Solved

Can i buy oem and use it in my computer

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • OEM
Last response: in Windows 7
January 14, 2013 8:43:28 PM

Alright so I bought a computer off of craigslist for 300 dollars I figured I could afford to upgrade, well upgrading turned into building a whole new pc lol. So now im selling the old rig to my dad for 150 cause im such a nice son, and i was going to include everything that came with the computer which also had a 500gb hdd with windows 7 pro on it (which is currently in my new build).

What im wondering is it technically legal for me to buy a oem copy put in the old system and sell it to my dad? I just do not get why windows 7 full retail is still so expensive its annoying as hell. What happens if I install an oem copy on a computer and dont sell it lol?

More about : buy oem computer

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2013 2:27:18 AM

You can find more information in regards to the different versions of Windows 7 HERE.

I would recommend looking over this post for more information.

In a nutshell, an OEM copy of Windows is tied to whatever motherboard it was FIRST installed on. The product key cannot be transferred (in most cases) or re-used on a different system with a different motherboard. That is one of the reasons why OEM versions are significantly cheaper than retail versions.
January 15, 2013 6:50:35 AM

Right I have windows 7 pro full retail on one computer, and i am going to get windows home premium oem to put on the computer i am selling to my dad, just wondering if its legal since technically oem versions are for major resellers.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2013 6:58:10 AM

Well I found my answer with handy dandy google, usually i go to that first but I like the insight fullness of the people on tomsharware. Thanks for your answer anyways, but i already knew the differences between them.
m
l
January 15, 2013 6:58:27 AM

Best answer selected by Davschall.
m
l
!