Sign in with
Your question

Using existing software on a new-build

Last response: in Windows 7
January 14, 2013 8:24:37 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a geniune copy of windows 7 ultimate (32-bit and 64-bit disks and product keys) installed on a desktop and laptop - the desktop has died on me but seems to be a hardware fault, and not with the hard-drive either.

I was wondering how I would go about getting my windows 7 to install on a new drive in a new build? Can I clone the hard-drive and put it on the new drive? Will that bring the full operating system (including office which is also installed on there). Is there a way of getting the product key for windows 7 released so I can install it fresh on the new build? Do I really to pay £100+ for a full new version?

Questions questions questions!

Thanks!
January 14, 2013 8:25:26 PM

P.S I'm UK based, if that helps with advice on contacting Microsoft for a release of the key - US numbers won't work!

Thanks again!
a b $ Windows 7
January 14, 2013 8:37:20 PM

If it's an entirely new build and an OEM license then yes you must purchase a new product key.

This will help to clarify

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
Related resources
January 14, 2013 9:10:00 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

I have had a look at OEM versions, as they are a lot cheaper! I don't plan on doing any major upgrades to the new build once it's all completed so its an option.

Just to clarify though, the version I currently have on my dead desktop is NOT an OEM version, its the proper retail on-a-disk windows. Can I clone my hard-drive?
January 14, 2013 9:19:32 PM

what you'll need to do is use sysprep it back to factory install state or shrinkwrap state or something like that. sysprep is a reskit tool. It tells the OS to do device detection again so you shouldn't run into device driver conflicts. It should be like you just installed windows except all your apps and docs should be already there. I haven't sysprepped a win7 install but I know sysprep is still available.
a b $ Windows 7
January 14, 2013 9:25:06 PM

conthejedi said:
Hi everyone,

I have a geniune copy of windows 7 ultimate (32-bit and 64-bit disks and product keys) installed on a desktop and laptop - the desktop has died on me but seems to be a hardware fault, and not with the hard-drive either.

I was wondering how I would go about getting my windows 7 to install on a new drive in a new build? Can I clone the hard-drive and put it on the new drive? Will that bring the full operating system (including office which is also installed on there). Is there a way of getting the product key for windows 7 released so I can install it fresh on the new build? Do I really to pay £100+ for a full new version?

Questions questions questions!

Thanks!

Keep in mind, Windows 7 Ultimate (retail) comes with the dvd(s) for both 32-bit and 64-bit, however, you are only legally allowed to activate (use) install it on one computer, not two. If you bought the Family (3) Pack product, then you could install it on 3.
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 1:43:52 PM

bliq said:
what you'll need to do is use sysprep it back to factory install state or shrinkwrap state or something like that. sysprep is a reskit tool. It tells the OS to do device detection again so you shouldn't run into device driver conflicts. It should be like you just installed windows except all your apps and docs should be already there. I haven't sysprepped a win7 install but I know sysprep is still available.

Sysprep is now built into Windows 7. It lives under C: > Windows > System 32 > Sysprep.

If your building a new build i'd do a fresh install personally... versus cloning the drive. I'd back up all the programs / software you need. And move that over to same install time. But as far as the OS etc i'd do it clean just so you don't run into driver issues. Ive seen mixed reviews especially on threads here as to how well cloning a drive works.
!