where heroes can be re-used between quests
> (http://www.allegro.cc/depot/project.php?_id=1054) and Lost Labyrinth just
> comes close to the nice look of Yoda Stories (imho)
> (http://laby.toybox.de/index.php3?sprache=1).

HeroQuest is a great board game! Lost Labyrinth looks interesting and
well-made, I'll have to give it a try tonight. Thanks for pointing it out to
me!

--
Blog:
Shedletsky's Bits: A Random Walk Through Manifold Space
http://www.stanford.edu/~jjshed/blog

I remember Yoda stories as being an excellant game! will it run on wine?