DDR 256mb, PC2100
Fan JMC Artic Wind Plus
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32 MB DDR SDRAM AGP
Sound Blaster Live MP3+ 5.1
IBM Deskstar 60GXP
IBM Deskstar 45GXP
Pioneer DVD-115GA
Plextor PlexWriter 12/10/32A

Everything was working fine this morning, but I did notice that the case was hot to the touch. When I opened it, there was a pocket of heat right where the cpu was.
And the cpu fan was spinning. So I bought a case fan to help suck the heat out the back of the case. Now the cpu fan is not working. According to the BIOS, the cpu temp was 101c/214.5f before I freaked out and shut everything off.
The Tech support for J&N Computer Services(where I bought the motherboard) said the power supply may have shorted when I plugged in the case fan. A tech support friend of mine said the motherboard is the problem. Before I run out and spend more money, I need to know if anyone else had this problem before and had how did they resolve it.

Thanks.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AHAHAHAHAHAAHA, you paid for AMD CPU and you got AMD CPU. GG now live with your brilliant decision on buying AMD product.

Got any marshmellows?

Im sure now that you hit that high of temp your CPU has been damaged to some degree. I hope it works still but you have severe anomolies crashing you every few seconds.

RMA asap and get a Intel based machine. you can still use your processor after the HSF fails.

Most AMD lemmings claim that HSF never fail and the Mobo will shut your machine down =) I guess they were wrong huh?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
by your description and events it sounds like either the fan died and took the cpu with it or the cpu died and took out the fan during it's swan song.

your next move is to get RMA #'s for all the faulty equipment you have paid for(all).

send it directly back to the reseller or manufacturer and get yourself a refund or replacement.

my sympathies go out to all who are now discovering the marvels of the self immolating Athlons @ 1.33Ghz.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

DLJ

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
I'm "glad" I've made everyone's day with this problem. Now that you've wiped the tears from eyes, can you recommend an Intel board for me? I want to do video editing and I need something that would handle that. Thank you for your help....I think?

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Don't stoop o there level and go with intel. Athlons do take cooling skill but intels are no fun because they don't. Have you considered the possiblity that the fan died?! Get a <A HREF="http://www.noisecontrol.de" target="_new">silverado</A>.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

DLJ

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
Actually you're right Tempus. It wasn't the cpu, it was the fan. I've sent it back to the resellers because it's under warranty.

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
did you plug in the case fan into a header on the board?
or was it through a pass-thru cable?

hmm, this has never happened to be fortunately.. and at one time I had a 120mm fan plugged into my mobo

DLJ

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
It was a $7.00 case cooling fan from Antec. I just plug it into one of the power cables, not into the mobo. It's only 3.125 inches, 80mm, 12 volts.