Problem: Restoring Win 7 from backup image

travellersolo

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello all,

I created a backup image of my Win 7 and stored it in my D: partition (which is on the same HDD of C:). Recently I tried to install Ubuntu along with my Win 7 and made stupid mistake and it was installed on C: and wiped out my Win 7. Later I reformatted that partition back to Win format and reinstalled Win 7 on it (C:). I also have copied the backup image from D to C. I wish to restore my previous Win 7 from the old image stored in my D:

My problem is: I created a startup CD and used it to boot, and then go through the steps until where I can choose the image to restore (D: or E:), and always the following error message will pop up:

"The system image is on a hard disk, but Windows needs to format that disk to restore your computer. Choose a different image to restore."

Added info: my HDD was partitioned into C and D, but the program shows them as D and E. Whether I choose D or E, the above error message still pop up and the restoration fails always.

Please help.

The installation process is getting confused by the multiple images you have on the drive itself. It will show as D: and E: because if the computer has a restore partition (you didn't mention if it was a custom built machine) it will identify it as the primary partition (being C:). Unfortunately, you may not be able to restore using the image you created because it may be either corrupted or non-bootable.