Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Hey,

I was wondering what vanilla means as a variant. I have seen mentions
to a vanilla nethack, vanilla angband, and i think another...

I was wondering if these has anything in common. Do variants get named
vanilla because of something universally specific to them. Just
wondering.

Thanks.

-Thomas
RL: CHAZM

Thomas wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was wondering what vanilla means as a variant. I have seen mentions
> to a vanilla nethack, vanilla angband, and i think another...
>
> I was wondering if these has anything in common. Do variants get named
> vanilla because of something universally specific to them. Just
> wondering.

Yeah, pretty specific. Vanilla means the original game :)
In other words, no variant.

"Thomas" <comments@foresightsagas.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hey,
>
> I was wondering what vanilla means as a variant. I have seen mentions
> to a vanilla nethack, vanilla angband, and i think another...

Here's the long explanation (from Jargon file):

1. (Default flavour of ice cream in the US) Ordinary
flavour, standard. When used of food, very often does not
mean that the food is flavoured with vanilla extract! For
example, "vanilla wonton soup" means ordinary wonton soup, as
opposed to hot-and-sour wonton soup. Applied to hardware and
software, as in "Vanilla Version 7 Unix can't run on a
vanilla PDP 11/34." Also used to orthogonalise chip
nomenclature; for instance, a 74V00 means what TI calls a
7400, as distinct from a 74LS00, etc. This word differs from
canonical in that the latter means "default", whereas
vanilla simply means "ordinary". For example, when hackers go
to a chinese restaurant, hot-and-sour wonton soup is the
canonical wonton soup to get (because that is what most of
them usually order) even though it isn't the vanilla wonton
soup.

copx