  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 2, 2005 7:21:25 PM

It was one year ago that I first did a quick survey of roguelike games
to get some idea what the failure rate was.

At the time, it was determined that 27% of listed roguelikes had been
updated in the previous six months.

Since then, I have continued to track actively developing roguelikes.
You can check the latest listing at:

http://thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org/

Now, onto the meaningless bar graphs...

l #
l #
l #
l # # #
l # # #
l # ## #
l # ## #
l # ## #
l # ## #
l # ## #
l # ## # # #
l # ## # # #
l #### # # # ## #
l ##### ###### ## # # # # #
l ############ ### ## #### ####### ## ####
l -------------------------------------------
l 000000000111111111122222222223333333333444>
l 123456789012345678901234567890123456789012>

This tracks number of roguelikes by last release date. The first
column has a # for every roguelike released in the last month (counting
all of June and the single release so far in July) The very last
column contains all the roguelikes of unknown release date or which are
over 42 months since the last release.

The peek at the four month old mark is partly due to the 7DRL contest.
In the 03/04 categories are 9 7DRLs.

Numbers:
Month # Total Percent
1 15 15 15%
2 3 18 17%
3 10 28 27%
4 12 40 39%
5 2 42 42%
6 1 43 42%
7 5 48 47%
8 2 50 49%
9 3 53 51%
10 2 55 53%
11 3 58 56%
12 2 60 58%
Rest 43 103 100%

The only historical datapoint we have is the actively developing
roguelike percentage. This is the percent of roguelikes that have been
updated in the last six months. One year ago, this stood at 27%.

It now stands at 42%. If we discount the 9 7DRLs (which I do not think
we should do) we'd have a percentage of 36%.

Having tracked the data for a year, I can also provide some commentary.
Roguelikes, it seems, have a much slower development cycle than many
give them credit for. Further, a much larger portion of roguelikes are
still being developed than people think. If you watch on a daily
level, it is easy to come to the conclusion that this field is in
stasis. Long term monitoring shows that a large number of roguelikes
(about 15) are in monthly development cycles.
--
Jeff Lait

More about : failure rates roguelike games

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 7:55:55 PM

Fascinating. How do you account for the spike 38 months ago?
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:12:45 PM

Jeff Lait noted in rec.games.roguelike.development:

> http://thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org/

What an incredibly handy resource. I haven't
even heard of some of these. Thank you.

-Bryce
July 2, 2005 10:22:25 PM

NIm <bladedpenguin@gmail.com> schrieb:
> Fascinating. How do you account for the spike 38 months ago?

Your viewing in a variable width font?

--
Jim Strathmeyer
Anonymous

It almost seems as if your link brought down
a few servers. Maybe there are more lurkers
here than I previously thought.

-Bryce
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:27:23 AM

On 2 Jul 2005 15:21:25 -0700, "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>It was one year ago that I first did a quick survey of roguelike games
>to get some idea what the failure rate was.
>
>At the time, it was determined that 27% of listed roguelikes had been
>updated in the previous six months.
>
>Since then, I have continued to track actively developing roguelikes.
>You can check the latest listing at:

Seems you missed an in-development release:

(It's more like a progress report - the version provided is not stable and
is save-file incompatable due to temporary breakage. )

>http://thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org/
>
>Now, onto the meaningless bar graphs...
>
>l #
>l #
>l #
>l # # #
>l # # #
>l # ## #
>l # ## #
>l # ## #
>l # ## #
>l # ## #
>l # ## # # #
>l # ## # # #
>l #### # # # ## #
>l ##### ###### ## # # # # #
>l ############ ### ## #### ####### ## ####
>l -------------------------------------------
>l 000000000111111111122222222223333333333444>
>l 123456789012345678901234567890123456789012>
>
>This tracks number of roguelikes by last release date. The first
>column has a # for every roguelike released in the last month (counting
>all of June and the single release so far in July) The very last
>column contains all the roguelikes of unknown release date or which are
>over 42 months since the last release.
>
>The peek at the four month old mark is partly due to the 7DRL contest.
>In the 03/04 categories are 9 7DRLs.
>
>Numbers:
>Month # Total Percent
>1 15 15 15%
>2 3 18 17%
>3 10 28 27%
>4 12 40 39%
>5 2 42 42%
>6 1 43 42%
>7 5 48 47%
>8 2 50 49%
>9 3 53 51%
>10 2 55 53%
>11 3 58 56%
>12 2 60 58%
>Rest 43 103 100%
>
>The only historical datapoint we have is the actively developing
>roguelike percentage. This is the percent of roguelikes that have been
>updated in the last six months. One year ago, this stood at 27%.
>
>It now stands at 42%. If we discount the 9 7DRLs (which I do not think
>we should do) we'd have a percentage of 36%.
>
>Having tracked the data for a year, I can also provide some commentary.
> Roguelikes, it seems, have a much slower development cycle than many
>give them credit for. Further, a much larger portion of roguelikes are
>still being developed than people think. If you watch on a daily
>level, it is easy to come to the conclusion that this field is in
>stasis. Long term monitoring shows that a large number of roguelikes
>(about 15) are in monthly development cycles.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:36:29 AM

oops
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:50:40 PM

Jeff Lait wrote:
> It was one year ago that I first did a quick survey of roguelike games
> to get some idea what the failure rate was.
>
> At the time, it was determined that 27% of listed roguelikes had been
> updated in the previous six months.
>
> Since then, I have continued to track actively developing roguelikes.
> You can check the latest listing at:
>
> http://thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org/

HA! has been updated more recently... (not a release, just the latest build)

http://www.heroicadventure.com/dev/release/ha017_latest...
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:30:25 PM

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> On 2 Jul 2005 15:21:25 -0700, "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >It was one year ago that I first did a quick survey of roguelike games
> >to get some idea what the failure rate was.
> >
> >At the time, it was determined that 27% of listed roguelikes had been
> >updated in the previous six months.
> >
> >Since then, I have continued to track actively developing roguelikes.
> >You can check the latest listing at:
>
> Seems you missed an in-development release:
>
> (It's more like a progress report - the version provided is not stable and
> is save-file incompatable due to temporary breakage. )

I've tried twice now to look that up by message id, but failed both
times. Could you provide the author, title, and date, and I'll try
again?
--
Jeff Lait
July 3, 2005 7:38:49 PM

Heroic Adventure wrote:
> Jeff Lait wrote:
> > It was one year ago that I first did a quick survey of roguelike games
> > to get some idea what the failure rate was.
> >
> > At the time, it was determined that 27% of listed roguelikes had been
> > updated in the previous six months.
> >
> > Since then, I have continued to track actively developing roguelikes.
> > You can check the latest listing at:
> >
> > http://thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org/
> >

> HA! has been updated more recently... (not a release, just the latest build)
>
> http://www.heroicadventure.com/dev/release/ha017_latest...

If you want me to index it, it'll have to be something I can find from
the main page. The main page seems very explicit that there isn't a
0.1.7. The development journal also states explicitly that it is an
8/31 release time for 0.1.7.
--
Jeff Lait
July 4, 2005 1:41:13 AM

Jeff Lait wrote:
> Heroic Adventure wrote:
>
>>Jeff Lait wrote:
>>
>>>It was one year ago that I first did a quick survey of roguelike games
>>>to get some idea what the failure rate was.
>>>
>>>At the time, it was determined that 27% of listed roguelikes had been
>>>updated in the previous six months.
>>>
>>>Since then, I have continued to track actively developing roguelikes.
>>>You can check the latest listing at:
>>>
>>>http://thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org/
>>>

>>HA! has been updated more recently... (not a release, just the latest build)
>>
>>http://www.heroicadventure.com/dev/release/ha017_latest...
>

> If you want me to index it, it'll have to be something I can find from
> the main page. The main page seems very explicit that there isn't a
> 0.1.7. The development journal also states explicitly that it is an
> 8/31 release time for 0.1.7.

no problem. You are correct, releases are quarterly (with the next one
due on 8/31) I have just recently started adding a "latest build" for
those folks who don't wish to wait three months between updates. I'll
add a link to the main site.

S.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:50:34 AM

On 3 Jul 2005 15:30:25 -0700, "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Raymond Martineau wrote:
>> On 2 Jul 2005 15:21:25 -0700, "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >It was one year ago that I first did a quick survey of roguelike games
>> >to get some idea what the failure rate was.
>> >
>> >At the time, it was determined that 27% of listed roguelikes had been
>> >updated in the previous six months.
>> >
>> >Since then, I have continued to track actively developing roguelikes.
>> >You can check the latest listing at:
>>
>> Seems you missed an in-development release:
>>
>> (It's more like a progress report - the version provided is not stable and
>> is save-file incompatable due to temporary breakage. )
>
>I've tried twice now to look that up by message id, but failed both
>times. Could you provide the author, title, and date, and I'll try
>again?

Best to give the Google groups link, as most news servers don't keep
messages for more than a week:
http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.games.roguelike.angba...
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:27:04 PM

"Heroic Adventure" <spambucket@heroicadventure.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Lait wrote:
>> Heroic Adventure wrote:

>>>HA! has been updated more recently... (not a release, just the latest
>>>build)
>>>
>>>http://www.heroicadventure.com/dev/release/ha017_latest...
>>

>> If you want me to index it, it'll have to be something I can find from
>> the main page. The main page seems very explicit that there isn't a
>> 0.1.7. The development journal also states explicitly that it is an
>> 8/31 release time for 0.1.7.
>
> no problem. You are correct, releases are quarterly (with the next one due
> on 8/31) I have just recently started adding a "latest build" for those
> folks who don't wish to wait three months between updates. I'll add a link
> to the main site.
>
> S.
[ To run this application, you first must install one of the following
versions of the .Net Framework: v2.0.40607. ]

While I would enjoy checking out HA, building a release around a BETA
version of the .Net doesn't seem like a good idea. v2.0 beta2 loads spurious
api's and has many artefacts that could cause problems for those that need
to use .Net for other real world purposes.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:27:05 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:27:04 GMT, William Klett wrote:

>"Heroic Adventure" <spambucket@heroicadventure.com> wrote in message
>> Jeff Lait wrote:

>>> If you want me to index it, it'll have to be something I can find from
>>> the main page. The main page seems very explicit that there isn't a
>>> 0.1.7. The development journal also states explicitly that it is an
>>> 8/31 release time for 0.1.7.
>>
>> no problem. You are correct, releases are quarterly (with the next one due
>> on 8/31) I have just recently started adding a "latest build" for those
>> folks who don't wish to wait three months between updates. I'll add a link
>> to the main site.
>>
>> S.
>[ To run this application, you first must install one of the following
>versions of the .Net Framework: v2.0.40607. ]
>
>While I would enjoy checking out HA, building a release around a BETA
>version of the .Net doesn't seem like a good idea. v2.0 beta2 loads spurious
>api's and has many artefacts that could cause problems for those that need
>to use .Net for other real world purposes.

Just a thought - I haven't tried it - but what about mono?
--
auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
*****

In article <1120342885.213672.129740@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
torespondisfutile@hotmail.com says...
> It was one year ago that I first did a quick survey of roguelike games
> to get some idea what the failure rate was.
>
> At the time, it was determined that 27% of listed roguelikes had been
> updated in the previous six months.

So we can't tell whether these were successful or not, as they are
still under development. Of the 73% that were either completed or
abandoned, what percentage were successful?

- Gerry Quinn
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:01:30 PM

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2005 15:30:25 -0700, "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Raymond Martineau wrote:

> >> Seems you missed an in-development release:
> >>
> >> (It's more like a progress report - the version provided is not stable and
> >> is save-file incompatable due to temporary breakage. )
> >
> >I've tried twice now to look that up by message id, but failed both
> >times. Could you provide the author, title, and date, and I'll try
> >again?
>
> Best to give the Google groups link, as most news servers don't keep
> messages for more than a week:
> http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.games.roguelike.angba...

It's good to hear that sCtathBand is active.

Is there anything other than an ftp deep link to point to 1.0.20? I've
got thelist currently pointing to thangorodrim which still only lists
1.0.18. The website listed there also ends at 1.0.18. Is there some
other development website I should link to?
--
Jeff Lait
July 5, 2005 12:02:11 PM

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2005 15:30:25 -0700, "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Raymond Martineau wrote:

> >> Seems you missed an in-development release:
> >>
> >> (It's more like a progress report - the version provided is not stable and
> >> is save-file incompatable due to temporary breakage. )
> >
> >I've tried twice now to look that up by message id, but failed both
> >times. Could you provide the author, title, and date, and I'll try
> >again?
>
> Best to give the Google groups link, as most news servers don't keep
> messages for more than a week:
> http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.games.roguelike.angba...

It's good to hear that sCtathBand is active.

Is there anything other than an ftp deep link to point to 1.0.20? I've
got thelist currently pointing to thangorodrim which still only lists
1.0.18. The website listed there also ends at 1.0.18. Is there some
other development website I should link to?
--
Jeff Lait
July 5, 2005 2:38:53 PM

Well I use the 1.1 framework all day every day in production on
numerous machines that have the 2.0 beta installed and I have yet to
experience ANY problems, but your mileage may vary.

I'm not here to argue the merits of .NET or of a particular version of
the framework (it's already been done to death, over and over). If you
want to try it, please do so. If you don't want to, then feel free to
wait until the 2.0 framework final release ships or whenever suits your
fancy.

If you're curious, the reason I chose to use the 2.0 framework was
because it made things easier for me as a developer. Ultimately that's
the best reason there is, IMO.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:02:38 PM

I have not tried it with mono. If you do, and have any success please
let me know and I'll certainly look into it further.

Thanks!!
S.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:45:24 PM

On 5 Jul 2005 11:02:38 -0700, Sama wrote:

>I have not tried it with mono. If you do, and have any success please
>let me know and I'll certainly look into it further.

Well... as I've said before - in this group, no less - I don't do .Net,
and that includes Mono. What I meant was, does it run on Mono, and is it
worth it?
--
auric underscore underscore at hotmail dot com
*****
Fine with me. We'll sit quietly. I can loathe you in silence.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:29:22 AM

Auric__ wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2005 11:02:38 -0700, Sama wrote:
>

>>I have not tried it with mono. If you do, and have any success please
>>let me know and I'll certainly look into it further.
>

> Well... as I've said before - in this group, no less - I don't do .Net,
> and that includes Mono. What I meant was, does it run on Mono, and is it
> worth it?

well... "worth it" is pretty subjective... it is to me. Although I
haven't tried mono yet either. heh

S.
!