Avast Question

garrettk4

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Hello,

I don't know if this is the proper section but I'm having problems with Avast. I initially installed it because my computer teacher said it was one of the better free anti viruses out there. I thought I would have to uninstall Trend Micro Internet Security but I didn't. I know it's bad to have two Anti-virus programs on the same computer. I merely wanted to try the program out. Now that I want to uninstall Avast, I can't. It won't let me. In fact it's not even listed under installed programs. But when I click on the up arrow on the right hand side of the taskbar it's there running saying I'm unprotected.

Reasons why I'm getting rid of it: I don't like it, I'm going with Trend Micro, and it's blocking itunes from opening.

So I go into my main drive and I find the Avast software, click on it try to delete. It says I need administrator access. (I am the admin on the computer, my account is administrator). Went into safe mode still didn't work.

So at one time I was cleaning space on my SSD and I tried to move Avast over to the other hard drive. I was successful then I tried to delete it and was successful but now its on my SSD and I can't get rid of it.

It's getting to the point where I'm going to do a clean install of windows and have to install everything all over again.

If you have any other suggestions or ideas I will gladly try them, but reinstalling windows is my last resort.

Specs:
W7 Pro 64
i5 3570k + CM Hyper 212+
16gb 1600mhz 4x4gb
Intel 520 120gb SSD
1TB HDD
2 HD 6870 Xfire
Corsair 600t & HX 750

Solution
Id take avast over trend micro. But you aren't supposed to install 2. You knew that. You did it anyway.why I can't imagine.

Your second problem is itunes is installed, which everyone knows is something you NEVER want to have happen. But as with any antivirus you can simply exclude programs, even malware like iTunes.

Third you moved it around between drives... You can't just copy and paste program files.....

4th go into avasts start menu folder and click the uninstall icon

5th when it told you to confirm you were admin you didn't do "run as admin"
Id take avast over trend micro. But you aren't supposed to install 2. You knew that. You did it anyway.why I can't imagine.

Your second problem is itunes is installed, which everyone knows is something you NEVER want to have happen. But as with any antivirus you can simply exclude programs, even malware like iTunes.

Third you moved it around between drives... You can't just copy and paste program files.....

4th go into avasts start menu folder and click the uninstall icon

5th when it told you to confirm you were admin you didn't do "run as admin"

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

:lol: Oh I agree with that so much. Stupid damn iTunes. I love my iPod but once I get the music on it I want it's time to uninstall iTunes.

garrettk4

Honorable
May 31, 2012

1. To test the differences and see which one I like more. I like trend more.

2. Did not know itunes was considered malware.

3. Did not know that either.

4. Avast isn't in start menu.

5. Nope never thought I had to.

Well whatever, thanks for your guys help and opinions. I'm just going to re install windows tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 217926

Actually have you tried CCleaner? It has a very handy uninstall utility.

iTunes is not really malware BTW. It is just so intrusive it might as well be. ;)