External hard drive

lisa_cortez84

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello, i have a toshiba 1TB external hard drive and when I plug into the computer (USB) light is on but I dont see it under drives nor under the disk management. Please help I have a lot of stuff saved in there and it just gave up on me. I have tried on other computers and I have the same problem.

cl-scott

Honorable
If the drive fails on multiple computers, then either the drive or the enclosure is dead. You can try taking the drive out of the enclosure, and putting it in a new enclosure, hoping for the best. If that doesn't work, you can try some of the zero assumption recovery programs available to consumers, but if/when those fail, your only real remaining option is to send it to recovery services. Usually when people see the price tag, they decide the data wasn't that important after all.

I have to agree with you. Most consumers do not look into data recovery any further than the price tag because of simply that.

@lisa_cortez84: You may be out of luck. Most controllers for external drives are uniquely configured for those drives, but what cl-scott is definitely recommended.

You could open it up, and hook it up to a SATA port on the inside of another computer, if you do not have a computer yourself.
If it works, then you could buy another enclosure as the Asus rep. stated. ie. test first, then buy; not buy then test :)