Using multiple sound outputs

Nicknack32

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello Toms,

Im not sure this is in the correct category, but my question is:

I like to play games with headphones on so I can hear voice chat and in game sounds, but I also like to listen to music. It would be a ton easier for me if I could play my music thats on my computer through my speakers, and still listen to game and such in the headphones. I have not been able to find any way to use multiple jacks on my computer in the way Id like to. Is it impossible or is there some software solution?

Solution

You would have to have two different audio delivery methods (onboard audio or add on card) that would allow one output to the speakers and the other to your headphones. I've seen this done in one other configuration but it was still...

cl-scott

Honorable
From a purely technical standpoint, there's no reason this can't be done; but from a more practical standpoint, there are a number of significant hurdles that would need to be overcome to make this happen. So, at least for the time being, this is effectively impossible.

You would have to have two different audio delivery methods (onboard audio or add on card) that would allow one output to the speakers and the other to your headphones. I've seen this done in one other configuration but it was still extremely flaky because the computer was getting confused 90% of the time.

Solution

Leduar Hevia

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

OK, this is what I did and it work (same sound card, but you can only use windows media player and any other sound output)
1. you set the default for volume playback as W.E you want for the (w.e other sound)X-sound to play.
2. go to Media player Organize/Options/Devices, and you will select the sound device you want media player to play and set it to ONLY play at that output.
THIS WORKED FOR ME IN WINDOWS 7 ULT 64 BITS. good luck guys